Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think one of the first things we need to do is to try figure out what our best defensive spine should be - no's 1,3 &6. There has been too much change there for us to form something solid and dependable. I think pa kelly is still our best option in goals. Touhy has never convinced and last year against galway fahy was very poor. His puckouts were a little all over the place and got caught badly for cooneys goal. Touhy might be a better shot stopper than kelly but id go with kelly for his solidity under the high ball and for his more accurate delivery.

Id probably persist withpat o'connor at full back though, i think he has being growing into the position.

Dillon is probably the other main candidate for no. 3 but id like to see him tried in the half back line. Mcinerney would be my first choice for no.6 but seen as he will be unavailable for the league id like to see dillon given a go there. Cleary and bugler shared no.6 a good big this year, but personally i think bugler should not be in the team going forward. Id have cleary in the mix for a place on the wing.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 17/11/2016 12:12:59    1935040

Link

Hogan, Quirke, McCarthy, Mcgrath, and Guilfoyle are some of the players being looked at,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 17/11/2016 21:25:22    1935213

Link

i have a question on the goalkeeper.why has quilligan never made the cut at senior.i,ve watched him in fitzgibbon for 3 years and he has been very good.davy made a comment after competition last year that he was a top keeper but he never included him thought it was strange.i feel the 2017 championship will be very competitve and interesting.who ever wins between clare and limerick guaranteed a quarter final.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 18/11/2016 17:04:19    1935391

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Jesus...you didnt watch much of Galvin from the first league final onwards so"
And here we have a - God-only-knows-what - who certainly didn't watch the All Ireland quarter final in which Clare went out.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 20/11/2016 15:37:59    1935572

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "And here we have a - God-only-knows-what - who certainly didn't watch the All Ireland quarter final in which Clare went out."
Well Galvin did score 5 points against Galway

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 20/11/2016 21:55:16    1935641

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "And here we have a - God-only-knows-what - who certainly didn't watch the All Ireland quarter final in which Clare went out."
Childish comment.

I am a huge fan of Galvin but from the league semi on he had a poor season overall. If you cant see that then perhaps the only game you watched this season was the quarter final?

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 21/11/2016 04:18:36    1935663

Link

I know its still very early for this kind of thing, but now that we know that we will be without the ballyea lads for the early part of the league, the following is the team id like to see given a go in the early part of the year.

1Kelly
2Oisin O'Brien
3O'Connor
4Morey
5Cleary
6Dillon
7Conor Ryan
8Galvin
9Jason McCarthy
10Conlon
11Bobby Duggan
12David Fitzgerald
13Collins
14Shanagher
15O'Donnell

I think its time for bugler and donnellan to be left out (thats if they both return next year) I think in some games physicality has been an issue, thats why ive left our the likes of tots and reidy, while others such as peter duggan and colin ryan i think have to offer a lot more than they have up until now to be considered starters.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 21/11/2016 08:55:02    1935673

Link

Galvin is one of the finest hurlers playing the game,,, and a real nice fellow into the bargain,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 21/11/2016 09:03:17    1935675

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Galvin is one of the finest hurlers playing the game,,, and a real nice fellow into the bargain,,,,"
CTGAA 10,I completly agree with you on your statements on the feakle goalie,Quinlivan.Thw Clare team is operating with just one goalie, Kelly Iwould rate him as good,above average.The other two tried Touhy and Fahey have not worked and we should be getting an additional keeper should the need arise. 1 have watched QUINLIVAN since his minor y ears. He has served for a few years now with the senio r team.They reached the semi final of the championship and were beaten three points by Ballyea in a very close game. We all know what Ballye did after that,Quinlivan played well in the championship and gave up few goals.He had quick reflexes and a magnificent puck out. He also figured prominently in the Fitzgibbon Cuo with davy fizgeralds LImerick univrsity club. Davy had a very high opinion of him as a keeper.I would enourage the management to give QUINLIVAN a chance.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 22/11/2016 01:00:16    1935878

Link

Im not sure who this Quinlivan you're talking about is boru! Are you talking about the all star tipperary football full forward?? Although while you're talking about keepers - i have to say i dont think the feakle goalie quilligan is up to intercounty level to be honest.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 22/11/2016 12:38:09    1935956

Link

hear davy is regretting leaving ye
hard to see anyone come near tipp for the forseeable future
should be a long wait for yere fifth AI

jonnyhogan (Tipperary) - Posts: 44 - 22/11/2016 14:11:20    1935972

Link

Replying To jonnyhogan:  "hear davy is regretting leaving ye
hard to see anyone come near tipp for the forseeable future
should be a long wait for yere fifth AI"
Good man jonnyhogan

