Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Clare to win handy I think. I hope its a good game though

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 13/07/2013 12:52:07    1430323

Link

It's half tine in extra time and its obvious that we have serious issues with taking our feet of the gas! When they concentrate they will get the job done but when they are ahead they have serious issues finishing off games! This should give them a good kick though! Hon the banner

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 13/07/2013 18:55:15    1430519

Link

Mother of god that was too close! We are a far better team than Wexford but can't close out games which is a trait of young teams! This experience will bring them on though

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 13/07/2013 19:12:53    1430529

Link

yeah problem seems to be when we get a good lead we tend to sit back and the other team come back into it, fitness was crucial in extra time. cathal mac was very impressive. hopefully get limerick now

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 13/07/2013 20:16:47    1430580

Link

Very happy with the win yesterday lads. Those anyone know dates for the quarter finals?

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 14/07/2013 14:37:31    1430951

Link

Well done lads. The better team won but I'm pleased we gave a good account of ourselves. The very best of luck to you in the remainder of your season. :)

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 14/07/2013 15:17:34    1431000

Link

bannerboys obviously we would be happy with the win but we know that was far from what we expect performance wise. we were playing against a poor wexford team and should have put the game to bed in the first half. quarter final is on the 28th of july. i really think that conor mcgrath should be dropped not performing to the required level. after yesterday the full forward line i would play the next day would be honan o'donnell and cathal mac. bugler should probably be center back from now on. also think that tony kelly should not be taking the penalty/21 meter frees anymore. missing one yesterday and 1 against cork. for a team who doesnt score many goals it is vital we convert them. maybe colin ryan or pa kelly should hit them in future

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 14/07/2013 15:47:51    1431049

Link

Got to be pleased with the win yesterday's win even though we nearly made a balls of it. Fair play to Wexford because they didn't die and forced extra time. It was clearly we felt the game was over, withdrawing Conlon and Colin Ryan would indicate that. Davey will be disappointed we never saw the game out in 70mins but we went and won the game for a second time in the extra time. Wexford would have had the momentum going into extra time but we showed our class in the extra period of time. So it's on now to the challenge of Galway in an All Ireland Quarter Final. It certainly won't be easy and Galway will be the favourites despite what anyone wants to say. They were All Ireland finalists last year and won Leinster last year. They will be strong favourites but can we beat them? I would say yes why not!!

I think McInerney must start now the next day in the full forward line. He is a man that can get you a goal, but please lay off the McGarth stick. He is still a young player and capable of great things. He will have good and bad days. We must stand by lads when in form and out of form.

With Dublin and Limerick Provincial champions Hurling hasn't been this open and exciting in years. We know Galway will be a massive massive challenge, but if and I mean IF we can beat them. On our day we will not fear either Dublin or Limerick. You just never know, I'd rather live in believe and hope.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 14/07/2013 17:56:24    1431218

Link

Key issue is still lacking composure on the ball. Too many wides caused by rushing it, hitting off balance and/or not taking an extra second or 2 when it's sometimes available. Also, there's too many balls delivered from half back line/midfield that are too high and aerial for our full forward line who are very short in physique. Our forwards have pace and mobility to burn but do not have height so I don't see why we let in so much high hopeful ball.

On the positives, our half back line was exceptional and we're not conceding any goals, or even many goal chances (apart from the sucker-punch at the end yesterday). We didn't panic in extra time, kept working and took our goal chances well - that will stand to them.

We have a chance v Galway but unless our use of possession improves, we'll come up short again.

banner_boy (Clare) - Posts: 1284 - 15/07/2013 12:17:59    1431961

Link

We really need a focuses intense performance in 2 weeks or we will loose. There were some positives from the game Saturday:

1. When the chips were down they were well able to turn on the style and blow Wexford away. Why cant they finish teams off?
2. Tony Kelly was back on form.
3. McInerney put his hand up big time for selection. McGrath and himself appear to have a fantastic understanding.
4. O Donnell continues to be our chief goal getter. Thats 3 championship goals in 4 games. Not bad for a young man just turned 19 a few weeks ago in his first championship season.

The main negative is the teams inability to finish opposition. This appears to be a mental block. It is an issue when we are favourites. It looks like we wont be favourites for the rest of the championship and I for one am delighted. I really look forward to the Galway game as I have no doubt they can win it. i would go with this team:

Pa Kelly

O Donavan Dillon McInerney

Morey Bugler Donnellan

Kelly Galvin

Duggan Conlon Podge

O Donnell Honan McGrath

We need Dillion on Canning. He is the strongest and best in the air to deal with him. I would bring Morey in for Patch for his pace in this position. Bit harsh on Patch as he has had super season. Bugler into center back as he seems to end up there most games anyway. Kelly and Galvin in midfield. They can run rings around Andy Smith and Tannion who have looked sluggish so far. Duggan in center forward. He may not have had his best game but he preoccupies so many defenders with his height and strength it frees up space for others. Podge on the wing and instruction to work work work. That full forward line can do damage. McInerney perhaps unluck but I would get him on early for anyone who is not performing. Kelly to take the frees. Duggan to take the penalties.

