Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hoppingball:  "Dosent really matter if Clare had 5men in the full foward line,,, winning ball in the half foward line is the problem..."
Hallelujah I have only been saying this for 3 years now . Finally someone agrees. Winning primary possession is one of the basics of the game.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 20/09/2016 15:27:10    1916983

Link

just listening tonewstalk and according to a journalist wit the clare champion davy will be gone in the next 24 hours.player power,it seems senior members of the panel want change.the players are now putting themselves in the same position as galway hurlers and mayo footballers.who will be the next manager for ye?

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 20/09/2016 19:56:24    1917106

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "just listening tonewstalk and according to a journalist wit the clare champion davy will be gone in the next 24 hours.player power,it seems senior members of the panel want change.the players are now putting themselves in the same position as galway hurlers and mayo footballers.who will be the next manager for ye?"
And our own crowd at the time of the 'Justin Affair'

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2275 - 20/09/2016 20:49:19    1917146

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Davy is the man,,, get behind him,,, ye wont get any better,,,,"
Hopping
Why are Galway posters on here so keen to see Davy left.
I am not a Banner man or indeed a Clare supporter and there is not an evil, paranoid or suspicious bone in my body. But if there was I might just think that ye fear this Clare panel of players under better management

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2275 - 20/09/2016 20:56:34    1917151

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "just listening tonewstalk and according to a journalist wit the clare champion davy will be gone in the next 24 hours.player power,it seems senior members of the panel want change.the players are now putting themselves in the same position as galway hurlers and mayo footballers.who will be the next manager for ye?"
Hardly the same as Galway and Mayo - Clare are no longer competitive in Senior Championship hurling. Galway and Mayo were knocking on the door.

Davy has won one Munster Championship game (to an end of the road Waterford team in 2013) - They never played Tipp during his stay

In 2013, other results went Clare's way and they were the best of a bad bunch - all 4 semi-finalist that year have struggled badly since. Kilkenny and Tipp met in the qualifiers

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 20/09/2016 21:13:01    1917162

Link

The question now is who will replace Davy,,, the name Anthony Cunningham has been mentioned,,,,as a galway supporter I would prefer to meet Clare in a big game without Davy then with him...

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 20/09/2016 21:47:54    1917186

Link

Buy buy Davy. Thanks for all your efforts and for your involvement in bringing 3 All Irelands to Clare. A fantastic servant to Clare hurling and if reports are true has done the right thing by stepping aside.

I would like to see Anthony Cunningham as the next Clare manager but have a feeling it will be Daly after he "asked not to be considered" for the Limerick job.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 21/09/2016 06:21:17    1917254

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Buy buy Davy. Thanks for all your efforts and for your involvement in bringing 3 All Irelands to Clare. A fantastic servant to Clare hurling and if reports are true has done the right thing by stepping aside.

I would like to see Anthony Cunningham as the next Clare manager but have a feeling it will be Daly after he "asked not to be considered" for the Limerick job."
Daly players choice surely though Moloney & O Connor have to be favourites after all they did with u-21 bunch.They deserve a chance what will happen to Donal Og he might well be asked to stay as coach we could do worse id say

Davy will appear again with another team so good luck to him but change was needed old format too stale.

Will be some Munster championship next year Tipperary/Waterford/Clare/Limerick/Cork all with new ideas and ambitions.

Limerick could be a real force too next year

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 21/09/2016 09:00:39    1917281

Link

Replying To disillusiondfan:  "Hallelujah I have only been saying this for 3 years now . Finally someone agrees. Winning primary possession is one of the basics of the game."
Congrats df a truely proud moment for you. We'll do our best to arrange some sort of celebratory party for you achievement!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 21/09/2016 09:33:47    1917296

Link

I dont think this is anything like the ousting of the galway manager. He brought them to an all ireland final, where they collapsed in the sexond half. They had a meeting to try and get him out.
Our players had a meeting to decide what was the best way forward.

Personally i think i would like to see daly get the job, i would just go with him ahead of donal moloney. Although i would love to see moloney as daly right hand man. I would much rather see him involved than donal og cusack anyway!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 21/09/2016 09:40:19    1917300

Link

Fair play to Davy, he said in his statement he did what was best for Clare hurling. Best of luck to Davy in what ever he does. As for the players I just think this Clare team are to small, for me they are 3 or 4 years behind a good few teams in S&C. No matter what man takes them over I think skill alone won't win them the all Ireland.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1270 - 21/09/2016 20:32:14    1917699

Link

Its very rare the manager ends on a high. Its difficult for any manager to keep things going smoothly for 5 years. When the dust settles Davy will be a hero again. He was a genesis in 2013.