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1006 - 22/11/2016 17:20:49    1936038

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Good man jonnyhogan"
i mIsspelled Quilligan's name and i apologise for that.I still think he would make an excellent substitute goalie for Clare and should be given a try.It will be interesting what members will be added to the panel. Ballyea should cerainly be represented,but as a hurling man,Ifear that Brennan will stay with the footballers.I wish he would change.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 22/11/2016 23:08:23    1936128

Link

Niall deasy will probably be the only new ballyea player on the panel..
Brennan is a decent hurler but he is not up to intercounty level hurling to be honest..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 24/11/2016 22:09:27    1936570

Link

im not sure deasy will commit, he lives and works in dublin and not sure he has the love of county game he has for the club, but time will tell. good hurler, can win own ball and reliable free taker. Would be a good addition to panel anyways for a look out.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 972 - 25/11/2016 10:25:16    1936633

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Childish comment.

I am a huge fan of Galvin but from the league semi on he had a poor season overall. If you cant see that then perhaps the only game you watched this season was the quarter final?"
I'll tell you what's childish. Immediately after that game against Galway you were on here whinging about how you were 'gutted' that 'you' had not got to Croke park for three years. Now you tell me, exactly what sacrificises have you had to make to realise that goal? Colm Galvin put in a phenomenal performance in that game and HE had every right to feel gutted. Yet little keyboard warriors like yourself feel you can then come on here and state that he put in no performance of worth since the drawn League final. And you call yourself a supporter.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 25/11/2016 12:51:21    1936665

Link

The argument here is that someone said galvin should have gotten an all star.

Im sure everyone here is fully aware of galvins undoubted quality, but the fact of the matter is that he did not deserve an all star this year and neither did any other clare player. He was excellent in the league game against kilkenny and easily our best player against galway.
Its a pointless argument anyway as it was the original point was maybe by a troll who only come on here trying to wind people up...

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 25/11/2016 22:16:12    1936767

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "The argument here is that someone said galvin should have gotten an all star.

Im sure everyone here is fully aware of galvins undoubted quality, but the fact of the matter is that he did not deserve an all star this year and neither did any other clare player. He was excellent in the league game against kilkenny and easily our best player against galway.
Its a pointless argument anyway as it was the original point was maybe by a troll who only come on here trying to wind people up..."
It is far from a pointless argument, bud. The debate about whether Galvin deserved an All-star or not is absolutely irrelevant here. It is a matter of the gall that certain keyboard warriors on this forum (yourself included) who, judging from their offerings here, have never picked up a hurley in their lives. can cry crocodile tears for the team going out, yet so nonchalently dismiss one of the performances of the year. And your previous comments on Cathal McInerney deserve the same contempt.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 26/11/2016 00:14:39    1936780

Link

i cannot fully express how impressedI HAVEBEEN, A,MIGO veronica with you letters. Ithink you should take over the title ''expert''.What a relief It would be to read you opinions and not the ill advised ramblings of the self proclaimed expert!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 26/11/2016 22:41:17    1936882

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "I'll tell you what's childish. Immediately after that game against Galway you were on here whinging about how you were 'gutted' that 'you' had not got to Croke park for three years. Now you tell me, exactly what sacrificises have you had to make to realise that goal? Colm Galvin put in a phenomenal performance in that game and HE had every right to feel gutted. Yet little keyboard warriors like yourself feel you can then come on here and state that he put in no performance of worth since the drawn League final. And you call yourself a supporter."
Jees. Someone must have hit a nerve with you.

I am not going to get into a slagging match about something that quite honestly you have managed to blow out of all proportion and to add to it have tried to become personal on the issue. You know nothing about me and or hurlingexpert so keep your personal speculation to yourself.

To think that because someone has committed so much they are "exempt" from any sort of criticism is a joke. It is part of being an intercounty player. I am sure Galvin is a top guy as he is a top player but to suggest that his performance levels from the league semi final onwards were as they should be or we should expect from a player of his ability is silly. Granted he was excellent against Galway but there were 5 other games after the league semi final.

Ps: "I'll tell you what's childish. Immediately after that game against Galway you were on here whinging about how you were 'gutted' that 'you' had not got to Croke park for three years. Now you tell me, exactly what sacrificises have you had to make to realise that goal?"

This doesnt even make sense??? How is that childish?

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 28/11/2016 01:25:41    1937017

Link