Clare 2-21 Galway 2-18

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 15/07/2013 13:12:25    1432114

Link

davy mac has to stay full back. he is our full back and should not be switched just because he will be marking canning. he marked him in the league and canning just scored 1 point from play. agree on bugler. o'connor definitely should not be dropped he is playing far too well, i would like to play seadna but right now there is no room for him. i would have col ryan in the half forward line instead of podge as we need his free taking and he did get a few scores from play at the weekend as well. i would not start podge but if he did play then there is certainly no need to instruct him to work because he will do that anyway. i would start mcinerney instead of mcgrath, as he needs to be rewarded because it doesnt send the right message to the players if a sub wins the game for the team and is not given a start in the next game.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 15/07/2013 14:04:25    1432253

Link

Sounds like a good team but if you dont start Ryan who will take the frees?

twohandondehurl (Clare) - Posts: 23 - 15/07/2013 14:09:20    1432271

Link

Sorry didnt read the post right.

twohandondehurl (Clare) - Posts: 23 - 15/07/2013 14:10:57    1432276

Link

Interesting selection Lohan. To be honest, that selection is nonsensical. Pat O Connor along with his halfback colleagues are having a fine season and should be left where they are. If it ain't broke why fix it. Davy will start Donnellan centre back with Bugs on the wing as the game goes on Bugs may move more centrally. Tactically, Davy may decide to play seven defenders against Galway. I would leave David McInerney full back, he just keeps on getting better with every game and its refreshing to see him hurl from the front. If Canning is in there so be it, Canning will drift around and may spend time on the half line also but you'd imagine he is more use to Galway at the edge of the square. Whether he is picked up by McInerney or Dillon the other backs will have to crowd the space and help out at the back. Colin Ryan will also play, only player to be brought straight back on at start of extra time shows his importance to the team. He is not the quickest though and at times the pop pass to a player outside or to a player in a better position should be used rather than hitting poor wides. Podge was outstanding on Saturday and shows his value to this team. I believe Duggan was poor on Saturday won very little possession, I believe he is a good prospect but he has to deliver and an All Ireland Quarter Final is not somewhere you can be hoping for the best. For Duggan and Aaron Cunningham they have an opportunity to put their hand up for senior selection in the under 21 game v Waterford. In fairness to Fergal Lynch, he won ball when introduced and played quite well. The Waterford game could also provide the chance to allow Galvin and Kelly to renew their successful underage partnership.The Galway selection could also play a part in the Clare selection, should Damien Hayes be selected Seadna Morey could be employed to man mark him. The full forward line will consist of two players with Podge dropping back. Conor McGrath, Cathal McInerney, Darach Honan and Shane O Donnell are in the running and all have claims. Something has to give in the selection and if you play 7 defenders along with Podge dropping back it doesn't leave much upfront so a bit of re jigging is required and I will leave Seadna Morey in reserve assuming Damien Hayes doesn't start. Many tight calls but in two of the tightest I have gone for two changes from the Wexford line up, I would retain O Donnell who is our most natural goal getter and leave out McGrath should Honan be fit as McGrath isn't in form. Similarly Duggan isn't performing consistently and Cunningham is more reliable. Six of the team, McInerney, Galvin, Cunningam, Kelly, Collins and O Donnell are out on Thursday night for the under 21's. My line up for the Galway game would be:

Kelly

O Donovan McInerney Dillon

Bugler Donnellan O Connor

Galvin Colin Ryan

Cunningham Conlan Kelly

Collins Honan O Donnell

happyh10 (Clare) - Posts: 78 - 15/07/2013 14:47:46    1432362

Link

What is so nonsensical about it?

McInerney was beaten for strength and in the air against Wexford both areas where Canning excels. You have get you strongest and best in the air defender on him. Leaving McInerney there could be described as nonsensical.

Donnellan has struggled a little of late in center back and Fitzy's reaction is to put Bugler in there. Why not leave him in there as you can be sure Galway will bring Canning out to center forward at some stage and Bugler would be the best to deal with him. Morey in for POC is a call that could be described as strange given POC has played very well this year but I would like to see Morey to give Galway something to think about from an attacking sense.

There is nothing nonsensical about playing Kelly and Galvin together in midfield. They know each other inside out and could run rings around the Galway midfield who have looked sluggish of late.

O Donnell has to start for his goals. I would put Podge in wing forward for his workrate (he plays there when he is named at corner forward anyway). I have picked McGrath to start mainly because I could see McInerney having more of an impact off the bench than him and as Limerick showed you need impact subs. I would also start Duggan as he draws so much attention from defenders even if he does field the ball that the breaking ball can be mopped up by runs from, in particular Tony Kelly.

I really dont see what was so nonsensical about my selection. It makes plenty of sense.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 16/07/2013 10:00:59    1433094

Link

in the league canning only got 1 point from play off davy mac, he is our fullback and thats where he will stay. how many times has dillon failed at fullback over the last few years?? he is currently playing the best he ever has for clare at corner back, so leaver him there.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 16/07/2013 11:03:52    1433157

Link

Dont bother comparing any league game to the battle that will happen on Sunday week. They are worlds apart

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 16/07/2013 11:53:16    1433232

Link

davy mac will have improved since then aswell

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 16/07/2013 13:22:32    1433371

Link

Guys ye have a strong enough first 15 but a weak 20.. Colin Ryan would be blown out of it against the bigger teams.. He's alot to prove as does McGrath.. Personally I'd say ye got a fair chance of beating Galway. Clare Limerick semi would be great..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1164 - 17/07/2013 15:17:31    1434592

Link

i think we have got some good subs, based on the team i would expect to start the next day the first 5 subs would be; nicky o'connell, seadna morey, conor mcgrath and 2 from these 3 cathal mcierney, aaron cunningham, conor ryan. i think mcgrath will be dropped for the next game. also its highly unlikely that it will be a clare limerick semi unless both clare and cork win. because if we win and cork lose then ye play kilkenny.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 17/07/2013 16:55:15    1434744

Link