Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

what do ye make of daly withdrawing from the race to be manager?i think it was a wise move because from what i was hearing there wasn,t full support,and the last thing ye needed was a divided camp.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 08/10/2016 16:15:50    1924062

Link

Dalo did a very honourable thing because he is an honourable man. I hope to see him involved with clare soon. Maybe at minor or 21s but not sure how that will work with his role in limerick. He will get a chance to manage clare again i feel.

Donal and Gerry deserve this, not sure about Cusack being still involved but overall i am happy. Lets see now how we change.

After we lost to Waterford in 21s and KK in interemediate final, Donal Maloney said we need to be better in the air and also physically stronger. That sounds to me like a man who knows where we need to improve.

I will be renewing my season ticket with enthusiasm. Roll on 2017

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 08/10/2016 18:30:13    1924093

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Dalo did a very honourable thing because he is an honourable man. I hope to see him involved with clare soon. Maybe at minor or 21s but not sure how that will work with his role in limerick. He will get a chance to manage clare again i feel.

Donal and Gerry deserve this, not sure about Cusack being still involved but overall i am happy. Lets see now how we change.

After we lost to Waterford in 21s and KK in interemediate final, Donal Maloney said we need to be better in the air and also physically stronger. That sounds to me like a man who knows where we need to improve.

I will be renewing my season ticket with enthusiasm. Roll on 2017"
Well I well sorry for Davy,Every C lare person should appreciate his many years of magnificent service.Ifeel certain he realizes there were times when he recognised he was using the wrong tactics. Iwished he had taken off for a few months,and took care of his health. I do tegret that Anthony did not stay in line for the job.I do not feel confident as others the new team will do a good job. 1 hoped im provrenrong, but personally I would feel more comfortable with Daly t the helm

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 09/10/2016 00:05:41    1924149

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "Well I well sorry for Davy,Every C lare person should appreciate his many years of magnificent service.Ifeel certain he realizes there were times when he recognised he was using the wrong tactics. Iwished he had taken off for a few months,and took care of his health. I do tegret that Anthony did not stay in line for the job.I do not feel confident as others the new team will do a good job. 1 hoped im provrenrong, but personally I would feel more comfortable with Daly t the helm"
Thank you Anthony Daly. He did the right thing. I dont think he would have been a success. His teams dont know how to attack and rarely score goals. Hes a backs man and is naturally cautious. Clare are on the up. If they can start competing in the air and start their best team then they ll be dangerous. In saying that id put them well behind Tipperary and Waterford in Munster for 2017

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 10/10/2016 19:55:33    1924657

Link

Boru do you think clare would be better off fielding an entirely feakle team next year. Going by what you have said they are a genuine top class side!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 11/10/2016 20:06:52    1925089

Link

So Donal and Gerry have tonight officially been ratified, delighted for them. They've built up along the ladder, through minor, under 21 and intermediate - with plenty of success to go with it. They've worked with probably 75% of the current panel over the last 6/7 years which also gives them a massive advantage. The step up to senior management though is a whole other kettle of fish ans is a massive challenge for them, i wish them all the best and really hope they can be a success for the sake of clare hurling. It seems that donal og cusack will be part of the management team again and seanie mcmahon will also more than likely be involved. Exciting times ahead for clare hurling!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 11/10/2016 22:05:43    1925177

Link

Hurling expert you are really slipping.It was hopping ball,not me who suggested that a number of the FEAKLE TEAM.not all of them were good enough to be considered for a place on the Clare team,n .I AGREE WITH HIM.but hoped that even you would knowthat a good parish player does not necessarily make a good county player.Surely you would have noticed that a number of seemingly great parish plavers when promoted to the county level did not make the grade.We can only hope that a genuine lover of hurling like you would grasp the reality of claiming to be an expert dos you no good

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 12/10/2016 00:15:02    1925206

Link

Look i was quiet obviously being extremely sarcastic. Just forget about it and lets focus on getting behind our new management for next year - good lad!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 12/10/2016 09:09:58    1925234

Link

hurling expert, you know it is universally accepted that sarcasm is the great weapon of a weak mind .but i must acknowledge it is not always clear what exactly you are saying. I do agree we must really get together and support the new management. I hope donal moloneyand gang can pull it off, but am concerned that despite having a great team to work with they wont be up to the task.I still think DALY was the man for the job.Ican never forget being at the final of the under 21 s against Limerick a few years ago.We had a great forward line,and playin with a strong breeze in the second half. The management insisted on short puck outs which left our forwards starved.Now that the board had appointed them we must support the appointed managers,and expect the best.Im glad that Donal Og has been retained as part of the team. But boy, how I would love to see Daly there,

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 12/10/2016 19:46:14    1925499

Link

Pat fitz is the main reason that daly pulled out of the race kid!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 13/10/2016 08:57:53    1925591

Link

Harsh Boru. You doubt them after 1 game which they lost to the eventual AI champions after they had delivered AIs in a row????!

