Dublin Forum

Slán Jim Gavin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

He's gone.

Go raibh maith agat Jim.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12863 - 30/11/2019 13:10:48    2252210

Link

This was posted as a new thread but since the subject matter is the same it has been incorporated here.

30/11/2019
13:11

jimbodub
(19727)

Thank You Jim

Your commitment to the cause will never be forgotten

You leave a legacy never seen before

You leave behind a team in great shape

Thank you for the most incredible memories

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2199 - 30/11/2019 13:33:54    2252227

Link

Thank you so much Jim.

dubdec99 (Dublin) - Posts: 164 - 30/11/2019 13:54:37    2252236

Link

Up there with Heffo as our best ever
That, for any Dub, is the ultimate copliment
Thank you Jim

Thank you

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 30/11/2019 14:42:44    2252252

Link

What a legacy he leaves behind.
His achievements along with this team will be looked back on in years to come and eulogized.
We were blessed to have him and what great days himself and these boys gave all Dubs supporters.
Some shoes to fill for whoever takes the helm.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2164 - 30/11/2019 16:09:18    2252288

Link

Great Man Manager, Great Football Manager, Great Leader, Great Person, Great Timing, the very best of luck to you Jim Gavin, you've left a legacy that is unique.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 219 - 30/11/2019 18:16:35    2252329

Link

7 Leinster Titles
5 NFL Division 1 Titles
6 All-Ireland Titles

1 Championship defeat.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12863 - 30/11/2019 18:55:20    2252336

Link

"So, here's a health to you Jim Gavin
your tactical genius won the day
and to all your Dublin squad
whoever graced the field of play
For you gave us 2015, 16, 17, 2018, 2019 too
five All Irelands in a row, as Sam Maguire floats on a sea of blue.......THANK YOU" !!!!!.

PatdeVerse (Dublin) - Posts: 107 - 30/11/2019 20:39:30    2252364

Link

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "What a legacy he leaves behind.
His achievements along with this team will be looked back on in years to come and eulogized.
We were blessed to have him and what great days himself and these boys gave all Dubs supporters.
Some shoes to fill for whoever takes the helm."
Well said.

He is immortal now, and I am delighted to have been part of this amazing journey.

Legendary stuff and unique achievements along the way.

And to top it all off by beating Kerry to win a 5 in a Row - bloody hell.

I haven't stopped smiling since that historic day.

And also to put an end to all that puke football with such athletic, free flowing attacking football - well it was a joy to behold.

Thank you so much Jim and enjoy all the spare time you will now have.

You have given us all memories of a lifetime.

Atha Cliath Abú.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 30/11/2019 21:38:30    2252383

Link

I think Jim's management from the sidelines in this years All Ireland Final was just brilliant.
Dublin played for more than half the game with 14 men and as ex player K Donkey tweeted:-
"Down a point in added time this year, down a man = keeper to full back, full back pushes out to pick up spare man = turnovers"

We had all the attack's in the last few minutes even with a man down. Clucko was out marking a Kerry forward - such brave tactics.

And Jim also learned the most from the first game and played a couple of master strokes in the replay.
Wonderful tactician and not afraid of ruthless decisions for the betterment of the team.

Gonna be some act to follow for sure.

Jim was Pure Genius.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 30/11/2019 22:39:16    2252404

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Well said.

He is immortal now, and I am delighted to have been part of this amazing journey.

Legendary stuff and unique achievements along the way.

And to top it all off by beating Kerry to win a 5 in a Row - bloody hell.

I haven't stopped smiling since that historic day.

And also to put an end to all that puke football with such athletic, free flowing attacking football - well it was a joy to behold.

Thank you so much Jim and enjoy all the spare time you will now have.

You have given us all memories of a lifetime.

