Dublin Forum

Dublin v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Tonny1975:  "I backed Meath at 16/1 to win Leinster at the start of the year. Last time I bet against Dublin was when Donegal bet the Dubs. Ulster teams Kerry teams and Meath are not in awe of Dublin , do not have inferior complexs to Dublin. I'm not certain of a Meath win, how cud I. Bit I do believe they wil give the Dubs a real rattle. Because when Dublin are All Ireland champs. its happened 5 times 1977, 1984 and 2010 Dublin win by a couple and (Meath sud hav in 77 and 84). Or Meath beat all Ireland champios Dublin in 1964 and 1996. I think Dublin have peaked. I don't think this great Dublin team ( the team of the decade) will win another All Ireland. They mit win one , but that it. As this decade continues Dublin will get weaker Meath and Kildare and maybe Offaly will get stronger. While Westmeath and Laois have potential also. Dublin are not going to win the next five leinsters"
Sadly I have seen little progressing from Meath in MOD's reign to see us winning.Four years and I am yet to see a brilliant display from Meath.I doubt if all of a sudden it will happen against Dublin and if it did,we would still come up short.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 25/06/2016 20:07:55    1871959

Link

I should hav said 2012 not 2010

Tonny1975 (Mayo) - Posts: 114 - 25/06/2016 20:15:30    1871962

Link

Ziiggy hav a little faith . Don't write of Meath. Meath wil come again, maybe this year, if not in 2017. McEntee is in the wings to take over. Meath r going to get stronger as this decade continues. Nothing scares Dublin more then a strong Meath team, Dublin cannot handle a strong Meath team, cannot beat strong meath team . Between 2016 -2020 Meath wil reach Div 1 break into top 5 and push for Sam, Why not. Meath have reached all Ireland final every decade since 1930s. Only Kerry, Dublin and Galway hav as good a record. I believe its raining tomorrow . In 1986 in the rain and an underdog Meath team bet great Dublin team. In1996 in the rain an underdog Meath team bet a great Dublin team. Whats going happen in the rain 2016. Wait u will get a serious royal performance tomorrow.

Tonny1975 (Mayo) - Posts: 114 - 25/06/2016 20:35:00    1871968

Link

It is noticeable that Dublin contributor just throw slight digs and childish put downs towards Meath on this site . They Don't answer anything about Meath V Dublin rivalry, meaths great record v the dubs. I wil say it again, Dublin are top dogs in leinster , the kingpins in leinster. Meath r the underdogs. But there is something that really rattles Dublin about Meath. Even when Meath r so weak, they are unnerved. Dublin hav a problem in leinster for the last 70 years. That problem is Meath. Imagine if Meath win tomorrow. A completely unrated Meath team defeat their greatest team ever. Wat does that say. One thing Dublin sud never write of Meath, I can see tomorrow being another 1945, 1964, 1986, 1996.

Tonny1975 (Mayo) - Posts: 114 - 25/06/2016 20:43:33    1871972

Link

Replying To Tonny1975:  "It is noticeable that Dublin contributor just throw slight digs and childish put downs towards Meath on this site . They Don't answer anything about Meath V Dublin rivalry, meaths great record v the dubs. I wil say it again, Dublin are top dogs in leinster , the kingpins in leinster. Meath r the underdogs. But there is something that really rattles Dublin about Meath. Even when Meath r so weak, they are unnerved. Dublin hav a problem in leinster for the last 70 years. That problem is Meath. Imagine if Meath win tomorrow. A completely unrated Meath team defeat their greatest team ever. Wat does that say. One thing Dublin sud never write of Meath, I can see tomorrow being another 1945, 1964, 1986, 1996."
But our team is nowhere near as good as the teams of 86/96/Plus MOD is a poor manager imo and the players lack belief under him.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 25/06/2016 21:09:49    1871982

Link

Replying To Tonny1975:  "It is noticeable that Dublin contributor just throw slight digs and childish put downs towards Meath on this site . They Don't answer anything about Meath V Dublin rivalry, meaths great record v the dubs. I wil say it again, Dublin are top dogs in leinster , the kingpins in leinster. Meath r the underdogs. But there is something that really rattles Dublin about Meath. Even when Meath r so weak, they are unnerved. Dublin hav a problem in leinster for the last 70 years. That problem is Meath. Imagine if Meath win tomorrow. A completely unrated Meath team defeat their greatest team ever. Wat does that say. One thing Dublin sud never write of Meath, I can see tomorrow being another 1945, 1964, 1986, 1996."
Toney your very knowledgable on past teams and games.That's fine.But imo your talking through your hoop about Meath winning tomorrow.What Meath did 20,30,40 years ago will have zero bearing on tomorrows game.Meath are a long,long way off this Dublin teams quality.Keep the deficit under 10 wont be easy.Dublin to win with plenty to spare.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 25/06/2016 21:12:56    1871985

