Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Id imagine the majority of people will drive to cork or get the train, so I dont care if the only bus that goes down is the team bus.
That was a poor attempt at winding us up to be honest.

Anyway in looking at the fixtures, this game could literally make or break our season. If we win this, we would be confident of winning both our home games then. Which would put us through regardless of what happens in thurles.
Whereas if we lose it will put huge pressure on us going into the home games. This game is massive!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 17/05/2018 09:29:58    2101601

Link

It was a good attempt at winding you up and it worked. I'm only pulling your leg and I'm sure those supporters that do travel will be the real genuine fans. I remember 95 in Thurles, Clar2 outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 but the Clare support that were there were exceptionally passionate and the tears flowed.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 17/05/2018 11:30:30    2101649

Link

Very disappointed with the loss today. We didnt play decent at times, but just didnt do enough.

Most of the talk seems to be about how we were over comcerned about going for goals rather than taking points. I have no problem with the team putting this greater emphasis on going for goals, but our execution of it was just not quiet good enough. But i have no doubt that will come in the next few games.

I was delighted for john conlon, he gave an excellent display today.

I think we have a problem with peter duggan, i think he is worth his place in the team but full forward is not his position. He had never delivered from that position, in the limerick game in the lesgue his 2 points from play came from the half forward line. I would move him to the wing, put reidy into the corner and put shane o'donnell to full forward.
I think cathal malone has to play to his strengths, he hit 2 terrible wides today. But he was much more effective when laying it off to the scoring players.
We need to cery quickly find a way to get kelly on the ball far more often!!

The waterford game is now a must win game or else our year will effectively be over!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 20/05/2018 23:18:58    2102470

Link

Disappointing day by the Lee yesterday will struggle to qualify a must win in Enns next Sunday too many players did not perform and we are not too flush with options on the Bench either.

Donal Touhy our best keeper but has to be much smarter on puck outs digging in a bag for a sliother several times when David McInerney among others had made good runs
Pat O Connor should have been replaced earlier lack of pace
Conor Cleary solid display cool under pressure distributed well
Jack Browne caught rotten for Horgans flick for the goal way too casual deft shoulder should have put Horgan over line
David Fitzgerald got a crack on puckout was only fair i thought thereafter
David McInerney super catch great hurler did ok
Seanha Morey seems to have gone back a lot never seen him hooked before or watching over his shoulder for the hook needs to let ball go
Colum Galvin good outing was tiring but i woulden't have taken him off
Tony Kelly stall an enigma brilliant at times but goes out off game we need him on song so badly
Cathal Malone very poor how he wasen't replaced I cant figure out
John Conlon the postman as always a warrior carried the game to them
D Reidy only so so might be better in corner
Shane O Donnell superb missed a few but carried the fight all day
Peter Duggan diden't fire worked hard and broke a bit of dirty ball but will be very disappointed with display i thought that it was a big call to replace though others should have gone before him
Conor McGrath its almost frightening to suggest that he might be finished definite loss of pace i think made no impression

O Malley when he cae on added a bit of zip he is very light though

Doubt that there will be much changes for Sunday but in the backs i think Pat O Connor and Jack Browne might be under scrutiny Dillon & Jason McCarthy will be pressing hard
Good as Tony Kelly can be we need somebody in midfield like Corks Dara Fitzgibbon with a super engine maybe Malone with Kelly to half forward line.
Peter Duggan at centre forward and John Conlon to full might be an option or maybe Shane O Donnell full
I wonder was Podge injured yesterday might have added a bit of fire Dara Corry diden't make much impression but is
tall and strong.

Also Niall Deasy we haven't seen him get any real game time but he is good on high ball and very accurate should have been brought in for Cathal Malone yesterday after half time.

Under 17s did ok but sending off critical lack of discipline crazy

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 21/05/2018 10:29:09    2102557

Link

Hard luck yesterday. Clare just aren't as clinical as Cork. There was a great chance to push on after drawing level and it was Cork who did the pushing.
Conor McGrath was poor again and he has to come under pressure. I though McInerney and Clery were good but Kelly seems to only play when there's 10 mins left in a game. Galvin was his usual economical self and Conlon was super. Ye are missing the 2 Shannon Aarons big-time and need a corner back. Still the next game is in Ennis and Waterford will be cold.
Jury has to be out regarding your 2 managers. They talk a good game and make all the right noises about recovery ect but they are rubbish on the sideline.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 21/05/2018 10:41:23    2102565

Link

a fair post peggy, would agree with most of that. There is an old saying...take your points and the goals will come!

