Dublin Forum

Dublin v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Looking forward to your reason for Meath's big loss Toney.For Meath being outclassed.If you can keep it to under six thousand words i think we'll all be grateful.Cheers pal.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/06/2016 20:15:18    1872373

Link

Only disappointing aspect was that we didn't rattle their net, but then again, we didn't try to. It was like a warm up for a training session.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 26/06/2016 20:28:22    1872383

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Only disappointing aspect was that we didn't rattle their net, but then again, we didn't try to. It was like a warm up for a training session."
Yea,we didnt really create any goal chances.Something to work on for next game.I've no doubt the goals will come.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/06/2016 20:42:17    1872398

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Looking forward to your reason for Meath's big loss Toney.For Meath being outclassed.If you can keep it to under six thousand words i think we'll all be grateful.Cheers pal."
Here here

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13519 - 26/06/2016 21:15:27    1872434

Link

Very disappointed with out display today and management again.However well done lads and best of luck going forward.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 27/06/2016 00:12:42    1872519

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "Very disappointed with out display today and management again.However well done lads and best of luck going forward."
Ah fair play ziggy, no contest but meath's set up within your own borders have a lot to answer for.

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 27/06/2016 01:01:02    1872532

Link

Replying To KerryKillers:  "Ah fair play ziggy, no contest but meath's set up within your own borders have a lot to answer for."
He should have been gone last year.But look I don't want to go into that.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 27/06/2016 08:34:21    1872554

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "He should have been gone last year.But look I don't want to go into that."
Good man ziggy.Sporting and gracious as always.Hows the tonsils,bud?

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 27/06/2016 09:34:35    1872582

Link

Great to see Diarmuid Connolly back to his best.I was a little concerned about hos form over the last year or so but after two excellent games back - to - back i feel he is a man on a mission.What odds for footballer of the year?Early days but that point out near the Hogan Stand was a special score - Connolly's signature score,chip the ball into his hands,sell the defender a dummy,and with the outside of his right boot bend the ball from left to right and split the posts.Genius at work.Keep it up Diarmuid and we're on the way to retaining the All Ireland.Special talent.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 27/06/2016 09:59:24    1872599

Link

dissapointing game of football last night
has to first time ever seen meath concede defeat before the ball thrown in.
win the toss elect to play with strong wind and driving rain and put fourteen men behind the ball, madness.
damage limitation stuff from a team who say they dont fear dublin is very poor.
dermo and mccauley when introduced aside, this was a very average dublin performance
we went through the motions. Always got the feeling we could have shifted through the gears at any stage
but never went for the jugular at all, would have liken to see us go at them in last twenty minutes create goals.
but job done onto leinster final with chance to emulate the 70tys team.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 27/06/2016 11:14:45    1872651

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Good man ziggy.Sporting and gracious as always.Hows the tonsils,bud?"
crap! :D

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 27/06/2016 11:23:33    1872656

Link

I hope this is the last year people hype up Dublin v meath. That rivalry is gone. We've won 1 out of the last 10 championship meetings against Dublin. We can compete in the obyrne cup but that's it.

At this stage Dublin should be given a bye into the all Ireland quarter final and the winner of leinster put into the last qualifier round. We're just wasting everyone's time here. it's actually embarrassing that such a competition still exists.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 29/06/2016 00:40:21    1873609

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "dissapointing game of football last night
has to first time ever seen meath concede defeat before the ball thrown in.
win the toss elect to play with strong wind and driving rain and put fourteen men behind the ball, madness.
damage limitation stuff from a team who say they dont fear dublin is very poor.
dermo and mccauley when introduced aside, this was a very average dublin performance
we went through the motions. Always got the feeling we could have shifted through the gears at any stage
but never went for the jugular at all, would have liken to see us go at them in last twenty minutes create goals.
but job done onto leinster final with chance to emulate the 70tys team."
The keep-ball was orchestrated, they were practicing closing out bigger games down the line, maybe 2 or 3 points up with a few mins to go.
So I think they were playing it with the mindset that they were seeing a tight game out.
To far-fetched? Maybe not!

