Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

it took Kelly about 12 weeks to get fit from injury so not sure how conlon could do it, although the need for him is more pressing than for kelly as we could afford to be without him in early part of the league.

aaron didnt play well v tipp or waterford the firs day but he scored a point and made a good assist for kellys goal and his workrate was far better than usual, he has a lot to offer, but maybe more from the bench when games are stretched. I think Duggan will start at half forward now on June 5th as our options there are limited.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 18/05/2016 10:43:50    1855890

Link

if oisin o brien has recovered he will definitely start,whether he man marks Gleeson or curran.i don,t expect the game to be as open as the league replay unless one of the teams score an early goa lor two.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 23/05/2016 16:29:44    1857834

Link

So the gaa authorities were disappoInted very m uch with the turnout at the CLARE WATERFORD REPLAY.Living in their ivory towers they must be completely unaware of the cost the hardworking family must face in their daily living.For some it is a real sacrifice to face all the expenses, admission, travel meals for the day.When they conntrast that with being able to enjoy the game at home it is often no contest Mavbe the rules should be revised.i would suggest a maximum admission charge of twenty euro, and free admission to these eighteen and undrer.Withe these changes you could well see full attendance, i the take much the sams in receipts and finally a happy clientele

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 23/05/2016 16:39:15    1857843

Link

Some crazy injury updates today! Oisin o'briens injury sounds like it was a real comcern for all involved. Great to see he has since returned to training this week, but is very unlikely to start. Another strange issue then for conor ryan rules him out, although it is a more common occurance than people may think. Great to see john conlon returning to modified training, although wouldnt put him on the bench unless hes 100%. David mcinerney hasnt officially been ruled out but its unlikely he will play anyway. Aaron cunninghams injury is a big blow to the lad just when he was getting a runof games.
We've been very unlucky with injuries this year i just hope it all clears up now and that we'll have a fully fit panel for a potential munster final if we can overcome waterford. Which i believe - despite the injuries that we can do it!!
My team would be;
1Kelly
2Browne
3O'Connor
4Dillon
5Cleary
6Bugler
7Fitzgerald
8Reidy
9Galvin
10Ryan
11Kelly
12Podge
13Honan
14O'Donnell
15McGrath
I wouldnt be surprised to see tots or shanagher start though, because ryan, honan and o'donnell wouldnt be assured of their places..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 27/05/2016 09:53:29    1859208

Link

Our panel strength will really be tested now.

Conor Ryan and David Mc out are very big losses in the backs as are Conlon and Cunningham. Arguably if all were fit they would all start.

I am not sure if Colin Ryan offers us enough from general play to warrant a start. Davy could pull a surprise and maybe start Bobby Duggan but I think that Shanagher will start instead of O Donnell

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 30/05/2016 09:06:14    1859852

Link

I think that shanagher would be a better option to bring in than colin but i think we have to start honan inside because he did absolutely nothing the last day until he went in the corner. Thats why i went with colin. I think the choice that davy will have will be 2 of 3 to start inside. Those 3 being honan, o'donnell and shanagher. I dont think bobby did enough in any game up to now to warrant a start, his work rate is also questionable. If o'donnell does start then the players out the field need to seriously improve the service into him because the last day we dropped countless balls straight into de burcas hand. Very frustrating to watch. O donnell needs low ball into space where he can run onto it and bring others into the game.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 30/05/2016 09:41:05    1859860

Link

i think bobby will play a part from the bench, he is a good striker of the ball and when the game opens up he is a good weapon as he is quiet accurate. I think the curve ball maybe galvin to centre forward as a playmaker with kelly drifting into midfield, he will be marked tightly now and harder to do so out there, plus he can score from basically anywhere so wont lose much from forwards. Galvin struggled a bit in 2 leagues finals but is a masterful player and can move around that middle third so well. Podge will also float out there too.