Link

Thing is Tony you are trying to stir something that's not there.
Meath are indeed a great footballing county, Dublin v Meath always stirs the blood. Jim Gavin and Dublin will be expecting a tough battle and will have trained very hard for this game. On form over the last 4 years we are rightly favourites, but MOD has been in the job a while now and has had a few cracks at Dublin, so really he should be getting closer.
Meath have every right to believe they can win this game , if by some chance they do overcome the very big odds stacked against them and win , they will not be unique and then on they will go to a Leinster final. Nothing more.
If we lose, we would still be in the competition and most probably would focus on what areas let us down.
As it stands , I can't wait for the game and it 15 lads against 15 lads.
Lets just see what happens.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 25/06/2016 21:13:17    1871986

Link

Relax tonney.Most Dubs and Meath on here have a mutual respect.We're only calling as we see it.I'd rather use the last five years evidence of both teams progress to make my prediction as opposed to games back in 1945.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 25/06/2016 21:19:10    1871990

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Relax tonney.Most Dubs and Meath on here have a mutual respect.We're only calling as we see it.I'd rather use the last five years evidence of both teams progress to make my prediction as opposed to games back in 1945."
yeah thats what I mean... I know what Tonney is saying and he is right in many ways,but Dublin have a superior squad have way more experience than Meath.Now sometimes if you have the better manager it can give you a chance.But I have seen little evidence of improvement in 4 years under Mick O'Dowd.In fact since Sean Boylan went we have had a number of managers and O'Dowd is without question the weakest.I do think if we had someone like Andy McEntee we could give Dublin a game,but just cannot see it under Mick and he does have some fine footballers to work with.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 25/06/2016 21:26:41    1871994

Link

One person said If meath win tomorrow they wud be not unique, I wud beg to differ , any time a young meath team beats Dublin , Meath become the dominant force in Leinster football eg 40s, 50s, 60s, 80s, 90s. Beating Dublin for Meath is bigger then ALL Ireland . I know the Meath mentality , beating Dublin changes everything. And that's s compliment to Dublin, Dublin r always hard to beat. Beating Dublin wud give Meath serious confidence, If Meath win Dublin tomorrow it would the beginning of a era in Leinster football. The same Galway beating Mayo is sign of change in the west. Meath to win by 3 tomorrow, 5 is to much.

Tonny1975 (Mayo) - Posts: 114 - 25/06/2016 22:02:38    1872015

Link

History and tradition means a lot in GAA, write Meath off at your peril. That will be Dublins downfall. It has an impact, history keeps repeating itself over and over again. If Meath win tomorrow , which I think they will or come very close to. Why wud be Meath not Kildare or louth beat Dublin. It wud be because of the tradition of Meath football. That's a fact.

Tonny1975 (Mayo) - Posts: 114 - 25/06/2016 22:08:39    1872019

Link

Replying To Tonny1975:  "One person said If meath win tomorrow they wud be not unique, I wud beg to differ , any time a young meath team beats Dublin , Meath become the dominant force in Leinster football eg 40s, 50s, 60s, 80s, 90s. Beating Dublin for Meath is bigger then ALL Ireland . I know the Meath mentality , beating Dublin changes everything. And that's s compliment to Dublin, Dublin r always hard to beat. Beating Dublin wud give Meath serious confidence, If Meath win Dublin tomorrow it would the beginning of a era in Leinster football. The same Galway beating Mayo is sign of change in the west. Meath to win by 3 tomorrow, 5 is to much."
Meath beat Dublin in 2010,that didn't do much for us though did it?

Look Meath simply do not have enough good players or showed enough signs of progress in the last few years.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 25/06/2016 22:21:28    1872030

Link

Replying To Tonny1975:  "History and tradition means a lot in GAA, write Meath off at your peril. That will be Dublins downfall. It has an impact, history keeps repeating itself over and over again. If Meath win tomorrow , which I think they will or come very close to. Why wud be Meath not Kildare or louth beat Dublin. It wud be because of the tradition of Meath football. That's a fact."
Yes Meath will beat Dublin again without question.But it won't be this year or next year.Meath have to be playing DV1 football before they can really compete.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 25/06/2016 22:22:43    1872031

Link

Good win today for the ladies over meath
3-19 v 2-04

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 25/06/2016 22:24:59    1872034