Atha Cliath Abú."
Yep, the history making achievements of this team under JG are what marks them apart from all others over the 135 years of the games and is an exceptional achievement.
Disappointed he is gone but he has performed brilliantly in the role and just maybe could do a second stint in the future.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2164 - 01/12/2019 09:50:14    2252429

Link

Absolutely gutted lads, but so thankful and privileged to have lived through his era, we couldn't begrudge him a thing. Ive heard part of the decision is lifestyle based and he has gotten job opportunity that will require him to be out of the country a lot. I thnk part of it to was the new rules coming in, i know he wasnt a fan of them and i think they will make the game a holy show to. There just isnt anything left to achieve. Look through the teams we have beaten under his regin there just isnt anyone left to beat. We've made history, weve reached the summit of what is possible in the game, there just isnt anything left to achieve.

All that said i think he will be back in four or five years, hes a young man at 48 and i think Dublin is in his heart and such a big part of his life and has been since 2003 as a manager and coach, he will be missed but will also miss us.

So we look to our own, Dessie seems to be the anointed one, but Costello is a willy old fox, i wouldn't be surprised at Gilroy either, a left filed pick might be Tommy Conroy. Id be surprised if we are not all ready a fair bit down the road with an appointment and JIm has spent the last while brifeing the adjustment.

Think we will regress a bit and maybe go aback into the pack being competitive but not as dominant, but no one could begrudge us that after owning football for a decade and carrying it for 10 years with open expansive football, we've changed the game.

Wel be there as always.

Up The Dubs.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 01/12/2019 10:31:17    2252436

Link

A legend in every sense of the word. We had Heffo's Army and now we've had Jim Gavin's Mighty Dubs, the Invincibles. It's been a fantastic decade and huge thanks to Jim for giving us all memories that will be treasured for the rest of our days. Thanks Jim and enjoy the retirement.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4184 - 01/12/2019 14:48:47    2252474

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Absolutely gutted lads, but so thankful and privileged to have lived through his era, we couldn't begrudge him a thing. Ive heard part of the decision is lifestyle based and he has gotten job opportunity that will require him to be out of the country a lot. I thnk part of it to was the new rules coming in, i know he wasnt a fan of them and i think they will make the game a holy show to. There just isnt anything left to achieve. Look through the teams we have beaten under his regin there just isnt anyone left to beat. We've made history, weve reached the summit of what is possible in the game, there just isnt anything left to achieve.

All that said i think he will be back in four or five years, hes a young man at 48 and i think Dublin is in his heart and such a big part of his life and has been since 2003 as a manager and coach, he will be missed but will also miss us.

So we look to our own, Dessie seems to be the anointed one, but Costello is a willy old fox, i wouldn't be surprised at Gilroy either, a left filed pick might be Tommy Conroy. Id be surprised if we are not all ready a fair bit down the road with an appointment and JIm has spent the last while brifeing the adjustment.

Think we will regress a bit and maybe go aback into the pack being competitive but not as dominant, but no one could begrudge us that after owning football for a decade and carrying it for 10 years with open expansive football, we've changed the game.

Wel be there as always.

Up The Dubs."
We have definitely changed the game..

GAA was dying on its feet with that puke football. We knocked the sh1t out of it once and for all and made other counties rethink their way of playing.
Only for Jim that defensive crap would still be going strong. It was turning thousands of fans off our game. And rightly so. Boring boring boring.

We were a breath of fresh air and to do what we did, and achieve what we did, playing the way we did - made our 5 in a Row run all the more enjoyable.

Jim's tactics at the end of the All Ireland this year with a man down for most of the game, and losing by a point near the end of the game was so brave.
Clucko went to full back and we went for it. We should have won the first game in the end.
For the reply his tactical switches worked a treat and he outfoxed the Kerry mgt team.

His game management was second to none.

Will be greatly missed and I fear Clucko will now also call it a day. We could well be underdogs next year to win Sam v kerry as a result, but this group of players are very determined and will definitely not give up Sam without one hell of a battle - no matter who is in charge.

The systems are still in place so hopefully there won't be too much of a difference in our performances and tactics. Fingers crossed...!

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 01/12/2019 20:47:14    2252551

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "We have definitely changed the game..