For the record, it was only Donal Maloney in charge that day, Gerry was not involved in 2015 due to work commitments.

The short puck outs kept us in the game as limerick half backline was dominant and going long was not working. we lost 22-19, really limerick were 6/7 better on the day.

also, that team was not expected to do much yet they beat a v strong waterford and only lost by a goal in limerick.

strange criticism i have to say.

i have great time for Dalo but he seems to be a slave to sweeper system and the last few limerick underage teams have been very negative in their approach. Ask any Limerick hurling man that and they will agree.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 13/10/2016 09:02:39    1925592

Link

Thats a good point actually clareman and i fully agree. But to be honest i hope the 2 lads are not pressured into playing some sort of wide open expansive style. I presume they are not naiive enough anyway to be influenced in that way by the clare public.
Obviously everyone of us wants i would think wants rid of the famed sweeper system but the fact is that we have to play smart, different tactics win different games. We have to be flexible in how we play the game. Defense is still 50% of the game!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 13/10/2016 12:00:26    1925665

Link

listening to them on the radio yesterday i have n odubts that they know where we are lacking. They both mentioned ability to win earial ball as well as be stronger in tight situations. Maloney even said its harder to hurl senior than at 21 as so less space.

I thought it was interesting that he said it was only this year he felt clare were actually getting back to where they should be...Time will tell how much of a rebuild or reboot is needed!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 13/10/2016 14:24:19    1925739

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "listening to them on the radio yesterday i have n odubts that they know where we are lacking. They both mentioned ability to win earial ball as well as be stronger in tight situations. Maloney even said its harder to hurl senior than at 21 as so less space.

I thought it was interesting that he said it was only this year he felt clare were actually getting back to where they should be...Time will tell how much of a rebuild or reboot is needed!"
Clareman interesting observation from a genuine Clare supporter. 1 do think it was a mistake to puck out the ball in a way it became available to an excellent Limerick half forward line cost Clare the win.Our Clare supporters recognize the problem and kept chanting for long puck outs, but their advice was ignored.And yes,putting the future because of one mistake would be unfair,but in the years I saw more than one.However lets forge ahead ith a positive approach.We must all give them every encouragement

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 13/10/2016 17:59:31    1925859

Link

I agree Boru, lets drive on and be positive. 2017 offers a lot, hopefully clare playing to their potential is what we all want to see. I dont think that has happened enough in last few years. After county final, a panel will be put together. Interesting and exciting times.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 13/10/2016 20:34:22    1925895

Link

Tipp won the all ireland and i guaranteecyou michael ryan would be the first to admit that he made mistakes this year. No one is perfect and no management makes the right decisions all the time. It is petty to criticise on the basis of one tactic used against whatvwas a superior team anyway!! the 2 boys know whats needed and ive every confidence they will deliver..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 13/10/2016 20:52:26    1925899

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Tipp won the all ireland and i guaranteecyou michael ryan would be the first to admit that he made mistakes this year. No one is perfect and no management makes the right decisions all the time. It is petty to criticise on the basis of one tactic used against whatvwas a superior team anyway!! the 2 boys know whats needed and ive every confidence they will deliver.."
CLAREMAN, AMEN, AMEN TO EVERYTHING YOU SAY !!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 13/10/2016 21:49:07    1925918

Link

I think its a little crazy having the championship draw on this early, but look it is what it is! I dont know is there is such a thing as a favourable draw in munster hurling but limerick is the game i wanted to be honest! Wouldnt have liked to have met tipp that early anyway..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 14/10/2016 08:46:12    1926045

Link

i wanted Waterford, we owe them one. Limerick and clare is always tight, 50/50 game, both teams will think they can win, hopefully a big crowd and good game.

on a side note, i think munster and leinster should be round robin, with top 2 into final. home and away every 2nd yea rlike 6 nations. Id rather player limerick in a packed ennis or limerick, or waterord in a packed walsh park than ah half empty stadium in thurles.

more games the better. just my 2 cents.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 14/10/2016 09:49:36    1926074

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "i wanted Waterford, we owe them one. Limerick and clare is always tight, 50/50 game, both teams will think they can win, hopefully a big crowd and good game.

on a side note, i think munster and leinster should be round robin, with top 2 into final. home and away every 2nd yea rlike 6 nations. Id rather player limerick in a packed ennis or limerick, or waterord in a packed walsh park than ah half empty stadium in thurles.

more games the better. just my 2 cents."
I do think we should be delighted with the hurling championship draw. 1t is an easy passage to the munster final. and that is where we want to be. It's a great break for the players and management team.What is there not to like about it?

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 14/10/2016 17:26:49    1926316

Link