Dublin Forum

Dublin Club Championship '19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "Id fancy there could be money made of Na Fianna and Boden. Though less then 2/1 is not very enticing.

Maybe Judes as wel but need everything to go right for them like last year, tight at the back and hope Macker can overwhelm their back line and run them, Vinnies look like they were filling a few gaps this year, had Dermo playing at 6 earlier in the championship.

Think Crokes will have to much for Clontarf."
Jesus, no offence to Vincent's fans but they were absolutely awful today. I pt in the second half!! Judes could go far this year.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 12/10/2019 18:57:02    2243020

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Jesus, no offence to Vincent's fans but they were absolutely awful today. I pt in the second half!! Judes could go far this year."
Vinnies look like Father Time has caught up with them as a club side, think they will be in transition for a bit, but will come back strong as always, to be fair they have the club team to beat over the last decade in Dublin.

Fair play to Jude's that's the second year on the trot, they know how to break the Vins code, tight at the back and Macker playing as if he's was playing Kerry.

Na Fianna giving me a fine run for my money up to half time, the coming team in my opinion, will McHugh be one of those players who is class at club but never quite established himself at County. Some good young talent on show, young Doran at Boden should get the OB cup treatment and has a shot couple of others from Na Fianna. We've only seen a glimpse of the player Murch is going to be for Dublin, he's going to get better and better, maybe as dangerous as Jack if he continues to develop and fulfil his potential.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 12/10/2019 19:47:40    2243023

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Vinnies look like Father Time has caught up with them as a club side, think they will be in transition for a bit, but will come back strong as always, to be fair they have the club team to beat over the last decade in Dublin.

Fair play to Jude's that's the second year on the trot, they know how to break the Vins code, tight at the back and Macker playing as if he's was playing Kerry.

Na Fianna giving me a fine run for my money up to half time, the coming team in my opinion, will McHugh be one of those players who is class at club but never quite established himself at County. Some good young talent on show, young Doran at Boden should get the OB cup treatment and has a shot couple of others from Na Fianna. We've only seen a glimpse of the player Murch is going to be for Dublin, he's going to get better and better, maybe as dangerous as Jack if he continues to develop and fulfil his potential."
Sorry meant to say McGary at Boden and Doran at NF.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 12/10/2019 19:56:58    2243027

Link

Jeepers some game, Boden all physicality and high press, NF with pace and playing openly. NF keeper let them down a couple of times but Boden using all their experience with the press.

Ref making a few bad calls, Basquel point looked over to me and just dropped the ball sending off McHugh for a second yellow when he was being grappled to the ground cynically and held to stop him supporting the play, poor call should have been a free in. NF robbed there.

NF up against it now a man down heading into extra time, Boden have huge experience and a man up, great game.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 12/10/2019 20:30:12    2243035

Link

NF will feel very hard done by tonight a combination of the ref, keeper and bad luck lost them that game, still the coming team in my opinion, very unlucky tonight. Play the game the right way, typical Dessie team.

Fair play to Boden tough as teak and great press and super quality and spark up front with the Basquels. Always puzzles me why Ryan wasn't given more of a nod a senior county, he has a touch of the Alan's about him. Boden will be hard bet.

We really have a super club championship, I've seen poorer quality county games then that game tonight. Brilliant stuff by both teams!

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 12/10/2019 21:16:26    2243053

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "NF will feel very hard done by tonight a combination of the ref, keeper and bad luck lost them that game, still the coming team in my opinion, very unlucky tonight. Play the game the right way, typical Dessie team.

Fair play to Boden tough as teak and great press and super quality and spark up front with the Basquels. Always puzzles me why Ryan wasn't given more of a nod a senior county, he has a touch of the Alan's about him. Boden will be hard bet.

We really have a super club championship, I've seen poorer quality county games then that game tonight. Brilliant stuff by both teams!"
I felt sorry for Conor McHugh. What was he supposed to do in that situation??
I know Tom Lahiff for Judes got some exposure in the O'Byrne Cup last year but he I reckon JG needs to consider him again. Really powerful runner- some engine on him. Judes really manage their resources well. They are a small enough club and many of their players, like Ronan Joyce, are primarily hurlers.
Bodens really are some outfit. Wealth of Club Championship experience and some really serious forwards.The Basquels were excellent.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 12/10/2019 21:38:22    2243061

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "NF will feel very hard done by tonight a combination of the ref, keeper and bad luck lost them that game, still the coming team in my opinion, very unlucky tonight. Play the game the right way, typical Dessie team.