Link

Why did Meath not become dominant force in Leinster after they beat us in 2010.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 25/06/2016 23:16:18    1872053

Link

Why did Meath become a force after 2010 that's a simple answer. Meath teams r always strong from the mid of the decade and decline at the start of the next decade eg Meath teams 1964 -1970, Meath team 1986 -1991 Meath team 1996 -2001. The above shows Meath teams come to prominence in the middle of a decade and then start to decline at the beginning of the next decade. Every county goes thru 10 year cycles , new players appear on the scene. For example Donegal are always strong at the start of a decade eg Ulster Title 1972, 1983 All Ireland title 1992 and 2012. Tippeary Hurlers are always strong at the start of decade eg All Ireland titles 1971, 1991, 2001, 2010. By 2010 that Meath had played in 2 semi finals and won the leinster in 2010. They were at their peak in 2010 as a team . Some of the players were still but overall they were comingto end of their natural lifecycle. The second reason was the fallout of the Louth debacle in 2010. That game had a very serios impact on both Meath and louth. I would say both counties only recovered only recently. I think Meath players heads were basically gone after 2010. They never really recovered. Also the changing of manager nearly every meant players were not properly developed. They could not develop their confidence or style of with the change of manager nearly every year. Between 2006 and 2011 Meath had four managers. That led to no stability. Then Banty came in and it did not work our for him or us. It was a management mismatch. But that Meath under someone like Sean Boylan could have All Ireland in 2010 when that team was at their peak. People talk Kildare cud have won an AIl Ireland in 2010. I would personally say that Meath were more likely under proper management to win Sam. Between 2007 -2010 Kildare cud not beat Dublin, cud not win Leinster and cud not beat a top team and reached one semi final . Between 2007 -2010 Meath drew with Dublin , hammered Dublin , won 1 Leinster ( I know it was conterversial) and beat Galway, Mayo and the great Tyrone team of the noughties. In 2010 they were the best team in leinster. Between 2010-2011 they defeated Dublin by 10 points, Laois by 10 points , Offaly by 10 point and Louth by 11 points. In the quarter final coming up to half they were 7 points up V Kildare. Then Kildare scored 2 goals before half time and blew Meath away in the second half. But after the Louth debacle the Meath players heads were gone. They had forwards to win titles. Meath forwards at time eg Graham Gerathy, Peadar Byrne, young Sheridan, Farrell and Ward. The Two bray and young O Rourke before his injuries. After Kerry and Tyrone u cud say Meath had the best forwards in the country. But there was problems in midfield and defence. Also when Sean Boylan left just like when Ferguson left Man Utd after success. Both had meltodowns and there was general chaos on and off the field. Both men kept a lid on tensions in club/county. When Boylan left things began to slip and everything came to boil that bubbling under surface for year . But overall the Leinster final of 2010 finished that Meath team, they were never same.

Tonny1975 (Mayo) - Posts: 114 - 26/06/2016 00:26:55    1872075

Link

Replying To Tonny1975:  "Why did Meath become a force after 2010 that's a simple answer. Meath teams r always strong from the mid of the decade and decline at the start of the next decade eg Meath teams 1964 -1970, Meath team 1986 -1991 Meath team 1996 -2001. The above shows Meath teams come to prominence in the middle of a decade and then start to decline at the beginning of the next decade. Every county goes thru 10 year cycles , new players appear on the scene. For example Donegal are always strong at the start of a decade eg Ulster Title 1972, 1983 All Ireland title 1992 and 2012. Tippeary Hurlers are always strong at the start of decade eg All Ireland titles 1971, 1991, 2001, 2010. By 2010 that Meath had played in 2 semi finals and won the leinster in 2010. They were at their peak in 2010 as a team . Some of the players were still but overall they were comingto end of their natural lifecycle. The second reason was the fallout of the Louth debacle in 2010. That game had a very serios impact on both Meath and louth. I would say both counties only recovered only recently. I think Meath players heads were basically gone after 2010. They never really recovered. Also the changing of manager nearly every meant players were not properly developed. They could not develop their confidence or style of with the change of manager nearly every year. Between 2006 and 2011 Meath had four managers. That led to no stability. Then Banty came in and it did not work our for him or us. It was a management mismatch. But that Meath under someone like Sean Boylan could have All Ireland in 2010 when that team was at their peak. People talk Kildare cud have won an AIl Ireland in 2010. I would personally say that Meath were more likely under proper management to win Sam. Between 2007 -2010 Kildare cud not beat Dublin, cud not win Leinster and cud not beat a top team and reached one semi final . Between 2007 -2010 Meath drew with Dublin , hammered Dublin , won 1 Leinster ( I know it was conterversial) and beat Galway, Mayo and the great Tyrone team of the noughties. In 2010 they were the best team in leinster. Between 2010-2011 they defeated Dublin by 10 points, Laois by 10 points , Offaly by 10 point and Louth by 11 points. In the quarter final coming up to half they were 7 points up V Kildare. Then Kildare scored 2 goals before half time and blew Meath away in the second half. But after the Louth debacle the Meath players heads were gone. They had forwards to win titles. Meath forwards at time eg Graham Gerathy, Peadar Byrne, young Sheridan, Farrell and Ward. The Two bray and young O Rourke before his injuries. After Kerry and Tyrone u cud say Meath had the best forwards in the country. But there was problems in midfield and defence. Also when Sean Boylan left just like when Ferguson left Man Utd after success. Both had meltodowns and there was general chaos on and off the field. Both men kept a lid on tensions in club/county. When Boylan left things began to slip and everything came to boil that bubbling under surface for year . But overall the Leinster final of 2010 finished that Meath team, they were never same."
Fair play to ya, I've been wasting my time crying over losses in the past when all the time it was just a pure mathematical cycle, cheers mate.

