Clare Forum

Clare Minor Hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yes we have great underage potential coming through but where are the backs and goalies. Its very obvious to all
Gaa fans from any county now that Clare Seniors have huge problems in the backline including the goalie.
Whats more alarming is not many are saying it out loud! When is it going to stop. Lost yesterdays game v Tip
mainly because of it and the 2 div 2 finals this and last year aswell as last years champship qualifier v Dublin.
Ard Scol Ris yes is doing well in colleges but Flannans are not. How ironic this is at a time when Clare underage is doing well!
Is there a fear that just like the nineties noone cared that Clare underage (with the exception of 97minors which was not built on
and which most never played for Clare Seniors) was not successful when the Senior Team were winning all irelands.
Is there now not a case that just because Clare are doing well at underage that Flannans are not successful (and they with their tradition
always was regardless how good or bad Clare was) We need Flannans winning Harty Cups and it hasnt happened now with years which indicates
to me that in the medium to lonmg term all is not as rosy as we think it is for Clare at underage and Senior.
Limerick are gaining out of Clareplayers going to school in limerick and giving their college Ard Scoil Ris success! Thats a disgrace and why is Ard Scoil Ris
being attended by Clare lads who choose to go there than go to Flannans in Ennis! NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Where is the pride. Clare should stick together.

Dalcassian2 (Clare) - Posts: 40 - 20/06/2011 16:08:10    961142

Link

Dalcassian2, the reason why some Clare people chose to go to school in Ard Scoil Ris rather than Flannans is surely down to location.
If you are living in Parteen/Meelick/Clonlara why the hell should you have to travel all the way to Ennis for school.

Flannans may not be winning Harty cups of late, but they've been there or therabouts for last 2/3 years and were unlucky to lose an epic semi-final to a very good Ard Scoil Ris team this year. Personally I think it's actually better for Clare hurling our players come from more diverse schools rather than majority coming from Flannans as it will expose players to more diverse training methods etc. (Of course that's provided the other schools are reasonably successful)

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 20/06/2011 18:01:43    961307

Link

Roashter:

Clare definately ahve the players comming throught future looks bring for them.

But on a side note can I maybe give a reason why Flannan's aren't winning as much, flannan's isn't a bording school anymore right or dosen't have the number of borders it used have?? also I don't think there isn't as much money been given to them (pat o donnell supported with funds in the past) in training and developement. Also when it was a big bording school flannans attracted players from other counties who studied there are played for them players from limerick tipp and galway i think these would have strenghtened the team along with strong clare players. That's why I think their not winning as much as they did??

Hag_and_Cheese (Tipperary) - Posts: 6103 - 20/06/2011 19:24:42    961374

Link

flannans had a very good team this year and were unlucky to lose to a very good ard scoil team. more importantly all the players are from clare which wasnt always the case. that asr team had also 4 very good players from clare. throw in st caimhins, who had a decent team, and a few other players like galvin,quilligan,o connell and deacy and you can see why the clare minor team are rated so highly. st kierans had 6 of last years minor team and they struggled to get over asr. and 5 of those players are overage this year.. it should be a good game on friday but ill be surprised if clare dont win..

asitstands (Galway) - Posts: 116 - 20/06/2011 21:43:39    961503

Link

Roashter I dont agree with you completely. If you are from Clonlara etc why not go to school in Shannon?
There are two secondary schools there! And what about Scariff and Tulla and Killaloe schools?
Get real going to limerick is a cop out and to me is a a bit pompus!
Stick to Clare if you a real Clareman with GAA ambitions for the Banner!
I agree if other schools doing well in Clare probably better than Flannans, but thats not a very accurate reflection of Clare
schools either! Isnt it better for Clare for Flannans to maintain its winning tradition and let other schools build around it from Clare
than loosing its tradition which itt nearly has done and then other schools in Clare not winning the Hart Cup!
You see the proof is in the pudding, traitors should not be allowed play for Clare if they dont count secondary schools in Clare
even Flannans good enough for them! It stinks! And ur take on it isnt helping and how many more of your likes is around!

Dalcassian2 (Clare) - Posts: 40 - 21/06/2011 15:58:01    962056

Link

This argument is a joke. You cant say you are not loyal to your county for going to school in Limerick. Flannans was traditionally a boarding school and to see them still do well now with just Clare players is a good thing. Ard Scoil has a reputation as a fine GAA academy let alone school and on that basis I would be more than happy for any Clare youngster to go to school there. Ard Scoils success this year was really a Clare -Limerick effort although admittedly more Limerick than Clare.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 22/06/2011 09:09:28    962552

Link

Anyone know if the clare tipp minor game is televised? If not I will have to make the trip from Dublin to it

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 22/06/2011 09:20:20    962560

Link

Clare minor team to play Tipp tonight:

Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle);
Jack Browne (Ballyea), Niall O'Connor (Newmarket), Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge);
Jarleth Colleran (St Joseph's) Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge), Gearóid O'Connell (Ballyea);
Colm Galvin (Clonlara), Tony Kelly (Ballyea, captain);
Eoin Enright , Cathal O'Connell (Clonlara), Peter Duggan ;
Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones), Oisín Hickey (Meelick), Shane O'Donnell (Éire Óg).

