Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I dont think the gameplan suits honans talents particularly with the position/role he's being asked to play. I think shanagher and tots should definitely start. Colin ryan edges honan then for me based on last sunday. Just i add i thought o'donnell looked rusty when he came on and i dont think he's ready to start yet..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 04/05/2016 21:00:49    1852105

Link

Clooney.........I think the set up is more like 1,3,4,3,3,1 where your isolated forward is double marked and, in addition, he still has to contend with a sweeper - it's impossible to score except you get them from frees or from play (long range)

Reminds me of defensive chess where both players want to avoid loosing chess pieces, both players playing like this leads to prolonged stalemate with an out-of-control ending for both - lads, Clare could have lost last Sunday, McGrath's last second free salvaging extra-time, the strategic loading of the middle third with 10 players from each side is the prolonged stalemate that is a fine line to tread

Management have to come up with a new/modified strategy, perhaps as Eamon Cregan might say, a gamble........where for selected 10 minute slots they change their alignment, go 1,2,4,3,3,2, sacrifice the sweeper for an additional attacker, plunder a goal, change the psychology and force the opposition to chase the game - then hit them again on the counter attack - you see, when Clare send an extra man forward the opposition will do the opposite and send back a defender to mark-up..........probability is that Clare will not concede and more likely actually get a goal

also practice the fine art of getting men loose on the 65m line who can shoot long distance

am surprised Honan is not selected at 14

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 05/05/2016 11:12:11    1852211

Link

Davy in today's Examiner says expect more of the same he is reported as saying " if we play another way we don't have a chance" dosen't trust talent that's what it is.

its the words of a bluffer in my opinion this wonderful field game destroyed by tactical murder, Football went that way has recovered slightly but its so easy to go down a certain path and if its successfull provides a blueprint for others to follow from under age upwards. If Clare or Waterford don't land silverware this year both managers will come under the microscope.

Theirs is a not a game to enjoy, its a war of attrition propping up themselves I will travel on Sunday in the hope that players will be allowed to express themselves so its last chance saloon in following them under D Fitzgerald

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 05/05/2016 13:42:34    1852296

Link

I think the negativity here is getting a little out of control. Clare used the same system against kilkenny and it was also a fantastic attacking performance. Reason being kilkenny didnt have that defensive approach. It looks very bad obviously whwn clare and waterford meet as they both have a more conservative approach. Against any other team though we would be involved in a much better game of hurling..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 05/05/2016 16:23:52    1852380

Link

so same team named again, im a little disappointed that there hasnt been a couple of changes in the forward line - as there was some poor performances there last week. i hoped for 3 changes myself... suppose it gives the 15 that went out the last day a chance to prove that they are good enough to beat this waterford team. dont be surprised to see a late change though with shanagher maybe coming in!

waterford have made one change with devine coming in. he is a hard man to start when he gets going - more likely to be seen around midfield/half forward line though. in saying that i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt start as he was named to start in a few games last year only for maurice shanahan to get the start ahead of him come game time - so this could happen again.

mind games all over the place really, hard to second guess what managements are thinking. it a hard one to call. i think we have more scope for improvement performance wise though - although it may come down to who has improve their shooting the most since last week. a goal will be crucial so hopefully we'l get it. hoping for a win (obviously) and a better game of hurling - not too hopeful on that one though!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 07/05/2016 11:28:30    1852703

Link

expert I think we might all get a surprise today.replays usually take on a complete life of their own.i feel the hurling will be more open today and I won,t be surprised if its a win by 6 points or more for either team.i also think that each team will have two or three changes to the teams that are named.i will give the vote to clare just because I think they will score the goals needed.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 08/05/2016 11:08:49    1852919

Link

The timber wont be spared ,, expecting a ferocous hard game ,, could see Brick taking up Lofty, With Gleeson taking on Bugler,,, Bring it on,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 08/05/2016 12:21:16    1852942

Link

Good call CT.

It was a different animal today. Some battle in store in 3 weeks.

Up the Banner. League champs 2016

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 08/05/2016 17:22:09    1853051

Link

great heart to win, smash and grab but the winning of tight games is in the last few mins and we outscored them 4 to nil in that time. Yep Jamie Barron was fouled but that is karma - the free in the first game for maurice to level it was super soft plus he stole 10 yards before he hit it. These things balance themselves out and I am sure John Mullane will regret his petty rant on the radio yesterday.

June 12th will be a monster of a game now!