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 29/06/2016 01:24:06    1873614

Link

Replying To KerryKillers:  "The keep-ball was orchestrated, they were practicing closing out bigger games down the line, maybe 2 or 3 points up with a few mins to go.
So I think they were playing it with the mindset that they were seeing a tight game out.
To far-fetched? Maybe not!"
Oh I agree that's exactly what they were doing. But sd a supporter at the match id rather have seen them go for scores at the time

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 29/06/2016 10:45:28    1873679

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Oh I agree that's exactly what they were doing. But sd a supporter at the match id rather have seen them go for scores at the time"
I thought it was very impressive how they killed the game by holding onto possession in the latter stages of the game.Hopefully we will be in a similiar position later on in year.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 29/06/2016 11:32:54    1873706

Link

Cue

That's all you got to do against ultra defensive setups once you have a lead

Just knock it around and expose the futility of our opponents strategy

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 29/06/2016 13:21:26    1873794

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Cue

That's all you got to do against ultra defensive setups once you have a lead

Just knock it around and expose the futility of our opponents strategy"
Yea exactly.I'd be confident against Kerry or Tyrone if we got 5/6 points ahead with 20 mins to go.C Kilkenny can help shoring up the defense.I would love to win an All Ireland without having to suffer badly for the last 5-10 munutes.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 29/06/2016 13:32:45    1873804

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "I hope this is the last year people hype up Dublin v meath. That rivalry is gone. We've won 1 out of the last 10 championship meetings against Dublin. We can compete in the obyrne cup but that's it.

At this stage Dublin should be given a bye into the all Ireland quarter final and the winner of leinster put into the last qualifier round. We're just wasting everyone's time here. it's actually embarrassing that such a competition still exists."
You guys are the embarrassment, Not us.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13519 - 29/06/2016 15:34:39    1873873

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "You guys are the embarrassment, Not us."
Funny that because we're better than most other counties in Leinster. We're just the same old standard. Dublin have been brought to new professional heights that no team in Leinster can hope to get near unless the get lucky with an absolute golden generation and Dublin under perform or fall back for a few years. Dublin have gotten so good through a mixture of them realising their potential and finally using their far superior resources and the massive funding they receive from the GAA and the sports council.

Remember all those exciting Leinster matches you grew up with against a number of teams? Well say good bye because no more exciting championship matches until at least the quarters from now on. RTE player has a documentary on Dublin in 2005 at the minute. you played Longford, Meath, Wexford and laois in croker to win that title and the atmosphere was incredible at those fixtures compared to the embarrassing yawn fests we get nowadays.

The blame lies at the hands of the GAA who thought they need a super Dublin team. They seen Dublin fixtures against the likes of Meath and Kildare filing croker and leinster finals selling out against lesser counties. So they pushed ahead. But now we get crap leinster attendances and for what? For dublin to sell out an all ireland semi? sure they often did that anyway even when they we're "crap" (even though they weren't).

The right thing would have been to put all funding into the rest of the counties in Leinster and let Dublin fund themselves. You'd still win most Leinsters but at least you wouldn't have won 11/12 and possibly 10 out of the next 10. (That's if the championship isn't abolished before then).

Funny the aim was to get the GAA to do better than Rugby and soccer in Dublin. But instead they've just made the entire province of Leinster not give a sh*t about our inter county provincials. The only good thing to come from that idiotic idea is Dublin becoming a force in hurling. At least there's 1 positive.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 29/06/2016 22:02:51    1874049

Link

Jack Geoff., when you have dried your eyes and strip it all back

Dublin have Paul Flynn, Diarmuid Connolly. Ciaran Kilkenny, James mc Carthy, Stephen Cluxton. Bernard Brogan . Cian o Sullivan . Philly mc Mahon .Brian Fenton. Mdmc all playing in the same era . ( i could name a lot more)
A lot of teams might be lucky to have 3 or 4 guys like that on their team. That's ten I named.
Funding helps , but it doesn't guarantee you a Diarmuid Connolly or a Paul Flynn.
Having great players who are also leaders on the pitch are what win you All Ireland's. This cant be bought , no matter what way you try to wrap it up. We are fortunate that we have a great team at the moment .
Meath have the population , just not enough good players all playing at the same time like you did in the 80s and 90s. Maybe it will come around again who knows.
So stop feeling sorry for yourself and justifying your current poor state i n Leinster , On Dublins finances.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 30/06/2016 00:44:13    1874086

Link