Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

when tipp won the ai in 2010 they had 5 current u21s playing.. namely padraig maher, micky cahill, noel mcgrath, brendan maher and bonnar maher.. and another seamus hennessy came on as a sub..and in fact in the 2009 ai 4 of those played (the exception being micky cahill) and gereoid ryan and seamus callinan were u21 as well.. so they actually had 6 u21 starters in 2009..

firepower (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 23/06/2013 14:42:14    1413233

Link

Cork have a real hurling tradition. The nearest counties to Cork in terms of tradition are Kilkenny and Tipperary. Thats what won it today. Cork were never gonna let anyone beat them 4 times in one year let alone 4 times in a row. Don't be under any illusion that any other county apart from the 3 mentioned have a real hurling tradition. If Limerick win the Munster Final and the A-I we will never hear the end of it and how they are a great hurling power, much the same as when Clare won under Loughnane the first time..

donkeyford (Limerick) - Posts: 119 - 23/06/2013 18:58:05    1413527

Link

Jamesie o Connor spoke about loose talk in the county after the game today. I got bit of a hard time when I warned about too much expectation on the prospects for 2013 thread. It is difficult to insulate young players from that. It happens nearly every year that media hype up a team that easily beat a poor team in first round. Was Clare's turn to suffer that faith this year. V hard to turn winning 21s into winning seniors. In limerick we know that better than anyone. Maybe today will turn out to be a useful school day in development of this team

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 23/06/2013 20:01:15    1413615

Link

lads i,d be intersted to know what way ye feel about tactics in 1st half.it looked as if the cork f/bck line were in trouble but very little ball in there after 15 mins.very surprised that clare didn,t try a small bit more physicality,no real intensity to their game.also intersting to hear davy saying he wasn,t happy with certain things.what?the clare display?the ref?thouht ref had good game but very easy to do it.i wudn,t be writing off cork in here.like all senior teams they are all very natural hurlers and very comfortable on the ball.

hectork (Limerick) - Posts: 1049 - 23/06/2013 20:49:20    1413677

Link

Cork played simple direct hurling and their shooting was exemplary. Deserving winners.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 23/06/2013 21:48:32    1413805

Link

my worst fears came through yesterday. Cork came in under the radar and clare had taken their eye of the ball. the handpassing n soloing out of defence cost us 7-8 scores. However, the real thing that annoyed me was the total lack of fight in them. conlon got belted and no one repsonded. clare need leaders to emerge in that team. once conlon was gone, we had no ball winner, why didnt duggan come on? real disheartening stuff yesterday but maybe in the long run a hiding like that will stand to them, they took beatings in 92/93/94 n came back, this will be the tst of them now. the hype around them needs to stop. people need to get real..but also support the team. i thought they were be a huge clare crowd yesterday, it wasnt great. only 19000! there should have being 30000 at that.

Clare made cork look good, limk will beat Cork im pretty sure.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 24/06/2013 09:43:48    1413895

Link

Lads I'm fierce disappointed with the result yesterday, but lets not get too carried away writing anyone off. The great thing about sport and hurling is everyone from every county wants to tell you where you're going wrong and how you should be doing it. Well fair enough because yesterday it went wrong. But lets just leave it there, we will bounce back no problem. Its not as if we have been regularly challenging for Munster Hurling Championships anyway.
This is a golden crop of Clare players and could "potentially" be our greatest ever!!!!!! I said "potentially". One defeat against Cork doesn't change that a great deal. There are Munster titles in that team I bet my life on it.
Yesterday is yet another lesson in what is a development and a work in practice.
I think it was clear for all to see the winning and the losing of the game was Corks ability to make more of the wind than Clare could. How Clare didn't score a goal in the first half is incredible. We had the chances, we just didn't take them and can only have ourselves to blame. Fair play to Cork, they set their stall out and went against the wind first half. This said to Clare get what you can first half and give us a target to beat. Unfortunately we played into Corks hands with poor use of our goal chances and with only a 3 point lead against that wind it was never going to be enough. You could visibly see the Clare lads get demoralised as Cork levelled the game and well the rest is history.
I see people say U21 success doesn't guarantee senior success, I don't remember many real hurling supporters say it does. But we in Clare know we have terrific talent there, some of the best in this country. Clare have players now as good as any Tipp, Cork or Kilkenny lad. The "tradition" boys as was said. We are looking to build a tradition through Minor, U21 and eventually Senior.
Lets support these lads through the hard days and the great days will come and be all the more sweeter.

