Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Whereas for ourselves then what id go with is - 1Touhy 2McCarthy 3McInerney 4Browne 5O'Connor 6Cleary 7Fitzgerald 8Galvin 9Morey 10Shanahan 11Conlon 12Duggan 13O'Donnell 14Kelly 15McGrath

Would be harsh on reidy to be honest. i think o'connor is better suited to the wing. mccarthy could be perfect for the corner. morey at midfield could offer so much as well. 3 half forwards who are all very good hurlers and capable of winning their own ball. we need to try something different with kelly, 14 could be very appealing for him."
It is hard luck on Waterford being without Paudi O Mahoney & Austin Gleeson its a make or break year you feel for them is say everything not rosy in camp but we should remember the year in Thurles Anthony Dalys first year as manager they hammerted us back out the road they have talent no doubt its win or bust for us thought so Grade A performance

Personally Reidy would be near last player that i would drop tried it last year it caught us.
Pat O Connor may have a blinder on Sunday but his pace is suspect as already said many times Tony Kelly has to be involved an awful lot more in play whether its our style of play or himself not getting best out of him comparing him with Tj Reid no comparsion nowadays, hurler of year & young Hurler in 2013 he has not moved on, should be in contention at this stage, for one of greatest hurlers ever hasen't happened yet brilliant in flashes.

Like hurling expert i would like to see him in full forward line for at least some time on Sunday, would love to see a couple of digional balls sprayed at him ay 100 mile an hour, might cause havoc he is the type of player you would nearly send centre back for a spell to bring him into the game .

I have watched so many Clare management teams stick with first 15 for all or nearly all off game, almost terrified to make a change, compare this with Cody he will whip off 2/3 players in first half and wont even look at them coming off, we may not have huge depth in talent on the line but if a player hasent done it in 50 minutes i doubt that he will explode into game some might many don't so try the bench McCarthy Corry Deasy Ian Galvin Ryan Taylor Podge if fit might offer something especially when legs are tiring why else do we have a panel.

Simply cant afford to lose this one i will be hoping Tipp win in Thurles that will even it all out

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 468 - 24/05/2018 11:38:46    2103508

Link

The problem I see with Reidy is that its hard to know where to play him. he is being accommodated at wing forward at the moment and its not getting the best out of him and its not advantageous to the fluidity of team as a whole.
I think he's a little light at midfield, particularly against waterford because they will crowd that area. corner forward i think is the best place for him, kind of playing in a withdrawn role, similar to the position podge would generally like to occupy when he is on the pitch.
if mcgrath doesnt step up this weekend then id place reidy in the corner going forward!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 24/05/2018 12:37:05    2103529

Link

Good day in Ennis yesterday Minors started us off well diden't see them in Cork but saw all match lovely skilled team two corner forwards a joy to watch touch & skill scoring on run.

Finally the management can see what all followers of Club & County have known for so long JOHN CONLON AS FULL FORWARD and we are a different team.
So strong and such streetwise experience he terrorised Waterford full back line Shane O Donnell too but some of the others not exactly setting World on fire.
For second game in row Conor McGrath struggled Malone who did withdraw some what hardly noticeable what he did in game & Peter Duggan little enough impact as well. For the time he was on Deasy looked composed and skillful on ball which is hardly surprising as he was one off best club hurlers in Country in 2016 so we should see a lot more off him hopefully next day as we will need a range of scorers.

Backs did ok but sweeper system shielded them Pat O Connor's pace will be exploited v Tipp

Podge looked lively too good to see him on

Finally on how tickets were allocated I was off opinion that you bought your ticket €20.00 in centra and it first come first served was in Ennis early wasent allowed into Stand numerous people there with small children there was war with stewards WERE WE MISLEAD by Cusack Park ?

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 468 - 28/05/2018 09:32:23    2104541

Link

I agree that pat o'connor is not the quickest, but I dont think he will be caught for pace against tipp. the likelihood is that he will be marking one of callanan, john mcgrath or bubbles. none of whom are exceptionally quick.
none of the tipp forwards bar bonner maher have real pace.

I was very satisfied with yesterdays win/ performance. everyone seems to be saying that waterford were very poor but that in my opinion is unfairly taking away from clare.

John Conlon again was immense, scored 1-3 and set up or was fouled for another 1-5. He has been top class in our first 2 games and that playing 2 different positions in those games just shows the quality of the man.

Shanahan is such a classy hurler, it was great to see him in the team. always seems to take the right option and is so accurate in both his shooting and passing.

kelly and galvin really started to dominate when the game opened up after the red card - which by the way I think was harsh!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 28/05/2018 10:14:31    2104587

Link

Good win for Clare. Conlon was a collossus again and his form is so consistently good. Kelly was good and his finishing is improved from earlier in the year. Galvin is immense. His passes are like Pirlos.
However Waterford were poor and the injuries absolutely killed them. The Tipp-Clare game could be a cracker. I just hope Clare don't give Tipperary too much respect. Clare seem to be in awe of Tipp and let them play. Limerick just try and sow it into them and go at them physically. It gives you a chance when you physically match them. I think Clare owe them one and Thurles should suit ye.
Management were abit better yesterday. The team was more focused. Jury is still out though. Can't wait for the Limerick v Clare game in Ennis.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 28/05/2018 14:59:26    2104800

