Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sundays disastrous game should be laid squarely at the door of Davy Fitzgerald, and his total lack of any credible management skills. When the going got tough and the game started to go away from us Davy was totally found out and so was the short passing game which Clare now operate under Davy's leadership! The amount of times good possession was coughed up by the backs trying to play the ball out of defence which lead to soft scores by Cork I would say even surprised JBM that Clare were making it so easy for them. The Clare players looked tired, slow and totally unprepared for this game. I don't even know where to start on the substitutions they just didn't make sense. Considering we lost our main fielder of the ball in John Conlon why wasn't Peter Duggan brought on considering the problems he caused to the Waterford and Cork backs in the last two games. Also Cathal McInerney played very well when he was brought on against Cork in the league relegation play off. We have the talent, speed merchants, wristy hurlers call them whatever you want these guys are proven winners, in my opinion the ability of these players to produce their best is being stiffled by this ludicrous slow ball and short passing game, these guys at full throttle are a joy to behold and are ready now to deliver silverware to the Banner county under the right leadership that is! If you think I'm being over the top with Davy then you haven't heard him on Clare FM when he refers to the dedicated Clare following is he referring to those who are dedicated to his leadership or those who question it are they not dedicated fans in his opinion? Has Davy the capacity to change - personally I don't believe so. He will persist in this style of play trying to prove that he is right and that this is the way forward for Clare . The way the Clare team play now is too predictable it gives the opposition all the time in the world to close down and block and stops the Clare players using the short passing game effectively. Davys tactics have already been found out in four out of the five championship games he has played so far and 'm including the Waterford game this year. Waterford had ample opportunity to put us away and didn't avail of it and the fact they ran out of steam at the end of the game made us look good in the second half. One more year of Davy - I HOPE NOT!

potkettleblack (Clare) - Posts: 3 - 26/06/2013 20:07:05    1416313

Link

Pblack your totally right!

hookandblock (Limerick) - Posts: 252 - 26/06/2013 21:53:10    1416442

Link

I have to say I was really hoping and looking forward to a Limerick Clare final - some of the best hurling matches over the last few years were at under 21 level and these two teams were in the middle of it..
Watching Clare at senior level at present is very frustrating - they have made a fairly straight forward game very complicated. Davy believes in a style of play over the style of the players at hand. This is a fundamental failing which any manager should avoid.
What baffles me is the expectation pundits have on Clare. Their only Championship wins over the last two years have been against opposition who played very poorly on the day (Dublin last year, Waterford this year).
Davy will have them hoping jumping around the place out to prove a point over the next couple of games but if they win them they'll come up against a county like Galway, Limerick, Kilkenny, Cork in the q-final and I fear it will be the same miserable effort again..

I was really hoping hurling would have an extra contender this year in Clare with the pool of talent they possess - years don't be long going by and I really hope they begin to realize their potential soon

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1014 - 28/06/2013 13:55:04    1417609

Link

Ban my biggest fear is exactly what you said.....year dont be long going by.

I would die a happy man if i saw this current crop reach its potential.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 28/06/2013 15:24:04    1417700

Link

unless fitzgerald serioosly changes he should be changed!! with the players at his disposal its ludicrious to be playing all this stupid short passing and two man full forward lines..and what has cathal mcinerney done to him?? short pass it when the need is there but clare usually do it for the sake of it..the passer is usually passing to a player in a worse position as well.. ps if i see this two man full forward against laois i think i will cry.. and it will be time to get rid of davy..

firepower (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 01/07/2013 17:22:28    1420825

Link

Double header this Sunday confirmed for Ennis

3:00 Clare v Laois -hurling
5:00 Clare v Laois -football

Will be home in time for the Kilkenny v Tipp match.
Hopefully rest of hurling fans will stay to support the footballers.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 01/07/2013 18:03:48    1420894

Link

Saturday not Sunday!!! Lets get out and support them!!

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 02/07/2013 08:21:17    1421189

Link

I will be careful and pay respect to the Laois hurlers by saying "if" we can get past Laois on Saturday is it only Wexford we can meet in the Phase 3 qualifiers?