UP THE BANNER!!!!!!

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 24/06/2013 09:56:26    1413906

Link

without stating the obvious clare were terrible in the second half being out scored 15 4. positives were that we didnt concede goals and we created 4 or 5 excellent chances and also podge collins played very well. the loss of john conlon cannot be understated though as he is clares primary ball winner and without him on the field clare really struggled. fergal lynch was brought in to try and replace conlon. honan was doing serious damage early on when he was getting direct ball in, but for some reason clare stopped giving him the ball. tony kelly was anonymous and we couldn't get him into the game and he often ended up positioned far too deep. short game was a disaster, i have no problem with going short but i dont understand why everytime we get the ball t has to go short and why we go short to pass backwards or to a player who is under pressure, cork got 5 points from us making mistakes coming out of defence trying to pass short and losing it. players played poorly but the system failed miserably and this is down to davy and no one else, he is really going to have to think about a change. we should beat laois at home and then more than likely face wexford after that, in what would be a very hard game to call but i think we should do it. so we can potentially still have a say later in the championship.
donkeyford tradition had nothing to do with cork winning that match, cork won because they simply out hurled clare and because clare were not far enough ahead at half time. the movement in there forward line was excellent, while in the second half clares forwards were all over the place with no shape and didnt seem to know where they were supposed to be. i would also say that corks decision to play against the wind in the first half was very clever as clare would have wanted the wind in the second half

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 24/06/2013 09:58:56    1413909

Link

I think its very easy to get carried away talking about how Cork taught us a lesson etc. but id be way more inclined to say we made Cork look great yesterday. I can count 7/8 preventable scores GIVEN to Cork lads. Players coming out of defence and passing straight to a Cork lad who puts it straight over the bar. Lets put it into perspective. Cork had ZERO goal chances, we lost a game against a good side by creating our own downfall.
There are positives lads, won Division 1B last year, performed very well in Division 1A this year. We are now performing well against the Tipp's, Waterford's, Galway's, Kilkenny's and Corks again. It's a work in progress.
Honan was brilliant yesterday, we just didn't get him "enough" ball. That I feel would have made all the difference first half if we did. Tony Kelly has been superb and will be superb, the lad is only 19 and what he will learn from games like yesterday is invaluable to his progress as a hurler.
The Banner will rise, give us a chance. We are in the right Provincial championship to develop

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 24/06/2013 10:08:51    1413920

Link

I agree Hurlingexpert, "if" we beat Laois what makes you think its Wexford? has that been decided?

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 24/06/2013 10:13:15    1413925

Link

the likelyhood is, is that waterford and wexford will beat westmeath and carlow, so as we have already played waterford we would face wexford as we cant potentially meet waterford again until a semi final while wexford would be expected to beat carlow. no disrespect to laois of course as they have to be our main focus at the moment after the scare they gave galway.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 24/06/2013 10:30:46    1413947

Link

we are on the same wavelength bannerboy, i counted at least 7-8 scores as well that we shot ourselves in the foot. the heads did drop after we spurned 2 great goal chances at start of second half. we must lick our wounds and come back. they have to respond now and show fight, which was badly lacking in last 30 mins. laois next, will be tricky as they on an upward curcve buts its in ennis so i epxect clare to pull away and win, but twill be the right gaem for them. we avoided dubbs or kk so we lucked out

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 24/06/2013 11:06:56    1413995

Link

One bad match doesn't make a bad team. Iagree that Clare are a work in progress. I do think however that was the kind if talk that should have been on this forum last week. To the man who says Clare ppl didn't think good 21s automatically make good seniors have a read of prospects 2013 thread and a lot of what hurling expert has said. Clare have great lads n hurling not only Clare need them to develop. Give them time. Also I wouldn't make too much of Conlon loss cos he is to Clare what Cronin is to cork n they were also missing mcloughlin n o Sullivan. In balance chalk it up to experience. I would back Clare against Laois n wexford n that along with another good 21 campaign would be a good year IMO

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 24/06/2013 11:08:38    1413996

