Dublin Forum

Dublin Club Championship '19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To avonali:  "Was watching the club hurling final . What happened near the end, Was that a Cuala Banisteoir who held onto the sliotair.
Did one of the Brigids lads hit him a clip ?? He seemed to be complaining to the ref ."
Didn't see it.

But Alan Nolan was lucky to stay on the pitch...he should have got a straight red. Deliberately took Con out of the game and if he had of connected with Cons knee or lower it would have snapped his leg. A horrible reckless tackle

ConnollyDub (Dublin) - Posts: 1834 - 21/10/2019 14:34:44    2244788

Link

Replying To ConnollyDub:  "Didn't see it.

But Alan Nolan was lucky to stay on the pitch...he should have got a straight red. Deliberately took Con out of the game and if he had of connected with Cons knee or lower it would have snapped his leg. A horrible reckless tackle"
Nolan is very loose when coming off his line.

There is a fine line between bravery and dangerous play and imo Nolan finds himself on the wrong side of that line from time to time.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12863 - 22/10/2019 08:35:06    2244902

Link

I see Ballyboden are bookies favorites to beat St Judes. I thought after their respective quarter final wins Judes would start as favorites?

IamADragon (Cavan) - Posts: 268 - 22/10/2019 13:12:07    2244936

Link

Username, you heading down to Parnell Park tonight?? I hoper's now going to be a turkey shoot. Your lads are unbackable.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 26/10/2019 10:30:01    2245893

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Username, you heading down to Parnell Park tonight?? I hoper's now going to be a turkey shoot. Your lads are unbackable."
sorry, I hope it's Not going to be a turkey shoot. Crokes at 1/7!!!

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 26/10/2019 10:42:18    2245901

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Username, you heading down to Parnell Park tonight?? I hoper's now going to be a turkey shoot. Your lads are unbackable."
Had planned to, but unforeseen last min circumstances meant I couldn't get across today, what can you do.....had it all set up, booked a table with the better half in town tomorrow and all to cover the spread to get over to the Neller tonight! Double whammy FFS!

Back home now though and will watch it on Telly
with a few cans and bag of monkey nuts! ;)

Did you get over yourself pal!

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 17:12:59    2245953

Link

Ciran Archer scoring a ridiculous peno today in a college fresher game between Maynooth and DCU.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/dublins-ciaran-archer-taking-biscuit-cheekiest-paneka-penalty-207503

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 17:19:45    2245954

Link

Some first half performance from Jude's, masterclass in defense, matched by a snare press all over the pitch, while a high press on the kick out and the Boden Kepler melting down. Jude's winning everything from Kickout and are more then a match physically and fielding, really look hungry.

Great price of vision from R Basquel to set up a goal for Boden, only for it Jude's out of site.

Still think their is a game to play here, Boden have the quality to cause damage if they can get lads on the ball, while it will be a super human effort from Jude's to keep this up for 60 mins.

Tactical masterclass for Jude's first half, be interesting to see how a Boden counter in the second half!

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 18:05:57    2245963

Link

Great game, Boden dig it out. Basquels save the day again, Boden sorted their kick out, out. Flipped Ryan and Collie from Full to half forward and got them on the ball. Collie in particular shot the lights out, penetrated and was direct with the game changing goal as scrappy as it was, his quality was telling. Be good to get back him at county next year. I always liked Ryan as well and always left wondering why he never got the nod at county, reminds me of a raw Alan, but defo coachable potential there as a playmaker. Great character and desire by Boden, they won't go into the final under cooked.

Jude's left it all out there first half, hard to sustain that for 60 mins, just don't have the scoring threat or ability to break dangerously if you shore up Macker. Left it all on the pitch though fair play.