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 02/07/2013 10:16:06    1421260

Link

ya its saturday for sure. Laois wont be easy but i expcet a massive improvement from Clare and good win, anything else is not acdeptable. There has been a huge backlash against this mgmt team since th ecork game and most of it, if not all, is fairly deserved. short passing is fine to a certian point but we need tom mvoe the ball in early otherwise we are wasting the talent sof honan, mcgrath etc..id also like to see more lads used, it seems fitzy has 16/17 lads in his head and wont change, a strong bench is vital these days.

my team for sunday:
kelly
mcinerney
dillon
o connor
bugler
donnellan
galvin
kelly
conlon
duggan
ryan
collins
honan
mcgrath

we need huge inmprovement in perfomarnce from ryan, mcrgrath, bugler n kelly, although kelly is only 19 and it was his first abd day for clare but the other 2 lads are on the panel long enough now.

id like to see cathal macinenry given a run too at some stage, he has scores in him and i rate him as a good finisher, which we lack at present.

the draw has been kind to clare, if we can hold our nerve, we could end up in a 1/4 final. which would be actual progress from last year as we would have gone a round further, but untll we take a big scalp, then this team has not yet delivered.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 02/07/2013 10:26:13    1421270

Link

Clareman I hope your team isnt right as we would only be starting with 14 players. Haha

I presume you omitted DOD at corner back?

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 02/07/2013 12:39:03    1421450

Link

Expecting we'll be meeting soon lads. Very best of luck at the weekend and I'm really looking forward to the next round.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 02/07/2013 13:31:57    1421526

Link

sorry Lohan, you are right! Forget DOD!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 02/07/2013 14:16:29    1421631

Link

I could see Laois giving Clare a real run for their money on Saturday. Clare have some real skillfull players but if you cant win your own ball then you shouldnt be playing.. Conor McGrath has been a little disappointing for the last few years and Colin Ryan will be lucky to hold his place I hear..The frees could just swing it for him.
Id like to see Clare having a serious run in the Qualifiers but Id fancy Wexford to beat them if they met. Thats a fair damning inditment of Davy Fitz who is not doing a good job.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1163 - 04/07/2013 18:00:06    1423888

Link

Expect it to be an uncomfortable day but would settle for a couple of pts win....and an improved performance and direct aggressive performance...Clare abu

dellboy31 (Dublin) - Posts: 45 - 04/07/2013 20:57:02    1424000

Link

bloodyban

You would EXPECT Wexford to beat Clare?

You know absolutely nothing about hurling

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 06/07/2013 08:33:47    1424857

Link

if you beat laois you will hammer wexford their useless even we shoould have beaten them

thegrounds (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 06/07/2013 08:37:27    1424859

Link

What's davy's problem, why do people not know team until 30 mins before game???

hookandblock (Limerick) - Posts: 252 - 06/07/2013 14:17:23    1424982

Link

bloodyban
County: Limerick

"I could see Laois giving Clare a real run for their money on Saturday"

4 posts of dribble.

Once again you have given a display of fine hurling knowledge.

1-32 Clare
0-15 Laois

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 06/07/2013 17:01:32    1425099

Link

so we see ya next week lads......we have an awful record against you in championship but i expect a really good contest.best of luck

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 07/07/2013 09:39:44    1425434

Link

Wexford next now.

We must not read too much into the Laois game. What I will say however is 1-32 in any championship game of 70 minutes is fantastic shooting.

I would only make one change to the starting team and draft O Donnell in for Podge. Perhaps a bit unfair on Podge after his performance against Cork but both McGrath and Honan appear a little hesitant to take on their man, put the head down and go for goal. O Donnell offers us a bigger goal threat we lack at the moment.

On another note, fair play to our defense. Only 1 goal conceded in 3 championship games is great. In particular Cian Dillion who often comes in for criticism has been fantastic and remember he is just back from a long term injury.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/07/2013 10:00:09    1425448

Link