Dublin Forum

Dublin v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MesAmis:  "
Replying To AthCliath:  "

Be great if Ireland do win , but personally i think they are useless with no leaders and will at best get a 0-0 . As for the Dublin game I'd imagine people who are going now will still go."
Loadsa people will change their plans if, a big if true, Ireland win.

Most of my mates have not got tickets for Sunday just yet. They'll all go on Sunday once there isn't a clash."
They are not true fans then are they?...

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 22/06/2016 08:30:20    1870569

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "
Replying To MesAmis:  "[quote=AthCliath:  "

Be great if Ireland do win , but personally i think they are useless with no leaders and will at best get a 0-0 . As for the Dublin game I'd imagine people who are going now will still go."

Most of my mates have not got tickets for Sunday just yet. They'll all go on Sunday once there isn't a clash."
They are not true fans then are they?..."]your correct i would call them types floating supporters
ones who see whatever the buzz thing to go to that week
i dont think dublin are alone in this though all four counties will have ones
waiting on tonights result and decide then
problem here is the fac dublin are classed way above meath in media terms now
makes what normally is an easy sell a lot harder for both counties
to get people who go to big games to buy into it still being a big game
without the media telling them it is unfortunatly.
sure we will all be there supporting our counties thats all that matters

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 22/06/2016 09:20:17    1870588

Link

They are not true fans then are they?...
ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts:5713 - 22/06/2016 08:30:20

Obviously not.

They were at all the Home League games this year, and a good few of them made a number of the away games too. Football and hurling. Stood in the cold at Walsh Cup and O'Byrne Cup games this year and last with at least 3 of them. Most of them went to Kilkenny for the Laois match and were in Portlaoise the following week as well as in Croker for the Wexford game.

All of them have been actively involved in their GAA clubs most of their lives through playing football and hurling as well as now coaching underage teams.

But a few of them might not go on Sunday if Ireland are playing in a knock out game in a major tournament for the first time in 14 years and only the 5th time in history. So yeah not true fans.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12867 - 22/06/2016 10:21:27    1870612

Link

Well what it means is they are now more interested in soccer than Gaelic football.
I would go to Dublin match regardless of any other sport as they are the sport and team I support. Because something else happens to be on at same time makes no odds to me I support Dublin.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 22/06/2016 10:33:53    1870621

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "They are not true fans then are they?...
ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts:5713 - 22/06/2016 08:30:20

Obviously not.

They were at all the Home League games this year, and a good few of them made a number of the away games too. Football and hurling. Stood in the cold at Walsh Cup and O'Byrne Cup games this year and last with at least 3 of them. Most of them went to Kilkenny for the Laois match and were in Portlaoise the following week as well as in Croker for the Wexford game.

All of them have been actively involved in their GAA clubs most of their lives through playing football and hurling as well as now coaching underage teams.

But a few of them might not go on Sunday if Ireland are playing in a knock out game in a major tournament for the first time in 14 years and only the 5th time in history. So yeah not true fans."
I haven't been to many Dublin games in recent years.Am i not a true fan?Do i not qualify?

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 22/06/2016 10:49:24    1870636

Link

Ah lads , people entitled to do what they want.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 22/06/2016 11:04:03    1870649

Link

They are not true fans then are they?..."]I'm a season ticket holder for both Dublin football and hurling, I rarely miss a game but if Ireland were to get to the final 16 and it clashed with the Leinster semi final i would have no problem missing out on this one game to watch the football, mainly because I'd say the atmoshpere would be unreal and i have no problem admitting I'd be the biggest bandwagon supporter in whatever pub i end up in. It's not very often we (Ireland) qualify for big tournaments never mind getting to the knock-out stages but Dublin walk Leinster every year. Does that make me 'not a true fan' because I'd consider missing one game to watch Ireland play?

I'd still take Dublin winning Sam or Liam over Ireland winning the Euros but I'd be well on for a session if we got to the final 16.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/06/2016 11:09:01    1870652

Link

Don't know why my above post came out like that! I replied to the post!

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/06/2016 11:16:30    1870655

Link

They are not true fans then are they?..."]I'm a season ticket holder for both Dublin football and hurling, I rarely miss a game but if Ireland were to get to the final 16 and it clashed with the Leinster semi final i would have no problem missing out on this one game to watch the football, mainly because I'd say the atmoshpere would be unreal and i have no problem admitting I'd be the biggest bandwagon supporter in whatever pub i end up in. It's not very often we (Ireland) qualify for big tournaments never mind getting to the knock-out stages but Dublin walk Leinster every year. Does that make me 'not a true fan' because I'd consider missing one game to watch Ireland play?