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 26/06/2016 03:29:11    1872094

Link

Replying To Tonny1975:  "Why did Meath become a force after 2010 that's a simple answer. Meath teams r always strong from the mid of the decade and decline at the start of the next decade eg Meath teams 1964 -1970, Meath team 1986 -1991 Meath team 1996 -2001. The above shows Meath teams come to prominence in the middle of a decade and then start to decline at the beginning of the next decade. Every county goes thru 10 year cycles , new players appear on the scene. For example Donegal are always strong at the start of a decade eg Ulster Title 1972, 1983 All Ireland title 1992 and 2012. Tippeary Hurlers are always strong at the start of decade eg All Ireland titles 1971, 1991, 2001, 2010. By 2010 that Meath had played in 2 semi finals and won the leinster in 2010. They were at their peak in 2010 as a team . Some of the players were still but overall they were comingto end of their natural lifecycle. The second reason was the fallout of the Louth debacle in 2010. That game had a very serios impact on both Meath and louth. I would say both counties only recovered only recently. I think Meath players heads were basically gone after 2010. They never really recovered. Also the changing of manager nearly every meant players were not properly developed. They could not develop their confidence or style of with the change of manager nearly every year. Between 2006 and 2011 Meath had four managers. That led to no stability. Then Banty came in and it did not work our for him or us. It was a management mismatch. But that Meath under someone like Sean Boylan could have All Ireland in 2010 when that team was at their peak. People talk Kildare cud have won an AIl Ireland in 2010. I would personally say that Meath were more likely under proper management to win Sam. Between 2007 -2010 Kildare cud not beat Dublin, cud not win Leinster and cud not beat a top team and reached one semi final . Between 2007 -2010 Meath drew with Dublin , hammered Dublin , won 1 Leinster ( I know it was conterversial) and beat Galway, Mayo and the great Tyrone team of the noughties. In 2010 they were the best team in leinster. Between 2010-2011 they defeated Dublin by 10 points, Laois by 10 points , Offaly by 10 point and Louth by 11 points. In the quarter final coming up to half they were 7 points up V Kildare. Then Kildare scored 2 goals before half time and blew Meath away in the second half. But after the Louth debacle the Meath players heads were gone. They had forwards to win titles. Meath forwards at time eg Graham Gerathy, Peadar Byrne, young Sheridan, Farrell and Ward. The Two bray and young O Rourke before his injuries. After Kerry and Tyrone u cud say Meath had the best forwards in the country. But there was problems in midfield and defence. Also when Sean Boylan left just like when Ferguson left Man Utd after success. Both had meltodowns and there was general chaos on and off the field. Both men kept a lid on tensions in club/county. When Boylan left things began to slip and everything came to boil that bubbling under surface for year . But overall the Leinster final of 2010 finished that Meath team, they were never same."
Since 2010 I think Dublin have 7 survivors,Meath funnily enough only have 1 and that is Graham Reilly.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 26/06/2016 07:10:44    1872101

Link

Tony if/when we beat Meath today I really hope you disappear back into your box. Your long posts make me nauseous

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13523 - 26/06/2016 08:44:08    1872110

Link

Good man Tony ,
A decent read. a lot better than some of the stuff on HS. Maybe they need you in the dressing room.
Although I think it's more a fictional piece you've just presented.
Mind I will always be careful just before a big game to assume anything.
Enjoy the game today.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 26/06/2016 10:34:30    1872160

Link