Kelly is different gravy lads, in clare we have produced great players but never really anyone in the wizardry/genius stile, like Cork/Tipp/KK and to be fair waterford have had in the past, but with this lad we may have one! I also thought Conor McGrath was outstanding in the first half too, but tired in the second, he works so hard and good to see other lads chip in when he was going well. Conor is a real leader and go to man.

The backs all had solid second halves, POC recovered well after probably his worst 35 mins for Clare ever. Reidy again was brilliant. Totally proved me wrong and has been in our top 3 players all league. Subs did well again and were used correctly. Also fair play to Jack Browne to come in at last minute and play well.

All that said we gave away 2 brutal goals and were outplayed for large parts of the game so plenty of work to do but the team spirit and confidence must be sky high now.

Hon the banner.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 09/05/2016 09:14:51    1853135

Link

POC had a poor game overall but put in a Monster performance in the first game. He is extremely consistent and just had a rare bad day at the office I doubt we will see again for a long while.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 09/05/2016 09:37:16    1853143

Link

Congratulations Clare

Much better game yesterday - don't want to say I told you so :)
WD committed more to attack from the start which Clare reacted well to it - TK is a superman

POC is a half-back, does not enjoy the corner, Galvin likewise wants to run into space as well as Paudge and Reidy - hopefully for them and Clare the game does not evolve as we saw in both drawn and replay games.

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 09/05/2016 09:53:02    1853150

Link

Much better game yesterday I think the small crowd down by 30% told its own story of the rubbish we saw from last week people voted with there feet.

Teal selection still baffles me Paul Flanagan had a good league campaign only for concussion would have lined out in both games but when Oisin O Brien got injured in warm up Jack Browne ( one of Davy's favourites) was started.

Neither of the Duggan's considered yesterday Honan got 2 points at finish but how himself and O Donnell were left on so long was amazing Cunningham was better when started at no 13

Tony Kelly is an superb hurler him & McGrath won it for us yesterday I was disappointed in David Fitzgerald he was reckless to say the least with his hurley on a number of times should at least have been booked

Conlon & McInerney badly needed for championship

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 09/05/2016 09:57:29    1853152

Link

Congrats. Great win yesterday. Pity there had to be a loser.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 09/05/2016 10:02:42    1853154

Link

Its great to see 2 young teams so evenly matched. Could be a great rivalary over the coming years. Its fantastic to get a national title in the bag anyway. Long overdue - with it being 38 years since the last 1.
Pat o'connor got caught for both goals, i thought he recovered really well after the second one and had a really strong game there after. He has been a revelation for use at full back - has really made the position his own. I have no doubt that he has everything for the position and will continue to prove it throughout the year.
Hopefully we'll have conlon and mcinerney back for the next day - cant overstate how important those 2 additions will be.. mcgrath kept us in the game in the first half scoring 8 points, wasnt as involved in the second half but it was time other forwards stepped up then anyway..
Again i was disappointed with honan and cunningham. I dont think they should start in the championship game.. Bar first half against kk i think aaron is a much better sub than starter..
Galvin had another poor (by his standards) performance. He can improve 60% for the next day.
I though podge had a great game, really showed his importance to the team - probably nailed on now for championship.
O'donnell got terrible ball into him - something we really need to work on. Himself and conlon inside is what i would like to see.
Tots is becoming a really good option off the bench for us very similar type player to podge..
And as for tony kelly, i dont think anyone is really that surprised!! Probably showed that hes the best player in the game, right up there with tj anyway. Whatever about the free but that winning point! 73rd minute running along the sideline to swing it over without hardly even looking at the posts off his so called weaker side! Incredible stuff!!
We're moving along nicely building momentum, with a full panel back it will be very hard to pick that team..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 09/05/2016 11:56:11    1853216

Link

hex i think both cunningham and honan finished well and worked very hard, maybe 1 of them wont start but cant see 2 of them. i really doubt Conlon will make it for June 5th so Cunningham aerial ability will probably give him the nod.

