Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Clareman:  "After yesterday, I feel our 2 biggest problems now are now finishing clinically and coughing up soft frees.

We caught some great ball at time yesterday and competed very well. Waterford wanted it more as they hadn't won at Walsh park in nearly 3 years and need some confidence before the relegation game.

I would still think that Jamie Shanahan is in our best XV. Jack Browne is the nearest thing we have to a tight tough typical corner back. He has been solid this year so far, im just worried about his pace in the summer. POC is struggling a bit for me.

I know its a wild call, but I would like to see Cian Dillon given a go at wing back and david fitz moved to half forwards, i feel he is such a powerful hurler than he would add a lot to our attack. Pity it wasnt done yesterday.

I think we did lose a chance to experiment more yesterday and v Wexford but overall i think we have done well.

The spine of 1,3,6, 8 and 9 are now set. Hopefully they can keep it going for the summer.

I agree Clooney, I would have Conlan in full forward.

Limerick next, they are on a roll so it will be good to get a good hard game. Win or lose, this is what the team will need before the summer."
Very attractive match V Limerick next Sunday @ gaelic grounds winner v Tipp or Dublin thats a real carrot leading into Championship.

It will be a good measure of where we are at we had a good league few points off Wexford & Waterford bit lack of physicality I think it should be our championship team bar 1 or 2 so no excuses we must stand up.

Watching Kilkenny v Wexford on TV last night Michael Duignan also commented on it the work rate and spirit of Kilkenny plus that the fact that Wexford butchered a few first touches that won them the game but if we can bring this work rate to our game in Clare we wont be far off hopefully.

Has Cian Dillon rejoined the panel thought that he is due back bout now ?

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 12/03/2018 15:17:07    2083973

Link

So it looks like we've gone with what appears to be out best team.

I think this is a game we need to win - and we need it more than limerick i think!

Limerick have already achieved what they set out to do in the league which was qualify for 1A.

After 2 losses for outselves it'll be important for us to start winning again. Limerick will find it hard to come back down from the high of last week. Plus with them still missing all the na piarsigh players - its a game we really should win and need to win.

Our group of players have played a lot together so far this year and there should be some partnerships and understandings being developed week on week which we should see the benefit of on sunday.

This understanding is particularly important between the goalkeeper and fullback as well as the 2 corner backs. So its good to see that being persisted with.

Its unusual for a team to have a settled 15 at this stage of the year but i suppose every county has a different approach with the new structure this year so hopefully this strategy works well for us as the year progresses!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 16/03/2018 21:04:15    2084982

Link

Very poor game so far in the Gaelic grounds. Scrappy and slow, maybe limerick want to slow Clare down with lots of stoppages from late hits.

doyler5 (Limerick) - Posts: 44 - 19/03/2018 16:33:48    2085876

Link

Clare were very unlucky this afternoon.With less than two minutes to go while leading by a goal the Clare forward shot for a goal and it was saved when he could have taken a point which would have defiinitel y won the game. All the players did well,and Duggan and Kelly were 0utstanding. Come to think of it, it may be good for the team to get a break in preperation for the long hot summer.!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 19/03/2018 22:28:32    2086049

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "Clare were very unlucky this afternoon.With less than two minutes to go while leading by a goal the Clare forward shot for a goal and it was saved when he could have taken a point which would have defiinitel y won the game. All the players did well,and Duggan and Kelly were 0utstanding. Come to think of it, it may be good for the team to get a break in preperation for the long hot summer.!!!!!!"
You could hardly claim the fullback line did well?

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 20/03/2018 01:25:18    2086085

Link

Well that was a crazy game!! We looked beaten at 60 mins, then had it won a few times but still managed not to win. Time keeping by ref was a joke but I suppose we got a few extra seconds in 2013 AI so cant complain!

It was a good tough game, will stand to both teams. Positives were that Tony Kelly is now hurling very well in his best position which I have said all a long. 6 points, set up a few, won frees and gave in good ball. Also hooked, blocked and worked like a Trojan until he cramped. Peter Duggan also gave a fantastic display of free taking, point scoring, fighting for the ball and team play. Mac and Fitz in half backs hurled well but also made some silly errors at key times.

Our full back was under the cosh through out, but battled manfully and caught some great ball, but they lack speed and with our very offensive half backs, they get little cover. I think Morey needs to go back into the corner, his pace is best suited in there and I feel he lacks the height and power for wing back. Shanahan's ball striking and passing was a serious upgrade when he came on. Cian Dillon for me is also an option there.

