Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

hookandblock

This not naming the team rubbish dates back to the Loughnane era.

It drives all Clare fans mad too. I havent a clue what he expects to achieve by it.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/07/2013 10:04:53    1425453

Link

That is some score you wracked up all right!! Looking forward to seeing highlights now. Were Laois awful or what's the story ??

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 07/07/2013 17:56:55    1425890

Link

I was at the game yesterday. Peter Duggan really is worth his place and Galvin was immaculate in the first period.. Yesterday Laois weren't at the races from the off and I'd expect Wexford to be much more physical.. Clare's soloing out of defence will just not be allowed against better teams. After watching Galway today you'd have to say Galway,Clare,Wexford and Waterford are all around the same level..no chance of All Ireland with the way they are playing right now.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1163 - 07/07/2013 18:19:06    1425917

Link

i dont really think there is any massive benefit of naming the team late, because whoever is playing the same system will be used, it would be different if there was going to be a variation of tactic based on individuals. delighted to see duggan playing so well, it was an ideal game for him to show how good he is in the air and in score taking, still unsure about his temperment and work rate but he definitely has the ability. his aerial prowess really takes the pressure off conlon and gives pa kelly more options. think we need to switch kelly and ryan to get kelly more into the game around midfield (as another poster poster in a separate forum).
i would agree that we need to start o'donnell for his goal treat because we need to score more goals if we are going to progress, undecided whether mcgrath or podge should be taken out as mcgrath has been poor for some time now.
laois were awful yesterday there only game plan was to land every puckout inside the clare 13 meter line. only winning about 2 of about 40 of them. they're forwards were terrible, with 4 of clares starting backs scoring from play and gathering possession with relative ease every time it came in.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 07/07/2013 18:22:27    1425924

Link

Duggan must definitely start on Saturday. It still baffles me how he was good enough to be 1st on against Waterford but not see any game time against Cork.
Himself & Conlon gives us real puckout options on the wings, and these type of players are vital when you see how Dublin used Keaney & Sutcliff to compete for high ball.

Would like to see O'Donnell starting also, but reckon McGrath should make way and not Collins.
McGrath has been poor in last 3 games (& missed most of league I think) whereas Collins was excellent against Cork and played quite well on Saturday. We can't keep rewarding poor form with a starting position, as we were cought out with this when Nicky O'Connell started against Cork. McGrath would be a useful sub to bring on later in game.

Not sure what to do with Tony Kelly/Colin Ryan. Ryan is not good enough for wing-forward as he doesn't win primary ball, but his free taking is vital. Am not sure about him at centre-forward as most teams have their best ball winning players at centre-back and he would struggle big time here. (i.e. how would he fair against Brick Walsh, Brian Hogan, Liam Rushe). If he is to play -midfield is the best option.
I would leave Kelly at centre-forward for next game. He was excellent during the league and in 1st game against Waterford. Was then cleaned out against Cork. Against Laois maybe the game passed him by in that Conlon & Duggan were dominating on the wings and we got a lot of scores from midfield area, and half-backs were able to deliver good ball into full forward line as they were under little pressure -so Kelly wasn't really used as a link man.
However he needs to up his game, and Davy needs to have a plan ready if he is struggling and not do what he did against Cork -which was nothing. If Kelly is struggling at centre-forward then swap him with Conlon/Duggan or bring on Fergal Lynch.