Link

Very disappointing yesterday, and like everyone else it was really the manner in which we went down that really hurts.
The missed goal chances in the 1st half were probably the main reason, and this allowed Cork to stay in the game and when they got their chance after half-time they really over powered us.
John Conlon going off had a big impact, and it also showed that we've no real ball winners outside of him. A bit surprised that Peter Duggan was not brought on.
Not sure why Davy opted to start Nicky O'Connell. He was quiet poor for most of the league so was surprised to see him get the nod.
Full-back line looked in trouble at times, although thought O'Donovan had a good game apart from his last few solo runs out of defence at ebd of game which gave 2 points to Cork.
Half-back line struggled all through. Donnellan never really looked dominant in the centre position, and Bugler always looks to do the inspirational rather than laying off the ball or clearing it 1st time.
Colm Galvin had some good moments in midfield, but needed more support.
Tony Kelly was pretty much anonymous and was disaappointed that Davy did not move him out to midfield. Colin Ryan & Conor McGrath don't look as though they have the physicality to fight for the hard ball. Two very good finishers, but they are not agressive enough to win ball and we can no longer afford to have both on the team.
Honan was in great form and unlucky not to score more. Cork didn't know how to handle him and it was a shame we didn't feed him more ball.
Podge Collins was easily our best player on the day.

The short passing game clearly didn't work yesterday. Easily led to about 5-7 points for Cork. To play this sort of game you need very physical players and Clare are not yet at this stage. Even still, a lot of the mistakes were basic errors and players must take a lot of the blame for these. When it breaks down, it looks really bad from the sidelines which opens it up to a lot of critism.
Not sure if Davy will change tactics. It's difficult to change a style mid season, but if Clare are go on to beat any of the bigger teams this season they will need to adopt.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 24/06/2013 11:29:11    1414032

Link

what clare need is to get a couple of more championship games this year, the players will learn from yesterday, the worry is that davy wont and will stick to his guns until another good team faces us and does exactly what cork did. i wouldnt put it down to inexperience, i think tactics and inability to put the ball in the net is what cost us. i would not play nicky o'connell or colin ryan anymore he just doesnt do enough, although he is a very reliable free taker. but mcgrath and the 2 kellys can share the frees. fegal lynch is not the solution and i have my doubts about duggan aswell. a player i would like to see involved is jamie shanahan who played his first game in a long time yesterday when introduced for the intermediates. he is a strong young player who is extremely talented and is capable of winning ball in the air. although it may be too soon as he is just back from a long injury layoff but next year i think he should definitely start, he is a very good free taker aswell.
also conlon was a massive loss no one from clare stood up when conlon went off, but for cork without cronin i thought lehane and in particular harnedy stood up and showed real fight. people seem to be forgeting that cork badly missed 3 scoreable frees in the first half so we were lucky to be 3 up at half time.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 24/06/2013 11:40:29    1414044

Link

if we get over laois, could we not meet tipp or dublin or kk, in round 3 though? why does it have to be wexford?

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 24/06/2013 11:41:36    1414046

Link

2 teams that come from phase 1 will play 2 teams that come from phase 2. i would guess that it would be clare v wexford and tipperary/dublin v waterford. assuming kk beat dublin.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 24/06/2013 11:55:52    1414069

Link

ok i will take your word for it hurling expert!

yep shanahan is a fine hurler and a big talent. as is daire keane, 2 lads that are v different in build n style to most of our forwards now. id like to see them involved, but did keane fall out with fitz or whats the story?

we are short 3/4 players at the moment to make a strong senior side but ive no soubt those players are in the county, just maybe short of senior level now, the 2 ive mentioned and conor cleary from kilmaley is another one as well.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 24/06/2013 12:08:50    1414091

Link

As a neutral fan watching the the game I thought the referee was totally one sided, if a clare lad had been tripped or dragged he didn't want to know about it. 20 to 7 in free's awarded and it wasn't a dirty game. Some of the cork free's in front of the posts were very soft.

wexford6warrior (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 24/06/2013 19:27:56    1414683

Link

I think even if we push on to qtrs. there are now huge question marks on davy...
but struggle to warm to his constant media sound bites where he exposes himself and team to not needed attention...am I alone here..the rigid style of play...lack of game time for bench ...has Markham/ cmcinerney/ s Collins played a competitive game all year between them..

dellboy31 (Dublin) - Posts: 45 - 26/06/2013 12:41:15    1415857

Link