Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Best of luck today to the boys. Very interesting match up and too hard to call. I hope both teams play to their potential and the ref has a fair game. Clare to sneak it by 2

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 01/05/2016 12:15:25    1851088

Link

Well done today lads. Would be sour grapes for a Clare man to say Conlon would have made a difference but as a Limerick man I think it's obvious. A lot of people knocking the style of hurling both teams play but I can't ever remember a game with better first touches or better ball control. Catching in particular was top notch. I suppose from a purists perspective I shouldn't admit to having enjoyed it but I did.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 01/05/2016 21:10:10    1851198

Link

The performance of both teams is going to be slated and rightly so. In many respects however it was a battle and a half. Id say there will be lots of sore bodies today.

Waterford play a super defensive style of containment while Clare play a short game with emphasis on space creation for their nippy forwards. That is the major difference between the teams IMO. While at face value people seem to think that they are playing the same game - that is not true.

Take Waterford yesterday for example, they were much more eager to shoot from range than put the ball into their full forward line. Clare are the opposite with the exception of Galvin and Kelly who are under instruction to shoot. In general however, Clare either look for the low ball to the corners or the high ball to the center of the square.

Waterford are extremely difficult to break down and it will do not harm to play them again to see this system up close. I think it is psychologically important to win this game next week.

On a separate matter and an observation, I think we saw the two fittest teams in hurling play yesterday.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 02/05/2016 08:53:29    1851209

Link

maybe you enjoyed it because you are not a purist? PUKE hurling - 20 players between the two sixty-fives - take away two keepers and that leaves eight to be accounted for - four at each end and that probably three defenders and one attacker, so Waterford and Clare change the way hurling is played to enhance their prospects - perhaps we can narrow the pitch too?

The skills that you describe are never needed as often when hurling is played as it should be - open / fast/ high-scoring - can other counties challenge this negative awful looking spectacle? same goes for gaelic football - if you can't beat them, join them - Donegal have much to answer for, so too Waterford and Clare!

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 02/05/2016 08:58:21    1851211

Link

At times it was dreadful to watch - but as the game went on it took on a life of its own and the closing stages of full and extra time were riveting.

Conor McGrath was a pure joy to watch - his ability to dink into space and take a score in such a tight game was excellent to watch. Bennetts point when he went past Galvin and around Bugler was also glorious.

I'm looking forward to the next day - I hope the play is more precise and maybe an early Clare goal or two might open it up a little. As Waterford showed yesterday for a period - they are well able to hurl when the game is open also. I cant really call who will win next Sunday but it feels like the Championship has started already

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1037 - 02/05/2016 13:00:25    1851297

Link

Touchofclass

Can I suggest, that you would not give two xxxxx how Galway play if it would win them an all Ireland. No team has a duty to hurling, but a duty to their county to win.

In saying that, this has all blown out over 2 game of hurling. Clare put up 4-22 against KK and are now being slated for ruining hurling? Get a life will ya.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 02/05/2016 14:50:45    1851336

Link

Meant 1 game of hurling not 2

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 02/05/2016 15:45:30    1851360

Link

it was at times a hugely frustrating game to watch, its worth pointing out firstly though that it was waterford that employed the actual sweeper system on sunday. clare had cian dillon loose because darragh fives was used as a sweeper at teh other end. thats not to say that clare didnt contribute to the "negative" tactics though. as most of the forward line were well out around the middle of the field.
the most disappointing thing for me was the performance of the forward line. only mcgrath played up to the required level. cunningham was as ineffective as we've come to expect (with the exception of 1 half against kilkenny), honan is not suited to this style of play as he has not got the shooting range to be playing out around the middle where he is being used. peter duggan blew his big opportunity and its hard to see him getting back into the team.
i would leave those 3 out the next day and bring in 3 of this 4 shane o'donnell, colin ryan, aron shanagher and tots o'connell who i was very impressed with his contribution when he came on and deserves to start now. cant really decide which one to leave out. id like to see shanagher get the nod for full forward anyway.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 03/05/2016 09:02:10    1851471

Link

In fairness to comments by touch of class it was a brutal tactical mess and most people at the match around me anyway were disgusted with paying paid €25.00 to watch the first half especially.

You have two managers who does not trust players it was different v Kilkenny because they went toe to toe with us and our skillfull hurlers has time & space it was only when players tired that we saw some decent hurling Waterford were better team and would have won if they have a freetaker on form.

John Conlon is massive loss no other forward has the strenght & guile to take his place Peter Duggan had a very disappointing outing but he is better than that but will struggle to start next day great for Aaron Shanagher who did well when he came on .

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 03/05/2016 09:08:29    1851473

Link

Think Clare will pick up a lot of injuries as the year goes on , taking the ball into tackles and being hit ferocous hard, Tony Kelly got massive root under the new stand and put out over the side line,,, those hits take a lot out of a player,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 03/05/2016 10:32:17    1851521

Link

Lohanshelmet..........no one is a stronger admirer of this current crop of Clare hurlers than I and have placed them as favorites to win McCarthy Cup this coming September but let's be fair, the style of play and tactic deployed by both sides is a new game, it is not hurling.

Clare, to be fair, are capable of playing high octane, skillful hurling as was evident in their U21 successes, in 2013 and probably for most of 2016 to date. Yet this type of hurling completely limits the skill sets of lads like Galvin, Duggan and Cunningham. I noticed some posters here going over the top that Peter Duggan's hurling future is questionable..........what a joke, it's impossible to shine when your only chance is a long-ball while being double marked, same goes for Collins and O'Donnell.

I am not sure how much I would enjoy a Galway team winning in such a profoundly defensive system, perhaps a little like fast-food, nice when consumed but you are hungry again in a short space of time and probably don't feel too good the next day.......a lot of belly ache in Waterford this week!