Colin Ryan for me will start, he is a good worker, tidy in distribution, links play well, gets a score and also a great free taking option, i think SOD may lose out and either peter duggan or shanagher may start in half forwards to win ball. i also think honan will play nearer goals and clare will push up hard on waterford and perhaps go as man to man as possible, clare have betters hurlers and will hope to use their skills to counteract the Deise power and organisation.

for me, based on all available info i would say it will be:

kelly

browne,
dillon
poc

bugs
cleary
fitzgerald

kelly
reidy

podge

p duggan (if fit)
galvin
colin ryan

honan
mcgrath

even with our injuries we have Bobby, SOD, Shanager, Morey, Flanaga to all come on and maybe Conlon too.

i think it will actually be a lot more open than people think and waterford will have their own tactics we may need to contend with. should be a cracking contest

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 30/05/2016 11:44:18    1859900

Link

Rumors abound that Conlon will start.

I hope he is 100% ready if this is true and I would rather we didn't risk losing him for the rest of the year than playing him too early. Davy knows best. Will be interesting to see and if he starts we will be much stronger for it.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 31/05/2016 08:36:30    1860170

Link

Really need to win on Sunday and get to Munster Final wont be easy but we have better panel real shame about the injuries to players Paul Flanagan struggling too I believe open game suits us always so hope that this is in management minds not to be drawn into too tactical game

I really hope that we have a better plan that this Shane O Donnell plan has never worked bar the two days last year v Kilkenny

Hon The Banner

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 01/06/2016 12:55:20    1860496

Link

Apparently conlon played in an in house challenge game last weekend. So it is very likely he will start. We all know he wont be played if hes not right. So he would be a massive addition to the team. He is possibly the best forward in the country under the high ball and having him at full forward gives us a real option inside there.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 04/06/2016 10:16:48    1861422

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Apparently conlon played in an in house challenge game last weekend. So it is very likely he will start. We all know he wont be played if hes not right. So he would be a massive addition to the team. He is possibly the best forward in the country under the high ball and having him at full forward gives us a real option inside there."
Massive game of hurling,,, Waterford hit hard very hard,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/06/2016 18:04:06    1861859

Link

Disappointing but, sadly, not such a big surprise. While it releases the pressure valve a little, this group is unlikely to springboard until there is a significant change of tactics (which is hard to see happening under Fitzgerald). A settled and confident half-back line is crucial - for me, Davy Mac, Conor Ryan and Seadna Morey (can anybody tell me when he ever had a bad game for Clare? - for whatever reason, he is being seriously blackguarded). Fitzgerald (the player) should be worth a try in the half-forward line. Tots seems to have come of age, but there are so many options on the bench. Whatever happens now, it has been a satisfactory season. The system, however, severely restricts this very talented bunch of players. Attack is the best form of defence.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 05/06/2016 18:26:37    1861867

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "Disappointing but, sadly, not such a big surprise. While it releases the pressure valve a little, this group is unlikely to springboard until there is a significant change of tactics (which is hard to see happening under Fitzgerald). A settled and confident half-back line is crucial - for me, Davy Mac, Conor Ryan and Seadna Morey (can anybody tell me when he ever had a bad game for Clare? - for whatever reason, he is being seriously blackguarded). Fitzgerald (the player) should be worth a try in the half-forward line. Tots seems to have come of age, but there are so many options on the bench. Whatever happens now, it has been a satisfactory season. The system, however, severely restricts this very talented bunch of players. Attack is the best form of defence."
why is Davy trying to beat Waterford at Waterford's own game? Waterford better team in both league final matches + Clare got the rub of the green, as acknowledge by the vast majority of hurling supports/panelists/journalists nationwide

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 05/06/2016 18:35:34    1861871

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "why is Davy trying to beat Waterford at Waterford's own game? Waterford better team in both league final matches + Clare got the rub of the green, as acknowledge by the vast majority of hurling supports/panelists/journalists nationwide"
You will have to ask the man himself that, Judge. Enjoy your fully-deserved win today and best of luck in the final. Regarding the league final, you didn't close it out and Clare did what was required.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 05/06/2016 18:54:04    1861882

Link

Really disappointing performance, well beaten by a better team on the day.
We missed so many chances up front it really killed us.
A couple of mistakes we severly punished, we had it back to 4 points. And a miss hit sideline ended up with a waterford sideline which the brilliant gleeson scored and there was no coming back after that.
Too many of our nig players were well below par. Kelly, mcgrath and galvin - being the biggest disappointments.
Honan doenst offee is enough, or anything for that matter. He should ny be in the team - when this system is being ised anyway..
The positioning of kelly was borderline farcical - he spent most of the game i his own half backline.
Overall a disaster which will take a lot of soul searching to come back from..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 05/06/2016 20:06:32    1861929

