Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To brianboru:  "I do think we should be delighted with the hurling championship draw. 1t is an easy passage to the munster final. and that is where we want to be. It's a great break for the players and management team.What is there not to like about it?"
In the eighties and nineties east clare ruled the roost in management with FR. HARRY BOHAN AND GER LOUGHNANE,both from FEAKLE being the key people in the management of the Clare hurling team.And what a great job they did.Then in the 2000's we went on to mid clare, and had the expertise of DAVY FITZ AND ANTHONY DALY to guide us.There were some great days we all enjoyed. NOW the wheel has come full circle and it is backto EAST CLARE again with DONAL MOLONEY FROM SCARRIFF AND GERRY O CONNOR FROM KILLANENA being appointed o lead the clare seniors.That was a nice note the Killanena GAA posted on theirfacebook to honor the occasion.Let us hope there will be reasons to celebrate in the future

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 15/10/2016 17:47:28    1926487

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "I do think we should be delighted with the hurling championship draw. 1t is an easy passage to the munster final. and that is where we want to be. It's a great break for the players and management team.What is there not to like about it?"
If Clare are happy drawing Limerick then great. The feeling is mutual. Its a good draw for both counties and I hope the county boards can come together to get it on in the Gaelic Grounds. 50/50 match

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 16/10/2016 13:54:53    1926619

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "In the eighties and nineties east clare ruled the roost in management with FR. HARRY BOHAN AND GER LOUGHNANE,both from FEAKLE being the key people in the management of the Clare hurling team.And what a great job they did.Then in the 2000's we went on to mid clare, and had the expertise of DAVY FITZ AND ANTHONY DALY to guide us.There were some great days we all enjoyed. NOW the wheel has come full circle and it is backto EAST CLARE again with DONAL MOLONEY FROM SCARRIFF AND GERRY O CONNOR FROM KILLANENA being appointed o lead the clare seniors.That was a nice note the Killanena GAA posted on theirfacebook to honor the occasion.Let us hope there will be reasons to celebrate in the future"
Davy Fitzgerald is from Sixmilebridge. Thats the last village in South East Clare. Its not mid Clare and never has been. Geographically South East Clare is a distinct cultural and geographic area within Clare where 'going to town' is going to Limerick. Broadford, kilaloe down to Parteen, Meelick , ardnacrusha..cratloe, clonlara and finishing at Sixmilebridge.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 16/10/2016 14:00:10    1926621

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "If Clare are happy drawing Limerick then great. The feeling is mutual. Its a good draw for both counties and I hope the county boards can come together to get it on in the Gaelic Grounds. 50/50 match"
I reckon brianboru is one person in Clare and not all of Clare

If the sequence of results continue in this fixture its Limericks turn to win!

I feel even at this very early stage this is a 50/50 game. Great opportunity for both teams to reach a provincial final.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 16/10/2016 22:37:35    1926753

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "If Clare are happy drawing Limerick then great. The feeling is mutual. Its a good draw for both counties and I hope the county boards can come together to get it on in the Gaelic Grounds. 50/50 match"
At this stage I would put Clare slight favorites actually but only because as bad as Clare were this year, Limerick were absolutely woeful. If I was a Limerick fan I would nearly be more concerned with getting out of 1B as although it is not bad to spend a year or two down there, Limerick have been there for maybe 7 season now and I think that is a problem.

All that being said, only at the completion of the knock out stages of the league should we be able to give an educated guess as to the outcome of this one.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 17/10/2016 04:21:21    1926770

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "At this stage I would put Clare slight favorites actually but only because as bad as Clare were this year, Limerick were absolutely woeful. If I was a Limerick fan I would nearly be more concerned with getting out of 1B as although it is not bad to spend a year or two down there, Limerick have been there for maybe 7 season now and I think that is a problem.

All that being said, only at the completion of the knock out stages of the league should we be able to give an educated guess as to the outcome of this one."
Yeah Id disagree with you there 'Lohan'. Limerick were definately worse than you guys this year but I think theyve more room for improvement. Ye cant compete in the air and the best two players in the Clare county final are under 5'4 in Tots and about 5'9 in Tony Kelly. Weve got some size and height to work with. Ye might have to start stretching your lads on the rack..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 18/10/2016 16:37:47    1927331

Link

ya cos Cathal Malone, John Conlon, Peter Duggan, Aaaron Cunnigham, Aaron Shanager and Bobby Duggan are all small...sweet jesus such nonsense. they are all 6 foot plus.

you should never thrown stones in glasshouses..

