Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "The fact is that this team are there for the taking so lets forget about this that and the other and concentrate on beating Tipp.

Tipps defenders are at 6s and 7s and are too slow. Our forwards can do serious damage. Conlon should do a number on Kennedy and O Donnell will be licking his lips at the prospect of playing against that Tipp full back line.

This game from a Clare perspective depends on our defenders as Tipp are very strong in attack. We cannot let John McGrath get the usual 5 points from play he seems to always get against Clare. We cannot let Noel McGrath kill us as he always seems to. If we can negate both these players, I believe we will win as Bonner and Callinan dont appear to be 100%.

Tough ask to beat Tipp in Thurles but if there was ever a chance then this is it."
clare have to beat tipp as its a backward step if ye don't this tipp tam are not playing well and if right was right they should have zero points after 3 matches......limerick beat them 6 when it should have been 10-12 points, cork blew a 9 point lead and waterford blew an 11 point lead..(granted umpire helped tipp get bk into the match.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 06/06/2018 12:31:09    2108024

Link

Well said. It's a positive attitude.Whilst Tipp will play hard the question has to be asked if Clare don't beat them now then under what conditions would they beat Tipp. The weeks break and and Tipperary hurling the worst out of all the Munster counties. I think Tipp aren't going to explode into form now as if by magic. They are on the precipice and just need a good shove.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 06/06/2018 16:24:01    2108120

Link

as one of the thousands travelling to ennis sunday week,which terrace is the west end?i always thought it was completely open when people entered the ground.also why is there an extra 5er on the price of terrace tickets for this game..i take it munster council want to make as much as possible out of the fixture,and are really screwing the people who have gone to all the games,this is the only sour point so far on what has been wonderful for hurling..if both teams win this weekend it should be brilliant sunday week.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 07/06/2018 15:31:48    2108417

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "as one of the thousands travelling to ennis sunday week,which terrace is the west end?i always thought it was completely open when people entered the ground.also why is there an extra 5er on the price of terrace tickets for this game..i take it munster council want to make as much as possible out of the fixture,and are really screwing the people who have gone to all the games,this is the only sour point so far on what has been wonderful for hurling..if both teams win this weekend it should be brilliant sunday week."
its a bit confusing as its on the Eastern side in my mind off the Grounds its straight across from the so called Stand on the Banks of River Fergus some call it the Brothers sids as Ennis CBS across River.

If we are beaten on Sunday id say it will be 1/2 empty but if its a game both have to win then expect fireworks

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 468 - 07/06/2018 16:37:31    2108439

Link

I think the east and west terraces are behind both goals. If they had let people know that a they were going to segregate then I would have got a North Terrace as it's along the side . Totally amature offering from Munster council on this one. If it's a sell out ...there'll be crowd problems. Toilets and stuff are awful aswell.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 08/06/2018 16:34:24    2108738

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I think the east and west terraces are behind both goals. If they had let people know that a they were going to segregate then I would have got a North Terrace as it's along the side . Totally amature offering from Munster council on this one. If it's a sell out ...there'll be crowd problems. Toilets and stuff are awful aswell."
Paddy POWER has CLARE at odds of 17/IO for teir game Sunday against Tioo. Yhese are great odds.Tipp look very dicy. I wil have a nice bet on Clare at those 0dds!!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 08/06/2018 17:49:05    2108763

Link

Hard to know how to feel really. Obviously delighted with the win but it was a strange strange game in that I thought we were terrible for the first 25 minutes, average for the next 35 minutes and good for the final 10.

I had zero confidence that we would win when we drew level as we had seen it time and time again where we get back into games and wilt.

This game will stand to us no end and we can now go and have a right cut off Limerick. I fancy us to beat anyone in the Park. What an electric atmosphere it will be.

I see lots of Limerick lads asking should the game be moved to Thurles or even the Gaelic Grounds to seat more...my answer to that is.........are you joking? What is the point of a home and away arrangement?

To be fair, if I was from Limerick or any county that is, I would not like to play Clare in Ennis. Lets make it 3 championship wins in a row against the Treaty.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1988 - 11/06/2018 02:00:39    2109680

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "as one of the thousands travelling to ennis sunday week,which terrace is the west end?i always thought it was completely open when people entered the ground.also why is there an extra 5er on the price of terrace tickets for this game..i take it munster council want to make as much as possible out of the fixture,and are really screwing the people who have gone to all the games,this is the only sour point so far on what has been wonderful for hurling..if both teams win this weekend it should be brilliant sunday week."
West is the town side terrace - left side of looking from the seated stand.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1988 - 11/06/2018 04:55:51    2109690

Link

Great win yesterday performance still needs big improvements if any silverware is to be won

Touhy & fullback line very good i thought half back line poor enough until Sheana Morey came in David Fitzgerald had another poor match and Shanaghan is good on ball but very loose the McGraths must love him.

Galvin tried hard @ midfield but Cathal Malone does not have enough hurling poor in air for his size i know you need
a bit of heft in the middle to help Galvin but unless he steps up a lot Cathal is not answer
As always Conlon and O Donnell gave it all though Conor Mc bit unlucky to be takes off, not a lot of ball went in
Duggan super on frees bar one 65 that he should have nailed worked hard and two super points at end to win there is a lot more in him he needs to deliver for us, it Reidy is not suited to wing pity he is not tried at corner.

Kelly remains an enigma two great points could have has 1/2 dozen

Subs made the difference so fair play to Management Podge Sheana Ian Galvin and Jason McCarthy all added a huge amount. Would like to see Deasy more mature player than Dara Corry.

A must win in Ennis now our own field we owe Limerick one wont be easy.