GAA was dying on its feet with that puke football. We knocked the sh1t out of it once and for all and made other counties rethink their way of playing.
Only for Jim that defensive crap would still be going strong. It was turning thousands of fans off our game. And rightly so. Boring boring boring.

We were a breath of fresh air and to do what we did, and achieve what we did, playing the way we did - made our 5 in a Row run all the more enjoyable.

Jim's tactics at the end of the All Ireland this year with a man down for most of the game, and losing by a point near the end of the game was so brave.
Clucko went to full back and we went for it. We should have won the first game in the end.
For the reply his tactical switches worked a treat and he outfoxed the Kerry mgt team.

His game management was second to none.

Will be greatly missed and I fear Clucko will now also call it a day. We could well be underdogs next year to win Sam v kerry as a result, but this group of players are very determined and will definitely not give up Sam without one hell of a battle - no matter who is in charge.

The systems are still in place so hopefully there won't be too much of a difference in our performances and tactics. Fingers crossed...!"
Gavin made the team think for themselves

What happens on the pitch is player led too and as fans we're fortunate to have the style of player that can think on their feet and manage a game.

In some ways I think this could be Gavin's last master stroke.

A team that just won 5 may feel well what else is there to achieve? Now under New management you're going to have players hungry to break into the team and seeing an opportunity, pushing that bit harder in training and the established players will find it even more competitive thus carrying it all forward once again.

Gavin leaving just lit a fire under the team at a time when it just might be needed.

There's no doubt that Gavin's legacy will be clearly seen next year, he created leaders with game intelligence and the players will have a big bearing on making this transition easier for their new manager. The style of play will not change as the tactics work. The players know this, keep to the process and success follows.

It's just about finding the right continuity

I'm hoping it's a combo of Darcy and Jayo. No men understand the current ethos any better.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 02/12/2019 07:56:31    2252599

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Gavin made the team think for themselves

What happens on the pitch is player led too and as fans we're fortunate to have the style of player that can think on their feet and manage a game.

In some ways I think this could be Gavin's last master stroke.

A team that just won 5 may feel well what else is there to achieve? Now under New management you're going to have players hungry to break into the team and seeing an opportunity, pushing that bit harder in training and the established players will find it even more competitive thus carrying it all forward once again.

Gavin leaving just lit a fire under the team at a time when it just might be needed.

There's no doubt that Gavin's legacy will be clearly seen next year, he created leaders with game intelligence and the players will have a big bearing on making this transition easier for their new manager. The style of play will not change as the tactics work. The players know this, keep to the process and success follows.

It's just about finding the right continuity

I'm hoping it's a combo of Darcy and Jayo. No men understand the current ethos any better."
He was quiet simply a CLASS ACT on the line on camera hugely educated man never a wrong word no boasting or anything like that superb.

Big loss to all GAA people

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 482 - 02/12/2019 10:12:28    2252618

Link

Genuinely devastated by the news. He was simply masterful in the role.

Slán Jim and thanks for everything. You owe the jersey and the county nothing.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 530 - 02/12/2019 11:05:38    2252634

Link

Mick Deegan (selector) has taken up a club post out in Meath and with us pulling out of the OBC doesnt look good for Clarky and maybe Jim's other backroom sticking around either for continuity. Early days mind.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 02/12/2019 13:35:54    2252686

Link

I have my own choice in a combo of Darcy/Jayo

For me that's the best continuity but perhaps a fresh voice but with the same mantra could be a good tonic for a team that's already achieved more than anyone else

I was thinking about Dessie

He already has a lot of inside knowledge about the team ethos and players. Undertands what is currently in place very well.

He loves Dublin GAA and as a player was greatly respected and will receive warm support.

But what really stands out for me is his win with the U21's in 2017

Dublin were not fancied that year and he came up with a system of play, a hard tackling team that defended like Trojans and he had a couple of class stand out forwards that could finish the hard work put in further back.

That was a very impressive AI win, I was at a few of those games and Dessie did a great job with that team. A great win. A stand back and take note victory.

