Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Whats the story on the injury front? O'Brien, Ryan, Flanagan

I presume Conlon, Morey, Cunningham and McInerney are making progress towards full fitness

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1038 - 28/06/2016 21:37:39    1873559

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Whats the story on the injury front? O'Brien, Ryan, Flanagan

I presume Conlon, Morey, Cunningham and McInerney are making progress towards full fitness"
To the best of my knowledge, Morey is not currently injured. He is just not being picked. For me, he should be an automatic choice, and should have been for a long time now. McInerney and Ryan will certainly make a difference when they come fully back but the system the team is playing under is a shambles, especially from a defensive perspective.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 29/06/2016 10:15:43    1873664

Link

Pa Kelly and Conor McGrath are struggling to be fit

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 29/06/2016 12:42:59    1873764

Link

Is John Conlon fit? McGrath will be a loss if injured.

Hard to know what Clare are going to do. I feel like they were building up to a Munster campaign that never happened.

kevdog (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 29/06/2016 13:55:51    1873818

Link

Clare will hit a crossroad in the quarter final. I expect them to overcome the next 2 games.

The quarter final will present them with the opposition of Kilkenny, Galway or Tipp. For me, its a must win game for this team. Forgetting about 2013 - this bunch of lads have been extremely poor in Championship under Davy - having only beaten Offaly and Dublin (both in Ennis). If there's any substance in them they need to make it known at this juncture - if they do, we could be looking at another All-Ireland victory!

But as much as I would love to see them do it, my confidence weens every time I watch them in the heat of Championship.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1038 - 29/06/2016 16:48:36    1873919

Link

Pa Kelly and Morey both out injured...

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 29/06/2016 23:16:43    1874077

Link

From what ive heard, pa kelly and conor mcgrath are out injured and david mcinerney and conor ryan are not fit to start..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 01/07/2016 08:52:59    1874518

Link

comfortable victory as expected, although probably more comfortable than we would have thought. good too rack up a good score and get a championship win under the belt regardless. big plus for the day was aron shanagher, he was very impressive, he is well able to catch the ball in the air which is exactly the type of player we've been looking for. he had some excellent catches and is a real danger inside in the full forward line. when he gets the ball he is so direct as he heads for goal and that is great to see. a real addition to our forward line and allows conlon to stay on the wing - or at least adds much variation to the attack.

presuming pa kelly and conor mcgrath are fit next week then both will return to the team. fahy did nothing wrong - although he wasnt even tested - but kelly will come back in anyway.. its going to be very interesting to see who mcgrath comes in for! shanagher cant be dropped after that performance. i think shane o'donnell might be the player to lose out. i have defended him here on several occasions but i think right now shanagher offers us a little bit more. o'donnell did get a goal yesterday albeit a tap in over the line for very close range! and he also got a couple of nice points so good to see him back scoring. but he did did miss two goal chances that he should have put away and that might be his downfall!!

also it was interesting to note that honan or cunningham didnt play at all yesterday, 2 players who have been very much in favour all year - im not too surprised though because honan has been poor overall and cunningham only really produced one quality half of hurling throughout all his appearances.

i wouldnt fancy cork in the draw, although i think we are better than them, we have found it difficult to overcome them in the last couple of years in championship games.
wexford is obviously the most favourable draw, although they have put it up to us and beat us in recent years. bringing us to extra time in 2013, and then drawing and beating us in 2014.
maybe we'd be better off getting our neighbours limerick, its the one i want anyway! and we certainly owe them one for last years first round championship defeat.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 03/07/2016 11:17:43    1875318

Link

Laois are miles off the standard and I would not read anything into that game yesterday - it was really no help to us at all.

Conor Mc could be out for 6-8 weeks apparently.

Same team the next day I would think

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 03/07/2016 14:07:43    1875385

Link

When is the draw for the next round by the way? Monday?

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 03/07/2016 14:08:54    1875386

Link

So we got limerick in the draw! I said yesterday its the draw i wanted and as i said we owe them one for the first round defeat last year. Bring it on!! I just hope we have mcgrath and kelly back, we've had terrible luck with injuries and we need everyone to have the best possible chance.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 04/07/2016 08:57:18    1875811

Link

IMO if we lose this game, Davy must walk as this is like catching Limerick at one of their lowest points - confidence wise.

