Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great Result for the Banner. Congratulations to the team and supporters. Both Limerick and Clare will fancy their chances in the semi.. I thought Galvin and Pudgey Collins were excellent..Galway were shambolic though

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1166 - 28/07/2013 19:27:10    1445246

Link

Super display ..backs vey strong ..much the better and hungrier team...tactically a master performance...I gladly eat humble pie for all my whining about Davey...McGrath also immense...can't stop smiling...a semi final woohoo!!!!

dellboy31 (Dublin) - Posts: 45 - 28/07/2013 19:29:58    1445258

Link

Galway were poor right enough...a lack of character and fight from players last thing they need is change of management though...immense kudos to Joe for signing autographs after a really bad day in office

dellboy31 (Dublin) - Posts: 45 - 28/07/2013 19:35:56    1445273

Link

I found it most encouraging that Davy used all five subs and all of them made an impact bar Shane O'Donnell (an outstanding hurler but wasn't on the pitch long enough to impose himself).

twohandondehurl (Clare) - Posts: 23 - 29/07/2013 09:07:28    1445619

Link

fair play to ye lads this young team is improving all the time....its going to be some semi final. limerick will have to hurl really well to win this and defensively will have to be on their toes to watch the clare runners off the ball.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 29/07/2013 09:51:20    1445673

Link

Great win yesterday, and both Clare & Limerick will really see this as a big chance to at least get to the final.
Davy got his tactics spot on. I fully expected him to play a sweeper, but never expected Conor Ryan to start and that was a masterstroke. To be fair he was excellent during u-21 last year, but was medicore enough during league although he was mostly used in midfield.

We need to take note though that Galway were quite poor. Some easy frees missed, no idea of right team, bad decisions made, and only for 2 soft goals this could have been a rout. Also, we only scored 1 goal and didn't really have any other goal chances. This is mostly down to playing so many men back to counter Canning, so maybe Davy may spring another tactical surprise and go man for man against Limerick...!!!!

My player analysis for what it's worth.
1.Kelly -played well but got caught for 1st goal.
2.O'Donovan -thought this was by far his worst game for Clare. At fault for 2nd goal which could have cost us the game. Hayes scored 3 from play off him, and was fouled for 2 more points which meant he conceded 1-05 directly
3.Dillon -excellent
4.McInerney -very good game
5.Bugler -very good
6.Donnellan -very good
7.O'Connor -excellent game
8.Galvin -excellent
9.Colin Ryan -best game for Clare in a while. 2 great points from play and good conversion rate from frees
10.Conlon -never really got in the game. Took a knock early on so maybe that effected him.
11.Kelly -played ok but was well marked.
12.Conor Ryan -very good
13.Collins -another top class display
14.Honan -threatened to cause havoc, but only ended up with 1 point from play. A good enough display but we know he's capable of more
15.McGrath -1 of his better games. Great goal which really put us in the driving seat for the rest of the game

Subs
Lynch -hit and miss, scored a good point but missed an easy one
O'Connell -got a good point and was full of energy
Morey, McInerney & O'Donnell all looked busy but not enough time to have a major impact

Looking forward to the semi-final...!!

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 29/07/2013 11:47:09    1445917

Link

great win by the boys yesterday, hopefully all the clare people who have criticized davy and his tactics will now see that everyone needs to get behind him and his players and stop with the negativity as he is slowly perfecting it, with the right balance of short/long play. bar the concession of 2 soft goals i thought we played quiet well as a team. joe missing the frees gave us a little breathing space at crucial times. great to see mcgrath back to form as i said he maybe should be dropped but he was excellent particularly in the first half. colin ryan also who gets a lot of criticism had one of his best games for clare. i said before that it was a 50/50 game and i expect the limerick game to also be 50/50. 14 of the 15 players who started will almost definitely be in the team for the semi. with no.12 being the 1 place of doubt as i dont expect the we will play a sweeper against limerick. also great to see our wides tally drop and that we are starting to play to something towards our potential, although we know there is still plenty more in the tank, we will have to up it another level for the semi final

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 29/07/2013 12:14:13    1445966

Link

Bugler, Collins and Dillon were my picks!! I think Dillon has been outstanding this year, even more so when you consider he was injured for the whole league

