Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "df i was starting to agree with some of the things you said previously but this post is a bit of a joke. kelly is the best keeper we have - we saw how much his accurate puckouts were missed against galway. im not saying he is absolute top class but he is certainly good enough.
to say o'brien is unproven is a silly comment. no player will be proven if they are sitting on the sideline and in all the games he has played he has been very good. particularly in the championship game against waterford he was excellent. he has been proving himself in every game and he will only get better.
i dont see how you can say mcinerney is not a center back, i was calling for him to be put there last year so i was delighted that he was put there this year. he has almost every skill in the game, i think in terms of versatility and all round ability he is second only to austin gleeson in terms of being able to play in more or less any position. i think he is the future for us at center back.
galvin has had 10 on his back recently but anyone who has watched the clare games will know he has played midfield in every game and also he was outstanding against galway. our best player by a mile!!
there is no perfect team out there like, every team has positions they can improve on even kilkenny!! just because we havent got the perfect team certainly doesnt mean we cant be contenders.."
fully agree, no team is perfect but this one is a great place to start from, McInerney is the perfect centre back in an orthodox set up

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 04/08/2016 10:33:44    1895217

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Im not denying the facts, what im saying is we have the players to be so much better.
Also you seem to forget that we were down to 13 players for an entire half in one of those wexford games. And were reduced to 14 in the other game, obviously that didnt help - and they are difficult to beat at home most of the time. If anything actually we did fantastically well to not get beaten when we had 2 players less. Although when it was 15 on 15 in extra time, we were far too complacent and probably just very tired actually after doing so well to draw the game originally. You may have forgotten these points - its all not as black and white as you make it seem.
We only lost to cork by a point last year, when we hit what seemed like 25 wides. Cork hit a lot of wides as well but thats not my problem!! Playing o'donnell as the only man inside 50 meters obviously didnt help our cause. And what really didnt help us was our foul count, i dont remember exactly but horgan must have hit 10 frees and he got 2 or 3 from play at the very end when we were ahead.
Every game is different df its not clever to just generalise as you do!"
So Wexford are hard to beat at home? Why didn't someone tell that to Dublin? Teams only get players sent off and have high free counts because they are under pressure. Top tier teams don't get two players sent off against teams like Wexford. Top tier teams don't lose to Cork. Top tier teams don't shoot 25 wides in any game. The case for the prosecution rests.

As for McInerney it seems you not one for learning from your mistakes. You and I had a very similar argument about Padraic Maher. You were convinced he would develope into a top class 6 and I said he wouldn't. He won an all star at 6 in 14 after playing a lot or most of year at 7 and the very minute Tipp could find someone else they moved him back to 7. Ronan Maher is only U 21 6 to win Senior Munster senior c ship. That will tell you how eager Tipp were to move Padraic out of 6. McInerney is a fantastic player but like Padraic Maher 6 is not his best position and my gut feeling is if Clare persist with him at 6 they will regret it. As for the whole Clare were too tired to beat Wexford 15 on 15 easily the biggest excuse I have ever read on here and that saying something. Clare are prob a top 6 team and need serious improvement before they even think about being a top 4 team being a good 6 or 7 points below Galway or Waterford and even more below the other 2 .

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 04/08/2016 19:41:41    1895840

Link

Replying To disillusiondfan:  "So Wexford are hard to beat at home? Why didn't someone tell that to Dublin? Teams only get players sent off and have high free counts because they are under pressure. Top tier teams don't get two players sent off against teams like Wexford. Top tier teams don't lose to Cork. Top tier teams don't shoot 25 wides in any game. The case for the prosecution rests.

As for McInerney it seems you not one for learning from your mistakes. You and I had a very similar argument about Padraic Maher. You were convinced he would develope into a top class 6 and I said he wouldn't. He won an all star at 6 in 14 after playing a lot or most of year at 7 and the very minute Tipp could find someone else they moved him back to 7. Ronan Maher is only U 21 6 to win Senior Munster senior c ship. That will tell you how eager Tipp were to move Padraic out of 6. McInerney is a fantastic player but like Padraic Maher 6 is not his best position and my gut feeling is if Clare persist with him at 6 they will regret it. As for the whole Clare were too tired to beat Wexford 15 on 15 easily the biggest excuse I have ever read on here and that saying something. Clare are prob a top 6 team and need serious improvement before they even think about being a top 4 team being a good 6 or 7 points below Galway or Waterford and even more below the other 2 ."
you're hilarious!! i never said wexford are unbeatable at home. i said difficult most of the time. which everyone knows to be true!!

