Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i would agree yes. outside of players currently involved in the senior panel jamie shanahan would definitely be the most promising, a really class hurler. suprised he is not actually involved in the panel this year.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 18/04/2013 16:25:52    1369915

Link

Shanahan is injured at the moment

johnnyroastbeef (UK) - Posts: 215 - 18/04/2013 21:36:49    1370133

Link

Can ye beat cork again??

hookandblock (Limerick) - Posts: 252 - 16/06/2013 13:47:36    1407708

Link

I think anyone who is interested in the promotion of hurling would want an extended league with possibly 2 leagues of 6 so a total of 12 teams. If we marginalise counties such as Wexford and make it difficult for them to improve by burying them in the second division then football will (and has taken )take over. That is no good to real hurling people. I think any fair minded person would agree that there isn't a lot between the 2nd and the 8th place team in the league. Include Offaly and Wexford then add 2 from Carlow Westmeath Antrim or Laois for the sake of hurling. The league shouldn't exclusively be about competitive games for the 6 counties in div 1 A where hurling is not in any danger. For those of us who call ourselves hurling men shouldn't we concern ourselves with the promotion and growth of our game. If we look at the idea of 6 in each group. In theory each county would have 3 competitive games and 2 not so competitive. If top 4 in each group get into a QF then that a guarantee of 4 competitive games and a max of 6 for a team that qualifies for the final. Play it from end of feb to first Sunday in May. That is the same number of competitive games that they get now but at least the exposure of the game would be increased in bottom 4 counties and in time the might catch up. Isnt that what all hurling people should want to see? A semi final and final relegation system for bottom 4.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 16/06/2013 17:37:08    1407951

Link

hookandblock i think we definitely can beat cork again, we have beaten them before this year and will not be afraid of them. the fact that we beat waterford in third gear means clare have a lot more in the tank to give. the fact the cork may be without pa cronin and lorcan mcloughlin would be a massive blow for them, cronin in particular would be irreplaceable with his ability to win primary possession in the middle third of the field. a lot of the scoring burden will be on pat horgan so i think if he can be marked and the supply stopped from getting to him i think clare should win. i would expect clare to start the same team as the last day and have a much stronger performance.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 17/06/2013 09:34:26    1408384

Link

The game against Waterford should bring this Clare team on a lot. Cork could be cold. The loss of Cronin and McLoughlin is a massive blow however, even with these two players I would still expect a Clare win.

We beat them twice in the league, have a game under our belt and they have significant injury worries. To my mind if Clare lose this game it will be down to an under performance. Its time now to stand up and be counted. Tipperary's loss to Limerick has made this game even more intriguing and each of the remaining teams have now got a far greater chance of silverware although you would have to say that Limerick must be big favourites after their game against Tipp.

I would expect that Peter Duggan will get called in instead of Morey with all else staying the same.

I watched the Waterford game again their at the weekend and I must say that Cian Dillion had a fantastic game at corner back. Especially given how long he was out injured.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 17/06/2013 10:17:32    1408431

Link

ya agreed lohan, dillon was very good, surprised me. i think hes a good corner back, sweeps behind the fb and good off both sides, he can play fb too, though im not convinced by him there long term. duggan should start, although morey is afine player and will make a serrious contribution to the team over the summer. as well nicky o connell, once he gets his confindence back

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 18/06/2013 10:50:53    1409612

Link

I think that young Clare team could experience a backlash this Sunday, there is no such thing as a terrible cork team, they are never down for long, I think cork will shade it

hookandblock (Limerick) - Posts: 252 - 18/06/2013 19:51:20    1410245

Link

hope it's a cracking game. It's a season short on good games. . .Galway and Laois is the best game so far in this championship and that's not saying a lot. . . .Have a hunch on Cork for munster but it's really anybody's with tipp gone.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 18/06/2013 21:15:15    1410330

Link

people keep saying that clare are a young team and that it might work against them, but cork are just as young apart from brian murphy and tom kenny no one else in the cork panel has won a league, munster or all ireland at senior level. shane o'neill and pat horgan are top players and have been around for a while as well but the rest will be no more experienced than clare. while clare have got great experience with pat donnellan and bugler. so i really dont think age/experience is going to have any influence on sunday

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 19/06/2013 09:32:38    1410427

Link

Fair point expert. . . .Think it'll be a cracking game. . .you just have to love the munster championship

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 19/06/2013 16:02:16    1410852

Link

I confess that I am a believer in the Clare are too young theory. I think that anyone who saw his post match interview would think Davy Fitz is also a believer. He kept saying we are under no illusions this is a project (I think). Has a team ever won a Munster c ship with 6 U 21s? Does anyone else think that a lot of the younger players were anonymous against Wford until it became obvious that Care were well on the way to winning and the pressure was off? Having said that if Clare beat Cork then 2 c ship wins in Thurles could well go a long way to offset the too young theory. Also the turning point the last day was switching Bugler to 6 will he start there on sunday?

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 19/06/2013 17:13:07    1410929

Link

you could be right disiullisonafan..might be a year too soon for them, when these lads came on the panel, only bugler n donnellan were anyway considered experience. Ferghal lynch was and is never a regular so couldn lean on him. T griffin, gerry quinn, carmody, gilly, gerry grady n d mac all where gone for one reason or another so hard for them.
cork in 99 n tipp in 2010 had a fair whack of 21s..but they also had 5/6 lads on the team with huge exp..esp tipp, think 5 of the team had medals from 01..cummins, kelly, corbett, o brien n maybe curran? could be wrong
if clare win munster this year its a serious achivements as its traditonally harder to win it the 3 game route. can wait for sunday, should be a good crowd too as limerick only in the road, hopefully better than the 5/6000 that travelled 3 weeks ago. that was pathetic support. players deserve more

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 20/06/2013 11:43:26    1411335

Link

I cant remember any winner in recent years having 5 current under 21s starting, but as i have always said if they are good enough they are old enough, as supporters all we can do is trust them to deliver. one thing for sure is that the players or management wont be taking it easy thinking it might be a year too early, they should be aiming to go as far as possible now. when clare had all the players mentioned above with all the experience we won nothing simply because they were not good enough. i would take skill over experience any day.
i would expect clare to start the same team although bugler would have originally been assigned to mark cronin. so now if either of cussen or cian mccarthy start in the half forward line i would expect bugler to be on which ever one if either starts, be it on the wing or in the center.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 20/06/2013 11:49:53    1411341

Link

Is shane golden worth a place on the squad??

twohandondehurl (Clare) - Posts: 23 - 21/06/2013 09:10:48    1411986

Link

golden is stateside for the summer. he would be worth a place in the squad but not the starting team

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 21/06/2013 09:52:57    1412009

Link

If they are good enough age is irrelevant but championship experience is key really. Davy Fitz doesn't seem to be under any illusions and seems to maintain the "this is a project approach" and he has to be afforded a little bit of time to get them right. He'll have them incredible well prepared physically but the mental preparation will be seen at the weekend. Kind of agree with what's been said already. . . .the young guns didn't really show up until the game was almost in the bag. Has all the ingredients of a classic. It's a season short on really good games so far so hopefully this one will be a humdinger! Best of luck

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 21/06/2013 13:36:54    1412238

Link

Cant wait for this game!!!

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 23/06/2013 08:58:04    1413083

Link

2 changes from last game, nicky starting midfield instead of morey and podge stating ahead of shane o'donnell

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 23/06/2013 11:34:21    1413132

Link

Interesting selection but I guess with Davy you never know the starting team until throw in.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 23/06/2013 11:59:44    1413147

Link