Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

great post from Hogan.all gaa people would echo those sentiments,no matterwhat county we are from.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 21/07/2016 17:38:10    1887825

Link

Best wishes to Davy for a quick recovery. Hope you are back on the line for the semis and final. You and Cody make hurling great

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1378 - 21/07/2016 20:11:08    1887882

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Best wishes to Davy for a quick recovery. Hope you are back on the line for the semis and final. You and Cody make hurling great"
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery to full health to Davy. He is the one man from outside Limerick I would unreservedly have as our manager, if he was available. A true hurling man

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 21/07/2016 22:28:08    1887941

Link

Sorry for the past few months,health issues made it impossible for me toparticipate.But i enjoyed reading the contributions pf all the regular participants.Ihope Davy will be available on sunday.No Matter how you feel about Davy you must apppreciate his!!!!. fierce loyalty to CLARE.And he has accomplished so much both as a player and coach.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 24/07/2016 00:56:52    1888922

Link

Hope all is well BB and same wishes for Fitzy.

I would argue that regardless of how he feels, it would prob be best to stay away from the line today after having a heart procedure during the week. Knowing the man, I doubt that will keep him away however.

Massive game today. IMO if we win this game we are serious contenders for the All Ireland. Getting to Croker in August is where we will see this Clare team shine.

Nothing to fear today, as I said all year if we play to out potential - we win - simple as that.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 24/07/2016 11:26:03    1889036

Link

Might be a bit short notice but the person I was going with has been taken ill this morning so have three tickets available if anyone is interested. Will give away for any price at all. Can email you them to print off. Tickets are in the Ardan O Coinneain stand.

KildareSean (Kildare) - Posts: 2 - 24/07/2016 12:41:39    1889074

Link

I said it 2 weeks ago. That was 2 bad teams in Thurles. 4 actually when you add in cork and wexford. Todays confirms that regardless of what happens in the next 20 mins

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 24/07/2016 17:13:07    1889236

Link

Replying To mike03:  "I said it 2 weeks ago. That was 2 bad teams in Thurles. 4 actually when you add in cork and wexford. Todays confirms that regardless of what happens in the next 20 mins"
Lohan was right''If we play to our potential we should win'' we did not. The Galway performance was an example to our players. Maybe we should forget systems ,and just play.It was a pleasure to see Conor McGrath back.Maybe he should have started!! Anyway all in alll it was a good season

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 24/07/2016 18:09:33    1889266

Link

I dont see how it was a good season. Ye beat Laois & us and we are shocking. Thats pretty much it.

Davy has turned good players into bad players.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 24/07/2016 18:41:39    1889290

Link

WELL look at the total results for the year,and you would have to agree it was a good year for Clare hurling!!!! I just watched a replay of the game,and felt that both goals scored against us could have been avoided.. What happened do our old goalie,Kelly. He was very good,and I feel if he was available we might have had a different result.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 24/07/2016 20:09:15    1889340

Link

brianboru thats a bit childish ye might have won if ye had diff goalie....clare have been very poor all year since league. not sure if davy is restricting players or are ye not good enough.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 24/07/2016 20:28:14    1889352

Link

mcgrath was a big loss, kelly lesser so but still a loss. But lets look at the bigger picture here, no disrespect to limerick who are at a bit of a lull right now but the 2 times it was put up to us in championship we buckled and had no answers. Davy has said after both defeats that we were beaten by better teams. True yes - but with the players we have they should not be better than us.
The book stops with davy and i think he has to go now. The one thing he always says is that a system should be used to suit a teams strengths. Take this one point - tony kelly is the one major strength we have over all other teams and this kind of system does us no favours in getting the best of of him, similarly then with podge, mcgrath, o'donnell etc sure they all might have an occasional good game but with players of this talent we need them affecting the game all the time. More than 1 of them i doubt have performed in any one game recently. Our hit a hope tactics into a helpless john conlon (who i feel for) were embarressing to say the least. We need a fresh approach before its too late, this is our most talented group of players probably ever and we need to trust them to go out and express themselves. Second goal today was one of the worst deffensively ive seen at any level. Players are too relient on having the luxury of playing with a sweeper and are in capable of winning one on one battles. We need to have a serious look at how we play the game. Only one of our genuine top class players playing to their potential in each game is not good enough- galvin was outstanding today but thats the first time we've really seen what he can do since the kilkenny game.
We are currently all about trying not to lose and preventing goals. We are failing miserably on both fronts, i have no doubt that davy gives everything he has for clare hurling but its just not working for us. Not getting to croke park in 3 years really really hurts, i can only imagine how the players must be feeling..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 25/07/2016 00:15:47    1889468

Link

Davy has really restricted our players playing a constipated style of hurling limiting the skill our players possess. In 3 championships, we have beaten Limerick and no one else of note.

Davy please do the honourable thing and resign. We know the county board wont pull the trigger.
Would love to see Donal Moloney given a shot at manager.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 25/07/2016 00:31:00    1889472

Link

Replying To mike03:  "I dont see how it was a good season. Ye beat Laois & us and we are shocking. Thats pretty much it.

Davy has turned good players into bad players."
Fair play to you Mike - coming over here on a day when we are down really days a lot about your character.

We won the league for the first time since 1978 and that alone was an achievement. We also got promoted to 1a. We failed to deliver in the championship and in reality, I knew our goose was cooked when we couldnt comfortably beat that Limerick team the last day. Overall, the season will be remembered as a neutral year - some positives and some negatives.