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "Good win for Clare. Conlon was a collossus again and his form is so consistently good. Kelly was good and his finishing is improved from earlier in the year. Galvin is immense. His passes are like Pirlos.
However Waterford were poor and the injuries absolutely killed them. The Tipp-Clare game could be a cracker. I just hope Clare don't give Tipperary too much respect. Clare seem to be in awe of Tipp and let them play. Limerick just try and sow it into them and go at them physically. It gives you a chance when you physically match them. I think Clare owe them one and Thurles should suit ye.
Management were abit better yesterday. The team was more focused. Jury is still out though. Can't wait for the Limerick v Clare game in Ennis."
Clare are the team to beat in 2018,,,,, minors hurlers not bad either..... two very classy teams........

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 29/05/2018 00:15:26    2105122

Link

Where is Cathal McInerney these days ? Also its scary to think of the fire power Clare woud have if Bobby Duggan, Aaron Shanagher and Aaron Cunningham were all available

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 29/05/2018 06:39:15    2105138

Link

Replying To stekhli:  "Where is Cathal McInerney these days ? Also its scary to think of the fire power Clare woud have if Bobby Duggan, Aaron Shanagher and Aaron Cunningham were all available"
Too many injuries & dual commitments with Club i dont think the shadow of player he once was Cunningham & Duggan travelling Shanagher still injured

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 468 - 29/05/2018 08:56:48    2105152

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Clare are the team to beat in 2018,,,,, minors hurlers not bad either..... two very classy teams........"
Yes in Munster, Clare are the main threat, but of course Galway will retain the All Ireland in a canter-nobody to touch them.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 29/05/2018 12:38:04    2105237

Link

Yeah its fair to say that Galway at the minute look like the one standout team around. They are the ones to beat.
There is nothing then between clare, limerick tipp, cork, wexford, kilkenny. I have left out waterford as they are decimated by injuries and it will be very hard for them to progress. dublin also having lost 2 dont look like getting through while offaly are cut adrift as the worst of the lot.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 30/05/2018 10:04:23    2105498

Link

Good win on Sunday even though waterford were not in a great place and their injuries killed them but clare hit hard and were up for the fight. Great to see.

We must get something in thurles because there is a fair chance we will be out of it before limerick come to town June 17th.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 30/05/2018 13:48:02    2105599

Link

Well if we dont win in thurles (which will be extremely difficult) we need cork to beat limerick next weekend!

Something I never thought id be doing was shouting for cork!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 30/05/2018 14:33:34    2105622

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Well if we dont win in thurles (which will be extremely difficult) we need cork to beat limerick next weekend!

Something I never thought id be doing was shouting for cork!!"
i think all teams will beat waterford so the 2 most important matches over the next 2 weekends is limk and cork this sat night and clare and tipp sun week.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 30/05/2018 15:17:02    2105634

Link

Good point from munsterchamps - A win against Waterford now looks fruitless as all teams will beat them.

I still feel Clare V Limerick will be knockout. Cork are hurling very well and are at home against Limerick (Cork to just win that) and Tipp will be back on track when Clare play them in Thurles in a couple of weeks.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1038 - 31/05/2018 13:58:10    2105976

Link

Ban - I dont see how you can say a win against waterford is fruitless. a win means 2 points. out of a potential maximum of 8, 2 is massive!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1818 - 31/05/2018 16:23:52    2106028

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Ban - I dont see how you can say a win against waterford is fruitless. a win means 2 points. out of a potential maximum of 8, 2 is massive!"
missing the point everyone will get 2 pts from waterford so they are fruitless.......its the other 3 counties you'll play will count.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 31/05/2018 17:53:00    2106058

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "missing the point everyone will get 2 pts from waterford so they are fruitless.......its the other 3 counties you'll play will count."
Yes fully agree. Clare's season comes down to drawing or beating Tipp. Clare lose and season is over.......after next week....dont be buying your ticks for round 4 just yet....could be a wake. Tipp season likewise coming down to that game in Thurles next Sunday. Tipp win or out of championship

Tippsdrivefor5 (Tipperary) - Posts: 10 - 03/06/2018 12:14:44    2106713

Link

Wouldnt write off Waterfrord yet,,,, they no bad team,,,Clare are the team to beat ,,,,, as Malloney said wait until we start banging in the goals,,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 03/06/2018 12:55:29    2106722

Link

Replying To Tippsdrivefor5:  "Yes fully agree. Clare's season comes down to drawing or beating Tipp. Clare lose and season is over.......after next week....dont be buying your ticks for round 4 just yet....could be a wake. Tipp season likewise coming down to that game in Thurles next Sunday. Tipp win or out of championship"
Be nice to see Tipp coming a cropper today . It would really be a boost to all the rest of Munster to see Tipp having to bring the Ham sandwiches to picnics instead of the Hurling

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 03/06/2018 15:28:18    2106774

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "missing the point everyone will get 2 pts from waterford so they are fruitless.......its the other 3 counties you'll play will count."
How now?

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 03/06/2018 21:39:02    2107062

Link