I'd still take Dublin winning Sam or Liam over Ireland winning the Euros but I'd be well on for a session if we got to the final 16.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/06/2016 11:22:18    1870657

Link

Well if you support Dublin all the time and haven't much interest in soccer and just because it's hyped up decide to stay home and watch a soccer match instead of the team you support all year around.
I would actually label that foolish and easily lead more than anything else.
The perfect phrase to describe that would be the sheep syndrome.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 22/06/2016 11:22:31    1870658

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Well if you support Dublin all the time and haven't much interest in soccer and just because it's hyped up decide to stay home and watch a soccer match instead of the team you support all year around.
I would actually label that foolish and easily lead more than anything else.
The perfect phrase to describe that would be the sheep syndrome."
Foolish and easily lead? Right you are then hill. Doesn't matter that I've not missed a game all year (including O'Byrne and Walsh cup) unless the 2 codes clashed, I'm just a sheep. God forbid someone might want to enjoy an atmosphere with friends, be patriotic and want to see their country do well. Must be great to be the perfect Dublin fan hey?

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/06/2016 11:28:25    1870661

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "We'll see how many turn up when Ireland hammer Italy tomorrow night and the last 16 game is on Sunday!"
Ah it's a 2pm kick off then Sunday..plenty of time leg up to the hill from a nearby watering hole ;)

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2276 - 22/06/2016 11:28:57    1870662

Link

Replying To CroiGorm:  "
Replying To ziggy32001:  "[quote=MesAmis:  "[quote=AthCliath:  "

I'd still take Dublin winning Sam or Liam over Ireland winning the Euros but I'd be well on for a session if we got to the final 16."]You'd rather Dublin win an all Ireland than OleOleland win the euros, yet you'd rather go to a pub and watch OleOleland play a euro last 16 over a Dublin v Meath game ?

Rotten imo but each to their own.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13523 - 22/06/2016 11:33:34    1870664

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "
Replying To CroiGorm:  "[quote=ziggy32001:  "[quote=MesAmis:  "[quote=AthCliath:  "

I'd still take Dublin winning Sam or Liam over Ireland winning the Euros but I'd be well on for a session if we got to the final 16."]You'd rather Dublin win an all Ireland than OleOleland win the euros, yet you'd rather go to a pub and watch OleOleland play a euro last 16 over a Dublin v Meath game ?

Rotten imo but each to their own."]Yeah waynol, one this one occasion I would but i won't get it to it any further with you because we all know your feelings on the Irish football team so won't be expecting anything but grief from you about it. I'm not going to have people knock me as a Dublin fan because I'd consider supporting my country too.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/06/2016 11:42:50    1870666

Link

Why can't people do both, if, and a big IF Ireland do win later? It's on a 2pm and our game is on at 4pm?

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2276 - 22/06/2016 11:44:41    1870669

Link

Done with this site, too much hard work being in the presence of holier than though 'perfect' Dublin supporters. Enjoy the game Sunday lads and ladies.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 22/06/2016 11:45:38    1870670

Link

I haven't been to many Dublin games in recent years.Am i not a true fan?Do i not qualify?
cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts:4295 - 22/06/2016 10:49:24

Of course your not a true fan cueder. Not like Hill and Wayneo anyway. They really care!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12867 - 22/06/2016 11:47:36    1870671

Link

You'd rather Dublin win an all Ireland than OleOleland win the euros, yet you'd rather go to a pub and watch OleOleland play a euro last 16 over a Dublin v Meath game ?

Rotten imo but each to their own.
waynoI (Dublin) - Posts:11196 - 22/06/2016 11:33:34

Exactly each to their own man.

That's why Meath people can support both the Dubs and Liverpool instead of Meath and Ireland.

Just a random example.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12867 - 22/06/2016 11:49:12    1870675

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Well what it means is they are now more interested in soccer than Gaelic football.
I would go to Dublin match regardless of any other sport as they are the sport and team I support. Because something else happens to be on at same time makes no odds to me I support Dublin."
No it does not mean they are more interested in soccer than Gaelic Football necessarily. Most of them support Bohs, Ireland and the Dubs. All are involved in their GAA clubs in some capacity.

It might mean that they are more interested in a game (if it happens) that comes around once every 14 or so years then a game they see fairly regularly that doesn't have the same attraction that it once had.

Imagine that!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12867 - 22/06/2016 11:53:56    1870677

Link

Less of the true fan BS, if a Dublin result plucks on your heart strings you're a fan, it's ok to like both, not to mention it's an expensive hobby for a lot of people these days.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 22/06/2016 12:09:14    1870689

Link