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 29/07/2013 13:21:00    1446118

Link

Conor McGrath deserves serious credit too! Back to his best

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 29/07/2013 13:21:50    1446122

Link

lohan have you any idea what the story with peter duggan was yesterday? its very strange that he would go from playing 2 full games in a row to not playing at all. very surprised that he wasnt brought on before/instead of fergal lynch
unless there is an issue i think we need him back against limerick as i dont expect we will play a sweeper. i think that limerick will focus too much on with holding kelly and conlon and the inside line and therefore will open things up for a player of peters quality. an option i think could be used the next day is that conor mcgrath could be selected at full forward to give richie mac a bit of a run around because honan would suit mccarthys style of play, but when low ball is played into space he can be very vulnerable. shane o'donnell could also start full forward to do this but i think it is unlikely that we will play 3 out and out inside forwards.
i think seadna morey has been desperately unlucky not to be getting more game time, he was in the team playing well and a few little things went against him; between injury, sickness and others playing very well in his position(s)

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 29/07/2013 15:33:07    1446436

Link

Yes it's all teed up to be a good semi final. Great respect between the two teams and so many of them have gone to school together in Ardscoil Ris. I'd fancy Limerick to be alot tougher than Galway .. McGrath would be hauled down before getting in on goal so easy.. A poster put Dillon down as excellent.. He was good but he let himself down for the first goal.. He attempted to get infront of his marker and when u do that u have to make it.. He was left trailing his marker after that and the goal was scored.. Galvin and Padge Collins are two absolute belters of little men.. Great on the ball.. Limerick will have to keep it out of their hands..!

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1166 - 29/07/2013 18:21:29    1446791

Link

How many Limerick men on the clare panel? Padge Collins, Liam Markham both limerick through and through... An argument could be made all the Clonlara guys are..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1166 - 30/07/2013 11:37:29    1447365

Link

Bloodyban, tell me how could you make an argument for all the Clonlara lads for Limerick. Clonlara never was and never will be part of Limerick, unlike some northern parts of Limerick city that was once part of Clare. By your logic of Limerick having a claim on Clonlara players because it is close to Limerick, we could then reversely claim most of Limerick city seeing as its close to our border, quite ridiculous really.

Pjm111 (Clare) - Posts: 4 - 30/07/2013 17:10:12    1447901

Link

I presume he means that the Clonlara boys were all born in Limerick. In fact most if not all of the Clare panel were born in Limerick

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 30/07/2013 19:57:07    1448128

Link

i heard fergal lynch was born in a jungle in east clare. most of the rest probably were born in the limerick HOSPITAL

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 30/07/2013 21:12:04    1448272

Link

There is no maternity hospital in Clare, so huge number of Clare people were most likely born in Limerick/Galway

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 31/07/2013 10:51:40    1448476

Link

No guys nothing to do with that old 'border' baloney..If your born in St. Munchins Maternity doesn't mean your a limerick man. Just that I think everyone of the Clonlara lads has at least one Limerick parent. Podge and Liam Markham have two.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1166 - 31/07/2013 11:44:26    1448554

Link

bloodyban, this is a crazy statement to come out with. if podge or any other CLARE player wanted to play for limerick they would be..but hes clearly a CLARE man. so stop with the rubbish talk. Now to the point i came here to find out, will many clare supporters actually travel. low numbers in thurles last sunday, with a young positive team like this surely more people could make it their business to get out and get behind davy and the boys.

gaamanmad (Westmeath) - Posts: 69 - 31/07/2013 13:37:47    1448728

Link

As a neutral gaamanmad can u tell us how u think game will go. Agree with u on Clare ppl playing for Clare btw. GAA has not yet adopted the grandparent rule like jack Carlton did. I do wish podge had stayed in limerick though

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 31/07/2013 16:58:36    1448998

Link

agree that we need more support the next. not a lot traveled to thurles which i was surprised with. cork had way more support there than the other 3 counties combined. we will have the least support of the 4 teams left because the other 3 counties have 3 of the largest 4 cities in the country population wise, so more than likely we will be out numbered, so we need as many people to go as possible

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 31/07/2013 17:47:54    1449053

Link