Down Forum

Where Is Down Footballers Going Wrong

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Newmitch:  "The Fin will be kicking themselves after this loss to Bright. Well on top, up by three points, dominating, then had a player red carded. Bright got back in and found the net. Then they had a player sent off, the game was nip and tuck to near the end Aughlisnafin fighting back well to level, they had three good chances of points to go clear with the finish line in sight but spurned them all. Bright tagged on the last few scores to be crowned Down Junior Football Champions, and it was well deserved, though not at their best, their never say die spirit saw them home. For Aughlisnafin it was a case of what might have been. Still they have had a great year, Division Four Champions, with more to come, the little club with the inspirational backstory."
How will Bright get on in Ulster?

Apart from CPN/Warrenpoint a few years back has a Down club given a decent account of themselves in junior or intermediate?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 07/10/2019 13:54:10    2241829

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "How will Bright get on in Ulster?

Apart from CPN/Warrenpoint a few years back has a Down club given a decent account of themselves in junior or intermediate?"
Loughinisland won Ulster intermediate in 2015 I think it was, but generally our junior teams fall at the first hurdle. Would like to see Warrenpoint win the SFC just out of curiosity on how they would do in Ulster as a relative unknown to the other sides.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 63 - 07/10/2019 20:28:18    2241921

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "The Fin will be kicking themselves after this loss to Bright. Well on top, up by three points, dominating, then had a player red carded. Bright got back in and found the net. Then they had a player sent off, the game was nip and tuck to near the end Aughlisnafin fighting back well to level, they had three good chances of points to go clear with the finish line in sight but spurned them all. Bright tagged on the last few scores to be crowned Down Junior Football Champions, and it was well deserved, though not at their best, their never say die spirit saw them home. For Aughlisnafin it was a case of what might have been. Still they have had a great year, Division Four Champions, with more to come, the little club with the inspirational backstory."
Finn will feel like they missed an opportunity but their half time lead was more down to a wasteful Bright forward line rather than their own superiority. Bright didn't seem to use the extra man while they had him, which seems to be fairly common in football for some reason. Flanagan taking the Finn frees was exceptional, I think he scored 9 which kept them motoring until Bright's better composure, bench and fitness saw them score 4 points in the last 10 minutes to clinch the win. Very enjoyable game and the two sides had some good players on show.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 63 - 07/10/2019 20:34:37    2241922

Link

Just some impressions on Kilcoo v Warrenpoint. First, it was a moving reception given to the Down 1994 All Ireland winning team. They were led onto the field by the late Eamonn Burn's two sons, just a day after their father was laid to rest. They received a standing ovation from all sections of a very large attendance. The minutes silence was beautifully observed.
Conditions were good, hardly a breeze, but the ground was slippery. It was cagey stuff early on, Warrenpoint didn't seem overawed by their first final in donkeys years. The first half was low scoring, with some nice individual scores. The Point missed a good goal chance early on, and this would come back to haunt them. The tempo picked up in the second half, at one point it looked as if the Point were going to go clear but Kilcoo never go down without a fight and a goal that came from a deflection saw Kilcoo home.
The Point brought on a forward who almost changed the game, but the change was made too late. They also missed another goal chance, and this is where a lack of experience cost them. You have to take goal chances at this level of the game. Still there is plenty to build on for the Point, and something else they were a bigger team than Kilcoo,they did well at midfield, they can use their height advantage in the future.
A word on Kilcoo, that's seven titles in eight years, I think, a great achievement, sometimes they don't get enough credit for how good a team they are. They're revitalising the team too with some promising young players. They're very fit, very well drilled and have a never say die attitude. That said I think this team is not as good as the team that took on Slaughtneil and outclassed them, only to have two players sent off. There's also a problem in the defence, they concede too many goals. The problem seems to be right down the centre of the defence, every time they're attacked there they look as if they are going to concede a goal, they conceded two goals in each of the three games I saw Kilcoo play and could have conceded two against the Point. Better teams in the All Ireland Club championship are going to exploit this weakness. I wish them all the best against the Derry champs, they deserve a change of fortune in this competition.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 17/10/2019 19:58:14    2244137

Link

In regards to the alleged sledging that is disfiguring the game, I suggest it not be tolerated at any game at any age level. Call it by it's right name,vile disgusting behaviour that is bringing the game into disrepute, same as squirting water bottles in players faces, which I saw done to a Down player in an Ulster Championship semifinal. I won't embarrass the player or county responsible, you can probably work it out for yourself.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 21/10/2019 20:33:36    2244858

Link

To disgrace at sledging at any age , when a player is caught at this regardless of their age or anything they should get a life band , This is people's families and friends the sledging is about , Players doing it should be named and shamed , total disgrace

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 19 - 21/10/2019 21:39:00    2244868

Link

Really horrendous stuff, there's slagging and then this stuff. I think most people would be horrified if they knew about some of the things that are being said.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 22/10/2019 01:58:29    2244888

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "How will Bright get on in Ulster?