Mike - if you really want to see the poster child for a poor season - Limerick is the prime example.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 25/07/2016 05:19:02    1889487

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "WELL look at the total results for the year,and you would have to agree it was a good year for Clare hurling!!!! I just watched a replay of the game,and felt that both goals scored against us could have been avoided.. What happened do our old goalie,Kelly. He was very good,and I feel if he was available we might have had a different result."
Well I think if you had Kelly and a fully fit McGrath and Conlon it might have made a difference.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 25/07/2016 08:21:40    1889492

Link

better team won, no excuses. Clare cannot win ball in the air up front and even if they break it, hunger is not there to win the 50/50 tussles and we get blown out of it all too easily. We are not a top 4 sise, we are the best of the rest which is a very bad bunch. Something needs to change, either management, or a lot of the players. Im sick to my back teeth looking at same problems in every game. Bar Galvin, David Mac and lessor extent kelly and conlon, nobody took the fight to Galway, that is a sign of a team that is spent. 2 gutless defeats either side of a win against a brutal laois and a pathetic limerick is all we have to show for a summer that promised so much.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 25/07/2016 09:58:17    1889535

Link

Very disappointed yesterday another season gone the league final win some comfort but not a lot.
Hard to know where to put the blame a lot of our players did not perform but it is obvious that Inter County managers now have a mind set and are obsessed by tactics and systems we saw that in First match too Wexford 5 points down has 2 extra free men in backs why not gamble put them up on the Waterford sweeper beaten by 10/11 anyway was it going to matter if you were beaten by 5 more.
I have no wish to be hard on anyone but you have to ask a few questions.

Why was Pa Kelly dropped it appears to have nothing to do with being injured he is our best keeper Oisin O Brien & Conor Cleary are good honost lads don't think they have the hurling skills for this level. Conor is a half back anyway not crafty enough at midfield.
Colin Ryan was dropped after he got married after the Waterford championship it was obvious that we need a free taker that could get 9 out of 10 Ryan should have started midfield David Reidy had a good campaign but is he a bit too small ?
Podge should not have started yesterday after playing a tough game with the footballers the day before and if Conor McGrath was fit to come in surely he was fit to start and then bring on Podge

Finally with the wind to our backs 8 points down making no inroads on the score why on earth did we not go 15/15
We could not win puck outs yet we had lads on the bench that could, hard to figure out. Aaron Cunningham is a fine hurler at no 13 though he wont win the dirty ball he replaced Shanagher who was trying very hard we made bad use of our bench.

In fairness our best forward up to the time he got injured was John Conlon he was no where near his best yesterday

Will Davy go i think he should at this stage he has made a good contribution but i think we need change now maybe a now more mature Anthony Daly

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 25/07/2016 10:05:10    1889539

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Fair play to you Mike - coming over here on a day when we are down really days a lot about your character.

We won the league for the first time since 1978 and that alone was an achievement. We also got promoted to 1a. We failed to deliver in the championship and in reality, I knew our goose was cooked when we couldnt comfortably beat that Limerick team the last day. Overall, the season will be remembered as a neutral year - some positives and some negatives.

Mike - if you really want to see the poster child for a poor season - Limerick is the prime example."
Limerick's season was awful. We beat Westmeath. That's it. But I can openly admit we are awful.

The sooner you wake up to Davy the better. He has done nothing for ye. His record in the Munster championship is the worst out of every county since he took over. If it was anyone else but him he would have been out on his ear a long time ago.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 25/07/2016 10:52:58    1889568

Link

Oisin o'brien doenst have a huge amount of hurling but what he has is something every team needs. He is a very tenacious man marking corner back which will be vital to us in future.
Pa kelly should definitely come in, i know they didnt want to change a winning team - but you have to play your best players.
Colin ryan - reidy is a fair argument, weighing up pros ans cons, in fairly 50/50!

One player that needs to be discussed is seadna morey - he has been the most harshly treated hurler in the county for the last 4 years. He is a class hurler and we need him in the team. Personally i think we were only 3 players off our best team yesterday - kelly, morey + mcgrath (for the record id take our fahy, bugler + browne)
Another thing that we need to look at is our puckouts - they were awful. We could not win our own ball. Galway marked conlon and cut off the option for short puckouts, so fahy just hit it as far as he could and we lost most of them. Fahy lacks the accuracy of pa kelly to find a man in tighter spaces..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 25/07/2016 11:13:24    1889584

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Oisin o'brien doenst have a huge amount of hurling but what he has is something every team needs. He is a very tenacious man marking corner back which will be vital to us in future.
Pa kelly should definitely come in, i know they didnt want to change a winning team - but you have to play your best players.
Colin ryan - reidy is a fair argument, weighing up pros ans cons, in fairly 50/50!

One player that needs to be discussed is seadna morey - he has been the most harshly treated hurler in the county for the last 4 years. He is a class hurler and we need him in the team. Personally i think we were only 3 players off our best team yesterday - kelly, morey + mcgrath (for the record id take our fahy, bugler + browne)
Another thing that we need to look at is our puckouts - they were awful. We could not win our own ball. Galway marked conlon and cut off the option for short puckouts, so fahy just hit it as far as he could and we lost most of them. Fahy lacks the accuracy of pa kelly to find a man in tighter spaces.."
Big mistake not moving Bugler up to the forthy years ago,,, play Kelly and Galvin midfield,,,,, still a good year won 15 out of 17 and the inter. final still to come,,,, so Clare should be happy enough.....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 25/07/2016 13:00:18    1889661

Link