Clare Forum

Under 21 / Minor 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

going on what people have said, it sounds like a poor championship so far but its early stages. i think over the last 7/8 years we have been blessed with some serious talented sides around the country and maybe now we due a couple of fallow years....?

one thing i noticed from the various match reports was that clare got cleaned out in the air bar Shanagher. this happens far too much for me, even our super u21s team relied a lot on 2/3 ball winners. We need to improve this part of our game. KK Tipp and Waterford and lessor extent Galway have been most impressive in championship thus far and all destroyed the opposition in the air.

I have never seen this Shanagher lad play i think (maybe with tones once but didnt know his name) im looking forward to going see him play in club championship, we him now as we need more strong lads who can hurl n win ball, thats why i hold out so much hope for Jamie Shanahan n Daire Keane to get fit and stay fit!

anyways, i went a bit off tangent but you get my drift....!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 29/06/2015 10:25:42    1744404

Link

Youve hit the nail on the head. We are very poor in the air overall. Even our good teams were decidedly average at catching. The thing is they arent great at breaking ball either. Its a coaching thing. Every so often it comes up but its never really tackled
Regarding this years minors. Well they were badly coached. That was obvious from the game. We seem to go through fallow years of bad coaches getting gigs

BanTarleton (Clare) - Posts: 181 - 29/06/2015 13:21:47    1744620

Link

in 2013 Ban we were great at winning the breaking ball, likes of colin ryan n kelly were playing the ball down from the sky ala KK and we destoyed teams with our work rate in middle third and ground game, since then we have lost that. i thought the work ethic was coming back towards end of league n v limerick, but still we are lacking physically in some areas.

Booby Duggan played for u21s lately, that to me would suggest he is not in Fitzys first 15 plans for this year. Maybe that is right as he is very young n has 2 years left at 21s, but i think he is super prospect and think if a game opens up his striking is top class n could really hurt teams, right now we have lost time ability to score from long range bar kelly

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 29/06/2015 15:55:17    1744802

Link

looking forward to tomorrows game, going in hope more than expectation though. probably our weakest under 21 team since 2007 i would think. and we are facing one of the strongest teams that i have seen at this level.
jamie shanahan missing through injury is a massive blow, poor jamie has had numerous injury problems in the past 4 years. but for those injuries i think he would be a senior starter for us now. he is so talented he played 3 years minor, first year in the forwards, second year at center back and the third year at midfield. he player wing back under 21 last year but i think he is most at home at wing forward.
surprised michael o'malley has been left out as he is one of only a handful of senior panelists we have this year and i thought he seemed to do well in the intermediate game against limerick. thought he would have gotten in the half forward line, with galvin moving into the corner instead of taylor. some good hurlers in that team but its just a pity we couldnt have gotten an easier game first like against cork before we had to face waterford - who i might add are my favourites to win the under 21 all ireland. although munster will be tough as tipp look good with have 5 senior lads i think while limerick are not bad either.
waterford should win i just hope our lads give it their best shot. with o'donnell and bobby duggan in the forwards we will cause them problems, i would expect a sweeper in front of shane though as they will know his threat. looking forward to seeing cleary at center back as well - hoping he has a big game.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 14/07/2015 18:20:43    1753421

Link

fair play lads great win....how davy left conor cleary and bobby duggan off the senior team is beyond me.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 846 - 15/07/2015 20:55:47    1754039

Link

Absolutely huge achievement to make 4 Munster U 21 finals in a row. Particularly significant given that Waterford are such a strong team. Hope to see ye in final.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 15/07/2015 21:03:05    1754041

Link

huge congrats on that win.ye may not have the stars of last few years but by god do the whole 15 work hard.hugely impressed with the half back line.cleary definitely has the makings of a very strong senior centre back.think bobby duggan really proved tonight how wrong davy was,but I think he,s doing this for last two years.thouht galvin aswell really played very well.here,s hoping we can cause another shock and meet ye in the final.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 15/07/2015 21:19:23    1754050

Link

Great to see hurlers in the Clare jersey playing with passion again

Super win - manager gave a great interview after.

It was a pure joy watching young Duggan this evening - once again the under 21 hurling Championship comes up trumps

Hard luck to a very good Wateford team - they have some lovely hurlers but this evening meet a team who wouldn't accept defeat.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1055 - 15/07/2015 21:23:17    1754052

Link

Many congratulations to Donal Moloney and the Clare U 21s what a performance from such a young & untried panel of players the freedom to hurl, work rate, creation of space, took hard knock gave away very few frees team work you name it.

Bobby Duggan Ian Galvin and Conor Cleary and McGuane superb but all played their part.

If you were a stranger there last night and you were told that Bobby was not good enough to get 15 minutes last Saturday you might think that Clare seniors were an awesome team that such a talented player could not get on the team.

