Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

No fantastic result for Clare. They really came good in the end and I think they 'll improve again for the Limerick game. Alot of this Limerick team including Kiely have won in Ennis though in the under 21 final a few years back. It 'll be a real test of where both teams are. Huge incentive for Limerick to possibly play Cork in the Gaelic Grounds in the final and get one over on the Banner.
Cleary left the gate wide open a few times in the centre. Mis controlled the ball at least twice and threw the ball under no pressure once. Tipp got a handy score out of it.
Clare have some tremendous supporters but the are a small hard core. Clare is the worst supported county in Munster numbers wise. There isn't anybody going to deny that. Waterford has a smaller population and have more solid support. There wasn't Clare man at the Munster final against Cork last year ....about 10 to 1 in corks favour. There were about 5000 Clare supporters in Thurles Sunday according to Munster council officials that live near me which was a big improvement.
Clare will be outnumbered Sunday again at home but that won't win Limerick the game. Clare are my second team by the way and I'm looking forward to a classic.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 12/06/2018 15:21:03    2110573

Link

all that proves is that cork have a bigger bandwagon than clare!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 12/06/2018 16:39:45    2110607

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Limerick are a good side, with no obvious weaklinks, but I dont think they are as good as EVERYONE is saying. Hannon marking kelly could be the key to success for us, his shooting wont be as bad again as it was yesterday. hannon is a hurler not a defender, he will sit in the pocket (as any centre back would) kelly should exploit the space he will be afforded then.
i dont think there are any match ups that we should fear to be honest."
hexpert why dont you think this is a very good limerick side......derek mcgrath ( who i think is very shrewd ) says limerick are a serious side.....

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 12/06/2018 18:11:34    2110660

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "hexpert why dont you think this is a very good limerick side......derek mcgrath ( who i think is very shrewd ) says limerick are a serious side....."
Dont get me wrong, I do think it is a good side (as i have said previously). I just think the media and general hurling public are fawning over limerick a little too much at the moment.

Im not going to just talk limerick up like everyone else seems to be doing just because we are playing ye at the weekend. Its a young team, with a lot yet to prove. Limerick are playing well and the results back that up, but id just be a lot more cautious if I was a limerick supporter as previous limerick teams have flattered to deceive. I could be totally wrong and limerick could hammer clare on sunday, but - albeit with my saffron and blue tinted glasses on I fully expect Clare to win on sunday.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 13/06/2018 09:59:16    2110887

Link

any advice on where best place to park coming from limerick side?we will be in ennis early to support our minors.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 13/06/2018 12:37:43    2110992

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Dont get me wrong, I do think it is a good side (as i have said previously). I just think the media and general hurling public are fawning over limerick a little too much at the moment.

Im not going to just talk limerick up like everyone else seems to be doing just because we are playing ye at the weekend. Its a young team, with a lot yet to prove. Limerick are playing well and the results back that up, but id just be a lot more cautious if I was a limerick supporter as previous limerick teams have flattered to deceive. I could be totally wrong and limerick could hammer clare on sunday, but - albeit with my saffron and blue tinted glasses on I fully expect Clare to win on sunday."
limerick won't hammer clare but i think they will win......this limerick team have power and strength and loads of hurling......and theres no one getting carried away just calling it as they see it.....daithi regan was on off the ball and he was never a limerick supporter but he thinks this is a very very good team. maybe your thining that clare should have beaten us in the league and maybe ye should but this is by a long way a different limerick outfit now....

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 13/06/2018 13:39:16    2111027

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "any advice on where best place to park coming from limerick side?we will be in ennis early to support our minors."
Best place to park would be Ennis Mart,,,,,only a short walk to Town and pitch,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 13/06/2018 15:22:41    2111100

Link

Wonder if there will be any changes to team for Sundays match Limerick now a very technical team under Paul Kinnecr especially on puckouts.
Who will partner Colm Galvin probably will stick with Malone but should consider Jason McCarthy gritty hurler or Seanha Morey surely will have to get serious consideration also Ryan Taylor though lacking experience very good touch and speed Cian Lynch influence will have to be curbed.

Will they go with Podge and keep Conor McGrath in reserve who will pick up Graham Mulcahy ?

It will go down to wire id say

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 13/06/2018 16:40:25    2111145

Link

Well lads. Doese anyone know if terraces will be segregated on Sunday. Ive an East terrace just wondering if I can go to North or West terrace or will they be closed off?

Limerick__73 (Limerick) - Posts: 72 - 13/06/2018 18:08:29    2111189

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Wonder if there will be any changes to team for Sundays match Limerick now a very technical team under Paul Kinnecr especially on puckouts.
Who will partner Colm Galvin probably will stick with Malone but should consider Jason McCarthy gritty hurler or Seanha Morey surely will have to get serious consideration also Ryan Taylor though lacking experience very good touch and speed Cian Lynch influence will have to be curbed.

Will they go with Podge and keep Conor McGrath in reserve who will pick up Graham Mulcahy ?

It will go down to wire id say"
ger o connor talks a good game im sure he'll have a plan for kinnerks pucout stratagy......

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 13/06/2018 18:30:56    2111196

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Best place to park would be Ennis Mart,,,,,only a short walk to Town and pitch,,,,,"
A lot from Limerick will take the trains..stopping in Sixmilebridge for a few Clare supporters aswell.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 13/06/2018 18:45:15    2111204

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Wonder if there will be any changes to team for Sundays match Limerick now a very technical team under Paul Kinnecr especially on puckouts.