Galvin and McGrath were poor and their workrate was not up to scratch. Morey tried hard but another bad game from him. Malone fought hard but his shooting is chronic at times. Conlon, Reidy ok, SOD fought a great battle as always, he must be the most fouled man in hurling and gets littled reward. We need to support him n duggan more as they are our focal points and we need runners off them. Only Kelly seems to be able to read the play. Good to see a few subs get game time but they should have got more throughout the league.

Come summer, the make up and performance of our backs will tell the tale. Still a lot of work to do in this regard.

This league has some good positives in that we have a settled goalie, 3 and 6 are settled if not perfect, Kelly is in his est position, duggan has added power and frees to the team but we need to fix defending and also look to create more goal chances.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 20/03/2018 09:42:24    2086109

Link

Not given to posting on other counties pages but find it hard to remember anyone having an impact on a game that Peter Duggan did yesterday. Obviously free taking was immense but his overall play was outstanding. He topped it all off with a very gracious interview. Class act on and off the field. Hope he is appreciated amongst his own

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 689 - 20/03/2018 10:50:30    2086154

Link

Our full backline was under serious pressure all day - particularly patrick o'connor had a tough time on aaron gillane. I wouldnt be too critical of him though or browne and cleary - as they got little cover from the half backs as has already been mentioned here.
I thought fitzgerald was easily in our 3 best players yesterday with duggan and kelly. He loves to get forward from wing back and he was involved in 4 or 5 points. But it does leave the full backline exposed.

If we look at each goal in isolation - for the first goal gillane has to be given credit for doing extremely well in winning the ball and finishing.

The second goal was terrible! Firstly giving the ball away loosely and then a forward being left all alone inside.

The third goal was unfortunate as pat o'connor fell after tangling with the forwars and lost his hurley.

The fourth from the free wasnt even a free in my opinion. Harsh decision but touhy wouldve been disappointmented not to keept it out.

So although its never good to concede that many goals i think theres only one that serious failt defensively cam be found with.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 20/03/2018 12:42:04    2086212

Link

Also, on Limerick, i think they are a coming force and they have a great chance in next few years of landing the big one. They have some issues to fix, like all teams do, but overall there is a a good group of players there. I like the cut of their half back line, and if they can find a partner for lynch in the middle, plus they have Casey n Dempsey to come in, thats a serious team and they have a bench.

Also, well coached. I have to say i thought both managers post game n the players spoke well. No sore loser or gloating. A fine game and fair play to Limerick. I hope they win the league now. Ennis in June will be a great day out!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 20/03/2018 14:04:30    2086239

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Our full backline was under serious pressure all day - particularly patrick o'connor had a tough time on aaron gillane. I wouldnt be too critical of him though or browne and cleary - as they got little cover from the half backs as has already been mentioned here.
I thought fitzgerald was easily in our 3 best players yesterday with duggan and kelly. He loves to get forward from wing back and he was involved in 4 or 5 points. But it does leave the full backline exposed.

If we look at each goal in isolation - for the first goal gillane has to be given credit for doing extremely well in winning the ball and finishing.

The second goal was terrible! Firstly giving the ball away loosely and then a forward being left all alone inside.

The third goal was unfortunate as pat o'connor fell after tangling with the forwars and lost his hurley.

The fourth from the free wasnt even a free in my opinion. Harsh decision but touhy wouldve been disappointmented not to keept it out.

So although its never good to concede that many goals i think theres only one that serious failt defensively cam be found with."
It has to be disappointing to love yesterday in that Limerick were without 10 additional panel members perhaps 3 to start their bench /panel far better that ours i think sadly we have not the greatest of cover the 2 Wolfe Tones lads are serious loss this year. Cian Dillon back in Ireland will be an addition I think as one poster mentioned here Seanha Morey should revert to corner back Pat O Connor to wing and maybe Cian Dillon as wing back that would release David Fitzgerald further up the field bit of a risk maybe but worth considering
Your top players have to be consistent and yesterday some off our players were off the pace Conor McGrath really hope he rekindles his fire Cathal Malone has a good league but some off his hurling is woeful not as good in air as he should be more an athlete would he be better at Center forward.
Jamie Shanahan where would you play him ?? would be great link man in forwards and can catch & score.

