Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "*not just one small facet of the game......"
Having a ball winning half forward line is not just a small facet of the game it is a vital component. AGAIN Clare have failed to win a single game of note in 3 years ( only beating a poor Waterfird team and a badly managed Limerick) Do you seriously think that's only down to style of play? Clare simply don't have enough top quality players the last 3 years proved it and now Davy is being made a scapegoat . He won an AI that no one else would have won. Think someone told you that in 2013 and so it has proved

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 22/09/2016 18:59:08    1918077

Link

Is David McInerney not the best fullback ye have ? Why was he moved out the field ? Why isn't Conor Ryan at 6 ?

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1270 - 22/09/2016 19:15:37    1918088

Link

Realtmo Conor ryan missed most of this year firstly because he was injured, then he had a strange viral condition. To be honest i dont think he is good enough to be a center back at this level anyway..
Mcinerney is a fantastic hurler, i was happy to see him being moved out of the full back line as his talent was being restricted in that position. Personally i was delighted to see him at center back because i think for us he is the best fit to that position.

Df i dont know what to say to you! You havent answered any point i have made, you have only changed the direction of the argument when i have questioned you.. You think clare dont have enough good players and thats fine, i dont really care because i know the talent that is in that team. They are 6 or 7 genuine top class players in that team and the rest are more than capable of bringing us to a level where we should be able to compete with anyone. Davy brought the group as far as he could but his methods just were not working to get the best out of the them for the last 3 years.
We did win the all ireland earlier than any of us would have expected, but we were hardly going to hand back the trophy like!
The fact is genuine clare hurling followers kmow that this team should have been able to continue on challenging aftee that success. Unfortunelty davy couldnt deliver on that hope so a change was needed.
I know as a outsider its hard for you to understand and thats fine too.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 22/09/2016 20:57:49    1918131

Link

2017 will be a fresh approach that was badly needed for Clare. We needed a change so its very welcome. Davy was on the wrong side of a few close games that if they went the other way he may still be in job, but that's sport. Ultimately, his system became outdated and predictable, but he gave us 2013 and a league title so we must always remember that, even if in last 3 years all we beat in the summer were a sub standard offaly, laois and a truly pathetic limerick.

2015 killed it for him IMO, off field stuff plus relegation plus losing to limerick and cork, 2 woeful sides was unforgivable. only a munster title and AI semi would have saved him this year.

He will bounce back and I wish him well.

One thing i will say about this bunch of clare players, they rarely if ever take a beating. Yes they have lost a good lot of games by 6/7 points or less, but they rarely capitulate like limerick, dublin, cork and wexford have in the last few years. To me this means they are made of good stuff, and with a new fresh voice we can attack 2017 with renewed vigour. We have some holes in the team that need filling but i would rahter be tyring to find a ball winner or holding midfielfer than trying to prodcue a kelly, mcrath, galvin or podge, these are gifted lads.

we are a good bit off the top 4 at moment and limerick will improve under kiely so next year will be very competitive but i cant wait!

Roll on 2017. HON THE BANNER.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 23/09/2016 09:28:42    1918234

Link

Defensively, we have gone backwards sine '13. At the moment, Conor Ryan (centre back) and Conor Cleary (corner back) are the only automatic names I would have. Davy Mac would be much better served partnering Galvin in midfield, while Fitzgerald is needed in the half forward line (his more natural position). Seadna Morey also needs to be accommodated, either at wing or corner back. Likewise, Paul Flanagan needs a decent chance to establish himself. O Connor and Dillon could be under pressure to retain their places. Pat Donnellan worth a try at fullback? Personally, neither Oisin O'Brien nor Jack brown convince me as being good enoough to make the squad, while Bugler at best is just cover now.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 24/09/2016 22:21:24    1918787

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "Defensively, we have gone backwards sine '13. At the moment, Conor Ryan (centre back) and Conor Cleary (corner back) are the only automatic names I would have. Davy Mac would be much better served partnering Galvin in midfield, while Fitzgerald is needed in the half forward line (his more natural position). Seadna Morey also needs to be accommodated, either at wing or corner back. Likewise, Paul Flanagan needs a decent chance to establish himself. O Connor and Dillon could be under pressure to retain their places. Pat Donnellan worth a try at fullback? Personally, neither Oisin O'Brien nor Jack brown convince me as being good enoough to make the squad, while Bugler at best is just cover now."
Are you for real?