It will go down to wire id say"
id imagine the only change we'll see will be podge coming in for mcgrath. although the fact that cian lynch is hurling so well at midfield might possibly mean morey coming in to track him. malone doesnt look like being dropped to be honest, even though i would take him out.

its a possibility that morey could come in for mcgrath, with malone moving up one and reidy then moving up one as well. i do think we need to start podge though. ideally morey and podge for malone and mcgrath. but i dont expect that to happen.

jack browne i would assume will be marking mulcahy.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 14/06/2018 10:26:07    2111407

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "id imagine the only change we'll see will be podge coming in for mcgrath. although the fact that cian lynch is hurling so well at midfield might possibly mean morey coming in to track him. malone doesnt look like being dropped to be honest, even though i would take him out.

its a possibility that morey could come in for mcgrath, with malone moving up one and reidy then moving up one as well. i do think we need to start podge though. ideally morey and podge for malone and mcgrath. but i dont expect that to happen.

jack browne i would assume will be marking mulcahy."
H. E.
There is no guarantee Mulcahy will start on Sunday. In fact the way things are any two of that line could be easily replaced by Guillane and Peter Casey.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 14/06/2018 11:48:26    2111437

Link

fair enough, I was just responding to the question from Clooney. I doubt he will be dropped though the workrate he showed the last day combined with his experience in an otherwise young forward line i would think will ensure he starts again. not to mention his obvious scoring treat and pace.....

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 14/06/2018 12:39:50    2111466

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "H. E.
There is no guarantee Mulcahy will start on Sunday. In fact the way things are any two of that line could be easily replaced by Guillane and Peter Casey."
Limerick have fantastic depth now, casey, gillane, nash, mulachy, dowling, flanagan and murphy all good options in ff line and they have a powerful half forward line too. In fact their middle 8 is second only to Galway IMO.

I think Clare had something similar in 2012 to 2015 but with injuries, retirements and lads drifting away we now have a much smaller pool.

The key for Limerick is keeping them all happy as if lads aren't playing they can lose form or focus. Some will, its inevitable but I feel Limerick are going to be a powerhouse for the next 4 or 5 years.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 14/06/2018 15:15:09    2111525

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Limerick have fantastic depth now, casey, gillane, nash, mulachy, dowling, flanagan and murphy all good options in ff line and they have a powerful half forward line too. In fact their middle 8 is second only to Galway IMO.

I think Clare had something similar in 2012 to 2015 but with injuries, retirements and lads drifting away we now have a much smaller pool.

The key for Limerick is keeping them all happy as if lads aren't playing they can lose form or focus. Some will, its inevitable but I feel Limerick are going to be a powerhouse for the next 4 or 5 years."
clareman do you thin the clare backs will hold the limerick forwards.........that could be key..?

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 14/06/2018 16:00:44    2111547

Link

Love it , love it all ,really enjoying the banter from both camps . Can't wait for Sunday.
What ever about championship games those of us who witnessed our league battle in the Limerick earlier this year know the passion never say die in both these teams , nobody wanted to see that marathon classic end the way it did but it took 65s to separate them.
There's no doubt Sunday will be skin and hair flying with a massive portion of skill , luck and sheer determination all held within a packed cauldron. This is what it's all about.
Wish both teams luck , but especially Limerick obviously lol.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 64 - 14/06/2018 21:18:29    2111637

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "clareman do you thin the clare backs will hold the limerick forwards.........that could be key..?"
I know you addressed this to clareman, but anyway!! Clares backs wont hold all of limericks forwards, that is a certainty! but so too is the fact that limericks backs wont hold all clares forwards.

im just going to presume that gillane will return for dowling - Gillane gave patrick o'connor a tough time in the league meeting, i would have worried about this match up before pat o'connors performance last week, but id be more confident now. it could be the key battle of the 6! id have a slight worry with browne marking the pace of mulcahy to be honest. davy mac and flanagan should be an interesting battle, i think the element of surprise that flanagan had when he scored 6 points is now gone so davy will be well aware and should cope!
i have to admit i havent seen all of limerick games but from the outside looking in - kyle hayes appears to have been limericks poorest forward thus far! or maybe i should word it as least good??! anyway he has undoubted talent, and he could cause cleary problems down the middle id he gets on the ball in space. im not sure he's ideally suited to no.11 but sunday will tell a lot on this. I think morrissey and hegarty against shanahan and fitzgerald will be too really good battles. 4 big men - think overall they will break even! hegarty by the way is a hurler i really like this year, he's such an effective player! its hard to know exactly what clares match ups will be here but it should be even enough either way.

so basically munsterchamps your question is not answerable with a simple yes or no, one has to take each battle on its own merits.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 15/06/2018 10:42:53    2111740

Link

As i have been saying all week it isnt easy to come to Ennis and win. I tipped Clare because we have the players and home advantage and i was proved right. Limerick were very poor but the truth is our defenders won their battles. Our forwards were very good in the second half. Kelly was sublime. John Conlon continues his hurler of the year form. Simply superb.

Jamie shanahan was my man of the match though.

Limerick wrote us off as per usual ans got thought a lesson. This was a sweet sweet victory.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 17/06/2018 15:51:34    2112275

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "As i have been saying all week it isnt easy to come to Ennis and win. I tipped Clare because we have the players and home advantage and i was proved right. Limerick were very poor but the truth is our defenders won their battles. Our forwards were very good in the second half. Kelly was sublime. John Conlon continues his hurler of the year form. Simply superb.

Jamie shanahan was my man of the match though.

Limerick wrote us off as per usual ans got thought a lesson. This was a sweet sweet victory."
Lets just wait and see who is the final come August!!. Sweet sweet indeed!

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 237 - 17/06/2018 19:44:57    2112380

Link