We depended too much on Tony Kelly & Peter Duggan yesterday

It seems like we are stuck with this short puck out now like football awful tactic IMO
No sour grapes but i though referee awful very inconsistent and at least 3 pulls by Limerick players would merit red from some referees if you give a reckless pull around the head area its a red for me whether accidental or not

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 20/03/2018 14:14:48    2086243

Link

Fahey is Clares best goalie , ,, Mcinerney full back ,,, Fitz. centre back,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 21/03/2018 00:21:57    2086493

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Fahey is Clares best goalie , ,, Mcinerney full back ,,, Fitz. centre back,,,,,"
Switching Davy Mac into full back is only robbing Peter to pay paul and while I agree he would be the best choice for full back, he's also the best choice for centre back. Fitzgerald at centre back wouldn't be dependable enough for a full blooded championship campaign imo. He's still a young player, id nearly prefer Cian Dillion if he was fit.

The only changes needed for championship is Duggan to be in the half forward line, conlon beside him and give the goalie some big men to hit the ball to.

doyler5 (Limerick) - Posts: 44 - 23/03/2018 01:31:11    2087153

Link

This is what id like to see for championship:

1Touhy
2O'Brien (injured for the league but i rate his man marking ability very highly, a better option than jack browne i would think)
3Cleary
4 Morey
5O'Connor
6McInerney
7Fitzgerald
8Galvin
9Kelly
10Shanahan
11P.Duggan
12Reidy
13O'Donnell
14Conlon
15McGrath

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 23/03/2018 09:52:12    2087181

Link

Oisin O Brien and Gudgie have left the panel.

I agree doyle,r at this stage i d leave David Mac at 6. Its time we stopped messing players around, galway stuck with their choices at 3 and 6 and it eventually paid off.

Congrats to Shane O Donnell, a fantastic academic achievement. There is more to life than hurling.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 23/03/2018 11:02:12    2087206

Link

Clareman i actually had not heard that they left the panel! Any idea why?

Congrats to Shane indeed, he'll be missed next year. But its an unbelievable opportunity that he has to take

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 23/03/2018 13:39:38    2087249

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Clareman i actually had not heard that they left the panel! Any idea why?

Congrats to Shane indeed, he'll be missed next year. But its an unbelievable opportunity that he has to take"
From what I read Shane could rejoin panel for Championship will miss league but perhaps with opportunities available to him in USA you would be not too confident of seeing him again.
Tactically driven management deprived of seeing the best of him after 2013 he gets double marked fouled so often hope he will end year in style anyway play him near goal with Conor and a ball winner.

Pity to hear that players have gone off panel but its a big commitment if you are not getting game time but we can ill afford any losses .

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 23/03/2018 16:18:04    2087281

Link

I think the management have to shoulder some responsibility for the two boys leaving. They didn't rotate the squad as much as they could have during the league. By giving the guys a game they could have prevented this. They are a big loss to a smallish panel.
For me Pat O Connor will struggle with the pace of summer hurling this year. And Conor McGraths pace is gone too. It's down to legs for the both of them. They've great hands and heads in today's 'helter skelter ' thsts not enough.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 25/03/2018 10:13:49    2087622

Link

Replying To clooney:  "From what I read Shane could rejoin panel for Championship will miss league but perhaps with opportunities available to him in USA you would be not too confident of seeing him again.
Tactically driven management deprived of seeing the best of him after 2013 he gets double marked fouled so often hope he will end year in style anyway play him near goal with Conor and a ball winner.

Pity to hear that players have gone off panel but its a big commitment if you are not getting game time but we can ill afford any losses ."
I understand the course in Harvard is for a year and then he is back to UCC for a PHD so he will be back playing for Clare.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 26/03/2018 05:27:03    2088074

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I think the management have to shoulder some responsibility for the two boys leaving. They didn't rotate the squad as much as they could have during the league. By giving the guys a game they could have prevented this. They are a big loss to a smallish panel.
For me Pat O Connor will struggle with the pace of summer hurling this year. And Conor McGraths pace is gone too. It's down to legs for the both of them. They've great hands and heads in today's 'helter skelter ' thsts not enough."
We are light on numbers so anyone leaving is an issue but this happens in every county.

I understand O Brien leaving was to take a year out to get his injuries sorted. That is sensible imo. I dont know the circumstances around O Connell.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 26/03/2018 05:30:16    2088076

Link

Gearoid felt he wasn't getting a fair crack of the whip. I think he had a point, he has never started a league game for league yet he has been thrown into the first round of the munster championship twice and then binned very quickly.

A lot of lessor players have got more game time IMO.

O 'Brien left due to injuries.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 26/03/2018 13:11:34    2088259

Link