Limerick were excellent and deserved their win. Too much focus on tipps failings as opposed to the fact limerick out played them.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 21/05/2018 11:31:06    2102591

Link

To be honest limerick are a good side, but i think they are very overrated! In saying that on current form they would beat us.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 21/05/2018 13:27:46    2102637

Link

A major problem we have aswell is depth in our panel. I think there are only 2 or 3 players we can bring in that are up to standard ie. McCarthy, Shanahan and possibly dillon and podge, but their best days may be behind them. I would have mccarthy & shanahan starting the next day but its unlikely! i think shanahan needs to be used in the half forward line as he is a quality hurler and we serious lack depth in that line. id have himself conlon and duggan in that line for waterford. then mccarthy into the backline. morey and o'connor need to be swapped around i think...

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 21/05/2018 14:33:33    2102663

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "A major problem we have aswell is depth in our panel. I think there are only 2 or 3 players we can bring in that are up to standard ie. McCarthy, Shanahan and possibly dillon and podge, but their best days may be behind them. I would have mccarthy & shanahan starting the next day but its unlikely! i think shanahan needs to be used in the half forward line as he is a quality hurler and we serious lack depth in that line. id have himself conlon and duggan in that line for waterford. then mccarthy into the backline. morey and o'connor need to be swapped around i think..."
You may well be right about panel but the management might have have to take a leap of faith and try a number of subs because starting 15 have failed once again to win a championship game and Cork were no world beaters.

McCarthy should be tried in the backs and yes Shanahan in half forward line though John Conlon was vital in half forward line yesterday i think he should go full forward always a huge threat there he is smart under dropping ball and created vital breaks remember how Cunningham got brace of goals V Kilkenny in League & Limerick in Championship when John was on brow of square. Cian Dillon is an option of course and it would be unfair to judge him on a few minutes of blood sub yesterday he looked sluggish enough.

Big struggle now to qualify

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 21/05/2018 15:54:24    2102706

Link

There's a significant lack of self believe in the team. Forever coming up short in tight Championship games.

Its a scary stat - Not one win against a decent side in Championship since 2013. (I overlooked the Limerick wins as they were very poor sides the beat - different beast now)

In previous years they would have to wait 4/5 weeks before the next game. I think they are a momentum team and a win this Sunday may do wonders for them. Here's hoping.. Waterford will come into Ennis like a train

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 22/05/2018 08:09:25    2102872

Link

i wouldnt have terrible faith in yere management.......i remember them actually saying not sure which one...that paul kinnerk was the brains of their operation going bk a few yrs to minor and under 21 days....

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 805 - 22/05/2018 13:31:17    2103005

Link

I posted here earlier but for some reason it has not shown up.

Basically my post was that Clare are 2 or 3 players short of the top teams. Primarily a man marker in the fb line and also a wing back, but also another strong powerful forward who can score to help out Conlan. Duggan and Malone dont carry that kind of threat. Shanagher would be an option but he needs to improve his hurling.

Also, Sunday was our 9th defeat in championship since 2013 and our 7th by 5 points or less. The other 2 defeats were by 7 and 6 v Waterford and Galway in 2016.

This to me says 2 things, firstly we are not far away from the big boys but that extra step is tough to breach and secondly, we are mentally weak in the last 10 mins of games.

We have bags of heart and guts, but the coolness and calm needed ins lacking, and we can be very naive.

Sunday is pivotal for this mgmt team and some of the 'older' players on the team, if you can be old in 20s!

We need massive games from our main 5 or 6 players to help us get through.

Hon The Banner.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 22/05/2018 14:12:08    2103017

Link

Very disappointing start to this new style format. I thought Clare would relish a team like cork but they missed too many chances and as said above, seem to be a player or two short for the this season

doyler5 (Limerick) - Posts: 44 - 23/05/2018 02:58:44    2103171

Link

Yeah look I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that we are short 2 players. If we had paudie maher and tj reid at 6 and 11 we would be unbeatable.
Alas we have to make do with what we have and in my opinion we have the players to produce better results as we have done in the last few seasons. We are not far away as clareman has said but when it comes down to it we are lacking that real hunger and desire to get us over the line. Maybe with a lot of players having already one an all ireland thats why they may be lacking that drive.
No team other than codys kilkenny has shown that desire to come back year after year. that just shows the genius of cody more than anything.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 23/05/2018 09:37:20    2103194

