Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Some good points but the simple fact is talent wise u believe we have the superior players - and on that basis in addition to our form this year should win the game! Forget he league but this team has played 15 senior games his year and won 14. We have better forwards than Limerick and Limerick have been all over the shop this year truthfully.

Of course it is possible that Limerick could win but I just don't see it - only my opinion."
I think that's a fair call Lohan I'd expect Clare to win this one too but cos it's a derby you'd never know but Clare for me by plus 7 I hope to god I'm wrong though

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1073 - 04/07/2016 23:26:28    1876542

Link

Sad to see Laois back to where they were five years ago after making great strides for a few years...7 retiring from the team last year took its toll.

Not much of a match for Clare and to be honest ..

Be interesting to see if Laois people travel back down to Ennis this Sunday(for the football) after such a hammering in the hurling.

Clare will beat Limerick well on Saturday night in my opinion!

I still think ye are the biggest threat to Killkenny and will bask in Glory if I'm proved right later in the year!

BigJohn.6_8 (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 05/07/2016 09:57:41    1876610

Link

You are so far off the mark Blackspot it is unreal. It will be a turkey shoot on Saturday, there is zero confidence in the Limerick team. Player wise I don't think there is much between the two, the difference is Davy and TJ, no comparison, Kinnerk and Cahill, no comparison, by all accounts the Limerick training is a joke. We have no game plan after three years in charge. Clare by 10+ and best of luck to them I won't begrudge them for a minute. They know the shambles of a team they are meeting on Saturday evening and they will win handy.

Hoover78 (Limerick) - Posts: 865 - 05/07/2016 12:22:56    1876729

Link

Some pretty bad injury updates today, seems mcgraths injury is his hip which is a worry as he had his hips operated on if im not mistaken 4-8 weeks is the time frame given.. Lets hope its at the lower end of the scale for a potential quarter final. Similarly with kelly who is said to be absent for 4 weeks, hopeing he will also be back for a potential quarter final game. Conor ryan has returned to light training but it seems to be a tricky one to monitor, again if we were to overcome come limerick it would be great to have a full panel available to us going forward. As we will need everyone available if we come up against any of the top 3 - kilkenny, tipp and waterford. I honestly think we should beat anyone else without one or 2 players. Mcgrath though will always be missed as he is a genuinely top class player, tony kelly is arguably our only other player in that top top bracket. Mcineney, galvin, conlon maybe!! I certainly dont think limerick have anyone as good as that 5 i mentioned. And thats not an insult its just my honest opinion..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 05/07/2016 17:37:17    1876925

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Some pretty bad injury updates today, seems mcgraths injury is his hip which is a worry as he had his hips operated on if im not mistaken 4-8 weeks is the time frame given.. Lets hope its at the lower end of the scale for a potential quarter final. Similarly with kelly who is said to be absent for 4 weeks, hopeing he will also be back for a potential quarter final game. Conor ryan has returned to light training but it seems to be a tricky one to monitor, again if we were to overcome come limerick it would be great to have a full panel available to us going forward. As we will need everyone available if we come up against any of the top 3 - kilkenny, tipp and waterford. I honestly think we should beat anyone else without one or 2 players. Mcgrath though will always be missed as he is a genuinely top class player, tony kelly is arguably our only other player in that top top bracket. Mcineney, galvin, conlon maybe!! I certainly dont think limerick have anyone as good as that 5 i mentioned. And thats not an insult its just my honest opinion.."
Dowling, Downes, and Hannon, are fair operators, not to mention Cian Lynch.........