Apart from CPN/Warrenpoint a few years back has a Down club given a decent account of themselves in junior or intermediate?"
Rostrevor got to the Ulster intermediate final against Moy 2 years ago. Lost by a point in the end if memory serves - with 2 men sent off, Moy then strolled to an All Ireland.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 22/10/2019 18:03:38    2245017

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "Rostrevor got to the Ulster intermediate final against Moy 2 years ago. Lost by a point in the end if memory serves - with 2 men sent off, Moy then strolled to an All Ireland."
Edit, Rostrevor was who I was thinking of.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 24/10/2019 12:23:49    2245429

Link

See the under 21s started today , surely they could do a better way of grading them from A and B ?
Definitely good teams playing eachother such as Bridge v B Ford ,, Letrim v Clonduff , teams like these am sure would like to be play A football instead of losers going into B , a round robin would be the best way to sort this with top 2 going to A and bottom 2 going to B , this way it would give the lads min of 4 games , and the thing would be done fair ,,, but is the typical of Down football, just a ticking box to say we did a under 21 competition , get it over as quick as possible, any thoughts?

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 19 - 27/10/2019 18:05:53    2246151

Link

Any idea when the league fixtures for next year will be released? I see they have been confirmed by Croke Park and released by a few other counties but haven't seen the Division 3 ones yet.

northamptongaa (UK) - Posts: 5 - 29/10/2019 23:09:08    2246558

Link

Kilcoo v Magherafelt. Conditions were good, barely a breeze, though Kilcoo had to play into a very bright sun, playing towards the Canal End. Kilcoo got off to a fast three point lead, Magherafelt seemed nervous, but levelled quickly. Kilcoo lead 0-5 to 0-4 at the break. The football wasn't great, lots of effort but again poor finishing. MF kicked four balls into the Kilcoo keeper's hands.
The second half was much better both teams picking up the pace. Jerome Johnson found the net after a lovely passage of play on 37 minutes. Kilcoo were dominating at midfield and were picking off MFs kick outs, who were struggling to get out of their own half. Magherafelt were attacking down the flanks and tried to get in along the byline but we're struggling for scores.
Sensing the game slipping away MF went more direct, using the size and strength of their forwards. They thought they had a goal, but the refs whistle denied them. The Kilcoo keeper also pulled off a brilliant save to stop a goal. They just couldn't close the gap and Kilcoo finished as worthy winners.
This was a much improved Kilcoo performance, much tighter at the back , fast on the break, very slick hand passing, great work rate. They have a lot of players who are very comfortable on the ball. Magherafelt will probably feel they didn't do themselves justice, lack of experience at this level hurt them, but they are good team and will improve. Some pundits are already crowning Kilcoo as Ulster Champion's because a couple of the favourites are already gone, but they are much too wise to get ahead of themselves. They can still improve and if they do will be hard to beat.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 04/11/2019 21:44:05    2247779

Link

Are there any players from the Kilcoo team who look the part for playing for the county, but who have not been given a shot yet?

Ward in midfield seems to perform well every week, some of the Branagans in defence are tough markers but can also use the ball well coming out, McCourt in goals is steady with the kick outs and can make a save when required.

Have the likes of these men and any others I may have missed out been invited to the panel before? Kilcoo are a great team and well oiled machine which is a huge part of why the win the SFC most years, but they also have some quality individuals who stand out regularly and who show leadership during tight games.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 63 - 05/11/2019 07:55:42    2247817

Link

Can't argue with fact , that young lad from Saul scoring 2-10 for under 21s in a club match , but didn't make county minors last year , this is one of the red high players that won that ulster cup last year , then James says they just working with what they got , obviously not !! .big part of the reason were Down football is going wrong

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 19 - 09/11/2019 20:27:48    2248823

Link

I think it's common knowledge that several Kilcoo players have made themselves unavailable for the County team. I have no problem with that, it's a huge commitment.