Tadhg De Burca cleaned up yesterday and we most try and stop him at source, i think clare will look to push up on wateford and you may see a more attack orientated approach, perhaps mcgrath and cunningham left inside with podge wandering all over the place....i think waterford corner backs foul a lot and if we can get running at them we could make hay, they did it to us yesterday so lets turn the tables. They are a very strong unit but maybe if they are isolated im not so sure they would be as effective.

there is probably 3 places up for grabs, 1 in defence, and 2 up front. Competition is good

The best move of the match yesterday came from clare but actually led to a kelly wide off a SOD pass. that type of quick cross field passing out of defence was a hallmark of the 21 sides and i think its something clare will use a lot more in June.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 09/05/2016 13:18:31    1853262

Link

clooney

I think the EUR25 ticket price has more to do with the lower attendance. It was a bit rich for the GAA to charge the same again for the replay

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 09/05/2016 13:43:15    1853279

Link

I thought Honan had a good second half and got a vital score for us from a very difficult angle with time almost up. That score set up the final florish.

Lads we cant be asking for chopping and changing every single time someone has a poor or average game. In an ideal world all our forwards would play great every game but if this was so we would be winning every game by 10 points. Cunningham proved his worth against KK. Honan has played well recently. Tony Kelly - no need to say anything. Podge has been great recently. McGrath is the best inside forward in Ireland but even he was off colour during the league at times. Conlon - excellant all league.

As for O Donnell - he had a thankless role yesterday and to excel needed to beat probably three men which is too hard a task. unfortunately the way we set up coupled with waterfords defensive system, will never suit a player like O donnell as he will always be double marked at least. Conlon can get away with this as he is as strong as any player out there and no one will out muscle him off the ball.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 09/05/2016 13:58:44    1853286

Link

GREAT WIN YESTERDAY.i thinkAllthings consider that sudden withdrawal o O BRIEN JUST before he start had an unsettling effect on the full back line,and could be somewhat responsible for those early goals.Waterford supporters blamed the referee for giving a free to CLARE at the end.They seemed to forget the number of controversial decisions that went their way. I recall two in particular which led to Waterford points.All things considered I felt Clare were a much superior team.After the game on tv Michael Lyster had an excellent program where he interviewed SHANE MCGRATH,CORK, and EDDI KEHER, KILKENNY.bOTHE WE EFFUSIVE IN THEIR PRAISE FOR THE CLARE CO CAPTAIN, KELLY.His equalising point from a free from a dificult angle was masterfuland then he had the gumption,to go out and recover the puck out and drive it overrfor the winning score was unbelievableTHE panel also were strong in rheir praise of darach Honan.His shoo ting over a point from an acute angle in the second minute of overtime which brought Clare within a point of he lead was especially critical,and his distribution of the ball especlally to kelly and ryan was given high marks.Now a retraction from HEXwho wrote opposing his inclusion in the team would be in order .Now with the probable return of MCINERNRY. O BRIEN AND CONLON to the panel we can look forward with confidence to June 5th.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 09/05/2016 19:10:23    1853404

Link

i think honan and cunningham gave us two quality moments each. honans 2 points, cunningham with one point and assist for the goal. i just think we have other players who can offer us more throughout the game. its not about chopping and changing this is the very elite level of this sport - it has to be ruthless. conlon if fit will come back in obviously. then i would have o'donnell in ahead of cunningham - others might disagree but thats what i think. colin ryan i think offers more to our style of play than honan, its a very tight call in my mind but ryans shooting ability, close control and use of the ball i think is better. a very important fact to not from yesterday is that honan only came alive when he went into the corner (was well out of the game in the first half). i would still have o'donnell ahead of him in the corner because of his greater burst of pace and more of a goal threat i think (particularly if hes in there with conlon)
davy mac will come in for one of the backs if hes fit for the waterford game. i think it may be jack browne - and davy to be the spare man then.
later in the year when we play a team that wont use a sweeper we will use an extra defender. so naturally a forward will lose out - this may be colin ryan from my reading of it. or honan if people think he will play instead of ryan.
id be interested to hear logical arguments in response. people saying players have to play without saying who they would leave out is a baseless argument.
just for clarity my team for the waterford game if mcinerney and conlon are fit would be;
1Kelly
2McInerney (browne or o'brien if davy not fit - browne was out of the picture but made up a lot of ground yesterday)
3O'Connor
4Dillon
5Cleary
6Bugler
7Fitzgerald
8Reidy
9Galvin
10Ryan
11Kelly
12Collins
13O'Donnell
14Conlon (honan if conlon not fit)
15McGrath

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 09/05/2016 21:09:48    1853444

Link

Hex - you have changed your tune on Reidy it seems.

bugler at center back has been tried several times and it does not work.... conlin ryan is a very good squad player but cant see him getting back into the starting team for the championship.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 10/05/2016 08:06:20    1853460

Link