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 03/05/2016 11:11:40    1851537

Link

conlon is a massive loss, not only good in air but he knows what to do with it when he gets it! I would play colin ryan the next day, he is a tidy hurler and we need to move the ball around waterford. They had both their corner backs on yellows and we failed to exploit it.

Reidy, POC, Dillon, D Fitz, and obviously McGrath were the standouts, kelly n galvin did well in ET but a lot more needed, good to see Galvin hauled off when he was playing poor, sends out the right signals that you perform or you are off.

We have improved in many aspects our game fro last year, seeing TK winning a ball cleanly in the air was great to see and we met fire with fire. It wasnt pretty but it was a good slugfest. Let the KKs and Tipp snobs look down their noses at it but they couldnt beat either of the two teams when they had the chance.

Bennett is some hurler. Gleeson too although he let himself down throwing Podges hurley into the crowd, that was petty, flatten him or out play him but dont do that, but he is young and will learn.

my team for next week

kelly (dodgy again but also made good saves)

POC
Dillon ( will be spare man again)
O Brien

Bugler ( fading fast but doing a good job as a blocker n spolier)
Cleary (solid but will lose out to D Mac in summer i would imagine
d fitz (massive potential but needs to improve distribution)

Reidy n Galvin

TK
Podge
Duggan (his only position but he needs a massive game now)

Colin Ryan - let him roam around - he is a good hurler and has a good workrate, we need a bit more precision

Cunnigham - needs to show now that KK wasnt a flash in the pan
McGrath - class act but let him near goals and use pace and footwork to really test deise corner backs.

shanager did well but i would keep him in reserve, Tots too, SOD still off form but a goal could be making of him, Honan had a shocker but he can still contribute. Jack Browne also is an option at wing back, made a good contribution when he came on. Morey also too so we have good depth but it think we need to be more open next day, the congested stuff really suits Waterford and they are really powerful and have some serious hurlers.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 03/05/2016 15:54:18    1851681

Link

TouchofClass you make fair points but remember Waterford are hard to play against, Clare scored 4-22 v KK, but only musterED 15 pts v Waterford! ...KK only scored 14 against them, tipp 1-15 i think...they are a very hard team to play against and i think their goal is to grind the opposition into dust, its a tactic which drains players and if they dont win the big one this year i think they will have to abandon it, their players looked shattered after it, i think clare have more in the tank but Mac and Conlon out evens sit up again.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 03/05/2016 16:07:50    1851688

Link

well an absolutelty devastating blow to our team revealed in the media today. John conlon will be absent for between 7 and 12 weeks. we all saw how big a loss he was yesterday, he is so important to how we play the game and given the fact that others cant offer us what he can.. i have said it before and i'll say it again - he is our most important player.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 03/05/2016 16:15:44    1851696

Link

Good Post Clareman it would be a bit harsh on Paul Flanagan if he loses out next day was very consistent throughout the league I also think that Brendan Bugler is on the wane great battler though.

Clare have found a number of decent enough finds this year in the backs in Oisin O Brien David Fitzgerald & David Reidy & Conor Cleary and Tots is a great man to have to bring in also.

Colin Ryan is i a lovely hurler but he is poor in the air bringing down the sliother one handed with his hurley is giving a second or two to the defender its a pity but he will hardly change now, we have to plan without John Conlon and realistically Aaron Shanaher & Peter Duggan are our best options on the high ball unless David Fitzgerald could be tried there.
We have David McInerney John Conlon & Coror Ryan to return to team so they are serious men.

I don't like this plan of isolating Shane O Donnell up front at all i really don't think it has worked its very predictable especially with this sweeper system.

I watched this tactic of bringing the Half backs up for the puckout David Fitzgerald who is good on high ball made several runs but each time Pa Kelly pucked it to other side.

I hate this new game of 1,2,4,3,3,2 it is limited and will ultimately fail in my opinion

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 03/05/2016 17:30:44    1851728

Link

i forgot to mention it in my earlier posts, but i think conor cleary hasnt gotten enough credit on here for his performance on sunday. he had easily his best game for us. he is strong in the air, seems to read the game well and uses the ball better recently. picks up good defensive positions also - which maybe doesnt come as naturally to david fitzgerald. which is why i think when davy mac is back it would be worth trying david fitz in the half forward line.
just on paul flanagan - im not sure he has been as consistent as what has been mentioned. i think he was lucky to keep his place. o'brien has emerged as a really good option for us at corner back and looks like nailing the spot down. i would think morey would be ahead of flanagan in the pecking order as well.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 03/05/2016 18:06:20    1851744

Link

HEX I agree re Clearly and if you remember i did champion him last autumn as i think he is a natural defender and a stopper type centre back. He is not the most gifted hurler but he does a job.i just feel come summer that Davy Mac will have to start and bugler will be picked for his experience n hard to drop fitzgerald now so cleary may miss out. hope he proves me wrong. Either way he is developing nicely.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 03/05/2016 21:00:31    1851785

Link

Assuming davy mac is not fit, this is what i would go with for sunday;
1Kelly
2O'Brien
3O'Connor
4Dillon
5Cleary
6Bugler
7Fitzgerald
8Reidy
9Galvin
10Ryan
11Kelly
12Collins
13O'Connell
14Shanagher
15McGrath

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 04/05/2016 08:38:18    1851811

Link

hurlingexpert - I'm surprised you have omitted Honan as he's a player in form excluding last Sunday. He's probably one of many players who would be well motivated to make up for his performance.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1037 - 04/05/2016 12:24:48    1851907

Link

Ban, I would agree with you that HEX is making a mistake bu leaving out Darach Honan. Another player i think should start is Morey.Also a huge talent.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 04/05/2016 17:25:27    1852026

Link