We really have a super club championship, I've seen poorer quality county games then that game tonight. Brilliant stuff by both teams!"
NF will be some team.
Goalie will learn from that.
McHugh very unlucky.

Looking forward to seeing Basquel back in Blue next season. Very talented player

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 12/10/2019 23:26:00    2243075

Link

Replying To avonali:  "I felt sorry for Conor McHugh. What was he supposed to do in that situation??
I know Tom Lahiff for Judes got some exposure in the O'Byrne Cup last year but he I reckon JG needs to consider him again. Really powerful runner- some engine on him. Judes really manage their resources well. They are a small enough club and many of their players, like Ronan Joyce, are primarily hurlers.
Bodens really are some outfit. Wealth of Club Championship experience and some really serious forwards.The Basquels were excellent."
McHugh and Na Fianna can feel really hard done by, as you say pal what can he do. To be fair to the ref and linesman McHugh hit him a few haymakers out of frustration and i suppose thats a yellow, but hes not in that situation without being fouled, so its massively unfair. It would have been the equivalent of Boden loosing C Basquel who went on to be the match winner for them, really harsh. Though neither side deserved to lose. Thought MDM was very poor, though he seems to lay a more disciplined role for Boden.

I like Lahiff as well, hes the same vintage as Con and Murch as if my memory is right he was on the same U21 winning team, its a tough gig breaking the Dublin forward lines though and he offers a very similar skill set to Macker, who looks like hes going nowhere. Judes are a great little club, when you consider they are on the doorstep of Crokes and Boden, they have some great facilities that are a credit to them.

I do like Lahiff as well and hopefully hes involved in the OB cup team, i can see McGarry and Doran being given a nod too, Aron Byrne is a another with the underage pedigree who has never seems to have gotten the nod at senior county.

We really do have some depth of talent, some great forward play last night and the likes of Collie Basquel and McHugh cant crack the Dublin starting forward lines. Another player i really like the look of and was disappointed he wasnt tried over others in the back line in the league last year is Sean McMahon at Raheny.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 13/10/2019 08:28:19    2243096

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "McHugh and Na Fianna can feel really hard done by, as you say pal what can he do. To be fair to the ref and linesman McHugh hit him a few haymakers out of frustration and i suppose thats a yellow, but hes not in that situation without being fouled, so its massively unfair. It would have been the equivalent of Boden loosing C Basquel who went on to be the match winner for them, really harsh. Though neither side deserved to lose. Thought MDM was very poor, though he seems to lay a more disciplined role for Boden.

I like Lahiff as well, hes the same vintage as Con and Murch as if my memory is right he was on the same U21 winning team, its a tough gig breaking the Dublin forward lines though and he offers a very similar skill set to Macker, who looks like hes going nowhere. Judes are a great little club, when you consider they are on the doorstep of Crokes and Boden, they have some great facilities that are a credit to them.

I do like Lahiff as well and hopefully hes involved in the OB cup team, i can see McGarry and Doran being given a nod too, Aron Byrne is a another with the underage pedigree who has never seems to have gotten the nod at senior county.

We really do have some depth of talent, some great forward play last night and the likes of Collie Basquel and McHugh cant crack the Dublin starting forward lines. Another player i really like the look of and was disappointed he wasnt tried over others in the back line in the league last year is Sean McMahon at Raheny."
Heading down to The "Nell later. Any word of Jack Mc's injury? I'd take Clontarf at 11/2 if he were playing. Jesus, surely it's not going to be a total Southside clean sweep .

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 13/10/2019 11:36:03    2243111

Link

Replying To avonali:  "Heading down to The "Nell later. Any word of Jack Mc's injury? I'd take Clontarf at 11/2 if he were playing. Jesus, surely it's not going to be a total Southside clean sweep ."
Havent heard on his injury but if hes touch and go i think he will play given the context. Wont be there myself, the better half has drawn the line at with the rugby, soccer and club football yesterday. Be good to hear what you make of the games though and anyone who catches the eye!!

Think Castleknock, will be confident of beating Davies's with their experience, though i think Davies's have some good prospects.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 13/10/2019 13:06:32    2243134

Link

Both games today live are on The Dubs Tv Youtube channel if anyone wants to watch them. Just a head up.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 13/10/2019 13:56:11    2243150

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Havent heard on his injury but if hes touch and go i think he will play given the context. Wont be there myself, the better half has drawn the line at with the rugby, soccer and club football yesterday. Be good to hear what you make of the games though and anyone who catches the eye!!