Hopefully we get a competitive game now for the second one.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 18:57:54    2245979

Link

Wow, Davies's after a nervy start doing themselves proud vs Crokes. Getting the ball progressively forward and working their scores patiently and well. At times using Crokes system against them. Crokes looking a bit complacent to me, have lost to massive players for them in Dias and Mannion. You suspect a Crokes might have another gear in them and will use all their experience, but Davies's very much in this at half time, full marks for desire and composure.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 19:45:03    2245989

Link

See RT Lusk and WHCC were promoted, Plunketts survive with Syls joining Brigids SC2 next year.

Some achievement by Lusk, Cormac Howley knocking over four. You have to have sympathy for Cuala who were missing King Con after that horror tackle for the hurlers last weekend for the game against Lusk, but fair play to RT Lusk all the same.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 19:51:04    2245990

Link

Thomas Davis lads. Da fuq?

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 3940 - 26/10/2019 20:30:11    2246001

Link

Wow, what a result and performance by Davies's. Crokes were unbackable for this and all we were hoping for was a competitive game. Shows what we know.

Massive performance and full value for the win, went for the treat every time. You can tell this is a close group and you wonder what the impact of being put into the inaugural SC2 despite protests and winning it last year had in terms of galvanizing them and getting momentum. Terfffic stuff.

Huge questions for some of these Crokes lads now as a group, some have big pedigrees at County presently, in the past and underage and it's never really caught fire, they looked devoid of any legs or cutting edge when Dias and Mannion went off.

But fair play to Davies's one of the biggest upsets we've seen in the Championship in a long time.

Really is a cracking championship.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 20:38:31    2246006

Link

So a Boben Vs Davies's final.

Surely Boden will be roaring hot favorites, but then so were Crokes.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 26/10/2019 20:46:12    2246008

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Wow, what a result and performance by Davies's. Crokes were unbackable for this and all we were hoping for was a competitive game. Shows what we know.

Massive performance and full value for the win, went for the treat every time. You can tell this is a close group and you wonder what the impact of being put into the inaugural SC2 despite protests and winning it last year had in terms of galvanizing them and getting momentum. Terfffic stuff.

Huge questions for some of these Crokes lads now as a group, some have big pedigrees at County presently, in the past and underage and it's never really caught fire, they looked devoid of any legs or cutting edge when Dias and Mannion went off.

But fair play to Davies's one of the biggest upsets we've seen in the Championship in a long time.

Really is a cracking championship."
Jesus, why the hell didn't I take Davis at 7/1???? Kicking myself.
Once Mannion went off you could feel the fizz going out of Crokes. I have a friend on the Crokes team but I have to say you have to acknowledge that display from T.Davis'. I really thought Deegan 's point taking was excellent-what a player. He strikes me as a very talented footballer. Brian Kirby at the back was good and he was very solid except for Pat Burke's goal. Pat took his chance very well. Keogh was excellent also for Thomas Davis.
The thing with Davis is the speed out their counter attack. They have some very pacy half backs who drive forward into space very effectively. Theybstrike me as a very well coached team.
Rory O'Carroll is a shadow of his former self. Timing and anticipation seem to have disimproved and he made quite a number of errors. His opposite number had a much better game IMO.
I'd really love to See TD going all the way now. It's been a cracking championship and wouldn't it be great to see Davis do it.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 26/10/2019 23:14:20    2246031

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "So a Boben Vs Davies's final.

Surely Boden will be roaring hot favorites, but then so were Crokes."
Delighted for TD - remarkable result.
Been a very long time for them getting to a final as their after match celebrations showed.
Glad Crokes didn't go any further as both Mannion and Cian need a break to clear the injuries and recharge the batteries.

Judes ran out of steam and once Macker was closed down they had very little other scoring threats.

Basque is a gem of a player lads. Some talent. The break this Summer did him the world of good.
Surely would have impressed Jim Gavin who was there for both games today in PP.