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 19/10/2016 14:48:05    1927603

Link

i can never get the limerick obsession with all things clare..i culdnt give a toss what other counties have, concentrate on your own team.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 19/10/2016 14:49:46    1927604

Link

and the best player in the county final was Gudgy O Connell. Hurled a ton of ball and defended well. Why do people just look at forwards scoring and assume they get the MOTM. Over the 60 mins he was the best player. Lazy analysis.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 19/10/2016 14:53:42    1927605

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah Id disagree with you there 'Lohan'. Limerick were definately worse than you guys this year but I think theyve more room for improvement. Ye cant compete in the air and the best two players in the Clare county final are under 5'4 in Tots and about 5'9 in Tony Kelly. Weve got some size and height to work with. Ye might have to start stretching your lads on the rack.."
Ah sure i knew well you would be disagreeing.

Tony Kelly btw is 6 foot but easy guess I suppose when you have only seen him on TV and not in person.

Limerick do not have more room for improvement simply as Clare have better players. Saying we dont have height is a uneducated response. We chose to play a certain way under Fitzy that complimented smaller players and therefore, they were selected.

If needs be, we have plenty of options for height to come into the forwards line with Daire Keane, Aron Shanagher, Cunningham, Malone, Conlon, Honan (although his aerial game needs plenty of work), the two Duggans but to name a few.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 20/10/2016 03:09:10    1927763

Link

The duggans are 2 lads that we really need to step up, they have so much to offer if they can deliver on their potential..
Conlon obviously is a class player and shanagher looks a great prospect.
Ive kinda given up on cunningham and honan in terms of being top intercounty players.
While i dont think keane or malone will make the step up at this stage..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 21/10/2016 12:16:21    1928126

Link

Clare won the league and no all-star,,,, not fair at all Hurlingexpert,,,...

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/11/2016 10:51:06    1931784

Link

haha ah i know kid, its scandalous really! What clare players would have included? and instead of who?

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 05/11/2016 13:24:29    1931832

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "haha ah i know kid, its scandalous really! What clare players would have included? and instead of who?"
Galvin for Maher at 12,.....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/11/2016 16:34:53    1931882

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Galvin for Maher at 12,....."
Yes i do agree whole heartedly that the choices on the all star panel was a disgrace.The choices obviousle were made based on the final stages of the championsip and not the entire year.0nly five counties were included. No selection from such outstanding counties as Cork, Clare, Dublin,Limerick,Offaly,Wexford, and all the counties from the north.In the national league Clare for e xample gave a comprehensive beating to TIPP BUT NO CONSIDERATION FOR THAT. I thought Kelly was an obvious choice!!!!!. cURRENT ALL STAR SELECTIONS what a joke!!!!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 07/11/2016 00:34:45    1932225

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Galvin for Maher at 12,....."
Jesus...you didnt watch much of Galvin from the first league final onwards so

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/11/2016 01:17:10    1932230

Link

sorry no clare player deserved an all star, 3 nominations was great but kelly galvin and dillon never hit the heights of the lads who got picked, lets be reasonable about this lads.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 07/11/2016 09:01:07    1932242

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "sorry no clare player deserved an all star, 3 nominations was great but kelly galvin and dillon never hit the heights of the lads who got picked, lets be reasonable about this lads."
CLAREMAN, you make so much sense most of the time.I was flabbergated by your commant on the ALL STARS selections. Seven TIPP pla yers were chosen.I thought selections were to be based on selection f or the entire year. Did you see the CLARE-TIPP national league game.Based on that you could not choose seven Tipp players and no clare player chosen.AND the rot continues as evidenced by BALLYEAS conquering of THURLES SARSFIELDS.Maybe you should have second thoughts.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 07/11/2016 19:23:29    1932494

Link

Will Garry Brennan be the new Walter Walshe... no doubt Brennan is some man....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 08/11/2016 09:16:43    1932603

Link

hoppingball you are some wum god bless ya

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 08/11/2016 10:28:02    1932628

Link