I think we not only need to win but put down a marker if we have any hopes of AI glory.

I think we will see the same team start again.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 04/07/2016 09:36:02    1875835

Link

I am a bit disappointed that we diden't get Cork but Limerick will provide a huge test for Clare forget Saturdays match it was a total mis-match only positive was the performance of Aron Shanagher it was ime for the management to realise that we needed a big man to win high balls

I thought that Brendan Bugler struggled and was not in the game Oisin O Brien i would really worry about too but its good to see Seanha Morey back

Paul Flanagan Gearoid Condidine and both the Duggans must be wondering what they did wrong as they are getting no game time couldent see the point of bringing on Colin Ryan we know he can do it and Shane Golden ??

We should beat Limerick but it will be huge battle

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 04/07/2016 11:04:23    1875905

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "IMO if we lose this game, Davy must walk as this is like catching Limerick at one of their lowest points - confidence wise.

I think we not only need to win but put down a marker if we have any hopes of AI glory.

I think we will see the same team start again."
No way should Davy walk, He has delivered,, brilliant manager stands up to players who try to run the show, Davy is the Boss,,, Limerick at a low point , after winning the u21 and All-Ireland club ?.. dont think so,,, Minors in the munster final as well,,,,,Limerick on a high Davy on a high , super game of hurling in store,,....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 04/07/2016 11:08:50    1875909

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "No way should Davy walk, He has delivered,, brilliant manager stands up to players who try to run the show, Davy is the Boss,,, Limerick at a low point , after winning the u21 and All-Ireland club ?.. dont think so,,, Minors in the munster final as well,,,,,Limerick on a high Davy on a high , super game of hurling in store,,...."
So much in your comment makes so little sense.

Any Limerick fan will tell you the senior team are devoid of confidence at the moment and have little faith in management.

Since winning the All Ireland in 2013, Clare have won 2 championship games - Offaly and Laois.

If they dont win next weekend, yes he should walk based on those facts alone.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 04/07/2016 11:45:05    1875939

Link

While I understand where your coming from and agree about how poor limerick have been, I don't understand how you can say 'we should beat limerick'. We were bad against tipp but ye were worse against waterford who im confident will lose to tipp! And come on! This is limerick clare! Talent wise I believe we're on par give or take with neither team setting the world alight and generally playing below capabilities. My point is this is 50 50 full stop. And pleeeease do not harp back to the league as if it's somehow relevant to next Saturday, I beg you!

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 952 - 04/07/2016 14:08:03    1876077

Link

Clooney, i dont know why you would be worried about oisin o'brien, he has been excellent for us in each game he has played. He has been a real find and exactly what we were looking for as he is such a good man marker.
I think most of us have a good idea why the duggans were not used. Workrate being a big issue for both of them, peter seems a little lazy at times. While bobby didnt take his chance when he was usec in a couple of league games.. Both have the talent but just have to get it right from s mental point of view..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 04/07/2016 14:43:38    1876112

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "While I understand where your coming from and agree about how poor limerick have been, I don't understand how you can say 'we should beat limerick'. We were bad against tipp but ye were worse against waterford who im confident will lose to tipp! And come on! This is limerick clare! Talent wise I believe we're on par give or take with neither team setting the world alight and generally playing below capabilities. My point is this is 50 50 full stop. And pleeeease do not harp back to the league as if it's somehow relevant to next Saturday, I beg you!"
Some good points but the simple fact is talent wise u believe we have the superior players - and on that basis in addition to our form this year should win the game! Forget he league but this team has played 15 senior games his year and won 14. We have better forwards than Limerick and Limerick have been all over the shop this year truthfully.

Of course it is possible that Limerick could win but I just don't see it - only my opinion.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 04/07/2016 14:46:34    1876116

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Some good points but the simple fact is talent wise u believe we have the superior players - and on that basis in addition to our form this year should win the game! Forget he league but this team has played 15 senior games his year and won 14. We have better forwards than Limerick and Limerick have been all over the shop this year truthfully.

Of course it is possible that Limerick could win but I just don't see it - only my opinion."
Meant I believe

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 04/07/2016 15:00:26    1876124

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Meant I believe"
Defeat for Clare this weekend is simply not an option - I expect a big performance, a marker and a big momentum builder going into the quarter final.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1038 - 04/07/2016 16:40:41    1876225

Link