padraic maher and mcinerney are completely different players so that argument you had is irrelevant!!

waterford hit about 20 wides against wexford so does that mean they are not a top team??

galway can hardly be considered a top team when they are so inconsistent. cork beat them in the league relegation game!!

tipp and kilkenny are the top 2. everyone else is trying to get to that level.

was bubbles o'dwyer under pressure when he got sent off against limerick? no - obviously so thats another irrelevant argument. saying red cards were because of pressure. red cards can happen in any game!!

i dont see how tiredness can not be seen as a factor!! playing a full half against a team with 2 extra men??? a five year old would understand how physically draining that would be.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 04/08/2016 21:11:47    1895887

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "you're hilarious!! i never said wexford are unbeatable at home. i said difficult most of the time. which everyone knows to be true!!

padraic maher and mcinerney are completely different players so that argument you had is irrelevant!!

waterford hit about 20 wides against wexford so does that mean they are not a top team??

galway can hardly be considered a top team when they are so inconsistent. cork beat them in the league relegation game!!

was bubbles o'dwyer under pressure when he got sent off against limerick? no - obviously so thats another irrelevant argument. saying red cards were because of pressure. red cards can happen in any game!!

i dont see how tiredness can not be seen as a factor!! playing a full half against a team with 2 extra men??? a five year old would understand how physically draining that would be."
I never said you said Wexford are unbeatable at home .Why do you say/ imply that I did? I repeated exactly what you said. No top team has any difficulty in beating Wexford at home.

Waterfird got absolutely hammered against Tipp I don't think anyone would say they are one of the all time top teams but they beat Clare easily enough. Did they not? Or is that down to tiredness / unlucky poor shooting or some mysteriously inexplainable amount of frees conceded by Clate

Thanks for proving my point by bringing up Bubbles. Of course he was under pressure against Limerick. Did you not watch the game ? Watch it again count the possessions bubbles had. He hadn't touched the ball before he drew on English he was absolutely cleaned out. It was sheer frustration and nothing else. Padraic Maher and Mcinerny are indeed different hurlers but you used the exact same flawed logic to incorrectly assume that Maher would be a top class 6 as you are now with McInerney. Do you deny that you predicted Maher would excel at 6 just as you are making the same assumption now in relation to McInerney? A simple yes or no will suffice.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 04/08/2016 23:37:31    1895960

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "you're hilarious!! i never said wexford are unbeatable at home. i said difficult most of the time. which everyone knows to be true!!

i dont see how tiredness can not be seen as a factor!! playing a full half against a team with 2 extra men??? a five year old would understand how physically draining that would be."
One thing you are right about is that Clare have been far more consistent than Galway in last three years. Galway have managed to win a few decent games in that time.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 04/08/2016 23:46:03    1895965

Link

Replying To disillusiondfan:  "I never said you said Wexford are unbeatable at home .Why do you say/ imply that I did? I repeated exactly what you said. No top team has any difficulty in beating Wexford at home.

Waterfird got absolutely hammered against Tipp I don't think anyone would say they are one of the all time top teams but they beat Clare easily enough. Did they not? Or is that down to tiredness / unlucky poor shooting or some mysteriously inexplainable amount of frees conceded by Clate

Thanks for proving my point by bringing up Bubbles. Of course he was under pressure against Limerick. Did you not watch the game ? Watch it again count the possessions bubbles had. He hadn't touched the ball before he drew on English he was absolutely cleaned out. It was sheer frustration and nothing else. Padraic Maher and Mcinerny are indeed different hurlers but you used the exact same flawed logic to incorrectly assume that Maher would be a top class 6 as you are now with McInerney. Do you deny that you predicted Maher would excel at 6 just as you are making the same assumption now in relation to McInerney? A simple yes or no will suffice."
You seemed to completely dismiss wexfords credentials when you said "why didnt someone tell that to dublin?"
You obviously have absolutely no time for wexford at all and think they are awful, so lets leave it at that.
At least we can agree that the "top" teams wouldnt have any bother beating wexford - now that we have established that kilkenny and tipperary are the only 2 top teams out there!