Dessie would be a fine manager and it's another nod to the class 90's team. A team that understands the pain of losing and the value of winning. Gavin didn't come from 6-7 AI wins.. neither did Darcy, Jayo, Deegan, Clarke, Gilroy

They brought humility based on their own past, A hard graft and standard. They learned it the hard way from under achieving themselves as players.

There is certainly continuity there too with him enjoying time with many of the current panel and he would have worked closely with Jim. A man manager, he'd be a very respected man amongst the group and I think he could handle the media side of things very well. He also has his GPA background and his administration skill sets and understanding of the modern game and player is a very valuable commodity.

He knows how valuable the current leaders on the team are. Gavin has empowered and educated them into being a group that are player led with a high game intelligence across the board.

It's a remarkable set of players. Constructed by a remarkable manager. So much quality where it really counts.. between the ears and in the heart.

The players will want to impress and play under him and those younger lads will be hungry to push on and get the nod but they'll also be the first to support him and help make the transition. They will burst a gut for him to help him achieve.

The players themselves will help manage this next stage

No finer group. Gavins legacy will stand out a mile.. Dublin football has changed forever.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 02/12/2019 21:21:44    2252805

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "I have my own choice in a combo of Darcy/Jayo

For me that's the best continuity but perhaps a fresh voice but with the same mantra could be a good tonic for a team that's already achieved more than anyone else

I was thinking about Dessie

He already has a lot of inside knowledge about the team ethos and players. Undertands what is currently in place very well.

He loves Dublin GAA and as a player was greatly respected and will receive warm support.

But what really stands out for me is his win with the U21's in 2017

Dublin were not fancied that year and he came up with a system of play, a hard tackling team that defended like Trojans and he had a couple of class stand out forwards that could finish the hard work put in further back.

That was a very impressive AI win, I was at a few of those games and Dessie did a great job with that team. A great win. A stand back and take note victory.

Dessie would be a fine manager and it's another nod to the class 90's team. A team that understands the pain of losing and the value of winning. Gavin didn't come from 6-7 AI wins.. neither did Darcy, Jayo, Deegan, Clarke, Gilroy

They brought humility based on their own past, A hard graft and standard. They learned it the hard way from under achieving themselves as players.

There is certainly continuity there too with him enjoying time with many of the current panel and he would have worked closely with Jim. A man manager, he'd be a very respected man amongst the group and I think he could handle the media side of things very well. He also has his GPA background and his administration skill sets and understanding of the modern game and player is a very valuable commodity.

He knows how valuable the current leaders on the team are. Gavin has empowered and educated them into being a group that are player led with a high game intelligence across the board.

It's a remarkable set of players. Constructed by a remarkable manager. So much quality where it really counts.. between the ears and in the heart.

The players will want to impress and play under him and those younger lads will be hungry to push on and get the nod but they'll also be the first to support him and help make the transition. They will burst a gut for him to help him achieve.

The players themselves will help manage this next stage

No finer group. Gavins legacy will stand out a mile.. Dublin football has changed forever."
Good post Jim, i have my reservations about Dessie, largely based on he plays quite open and i thin his teams have been vulnerable at the back, he can be a bit rigid in his philosophy, but you post jogged my memory and the 17 U21 side did have terrific defensive unit, hunted in packs.

Ill back whoever, im warming to the idea of Dessie as i look back on his underage record, we're good but its those tight games like the drawn game this year and the ones VS Mayo, were the decisions in the heat of it are make or break and that is the challenge for the manager.

Id be open minded about Pat G, as well, but i think his work situation would make him a long term appointment quite difficult seems the type of job where he might be able to commit for a year and then review it.

id go for those two, above any of the back room team there at the moment to be honest, i wouldn't go for Jayo i love him, but just think he doesn't have that selfless way about him, that might be harsh but thats my read of it. Darcy and Clarkey id be open minded about but would prefer if they stayed as part of a backroom if im being honest, i just don think they have been road tested enough for the leap to the big chair.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 03/12/2019 10:29:45    2252882

Link