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 21/09/2016 20:48:29    1917711

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "Fair play to Davy, he said in his statement he did what was best for Clare hurling. Best of luck to Davy in what ever he does. As for the players I just think this Clare team are to small, for me they are 3 or 4 years behind a good few teams in S&C. No matter what man takes them over I think skill alone won't win them the all Ireland."
strength and conditioning is not an issue, some of clares players are just naturally smaller people - in terms of height. no amount of strength and conditioning will make a person taller.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 21/09/2016 21:00:37    1917718

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "strength and conditioning is not an issue, some of clares players are just naturally smaller people - in terms of height. no amount of strength and conditioning will make a person taller."
True about height but some are simply to light and can be shoved around. A serious look around the County for some big men is needed. Ye need a better balance around field

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1270 - 21/09/2016 21:31:58    1917738

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "True about height but some are simply to light and can be shoved around. A serious look around the County for some big men is needed. Ye need a better balance around field"
I totally agree - I was at the Waterford and Galway Championship games this year and at times it was men against boys. I remember Reidy, Podge and Tots occupying the half forward line at one stage and not winning a single thing. You had Galvin and SOD floating around them - sure not one of them are above 5'9 - Podge & Tots must be 5'6 max

There's little cutting in the current bunch - I think 2013 has in a way given people a false sense of how good they are. Good teams are competitive in the heat of Championship and these lads for the most have been dire. Their efforts in both games mentioned above were pitiful

Its great to see that a new management will be in place for next year as I was thinking we'd be looking at the same stuff again next year - that I couldn't take.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 21/09/2016 21:57:59    1917756

Link

I know what you're saying and i kind of agree but its important to make changes for the right reasons. Theres no point throwing in someone just because he is big. I suppose in looking at tipp this year, they brought in dan mccormack, who everyone knows is not a better player than jason forde. But he was the kind of hard working, good in the air type of player they needed. Maybe one guy like him to compliment john conlons all round ability in the half forward line is what we need also. Although in saying that i would be very reluctant to leave out a better quality forward in favour of that type of player! Maybe we could try david fitzgerald up in the half forward line. Its at least worth a go! Then to add some more strength to the midfield we could try young jason mccarthy there, as he looks a real quality player based on intermediate and under 21 games..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 22/09/2016 11:50:53    1917875

Link

I would hope hurling men would agree that you build your team around a rock solid halfback line, Doyle, McMahon and Daly, Walsh, Hogan and Delaney, Finnerty, Keady and McInerney, Mac Curtain, Crowley and Coughlan - these are halfback lines that make you competitive for at least 5 years

whoever takes the reins in Clare they should look no further than Morey, McInerney and O'Connor - with Galvin and Kelly at midfield and surely McGrath will nail down a jersey, Dillon at fullback and sure ye are nearly there already, the team rolls off the tongue, yes, Galway want Davy to stay in Clare :)

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 22/09/2016 14:17:30    1917939

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I know what you're saying and i kind of agree but its important to make changes for the right reasons. Theres no point throwing in someone just because he is big. I suppose in looking at tipp this year, they brought in dan mccormack, who everyone knows is not a better player than jason forde. But he was the kind of hard working, good in the air type of player they needed. Maybe one guy like him to compliment john conlons all round ability in the half forward line is what we need also. Although in saying that i would be very reluctant to leave out a better quality forward in favour of that type of player! Maybe we could try david fitzgerald up in the half forward line. Its at least worth a go! Then to add some more strength to the midfield we could try young jason mccarthy there, as he looks a real quality player based on intermediate and under 21 games.."
For three years Clare have not been able to compete in t he half forward line for primary possession and for three years you have been blindly saying its not an issue. A little more than tinkering required to sort that out. No matter who comes in as manager Clare will still have the same issues as they have had for the last 3 years. Changing manager is not a silver bullet.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 22/09/2016 14:23:47    1917941

Link

Replying To disillusiondfan:  "For three years Clare have not been able to compete in t he half forward line for primary possession and for three years you have been blindly saying its not an issue. A little more than tinkering required to sort that out. No matter who comes in as manager Clare will still have the same issues as they have had for the last 3 years. Changing manager is not a silver bullet."
What i always told you is that we can compete. An under 10 player can compete in the air, doenst make him a ball winner though. You have to at least attempt to understand that being able to compete and being a ball winner are fundamentally different.. To say any player isnt even able to compete is a personnal insult and is just wrong.. John conlon is zy best ball winning half forward in the country! Then you say we cant even compete!! i understand the point you are making - just your way of communicating is completely wrong.
The problem anyway over the last number of years has been the entire system of play, just just one small facet of the game..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 22/09/2016 16:38:39    1918010

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "What i always told you is that we can compete. An under 10 player can compete in the air, doenst make him a ball winner though. You have to at least attempt to understand that being able to compete and being a ball winner are fundamentally different.. To say any player isnt even able to compete is a personnal insult and is just wrong.. John conlon is zy best ball winning half forward in the country! Then you say we cant even compete!! i understand the point you are making - just your way of communicating is completely wrong.
The problem anyway over the last number of years has been the entire system of play, just just one small facet of the game.."
*not just one small facet of the game......

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 22/09/2016 16:52:33    1918021

Link