We diden't need to see the proof of a proper manager at work, but it was evident in spades there last night, a manager who can get the very best out of players.

Well done DONAL MOLONEY

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 16/07/2015 09:19:03    1754080

Link

Super win, well deserved, very strong 2nd half, Duggan, Galvin, CLeary, McGuane, Fitzferald all very good. great team effort.

that for me was one of our very best ever underage wins, waterford had 5/6 seniors, real top class hurlers, big strong lads too and we stood up to them. Donal maloney has had great wins between 2010-14 with a super bunch of hurlers - this outfit not as star studded so to me its his best achievement, players seem to really like him too going on how they all embraced him afterwards.

Either Tipp or Limerick will be hard beat in the final but for me this side are in bonus territory already, i genuinely did not see that coming, and i dont buy the deise 'being tired' crap, plenty of u21 sides have won provincial and all irelands after senior success, it comes with being a top tier side. deal with it.

it is beyond belief that Duggan did not get more game time with seniors. if Kelly, Galvin, SOD, Morey, Macinenrey etc can all be thrown in at 19/20, why wasnt he given more championship time? esp as our half forward line is so weak right now?????

Patrick Curran is a super player and if waterford want to have areall crack at the AI (which i think they have a sneaky chance of) then he needs to paly up beside big Maurice. he is a super hurler

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 16/07/2015 09:47:39    1754095

Link

Really proud of the players last night, a brilliant courageous performance. Work rate was phenomenal all around the pitch and of course plenty of skill to go with that. Some of us have been saying here all year that duggan should be used at senior level, his striking/scoring taking off both sides from distance is top class, underage again next year as well! Nice to get the win when our star man o'donnell had a quiet game - shows that we can reach another level in the next game when he's flying again. Makes the achievement all the better when we did it without jamie shanahan who has been one of the top players in the country at this age group up all through the years. Michael o'malley must be injured seen as he saw no action.. Its a huge win, bigger then the all ireland wins the last 2 but we maybe expected that level in those 2 years. Arguably our biggest win at this level since the 2012 final

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 16/07/2015 12:46:20    1754245

Link

hex what did you make of cleary CB?.I thought he started slow but got into it, good in the air and good leader and defends a lot but his hurling still needs to improve, he is a good stopper centre back tho, maybe our seniors need that with 2 defensive players in midfield at 6 forwards then? i hate to sound like im bashing the senior set up but it was refreshing to see the team hurl with a good deal of freedom and abandon whilst still defending well. Donal Maloney is obviously a very astute coach.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 16/07/2015 14:09:37    1754337

Link

What a result. Absolutely great performance. They fought like demons and took their chances. We know how good Waterford are so that makes it even better. They played like they were having fun.
I hope Limerick beat Tipperary. The final would be on in Ennis and it would be a right clash of styles. The Limerick half back line are enormous men. Iv enough of Thurles for one year.

BanTarleton (Clare) - Posts: 181 - 16/07/2015 17:30:53    1754507

Link

ya clareman i was fairly impressed with cleary performance, he defended well in one on one situations - not easy to get past him. strong in the air as well. maybe needs to speed up[ his hurling a little and use the ball a bit better when he strikes it.
one player id like to single out for work rate is stephen ward, he was phenomenal he covered so much ground, won frees and won back possession in setting up scores. i thought we used the ball quiet well over all and more often than not tried to pass to as teammate in a better position..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 16/07/2015 19:09:01    1754568

Link

final now in ennis.should be a huge crowd and a cracking atmosphere.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 16/07/2015 21:58:58    1754670

Link

yes i think thr Limerick Half Backline/Clare HF Line is the winning and losing of it, we will need a lot more form SOD and rest of FF line too if we have any chance.

U21 hurling really is great to watch!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 17/07/2015 08:58:58    1754688

Link

We dont have as strong a bench as we have had in the last few years but i think michael o'malley should start the next day, if hes fit (i can only assume hes injured when he didnt feature against waterford) if we bring him in center forwad and let shane gleeson go into the corner i think it would work much better for us

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 17/07/2015 11:42:58    1754781

Link

any hope Jamie Shanahan will be in squad or is he still recovering from the Op? he is probably in top 3 players in clare at that age group

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 17/07/2015 11:51:42    1754791

Link

I havent really heard anything with regard to a time frame for him, as i said the other day clareman, i think he is one of the best players in the country at this age group!!

Anyone know if eoin tuohy or alex morey are involved in the panel? Neither were in the match day squad anyway, tuohy was very good minor in 13 and morey played minor in 12 and 13. Both i thought would have been close to making this team.

Whats great about this team is that of the starting 15, 9 or 10 are underage again next year!! Great to see..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 17/07/2015 12:16:15    1754809

Link

it looks promising for limerick too next year hexpert 2,3,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 all underage as well as sean finn who came on and colin ryan.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 846 - 17/07/2015 13:13:52    1754854

Link