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Really disappointing performance, well beaten by a better team on the day.
We missed so many chances up front it really killed us.
A couple of mistakes we severly punished, we had it back to 4 points. And a miss hit sideline ended up with a waterford sideline which the brilliant gleeson scored and there was no coming back after that.
Too many of our nig players were well below par. Kelly, mcgrath and galvin - being the biggest disappointments.
Honan doenst offee is enough, or anything for that matter. He should ny be in the team - when this system is being ised anyway..
The positioning of kelly was borderline farcical - he spent most of the game i his own half backline.
Overall a disaster which will take a lot of soul searching to come back from.."
Fair play for an honest appraisal expert. I didnt think Clare would win but I did think it would be a lot closer. As I have been saying for a while Clare dont have enough quality players. However with the arrival of Reidy and and the return to some kind of form of Bugler things have improved on last year. We all knew Honan doesnt offer a lot especially as a half forward. Still only one ball winning half forward for 3 years in a row now and he spends most of his time at 14 these days. Still an average keeper (improving a little to be fair) an average back line where only Dillion O Connor and Bugler are close to a good inter county standard. The return of McInerney will help. Pure and simple like most smaller counties Clare just dont have enough quality players. All is not lost indeed this could be the kick in the butt Clare need a dose of reality was probably needed.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 05/06/2016 20:43:05    1861961

Link

i thought some changes made by davy today were farcical.how were o donnell and mc grath not replaced earlier?if mc inerney was fit,why wasn,t he started?don,t think conlan was fully fit either.podge had scored 2 great points and i felt honan was doing alright compare to some of the bigger names.the year isn,t over for clare and i,d say the majority of teams want to avoid ye in the back door.when is that draw to be made?

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 05/06/2016 20:51:41    1861969

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "i thought some changes made by davy today were farcical.how were o donnell and mc grath not replaced earlier?if mc inerney was fit,why wasn,t he started?don,t think conlan was fully fit either.podge had scored 2 great points and i felt honan was doing alright compare to some of the bigger names.the year isn,t over for clare and i,d say the majority of teams want to avoid ye in the back door.when is that draw to be made?"
Put Bugler on the 40 and see what happens,,,, Kelly and Galvin midfield, Honan full foward,,,...

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 06/06/2016 00:33:06    1862028

Link

Replying To disillusiondfan:  "Fair play for an honest appraisal expert. I didnt think Clare would win but I did think it would be a lot closer. As I have been saying for a while Clare dont have enough quality players. However with the arrival of Reidy and and the return to some kind of form of Bugler things have improved on last year. We all knew Honan doesnt offer a lot especially as a half forward. Still only one ball winning half forward for 3 years in a row now and he spends most of his time at 14 these days. Still an average keeper (improving a little to be fair) an average back line where only Dillion O Connor and Bugler are close to a good inter county standard. The return of McInerney will help. Pure and simple like most smaller counties Clare just dont have enough quality players. All is not lost indeed this could be the kick in the butt Clare need a dose of reality was probably needed."
The way that I see it as an outsider is that I struggle to understand why the Clare system/tactics does not suit the better players. I think they are playing a game that suits Waterford. Clare need to figure out a system which allows them to get more productivity out of their better forwards.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 681 - 06/06/2016 13:08:13    1862182

Link

I think its a little unfair to say clare dont have enough quality players. Personally i lay the blame for yesterday with management.. They have to have a serious look at how they want to play the game. We have some of the very best players in the country.. Kelly, mcgrath, galvin, conlon, mcinerney, o'donnell are all genuine top class players. None of them played up to their potential yesterday. Waterford play a system that suts their players, we dont. The system takes away from our strengths, which is ridiculous. Its the first game we were beaten in this year but to be honest we know that we were poor against limerick, were lucky to beat tipp and we were arguably second best in the 2 league finals. Kilkenny game was the only game where we played well.
Despite all the negativity though i want to commend the performance of oisin o brien and david reidy. Two new players on the team this year and were excellent yesterday. Reidy has been a real find at midfield and o'brien is possibly the best man marker in the country! I dont see us going away from the sweeper but we need to evolve the system to get more out of out top class players.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 06/06/2016 13:35:53    1862207

Link