To be honest with regard to bubbles red card i actually didnt see the game as i was on holidays with the bird! But i just presumed he wouldnt have been under much pressure when they were only playing limerick like.

Yes i did think that padraic maher was the right man to play center back for tipp for the last couple of years. He had done reasonably well in the position until richie hogan arrived to no.11 position against him!! Tipp were struggling to establish a dominant center back anyway so he seemed like the best option.

His brother ronan though is a more natural center back - his arrival allowing padraic to move back to the wing. I had only seen ronan a handful of times before this year, but when i saw him this year against clare in the league he was fantastic. By a mile the best player on the pitch i thought, even though clare won!!

Taking that mcinerney and p maher are very different players - you still havent given any specific reasoning as to why mcinerney cant be a top class center back. Without refering back to maher - what is this flawed logic you speak of?

Got a good laugh out of your little dig at clares consistency there to be honest!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 05/08/2016 09:56:57    1896057

Link

DF did a Clare lad run off with your mrs at one time in the past? Why the dislike? Its a bit tiresome. You spend more time on this page than the Limerick one!

Pointing out other people's failures is all well and good if you are in a winning position...Clare beat Limerick handy TWICE this year so if we are bad, ye must be truly awful. Pipe down until the new year.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 05/08/2016 11:42:30    1896127

Link

We are Clareman. Id have us 7th or 8th in the country. Pity. But its the truth.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 05/08/2016 20:20:10    1896406

Link

Replying To mike03:  "We are Clareman. Id have us 7th or 8th in the country. Pity. But its the truth."
Haha ah well cork are fairly useless as well

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 06/08/2016 14:01:52    1896590

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Haha ah well cork are fairly useless as well"
No question about it Hurlingexpert Davy Fitz.is the man to lead Clare into the future....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 07/08/2016 10:23:58    1897181

Link

Waterford were awesome yesterday, imagine if we were allowed to play like that!!
Only a few weeks ago hurling was in crisis, then we finally get the game we all needed and thankfully now people are rejoicing at the sport once more. Thats how hurling should be played, incredible stuff!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 08/08/2016 11:34:53    1897911

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Waterford were awesome yesterday, imagine if we were allowed to play like that!!
Only a few weeks ago hurling was in crisis, then we finally get the game we all needed and thankfully now people are rejoicing at the sport once more. Thats how hurling should be played, incredible stuff!"
As Daly said last night - its was good to see the back on this Tippy Tappy stuff!

Great to see Waterford had the cop-on to see that defensive tripe wouldn't get them anywhere against decent opposition. Nice to see some trust put into players by management.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1037 - 08/08/2016 13:28:00    1898026

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "DF did a Clare lad run off with your mrs at one time in the past? Why the dislike? Its a bit tiresome. You spend more time on this page than the Limerick one!

Pointing out other people's failures is all well and good if you are in a winning position...Clare beat Limerick handy TWICE this year so if we are bad, ye must be truly awful. Pipe down until the new year."
Clareman I normally enjoy your posts but am I not entitled to analyse Clare just as I would any other team? I just applied my understanding of the game and went into some detail on why I felt the way I did. For the most part I have been proven right in my analysis. If i have been proven right is it not then a fair anlysis?

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 09/08/2016 11:02:18    1898636

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "DF did a Clare lad run off with your mrs at one time in the past? Why the dislike? Its a bit tiresome. You spend more time on this page than the Limerick one!

Pointing out other people's failures is all well and good if you are in a winning position...Clare beat Limerick handy TWICE this year so if we are bad, ye must be truly awful. Pipe down until the new year."
As for being more on here than on the Limerick site 2 reasons. 1 Most Limerick people knew that this year like last year would be a complete write off and so its hard to get enthused when you know that. 2 A certain poster on this site tried very hard to dismiss and ridicule the reasoning behind posts that I have been putting up for the past three years. Its only human nature to point out to someone like that that there were incorrect. Is it not?