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Yeah look I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that we are short 2 players. If we had paudie maher and tj reid at 6 and 11 we would be unbeatable.
Alas we have to make do with what we have and in my opinion we have the players to produce better results as we have done in the last few seasons. We are not far away as clareman has said but when it comes down to it we are lacking that real hunger and desire to get us over the line. Maybe with a lot of players having already one an all ireland thats why they may be lacking that drive.
No team other than codys kilkenny has shown that desire to come back year after year. that just shows the genius of cody more than anything."
I am its like crying over spilt milk but we haven't been over lucky Colin & Conor Ryan gone way too early Oisin O Brien injured both Aaron Shanagher & Cunningham Domhnaill O Donovan Bobby Duggan Gearoid O Connell all history now

Players we have need to contribute a lot more as one previous poster said Peter Duggan & C Malone no where near the threat that they should be neither ever seem to come out off a ruck with ball Peter does an amount of chasing players who are somebody else's responsibility he has nailed the freetaking but the hour has surely come he has to deliver and be consistent not tidy enough for full forward put him at 11 i think on last Sunday he tried one line ball dident come off either was told not to try again or lacked confidence but he haden't a go after that we don't have better so he has to come good.

Malones striking & decision making are awful is he worth his place ? poor enough in air too

Tony Kelly is out of game for long periods amazing when in possession what is the answer do you pick him at 13 with lisence to roam and partner Galvin with Reidy Malone or Possibly Duggan who could move up for our own puckouts

I would like to see Jason McCarthy Started at corner back

Touhy
Jason McCarthy
Cleary
Morey
Dillon
McInerney
Fitzgerald
Galvin
Reidy
Ian Galvin/Deasy
Duggan
Shanaghan
Kelly
Conlon
Shane O Donnell

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 23/05/2018 11:39:03    2103228

Link

I would go with:

touhy

browne
mac
morey

shanahan (should be spare man if wtfd play sweeper, good on the ball)
cleary
fitz

mccarthy
galvin

duggan
kelly
conlan

reidy
sod
mcgrath

kelly to roam where we wants and reidy to drop in around 11 with the 2 lads inside. We have to factor in the sweeper so accurate fast hurling is key as we cant bomb balls long like tipp or galway did v the sweeper in recent times as we dont have 6 giant forwards.

Mcgrath needs a massive game or else his future as a starter will have to come into question.

I will put my head on the block and say the pain and frustration of the last couple of years will tell and Clare will deliver a big win.

An Clar Abu

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 23/05/2018 13:33:57    2103265

Link

A massive physical challenge expected from Waterford and the last 2 team suggestions here drop Malone!

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 23/05/2018 16:49:29    2103337

Link

Malone alone wont be able to stop stand up to them. We must move the ball fast and around the waterford players.

Malone is honest and hard working, but his hurling is poor, any honest Clare fan going to games knows this. Cork wouldnt pick him. They picked Kearney, used him as a 3rd midfielder and he reeked havoc againist us.

If he plays, and scores 4 points, I will be delighted but i dont think he has a point to his name in 4 championship games to date...

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 23/05/2018 17:24:29    2103346

Link

Well waterford are without 2 huge players for them this weekend, no austin gleeson or pauric mahony are 2 massive blows to waterford. Gleeson wouldve apparently been playing center back in this game. waterford without those 2, off the back of a defeat, must win game, playing at home - if we dont win this we might as well give up!!

Their team id expect to start would be;

o'keeffe

fives
coughlan
connors

de burca

gleeson
fives
mahony

barron
moran

brick
st.bennett
dillon

curran
shanahan

Tom Deine actually will probably start and it could be in place of any one of that forward line. none of them are guaranteed starters!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 24/05/2018 10:25:36    2103473

Link

Whereas for ourselves then what id go with is - 1Touhy 2McCarthy 3McInerney 4Browne 5O'Connor 6Cleary 7Fitzgerald 8Galvin 9Morey 10Shanahan 11Conlon 12Duggan 13O'Donnell 14Kelly 15McGrath

Would be harsh on reidy to be honest. i think o'connor is better suited to the wing. mccarthy could be perfect for the corner. morey at midfield could offer so much as well. 3 half forwards who are all very good hurlers and capable of winning their own ball. we need to try something different with kelly, 14 could be very appealing for him.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 24/05/2018 10:48:30    2103483

Link