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/07/2016 22:58:27    1877065

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Dowling, Downes, and Hannon, are fair operators, not to mention Cian Lynch........."
No denying that fact, i just dont think any of them are as good as the 5 clare lads i mentioned..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 06/07/2016 08:43:54    1877107

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Dowling, Downes, and Hannon, are fair operators, not to mention Cian Lynch........."
Cian Lynch is a great hurler and the other three are very good hurlers although it is arguable, Downes, Hannon and Dowling (who all burst on to the scene) have not reached the heights expected of them. That being said, on their day they can do serious damage but those days have been few and far between.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 06/07/2016 09:20:05    1877123

Link

Replying To Hoover78:  "You are so far off the mark Blackspot it is unreal. It will be a turkey shoot on Saturday, there is zero confidence in the Limerick team. Player wise I don't think there is much between the two, the difference is Davy and TJ, no comparison, Kinnerk and Cahill, no comparison, by all accounts the Limerick training is a joke. We have no game plan after three years in charge. Clare by 10+ and best of luck to them I won't begrudge them for a minute. They know the shambles of a team they are meeting on Saturday evening and they will win handy."
There isnt a hope Clare will win by 10. It will be tight but I expect us to kick on in the second half and win by 2-4.

If we dont, Davy should walk although, there isnt a hope that will happen.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 06/07/2016 09:21:43    1877125

Link

Great win for the intermediates. Showed real metal when needed.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/07/2016 08:49:18    1877706

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "There isnt a hope Clare will win by 10. It will be tight but I expect us to kick on in the second half and win by 2-4.

If we dont, Davy should walk although, there isnt a hope that will happen."
getting back to the injuries on the Clare team this season..
one has to ask themselves, just why is the sheer extent of injured players so great.. its abnormal
every team has to deal with this problem [its part and parcel of inter county hurling] but this year in particular its seems to be at crisis levels with this Clare panel

what kind of training regime are these players being subjected to? something has to be seriously questioned in this area

purplehaze (Waterford) - Posts: 11 - 07/07/2016 09:16:07    1877715

Link

Well if you look at the 3 current absentees individually its difficult to nail down a common theme/cause.
Pa kelly twister his ankle, that can very easily happen, conor ryan has a hormonal disorder which is a different thing altogether but i doubt training has anything to do with that. Mcgraths hip injury is the concerning one because a lot of gaa players have had hip trouble over the last couple of years, so maybe thats one for the gaa as a whole to look into.. Cunninghams previous hamstring injury was a recurrence of an old injury. 3 achilles injuries this year maybe also a concern though and something that should be monitored closely. Mcinenrey issue with his back this year is an isolated one i would think.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 07/07/2016 10:52:35    1877753

Link

Replying To purplehaze:  "getting back to the injuries on the Clare team this season..
one has to ask themselves, just why is the sheer extent of injured players so great.. its abnormal
every team has to deal with this problem [its part and parcel of inter county hurling
but this year in particular its seems to be at crisis levels with this Clare panel

what kind of training regime are these players being subjected to? something has to be seriously questioned in this area"]I dont think there is anything in it other than luck. Since Davy has taken over we have never had such a plague of injuries and I dont think training methods or anything like that have changed much since 2012.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/07/2016 11:11:03    1877768

Link

Interesting fact on this weekends game from the indo:

"Remarkably, the counties have won every second game in 11 Championship meetings over the last 25 years.
It began in 1991 when Limerick won a Munster first round, followed by a Clare success in 1993.

And so it has gone in alternate meetings since then, with Limerick winning in 1994, '96, '07, '12 and '15, while Clare were successful in '95, '06, '08 and '13.
The highly unusual sequence is a good omen for Clare as if the pattern continues, they will be joining Cork or Wexford in the draw for the All-Ireland quarter-finals on July 24."

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/07/2016 11:34:52    1877784

Link

Interesting fact lets hope it continues!!

I presume we can say with a degree of certainty that we will go with the same team again. Couple of points i want to make, with this setup anyway it leaves us with 2 inside in the full forward line all the time. Which is a big step forward from our lone forward plan. O'donnell and shanagher will stay inside all the time as that is where they are at their best, we might occasionally see conlon go inside which i would like to see as he was very effective in there before he got injured. The 2 lads inside as well are very direct and the first thing on their minds when they get the ball is scoring goals!
With 7 defenders named mcinerney will obviousy be sweeper. But the last day against laois, he didnt play solely as a sweeper but came forward as well on a number of occasions. Now i know it was a poor oposition and at times we had 2 sweepers but before laois got the red card he was coming forward a little more. Maybe it was an attempt by management to evolve the sweeper system a little to give a little more of an attacking threat as well as the extra defensive resolve. We are lucky in that we have mcinerney in the position as he has every skill required and as a former forward he is well able to score when given the opportunity.
An advantage we have is that limerick have not really shown the tactical awareness in recent times to know how to best use their extra man.