Think Castleknock, will be confident of beating Davies's with their experience, though i think Davies's have some good prospects."
The first game today was a bit disappointing. The shooting in the first half from both sides was pretty poor, Kilmacud were getting a grip towards the end of the first half. Jack Mc had been outstanding for Clontarf, Defended brilliantly and was effective going forward, Once he got the red and Mannion came on the game fizzled out as a competition.Clontarf left two forwards up near Kilmacud Goal and they hardly got a sniff of the ball. They only scored a single point in the second half.

The second game was a great match. The quality of point scoring was very high. TDavis scored 2 goals within a minute and Clontarf got one back very soon after.
Davis have some really good players Ryan Deegan in midfield was excellent, won lots of possession and took his goal beautifully. The David no. 13, whose name I forget was trendies driving forward.

As a northsider it's bloody depressing to see a Southside clean sweep of the QF stage.

I reckon there'll be a clear out in Vincents and they will dip for a while. Davis and Judes must be delighted with how their teams played.
So, to recap: 2 of the qf were very disappointing matches, while 2 were excellent competitions.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 13/10/2019 19:53:58    2243214

Link

Great result for Thomas Davies against Castleknock! Delighted for them. It's good to see a new team into the semi-finals.

Delighted for Judes as well against Vinnies. Always nice to see Vinnies beaten ;)

Boden absolutely robbed Na Fianna. I don't like giving out about the officials but what happened on Saturday was something that the GAA in general really needs to sort out in some way. The player instigating the incident needs to be given a much sterner caution than the fella just trying to get on with the game. O'Mahoney should be red carded for that incident imo and McHugh doesn't deserve anything. I mean what is he supposed to do?

Crokes playing in 2nd gear easily despatched Clontarf. Clontarf are a poor enough side to be making a quarter final imo.

The weekend doesn't change my mind, Crokes still the best side overall by far.

Don't see much between Boden and Judes to be honest.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12863 - 14/10/2019 10:10:50    2243306

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Great result for Thomas Davies against Castleknock! Delighted for them. It's good to see a new team into the semi-finals.

Delighted for Judes as well against Vinnies. Always nice to see Vinnies beaten ;)

Boden absolutely robbed Na Fianna. I don't like giving out about the officials but what happened on Saturday was something that the GAA in general really needs to sort out in some way. The player instigating the incident needs to be given a much sterner caution than the fella just trying to get on with the game. O'Mahoney should be red carded for that incident imo and McHugh doesn't deserve anything. I mean what is he supposed to do?

Crokes playing in 2nd gear easily despatched Clontarf. Clontarf are a poor enough side to be making a quarter final imo.

The weekend doesn't change my mind, Crokes still the best side overall by far.

Don't see much between Boden and Judes to be honest."
Fully agree - GAA HQ need to do something about this kind of stuff. Instigator gets same punishments as the guy he has fouled... wtf is going on there...??
Happens in Inter County as well though.

NF goalie was all over the place also though... costs his team a couple of scores.
Excellent young team though

Boden v Judes in semi should be a good game

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 14/10/2019 10:31:37    2243322

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "McHugh and Na Fianna can feel really hard done by, as you say pal what can he do. To be fair to the ref and linesman McHugh hit him a few haymakers out of frustration and i suppose thats a yellow, but hes not in that situation without being fouled, so its massively unfair. It would have been the equivalent of Boden loosing C Basquel who went on to be the match winner for them, really harsh. Though neither side deserved to lose. Thought MDM was very poor, though he seems to lay a more disciplined role for Boden.

We really do have some depth of talent, some great forward play last night and the likes of Collie Basquel and McHugh cant crack the Dublin starting forward lines. Another player i really like the look of and was disappointed he wasnt tried over others in the back line in the league last year is Sean McMahon at Raheny."
Judes are a great little club, when you consider they are on the doorstep of Crokes and Boden, they have some great facilities that are a credit to them.

I'll give you Ballyboden but Crokes are situated about 10kms away from Judes. There's a lot of clubs much nearer.