It's a problem for every county, there is also the fact that players are often working abroad or are taking years off to study or travel. I think the last Galway manager said that sixty players had turned down his invitation to join the Galway squad. I think people underestimate how much a player gives up to play for the county, not to mention the continual criticism that is now part of the game. I can't blame anyone for saying, thanks but no thanks.
As to certain players not being. selected, this seems to be a perennial complaint in Down. But the same complaint is probably being made in every county. I'd hate to think capable players are being denied a chance, I take what James McCartan said in good faith.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 10/11/2019 13:09:52    2248860

Link

Interesting article in Irish News by Stephen Poacher, predicting a mass exodus of Down footballers stateside and to the UK if Down don't make tier two and All Ireland Senior competition. He talks about the views of the Carlow players and their opposition to this new competition. He talks about Carlow beating Kildare in Leinster Championship quarter final and says one day like that is worth twenty days out in some All Ireland lite comp.
On the other hand Ballyholland/Down player Shane Mulholland supports the new comp, arguing that success at a lower level can spur teams on to new heights. I think he gave as an example, a team in the Dublin club championship who had been in the wilderness for years but have challenged the Ballybodens and St Vincent's this year ( I can't remember their name, apologies.) I'm sort of on the fence on this, what worries me is the example of some of the new Cup competitions especially in hurling. The way teams have been treated, leaves a lot to be desired, sort of like poor relations. I don't think players train in muck and gutters in brass monkey weather to have second best. Most teams will never see All Ireland success, but still don't take away the dream.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 13/11/2019 21:08:38    2249537

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "Interesting article in Irish News by Stephen Poacher, predicting a mass exodus of Down footballers stateside and to the UK if Down don't make tier two and All Ireland Senior competition. He talks about the views of the Carlow players and their opposition to this new competition. He talks about Carlow beating Kildare in Leinster Championship quarter final and says one day like that is worth twenty days out in some All Ireland lite comp.
On the other hand Ballyholland/Down player Shane Mulholland supports the new comp, arguing that success at a lower level can spur teams on to new heights. I think he gave as an example, a team in the Dublin club championship who had been in the wilderness for years but have challenged the Ballybodens and St Vincent's this year ( I can't remember their name, apologies.) I'm sort of on the fence on this, what worries me is the example of some of the new Cup competitions especially in hurling. The way teams have been treated, leaves a lot to be desired, sort of like poor relations. I don't think players train in muck and gutters in brass monkey weather to have second best. Most teams will never see All Ireland success, but still don't take away the dream."
Well these same players know what they need to do to avoid the shame of playing in the tier 2 competition.

"Most teams will never see All Ireland success, but still don't take away the dream."

I dreamt of lifting the Liam McCarthy many's a time. Then I turned 10 years old and caught myself on...

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2430 - 15/11/2019 09:31:56    2249720

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Well these same players know what they need to do to avoid the shame of playing in the tier 2 competition.

"Most teams will never see All Ireland success, but still don't take away the dream."

I dreamt of lifting the Liam McCarthy many's a time. Then I turned 10 years old and caught myself on..."
Yea Bricktop, but the difference is Down have actually won Sam. I seen Us do it twice with my own eyes, and play in a senior final this decade.

Winning Liam is fairly unrealistic if Antrim never even managed it by now.

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1400 - 16/11/2019 12:24:24    2249853

Link

Replying To Suas Sios:  "
Replying To bricktop:  "Well these same players know what they need to do to avoid the shame of playing in the tier 2 competition.

I dreamt of lifting the Liam McCarthy many's a time. Then I turned 10 years old and caught myself on..."
Yea Bricktop, but the difference is Down have actually won Sam. I seen Us do it twice with my own eyes, and play in a senior final this decade.

Winning Liam is fairly unrealistic if Antrim never even managed it by now."
We are down not antrim, and with an attitude like that is it any wonder down hurling and even football are in the state that they are. Yes its probably out of our reach now but if Sam or Liam is to ever come back to down it's time the county board started paying more attention to the future generations. How many players from development squads actually end up in the black and red. I know in our club we won a minor championship 2 years back and only 2 or 3 of the lads where involved in development squads where there genuinely was 6 or 7 players who had potential to be great hurlers. Time Strength and conditioning is focused on more at minors, both hurling and Gaelic squads should be in the gym at least 2 nights a week but should really be doing 4 nights to try and push on. I know many young lads who are taking It upon themselves and going to the gym but arnt working to their full potential. There should be coaches set and sessions to develop our young lads into real athletes for senior standard. Just my opinion.

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 70 - 17/11/2019 12:50:27    2249974

Link

Mighty win for kilcoo, I'm sure a few of my friends over there will realish the final and embrace it, how Conor laverty dosnt have a Ulster club medal yet is beyond me and I hope to God he gets over the line with kilcoo this year, no man deserves it more as the passion and commitment he has given to kilcoo over the years cant be questioned. So good luck lads and do yourselves and families proud!!

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 70 - 18/11/2019 17:43:37    2250207

Link