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 24/06/2011 09:01:37    964479

Link

Best of luck to minors tonight.I think they great chance of beating Tipp,they beat them and they Munster champions and AllIreland finalists last year but should be strong enough with some last year panel and players from Flannans and Ard Scoil Rios.It would be sweet victory to shut up one Tipp user in particular!.Ok some players go Ard Scoil but they still Claremen.All debate for years that Limerick city council want extend their boundaries into parts East Clare and thank god looks like not happening.That be worse our county invaded and annexed by Limerick and some of talented hurlers be taken by Limerick!A word congrats for intermediate team beating a fancied Cork team and into Munster Final,with bit luck could be 3 Clare hurling teams teams in Munster finals.
COME ON THE BANNER

claremaninkerry (Clare) - Posts: 92 - 24/06/2011 09:32:33    964500

Link

Clare up 1-8 to 8 points at half time.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 24/06/2011 20:15:57    965339

Link

CLARE 3-13 TIPP 1-13.Munster champions and All-Ireland champions through to another Munster final after comfortable win over a much fancied Tipp in their own back yard!Well done all players and management ,great performance Tony Kelly outstanding but all played well.We knew we good chance and have taken a point win as on in Thurles.Underage hurling is arguably the best we ever had it in Clare the future is bright and a few years time some these lads will join the u-21 and Fitzgibbon Cup players to have a senior.. team to win Munster and Allirelands .Well done enjoy yer night the long journey home wont feel long.Best luck in final.A Tipp user said we be beaten by 10 points!He at home wash the egg of his face !Whats the score Thurlesfool haha
COME ON THE BANNER

claremaninkerry (Clare) - Posts: 92 - 24/06/2011 21:18:22    965413

Link

3 16 TO 1 16 A VERY IMPRESSIVE WIN FOR CLARE TONIGHT WELL DONE

gerrymac55 (Waterford) - Posts: 16 - 24/06/2011 21:23:01    965418

Link

Up the Banner 3-13 - 1-13

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 24/06/2011 21:34:51    965428

Link

Dalcassian part of the reason Flannans were so successful in the past was due to players from outside Clare and its no coincidence since the influx of outside boarders has stopped that Flannans influence in the competition has weigned! You cant have it both ways to be fair. The last time Flannans won a Harty in 04 you has Seamus Hickey (Limerick) Shane O'Brien (Tipp) and Mark Moloney (Kildare, yes thats right Kildare) I know cos I was with Colaiste na nDeise in the final and Flannans had a super team the same year. Colleges hurling is for the pride of the school rather than the county, Ard Scoil Ris depend on some Clare players the same as DLS wouldnt have won 2 Harty & Croke cups without the south Kilkenny lads, St. Colmans depended on west Waterford lads aswell when they had a successful team. Pride of the county goes out the window at colleges level, lads would die for their teamates no matter where there from and thats what makes the colleges competitions so unique.

deisebhoy (Waterford) - Posts: 416 - 28/06/2011 12:35:04    969113

Link

am ya back in 2005 wen flannans won harty and all-ireland they had colin ryan,colm madden,james mcinerney patrick kelly,john conlan ciaran o doherty,ger arthur,conor tierney and bernard gaffney and they were all frm clare

fergalhegarty (Clare) - Posts: 62 - 28/06/2011 19:24:29    969782

Link

Conlon is half decent the rest arent worth talkin abt

deisebhoy (Waterford) - Posts: 416 - 29/06/2011 17:01:06    970689

Link

Conlon and Pat Kelly were unused subs on the 2005 harty side. Cian dillon didn't even make the harty panel

team for the Croke final was

Kelly
O'Doherty Moloney O'Donnell
Conor Neylon Hickey Hannigan
Ryan O'Halloran
Killeen Jack Neylon Madden
Arthur McInerney Gaffney

McInerney hurled full forward due to injury but was in the half backline for most of the year, Tierney lost his place to accomodate him. Hannigan from shannon rovers in tipp and hickey were the only outside men. O'Doherty, Moloney, Neylon & Ryan were all part of the 2009 all ireland winning panel as were a number of the subs

skidge (Clare) - Posts: 2 - 30/06/2011 10:11:48    971210

Link

Unreal.

I have been saying it since last January. This is the best minor team Clare have ever had. Even with an unfit captain - Tony Kelly, we were comfortable winners. Congrats to all in the panel. The future is bright for the Banner. Roll on Croke Park!!!

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 11/07/2011 13:47:22    980730

Link

Great win for Clare, easily the better team.
Left in a couple of late goals so it gives them something to work on in next few weeks. Hopefully we can go one better than last year.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 11/07/2011 15:24:44    980906

Link

Wait until ye meet Galway

bbilly (Galway) - Posts: 414 - 21/07/2011 12:44:49    991057

Link