Re Judes' venue, I think it was my favourite away ground when I was playing. Tymon Park is a lovely backdrop for a game. I still to this day can't figure out how Judes and Faugh could coexist so close together. An under 10 could puck a ball between the two club houses.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 530 - 14/10/2019 10:53:16    2243335

Link

Replying To avonali:  "The first game today was a bit disappointing. The shooting in the first half from both sides was pretty poor, Kilmacud were getting a grip towards the end of the first half. Jack Mc had been outstanding for Clontarf, Defended brilliantly and was effective going forward, Once he got the red and Mannion came on the game fizzled out as a competition.Clontarf left two forwards up near Kilmacud Goal and they hardly got a sniff of the ball. They only scored a single point in the second half.

The second game was a great match. The quality of point scoring was very high. TDavis scored 2 goals within a minute and Clontarf got one back very soon after.
Davis have some really good players Ryan Deegan in midfield was excellent, won lots of possession and took his goal beautifully. The David no. 13, whose name I forget was trendies driving forward.

As a northsider it's bloody depressing to see a Southside clean sweep of the QF stage.

I reckon there'll be a clear out in Vincents and they will dip for a while. Davis and Judes must be delighted with how their teams played.
So, to recap: 2 of the qf were very disappointing matches, while 2 were excellent competitions."
Fair play Pal and thanks for posting hope you enjoyed the day.

I believe Jacks red was a bit controversial as well and ended and Clontarf fight. Glad to see Rory playing a bit of ball, im hoping a full year of prep may bring him on for the Championship standard next year, a few hopefuls for the back line out Crokes way, O Connor and that, i see he scored.

Great stuff by Davies's real nostalgia from the 90's i think thats the last time they have gotten this far in the championship, some real stalwarts on that team in Kirbys, one or two must be a ripe age. Looks like their is some good work going on out there they have a good few representatives in the under age county teams too.

Crokes looking strong favorites but i wouldn't discount Boden either, they were like a python the other night squeezing the life out of Na Fianna, and have all the experience in the world. Judes will be doing well to make the final and Davies will see getting this far as progress. A Derby final between Boden and Crokes final would see skin and hair flying.

Its crazy there are north-side teams beyond the quarter, cant remember the last time that happened, with Cuala looking odds on in the hurling, thew reach of Gaelic games is really becoming county wide. in many ways its great to see.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 14/10/2019 11:06:25    2243343

Link

Replying To Kurt_Angle:  "Judes are a great little club, when you consider they are on the doorstep of Crokes and Boden, they have some great facilities that are a credit to them.

I'll give you Ballyboden but Crokes are situated about 10kms away from Judes. There's a lot of clubs much nearer.

Re Judes' venue, I think it was my favourite away ground when I was playing. Tymon Park is a lovely backdrop for a game. I still to this day can't figure out how Judes and Faugh could coexist so close together. An under 10 could puck a ball between the two club houses."
To be fair, im from around that neck of the woods, so id probably think of it is fairly close based on rivalary without thinking of distance.

From Templouge to Stillorgan, probably is about 10k, but i suppose for clubs of that stature on the southside you are looking at those 3 with Crokes, Boden and Judes and now Davies competing at that level at Senior A.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3236 - 14/10/2019 11:17:24    2243351

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Fully agree - GAA HQ need to do something about this kind of stuff. Instigator gets same punishments as the guy he has fouled... wtf is going on there...??
Happens in Inter County as well though.

NF goalie was all over the place also though... costs his team a couple of scores.
Excellent young team though

Boden v Judes in semi should be a good game"
Yeah, it's one of the biggest problems in Gaelic Football and its rarely spoken about.

I appreciate that it's very difficult for the ref at the time but surely his linesman and umpires can do better.

At Senior Inter County it's still hard on the day but with all the cameras at games surely retrospective action needs to happen. Automatic 3 game Championship ban for anyone pulling someone down and keeping them down off the ball. Heavily punish the instigator a few times and it will disappear from the game.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12863 - 14/10/2019 19:35:46    2243522

Link

Na Fianna getting closer the whole time. I can see an AI push in the next 2-3 campaigns

McHugh going off had a big impact on them but massive credit has to go Basquel. 3-4 is a savage return and he's lethal on top form. I've no doubt he can have a big Dublin career ahead of him.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 17/10/2019 16:39:51    2244102

Link

Was watching the club hurling final . What happened near the end, Was that a Cuala Banisteoir who held onto the sliotair.
Did one of the Brigids lads hit him a clip ?? He seemed to be complaining to the ref .

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1258 - 21/10/2019 12:50:36    2244757

Link