Should be a good game against Wexford and definitely one we can win. Wexford will see what Dublin have done and won't realy fear us. Plus they will be underdogs which every team wants to be. Cian Dillon is improving with each game so if we can avoid conceeding goals hopefully we can get through.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 08/07/2013 11:09:31    1426327

Link

Lads with all due respect paid to Wexford, i would be very disapointed if we failed to get past them.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 08/07/2013 12:10:47    1426400

Link

4 key points:
we need kelly playing at his best, so he shold be moved to midfield with galvin
we need to have duggan and conlon as the 2 wing forwards for their aerial ability
we need colin ryan to play for his free taking. so pick ryan at center forward and use him intelligently not landing high ball on top of him. keep the ball direct to full forward line or down the wings.
we need o'donnell to start for his goal treat, unsure whether he should replace podge or mcgrath, but im going to say podge because apart from the cork game podge is not really a consistent scorer, while mcgrath always poses a treat

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 08/07/2013 13:58:03    1426551

Link

I think they have a great chance of beating Wexford. Wexford just don't have the talent. I'd like to see McGrath dropped because he hasn't really delivered in two years.. Alot of showboating,very little finish. A spell on the touchlines might do him good. Colin Ryan has t done enough for me. He's a loose hurler, poor at winning his own ball. I'd try Aaron Cunningham centre and have Tony Kelly on the frees if he's up anywhere around 90percent hitting them in training..
Look in all likely hood they ll win easily. Fitzy will rabbit on how they were wrote off blah blah, the. They ll come against the likes of Kilkenny, limerick, Galway and be well beaten.. Our only goal threat is a skinny 19 yr old for god sake.. Honan continually fluffs his chances by blazing over.. McGrath doesn't even trouble the keeper. Growing up we were thought to hit the ball low, preferably bouncing into the corner if u want to score a goal.. Don't blast it at the keeper ala to y kelly or take the cowards option of hitting it high.. Would love to see Clare blast 3 or 4 goals against Wexford.. You'd never know they might trouble all Ireland contenders yet..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1163 - 10/07/2013 20:15:49    1428533

Link

Mr BloodyBan you placed Limerick in there with Kilkenny and Galway? hahaha Clare would NOT Be well bet by Limerick. Galway arent a million miles away either from us. Kilkenny are a class above but please dont place Limerick in that company. Good luck in the Munster Final but steady a wee bit.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 11/07/2013 09:49:08    1428658

Link

bloodyban

What do base this "no talent" jibe on ?? Wexford panal is littered with excellent players. talent isn't the issue.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 11/07/2013 12:13:01    1428842

Link

Littered with excellent players..................hold on there now! We've maybe 3-4 players who would have a chance of making the likes of KK, Galway, Tipp teams, wouldn't say littered!

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 253 - 11/07/2013 14:16:50    1428984

Link

bloodyban i agree with what you said about mcgrath, but i dont know what you are talking about refering to limerick in the same light as kilkenny, they are light years apart, clare would get closer to kilkenny than limerick would, and as bannerboys said galway are nothing better than clare either. saying clare would be well beaten by limerick and galway is ridiculous.
doylerwex well done last night but its easy for you to come on here today and question a comment which was fair at the time yesterday. if the kk keeper hadnt dropped the ball into his own net, whos knows waht would have happened had he cleared it. also to say the wexford panel is littered with excellent players is clearly an exaggeration, wexford have some good players but there is not one who i would call excellent, although the likes of rossitor and jacob have been very good players for a number of years. wexfords new star man is purely a free taker - a very good one at that, but im not sure if he offers a great deal more. i know they all have talent as everyone has some level of talent but who are these excellent players you speak of?

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 11/07/2013 14:18:36    1428987

Link

ok I'll say littered with potential instead. much like Clare. Rory Jacob and Keith Rossiter are still top players. Ciarán Kenny can mix it with anybody.