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 09/08/2016 12:09:32    1898708

Link

My point DF is not that you are right or wrong, or that you not entitled to an opinion, which of course you are, and you make a lot of valid points, but you do come on here and highlight Clare's losses and defects with great relish. There is no need, especially after the inept showing of Limerick this year in all 3 games that mattered for ye. To me it sounds like bitterness towards Clare, as opposed to any constructive criticism.

in any year, Clare would take a bit of silverware cos we dont win much, so the league was most welcome, HOWEVER, we have serious talent at our disposal that is being neglected and not used correctly, thus to me this year has been a waste. That is hexpert's point I would imagine and bar one or 2 points, i would agree with him. We have a core of 6/7 outstanding players and a lot of good ones too, but we seem to be burnt come summer, playing a negative stifling game plan, that is a coaching error, not lack of personal. I would wager good money and also all my years of watching hurling that a clare team trained by a top class proven manager like Cody, Sheedy, O'Grady or even Dalo or donal Maloney would be getting this clare team to croker most years.

The majority of pundits across Ireland, and all non Clare people I may add (Sheedy, Shefflin, Brennan, Tommy Dunne, Tomas Mulcahy, Brendan Cummins, Ken McGrath, Daithi Regan, Eoin Kelly, even Eamon Cregan! ) are in unison that this Clare team is under performing with the talent they have, but you seem to think we might as well stay at home cos he havent a hope..i think you need to get over the parochial stuff and then we can move on.

Also, Hex is clearly winding you up some times, you dont always need to take the bate....

Peace out lad.

Roll on 2017.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 10/08/2016 09:30:03    1899230

Link

Df one point id genuinely like if you answered is about david mcinerney. You say i think he can play centre back - because of some flawed logic. Now without refering back to padraic maher as we have established they are very differnet players can you please tell me what your reasoning is and what this "flawed logic" is.

Clareman i generally agree with most of your comments - and respect what you have to say, so id be interested to hear what are the couple of things i said that you said you didnt agree with.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 11/08/2016 08:54:22    1899733

Link

Its in relation to the personal on the teams you pick, nothing to do anything you said. I feel the teams you pick tend to be a lightweight at times, and not sure of your midfield combo! Fairly minor stuff.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 12/08/2016 13:48:58    1900297

Link

well i went in to POWER bookmakers to day to have a bet on waterford.I missed them earlier in the week at 7/2. They ere at 11/4. i still had a small bet. But I was planning a big bet on Clare ROCKET in the IRISH GREYHOUND DERBY to be told Paddy power is not accepting bets because the derby is sponsored by Boyles!!!!!!!!!!. WELLL THIS IS MY LAST TIME TO PLACE A BET WITH paddy power. HOW PETTY AND VINDICTIVE CAN YOU GET. From now ON i'lltaker my business elsewhere. By the way CLARES ROCKET LOOKS VERY GOOD TO NIGHT,BETWEEN TWO SLOW BEAKERS,

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 13/08/2016 18:32:19    1900627

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "well i went in to POWER bookmakers to day to have a bet on waterford.I missed them earlier in the week at 7/2. They ere at 11/4. i still had a small bet. But I was planning a big bet on Clare ROCKET in the IRISH GREYHOUND DERBY to be told Paddy power is not accepting bets because the derby is sponsored by Boyles!!!!!!!!!!. WELLL THIS IS MY LAST TIME TO PLACE A BET WITH paddy power. HOW PETTY AND VINDICTIVE CAN YOU GET. From now ON i'lltaker my business elsewhere. By the way CLARES ROCKET LOOKS VERY GOOD TO NIGHT,BETWEEN TWO SLOW BEAKERS,"
I watched the semi final, galway and tipp, yesterday, and felt galway were very unlucky.Surely the loss of Canning in the second half cost them at least ix points.Galway deserved victory.Looking back on the entire season Istill feel Clare should have been in the All IRELAND FINAL - PROBABLY AGAINST Waterford in September,We have the most talented team in the country.Now it has to be decided what really went wrong, philosophy of play,strategy,or choice of players

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 15/08/2016 18:13:03    1901439

Link

Brianboru that is the attitude that needs to change for Clare to challenge again. Ye were miles off being in an all Ireland final this year. Ye played 2 decent teams all Summer and lost both badly. Until a bit of realism is brough in by Clare supporters the players will think they are better than they are and will never work hard enough to improve.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 15/08/2016 22:14:04    1901524

Link