There is so much wrong with your post it isnt even funny. Conor Cleary a guaranteed starter at corner back? He isnt even a guaranteed starter at wing back where is actually plays. Conor Ryan hasnt played in a year and is certainly not guaranteed. On what basis do you think Fitz is a natural half forward. i have seen nothing from him that suggests he has scoring capabilities to play in that line. Half back for me. O Connor and Dillon under pressure? Have you watched Clare over the past 3 years, as bad as we have been, they have been probably our two most consistent players. Pat Donnellan does not have the physicality for full back.

Finally, OOB and Brown not good enough for the panel??? Can I seriously ask if you watch hurling at all?

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 25/09/2016 08:17:10    1918815

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Are you for real?

There is so much wrong with your post it isnt even funny. Conor Cleary a guaranteed starter at corner back? He isnt even a guaranteed starter at wing back where is actually plays. Conor Ryan hasnt played in a year and is certainly not guaranteed. On what basis do you think Fitz is a natural half forward. i have seen nothing from him that suggests he has scoring capabilities to play in that line. Half back for me. O Connor and Dillon under pressure? Have you watched Clare over the past 3 years, as bad as we have been, they have been probably our two most consistent players. Pat Donnellan does not have the physicality for full back.

Finally, OOB and Brown not good enough for the panel??? Can I seriously ask if you watch hurling at all?"
I have watched and played a lot more hurling than could imagine.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 25/09/2016 09:59:50    1918823

Link

Like lohan i disagree with nearly everything in that post! Although to be fair fitzgerald is a more natural half forward than a defender as he has played almost all his club hurling in the forward line, wouldnt necessairly be a prominent score taker but he is very good in the air..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 25/09/2016 11:02:54    1918840

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Like lohan i disagree with nearly everything in that post! Although to be fair fitzgerald is a more natural half forward than a defender as he has played almost all his club hurling in the forward line, wouldnt necessairly be a prominent score taker but he is very good in the air.."
That's ok, Hurling expert. There isn't a lot in your posts I agree with either.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 25/09/2016 11:53:24    1918860

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Like lohan i disagree with nearly everything in that post! Although to be fair fitzgerald is a more natural half forward than a defender as he has played almost all his club hurling in the forward line, wouldnt necessairly be a prominent score taker but he is very good in the air.."
I know he is superb in the air but we can't afford to have non scoring forwards and to be selected there at senior inter county level he would want to be fairly prolific at club level! Peter Duggan might be a better option there as he is also very good in the air and a prolific scorer at club level. That being said Peter lacks the ability to create space after he fields the ball but this can be worked on

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 26/09/2016 04:41:12    1919079

Link

Conor Cleary does not have the hurling for centre back or indeed wing back. he could be a wall winner in half forward line as he is strong in the air but he needs to speed up his hurling. David Mac to midfield is something would also like to see myself, at least tried out. Seadna Morey and Paul Flanagan are better options in the back than cleary imo.

our defenders have become lazy due to the sweeper so perhaps we need to pick faster and more tidy players there. we cough up a lot of ball coming out of defence. That needs to stop, clare are there own worst enemy at times.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 26/09/2016 08:49:42    1919091

Link

Lohan believe me, i think we think we are all waiting/hoping that peter duggan will deliver on his massive potential, he couls be such a key player for us if we can just get the most out of him!!