In terms of the panal's future Andrew Kenny,Eoin Moore,Eoin Doyle,Lee Chin,Jack Guiney,Paul Morris and Gary Moore for now. Then awaiting the return on Matt O'Hanlon,Liam McGovern and Dee O'keefe. Goff,O'Garman,Byrne,Carton,Clarke and Conor Mac carry the same promise as any Clare or Limerick player.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 11/07/2013 19:21:35    1429355

Link

hurlingexpert

The better/hungrier team won last night and the keeper picked it off the ground. If it didn't land in the net the resulting free most likely would have would have. And I'm sure you'll notice it has nothing to do with the result last night.I always speak about Wexford hurlers in a positive and optimistic light. It would be a fairly sorry state of affairs if all the county's hopes rested on an under 21 leinster title although it's a great achievement and I am delighted.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 11/07/2013 19:24:43    1429358

Link

DoylerWex while your passion and support of Wexford is commendable it is also blinded.....i wont call you deluded because thats harsh, but the "potential" you speak of in Wexford is no way near the "same" potential as in this Clare side. I am not saying Wexford dont have potential, im sure some of your young hurlers do....but to be honest only Stevie Wonder would see things the way you do.

Clare are not world beaters as you constantly keep reminding us, we havent achieved anything yet!!!!! but the potential is very really and incredibly positive. We have some very very skilful talented players coming through and already there. We do have the potential to match the best and beat the very best. Given the right direction and a little time to get the mix of experience and potential just right. Thats in no way arrogant to say that. We are aiming for Munsters and All Irelands but dont expect them straight away. OF COURSE.

As for tomorrow, who knows on any given day of course we wont take Wexford as a walkover, they can beat a lot of teams on their day. But lets make it absolutely clear if we lose to Wexford is will be a real slap in the face. You would need to look at Davey and ask if he is the right man if we cant get past Wexford who quite frankly wont challenge for success in the present or near future. You can be optimistic but without the players what can you do.

Here's to a good game Saturday evening.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 12/07/2013 12:23:17    1429720

Link

BannerBoy2013

I don't have to many arguments there. . . .Although I still believe if we are to get the very best out of this crop of players there is no reason why we can't be as good as any team out there. Some of the comments directed at our lads say that we are basically wasting our time which really isn't the case. Every team striving to beat the best should really look at Dublin. They are showing this year that you don't need to be that good to win a trophy. You just need to work very hard. As far as skill is concerned I'd consider Dublin to be seriously limited. Clare in that respect are much better but based on performances and results Dublin are the team of the championship so far. It just bothers me that Wexford are being heavily written off. Not by you directly but media,bookies an our own followers and I feel the need to defend them.

In fairness I see that yourself and other knowledgeable Hurling people in Clare realize that you are only potential but the pundits and media seem to have been blowing you up in a major way this year and nothing has come of that. It's refreshing to see the results of the current pole on the Clare page that you aren't being unrealistic.

On to Tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect. But I hope that the players will relish the opportunity to pit themselves against a decent team. I also hope that our midfield can compete and our inside line gets decent ball. I have every confidence in our defense. If everything clicks (I acknowledge it's a big if) then there is nothing to fear playing Clare and it's anybody's game.

The very best of luck. Here's to a sporing match between two of the greats of the 90s

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 12/07/2013 13:24:05    1429808

Link

Fair play to you DoylerWex here here

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 12/07/2013 14:10:58    1429866

Link

Yeah I think its going to be a good game tomorrow. Iv great time for Wexford and used to love watching Martin Storey..Maybe you do have the talent on the panal as you say. Tomorrow is the time to bring the A" game. Clare will certainly let you guys hurl because they simply cant shut a team down..Again thats not disrespectfull of Clare. There will be hundreds if not a few thousand south east Clare people shouting for Limerick in the Gaelic grounds sunday..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1163 - 12/07/2013 14:37:53    1429904

Link

Actually really looking forward to the weekend of hurling. The championship starts here lads. Very best of luck to all involved. Would love to see Limerick make the break too. I've always felt guilty for winning in 96 for the likes of Barry Foley and Ciarán Carey etc who never really got the glory day in spite of Limerick being a serious team at the time. Very best of Luck to them also.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 12/07/2013 15:47:32    1429986

Link

interestingly from the teams that started the last championship game between clare and wexford in 2006, wexford have 5 players starting today that started that day while clare have none

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 13/07/2013 11:01:36    1430285

Link