Another point i want to make is about our puckouts. Throughout the league we had cleary and fitzgerald pushing well up the field to contest our puckouts on either wing which worked resonably well. The difference now is that fitzgerald likely wont be playing and conlon will more than likely be in the half forward line. So i would expect on our puckouts cleary will leave his central position and push up on the opposite wing to conlon so that we will have 2 strong options under puckouts. Reidy will drop back to cover the space and then we will have our free man at the back as well. So it should give us much more options on our own puckouts and it shouldnt be such a problem area as it was against waterford.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 08/07/2016 09:31:25    1878311

Link

UP THE BANNER

Time to put up or shut up. We need a performance and a win. Nothing else will do.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 09/07/2016 11:14:27    1878796

Link

2 truly awful teams. How have we both gone back so much. Producing quality underage teams and yet we have that rubbish on show at senior level.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 09/07/2016 21:12:31    1879446

Link

Just about did enough, we made really hard work of it. We only really played well for the second quarter of the game outscoring limerick 9-0 in that period of the game. Just about tagged on enough points early in the second half to get us over the line. The amount of wides though was a huge negative again, our shooting has to improve. I think as it stands we are fourth best in the country. We'll be playing tipp or galway next - personally i wouldnt fancy meeting tipp yet, so hopefully tipp win tomorrow. Created only 1 or 2 goal chances which is a worry. But we need to improve again going forward. Getting the win though and making the quarter final is the most important thing right now - so hopefully from here on we'll start playing better hurling.
Feel for tj ryan who will now leave limerick, he seems like a really good genuine hurling man but just wasnt up to it...

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 09/07/2016 21:58:04    1879542

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Just about did enough, we made really hard work of it. We only really played well for the second quarter of the game outscoring limerick 9-0 in that period of the game. Just about tagged on enough points early in the second half to get us over the line. The amount of wides though was a huge negative again, our shooting has to improve. I think as it stands we are fourth best in the country. We'll be playing tipp or galway next - personally i wouldnt fancy meeting tipp yet, so hopefully tipp win tomorrow. Created only 1 or 2 goal chances which is a worry. But we need to improve again going forward. Getting the win though and making the quarter final is the most important thing right now - so hopefully from here on we'll start playing better hurling.
Feel for tj ryan who will now leave limerick, he seems like a really good genuine hurling man but just wasnt up to it..."
2 truly awful teams. How have we both gone back so much. Producing quality underage teams and yet we have that rubbish on show at senior level.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts:1569 - 09/07/2016 21:12:31 1879

yes I agree,
that was a dire game of hurling, this years hurling championship has been a complete borefest, its no wonder these matches are played in near empty stadiums
under 21 inter county hurling is the only code worth watching

purplehaze (Waterford) - Posts: 11 - 09/07/2016 22:16:11    1879582

Link

Don't underestimate the value of this win for Clare - they were for the most poor, only saved by the fact that they were playing against a very poor Limerick - but this is the first win of any real significance since 2013.
For whatever reason, Clare seem to lack confidence - maybe tonight will help them, I think it will! They can only improve, its early July - one big win in a couple of weeks and its Corker and we'll see a different Banner.
Good to see SOD getting on the scoreboard - Clare need a sharp Conor McGrath if they are to push for glory. Galvin needs to figure out where the goal posts are also.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 09/07/2016 22:36:20    1879620

Link

Replying To mike03:  "2 truly awful teams. How have we both gone back so much. Producing quality underage teams and yet we have that rubbish on show at senior level."
Hahaha.

Enjoy 1B next year. Fans like you give supporters a bad name.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 10/07/2016 10:36:36    1879855

Link