Great Clare crowd there yesterday

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 468 - 11/06/2018 09:35:03    2109738

Link

Great to finally get a win again in a tight championship game, its been a while since we won like that! Barely had a chance to catch my breath yet, what a frantic last 10 minutes that was. Knocking tipp out then makes it extra special.

Truth be told though we played very poor for the majority of the game, if tipp had been at the races they wouldve been out of sight by half time even! Having played poorly we were blessed to only be 4 behind at the break. Our shooting seriously let us down in that first half, kelly in particular having an off day.

peter duggan was outstanding and his frees kept us in the game. I also thought that pat o'connor had a huge game for us at corner back which was great as his place in the team was coming under serious pressure!

the bench made a huge impact - podge, morey and ian galvin obviously in particular. delighted to see podge back to his best - his score taking, workrate and setting up the goal were all great to see from him again. he has surely done enough to earn a starting place next weekend in place of mcgrath - who just seems to be lacking sharpness or confidence at the moment. i think morey and ian galvin will be kept in reserve again.

next weekend should be a great battle with a full house in ennis, apparently there will be more limerick supporters than clare at the game!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 11/06/2018 09:45:51    2109745

Link

Good reflection hurlingexpert

Great day for this team and management

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1038 - 11/06/2018 11:04:15    2109808

Link

what a humdinger now to look forward to.ennis packed to rafters,2 teams who give everything.most players know one another through college,great friends but not until after 4 next sunday.think there will only be a puck of a ball between them again.yesterday was a huge result for ye,and has set ye up nicely for a crack at us and an all ireland.the subs made yesterday made huge difference for clare especially collins and morey,so ye have a few big decisions like limerick on starting 15.id hope we might catch ye,re corner backs but feel ye might target our fullback line.this could produce another classic and be very high scoring.quick question,with the crowd expected where would one be best to park?i havnt been at a sold out ennis ina long,long time.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 11/06/2018 11:43:46    2109855

Link

Limerick are a good side, with no obvious weaklinks, but I dont think they are as good as EVERYONE is saying. Hannon marking kelly could be the key to success for us, his shooting wont be as bad again as it was yesterday. hannon is a hurler not a defender, he will sit in the pocket (as any centre back would) kelly should exploit the space he will be afforded then.
i dont think there are any match ups that we should fear to be honest.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 11/06/2018 12:48:30    2109914

Link

It was a smash and grab yesterday!! We only hurled for about 15 mins in total but we showed great heart and fight and for once, we got the job done in a close game.

I thought the backs overall defended well and fought hard, David Fitz is struggling for form but he will be needed against that powerful limerick half forward line. Our subs made big impacts which was great to see as too often we dont utilize our bench enough.

the park will be packed, a massive limerick crowd will travel, i cant wait.

i love Clare v limerick games, so let it rip and may the best horse jump the fence!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 11/06/2018 15:46:02    2110020

Link

I think there's going to be a huge battle between limericks huge half forward line and Clares halfbacks. Cleary is abit dodgy at times but the two wing backs are good. I reckon there'll be a big Clare crowd at the game. Could be up to 8000 from Clare at it which would be huge for Clare.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 11/06/2018 18:21:46    2110155

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I think there's going to be a huge battle between limericks huge half forward line and Clares halfbacks. Cleary is abit dodgy at times but the two wing backs are good. I reckon there'll be a big Clare crowd at the game. Could be up to 8000 from Clare at it which would be huge for Clare."
I DONT think it was especially difficult to forecast Tipp was a ''dicy team'' to rely on.and was glad to have a substantial bet on Clare. THANKS to all who were nice enough t send akind note of congratulations.Now Ihave noticed Power has Clare at II/IO TO BEAT LIMERICK, and since these aregenerous odds, I Think I will parlay my winnings on to clare .I just cant see Limerick beating them in ENNIS

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 11/06/2018 22:24:57    2110282

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Limerick are a good side, with no obvious weaklinks, but I dont think they are as good as EVERYONE is saying. Hannon marking kelly could be the key to success for us, his shooting wont be as bad again as it was yesterday. hannon is a hurler not a defender, he will sit in the pocket (as any centre back would) kelly should exploit the space he will be afforded then.
i dont think there are any match ups that we should fear to be honest."
I think Limerick management will have more of a plan for Kelly then just letting hannon look after him. Limerick hunt in packs and I'd imagine when Kelly gets ball hell have half backs, midfielders and maybe even a sneaky half forward converging on him. That does create space though and Kelly is a man who could exploit it.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 952 - 12/06/2018 05:28:26    2110353

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "what a humdinger now to look forward to.ennis packed to rafters,2 teams who give everything.most players know one another through college,great friends but not until after 4 next sunday.think there will only be a puck of a ball between them again.yesterday was a huge result for ye,and has set ye up nicely for a crack at us and an all ireland.the subs made yesterday made huge difference for clare especially collins and morey,so ye have a few big decisions like limerick on starting 15.id hope we might catch ye,re corner backs but feel ye might target our fullback line.this could produce another classic and be very high scoring.quick question,with the crowd expected where would one be best to park?i havnt been at a sold out ennis ina long,long time."
Do what we always do,, Organise a bus,,,,, no hassle with parking,,,,We heading to Hyde park.......

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 12/06/2018 08:37:40    2110368

Link

blackspot - thats a fair point, it will be interesting to see what the plan is!

peggyshin - when exactly or in what way is cleary dodgy?

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 12/06/2018 14:27:10    2110533

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I think there's going to be a huge battle between limericks huge half forward line and Clares halfbacks. Cleary is abit dodgy at times but the two wing backs are good. I reckon there'll be a big Clare crowd at the game. Could be up to 8000 from Clare at it which would be huge for Clare."
half the crowd in thurles on sunday was clare so thats at least 10k.

You really cant post without some dig, you aren't a previous poster under a new name by any chance?

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 12/06/2018 14:51:28    2110553

Link