Can't see a fairytale result in the Final but then again Na Fanna should have beaten Boden.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 26/10/2019 23:55:40    2246039

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Jesus, why the hell didn't I take Davis at 7/1???? Kicking myself.
Once Mannion went off you could feel the fizz going out of Crokes. I have a friend on the Crokes team but I have to say you have to acknowledge that display from T.Davis'. I really thought Deegan 's point taking was excellent-what a player. He strikes me as a very talented footballer. Brian Kirby at the back was good and he was very solid except for Pat Burke's goal. Pat took his chance very well. Keogh was excellent also for Thomas Davis.
The thing with Davis is the speed out their counter attack. They have some very pacy half backs who drive forward into space very effectively. Theybstrike me as a very well coached team.
Rory O'Carroll is a shadow of his former self. Timing and anticipation seem to have disimproved and he made quite a number of errors. His opposite number had a much better game IMO.
I'd really love to See TD going all the way now. It's been a cracking championship and wouldn't it be great to see Davis do it."
Oops, just saw goal there and it was Kirby who flicked it into his own net. Nonetheless he had a fine game. Keogh was excellent. WAs just thinking this game had echoes of the 2014 semi-final. Similar odds. The way TDavis hit you fast on the counter was very similar to Donegal in 214. Davis point taking was excellent. Some of Croke forwards were a bit wasteful.
Some achievement for Paul Kelly and his team.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 27/10/2019 11:08:27    2246066

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Jesus, why the hell didn't I take Davis at 7/1???? Kicking myself.
I'd really love to See TD going all the way now. It's been a cracking championship and wouldn't it be great to see Davis do it."
We're dropping money all over the shop lads! ;) A mate got 4-1 on Boden In PP at half time to beat Judes, turnd a score in to a ton!! Fair play to him. I actually might put a sneaky score on Davis, for the final, why not, i think Boden will be roaring hot favourates, but then so were Crokes and Davis will be watching the first half VS Judes as a way of causing Boden problems.

A trully remarkable journey though, if you think back to how they were landed in SC2 a couple of years ago, really seems to have galvanized them and built momentum. Remarkable they are in a county final with no county players, especially when you consider its a county who have currently produced the greatest side to play the game. Deegan was class and Kirkby brothers as well, they are on the road a while with Davis so delighted for them.

Davis is a really good club and not that others dont as well, but they have really top dedicated volunteers out there who do some incredible work at the club, it was really touching all the interviews after the game acknowledged that and a wonderful night for the club. Its a great example of the Dublin model between the GDO's and Volunteers, as Knocklyon, Kiltipper, Tallaght is big soccer country. Hopefully this success turns a few more heads out that direction.

Yeah Rory just doesnt look the player he was, hes just off everything really, those three seasons have really left him of the pace and i wonder will or could he er get back to what he was. Who knows a full inter county traiing programme and tough winter may bring him back. From a county point of view ive always liked Andy McGowen and i think he did alright last night considering, also you can see flashes of a player in CIan O Connor, hes still very young but i can see why Jim seems to want to develop him.

How good was it to see Jim out on the pitch, kicking the ball with is little fella at half time, its a simple game if you allow yourself to enjoy it. Youd forget Jim is a as young as he actually is.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 27/10/2019 11:24:16    2246073

Link

Fair play to TD - much the better team and not flattered by the final score. KC were abject - sloppy passes, awful free kicks, dropped balls, goalie all over the shop etc. Got exactly what they deserved from the game.

On a different note, who was the commentator for the game? Did he win the gig from entering a competition on the back of a cornflakes box? Things he should note for the future:
i) it's pronounced Thomas Davis - not 'Davies' as he regularly referred to them
ii) Kilmacud are not 'Ballyboden' as he referred to them as occasionally
III) Kilmacud did not win the club AI final in 2016 as he referenced several times
He made Dessie 'tell the audience exactly what they can already see themselves' Dolan seem like a pro by comparison.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 530 - 27/10/2019 12:47:32    2246093

Link

Great performance from Thomas Davis, could put a few new faces in the shop window for next year. Boden look unstoppable tho!

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 910 - 28/10/2019 08:39:26    2246224

Link