Dublin Forum

Slán Jim Gavin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "Good post Jim, i have my reservations about Dessie, largely based on he plays quite open and i thin his teams have been vulnerable at the back, he can be a bit rigid in his philosophy, but you post jogged my memory and the 17 U21 side did have terrific defensive unit, hunted in packs.

Ill back whoever, im warming to the idea of Dessie as i look back on his underage record, we're good but its those tight games like the drawn game this year and the ones VS Mayo, were the decisions in the heat of it are make or break and that is the challenge for the manager.

Id be open minded about Pat G, as well, but i think his work situation would make him a long term appointment quite difficult seems the type of job where he might be able to commit for a year and then review it.

id go for those two, above any of the back room team there at the moment to be honest, i wouldn't go for Jayo i love him, but just think he doesn't have that selfless way about him, that might be harsh but thats my read of it. Darcy and Clarkey id be open minded about but would prefer if they stayed as part of a backroom if im being honest, i just don think they have been road tested enough for the leap to the big chair."
What about Mick Bohan guys.?

He has to be in with a strong shout - and he had previously worked with Jim.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 03/12/2019 10:52:44    2252890

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "What about Mick Bohan guys.?

He has to be in with a strong shout - and he had previously worked with Jim."
Hes doing terrific work with the women, so i would hate to see him leave there. I think its a big leap and i mean that respectively with all the add ons of the mens senior game, like the media intensity and managing that and the hype angle etc, again Pat and Dessie come up trumps here for experience. If he was to be an option going on id get him involved in a back room or U 20 role first, id like to see him combine that with what he does with the women if that was possible, but id see no reason to break what not broken for the women and all their success, when there seems like some good options around.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 03/12/2019 11:15:29    2252898

Link

I'm not overly shocked nor disappointed that jim has decided to leave. He was outstanding and what he and the team have achieved over the past 7 years is simply outrageous but if there is a time to take a step back from it, it's now.

There are alot of players there who will likely be retiring very soon and you just get the feeling that although Dublin will always be there or thereabouts challenging with the infrastructure and talent at our disposal, The national period of domination is coming to an end In near future and that's fine, nothing lasts forever. Kerry are up and coming and we will naturally go through some transition. What weve seen is the greatest team of all time and we as fans will always have that.

I'm excited actually. After the completion of 5 in a row, which was at the forefront of everyones mind going into last January, and the stresses and all encompassing emotions that come with that from a fans point of view, I'm kind of looking forward to going to games and not talking about a potential historic achievement. Its already boxed off and the pressure is off everyone so I reckon there will be a certain freedom and enjoyment among everyone, players and fans alike next year. A new manager, a new voice in the changing room, a more jovial atmosphere when we get back to it, a more healthy blood pressure etc watching the dubs is something I'm very much looking forward to.

For me now, that's it. Eternally grateful to jim gavin. No words will do justice to what we all think of him, gave us the greatest days of our Dublin supporting lives and the utmost respect and thanks to him, but now it's time for something else and someone else.

Roll on 2020

Up The Dubs!!

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13519 - 03/12/2019 15:22:01    2252954

Link

Thank you Jim for the memories, you ripped up the book when it came to the game , all we take for granted now was all so new some years ago , the strength of a squad , the mental strength of the player, Dublin never had a team so selfless and dedicated to team success. Best of luck whoever steps into your shoes

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 03/12/2019 18:44:31    2253001

Link

The greatest manager i have witnessed in my lifetime. He did his job and nothing, i mean nothing distracted from that. The psychology is amazing, to keep yourself focused on your job and not react or panic. Every person has something to learn from this, if I could work and think like that man, my life would be vastly improved. I saw a great video on twitter the other day that sums him up nicely. The video shows a brawl between dublin and the opposing side with selctors, water boys etc getting involved. And to the side of the shot, you can see Gavin strolling by like nothing is happening. This sums up his character, the brawl wasn't part of the objective, he was getting ready for what he had to do next.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 910 - 04/12/2019 10:21:49    2253118

Link