Mcinerney to midfield could be a massive option for us, i just dont see better options for no. 6.. We could possibly try cian dillon there??
I think seadna morey has to be in the team, but i would only have him at corner back. I think he is too small and not strong enough in the air to make it at wing back.
I do think cleary can do a good job for us to be honest.
Out of interest, would ye have conor ryan in ahead of cleary of cleary at wing back?

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 27/09/2016 12:27:52    1919603

Link

I wish to thank both Clooney and Clareman on their insightful comments on the Feakle situation. Their achievements for such a small parish are surely the envy of all. Great credit is due to their manager V al Donnelan , who has nurtured a very young inexperienced squad into a very accomplished side . I think the Clare Senior Team could from his expertise. Credit must also go to Ballyea. The have come from a very undistinguished past to be real contenders . thanks to thier maestro , TonyKelly, Both may be considered underdogs. Their semi-final should be a great game and who knows what the fina result will be. Let me cngratulate Hurling Expert on his recent conversion.In an earlier release he scorned Feakles chance against Ballyea but now he maintains a victory could be theirs if they pray or rain!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 27/09/2016 20:49:06    1919899

Link

i was all for conor cleary at cb last year but i think he needs to speed up his hurling, conor ryan is probably a better fit in their but he has not been at the races for a while and also injured. he could be wing back or midfield. Paddy Donnellan is a very good hurler,, good under high ball, 2 sides, he maybe an option there, he has played for clare at 6 before and never let us down.

Lads essentially for me we dont have a clue what our first 15 is, so the new mgmt team are starting form scratch. that may be a very good thing.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 28/09/2016 10:06:39    1920050

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "i was all for conor cleary at cb last year but i think he needs to speed up his hurling, conor ryan is probably a better fit in their but he has not been at the races for a while and also injured. he could be wing back or midfield. Paddy Donnellan is a very good hurler,, good under high ball, 2 sides, he maybe an option there, he has played for clare at 6 before and never let us down.

Lads essentially for me we dont have a clue what our first 15 is, so the new mgmt team are starting form scratch. that may be a very good thing."
Pat Donnellan has been mentioned for some position. He has not played with his club for months, maybe has been missing the whole year. Yes he would be a big bonus if fit and available. Any information on him?

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 28/09/2016 22:59:24    1920319

Link

still in recovery i hear, its been nearly 9 months since it happened so hopefully he is neatly back to doing running and light training.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 29/09/2016 14:55:03    1920534

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "still in recovery i hear, its been nearly 9 months since it happened so hopefully he is neatly back to doing running and light training."
Clareman, as usual you are very knowledgeable and up to date.I hope donnellan makes it back. Thank you for the info and to hogan stand for providing the means to communicate.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 29/09/2016 16:51:43    1920607

Link

you are welcome Boru.

So its Ballyea v Clonlara, very few would have predicted that. Clon will be warm favs but Ballyea will give them plenty of it. Hopefully a good contest.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 976 - 03/10/2016 13:57:13    1921890

Link

The suspected two management teams are now proposed.

Daly with Lohan and Tommy Dunne v Maloney and O Connor.

I for one would go for Daly but Maloney and O Connor certainly deserve a shot. I would be happy either way but just feel Daly has the edge with senior experience and this could be vital. That being said Maloney and O Connor are serial winners and are respected by the panel. Kinnerk is a big loss to their chances though as he was part of the underage package.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 05/10/2016 15:21:04    1922888

Link

I too would side with daly, particularly now that ive seen his proposed backroom team - lohan would probaby have been 3rd favourite for manager himself and tommy dunne was seeminly very highly regarded as a coach while he was coaching dublin.

Its a little unfair on moloney on particular considering all he has achieved but two points previously mentioned are against him - senior experience and being without kinnerk.

Also to add to those 2 points jerry o'connor stepped away from the 21s because of work commitments. If his work situation was to remain the same then it would be impossible to see how he could co manage a senior intercounty team!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 06/10/2016 15:31:16    1923348

Link