Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think its incredible really how much touhy has improved. We have pretty much all agreed here for the past few seasons that he is our best shot stopper but he was poor in other areas such as distribution, decision making and aerially! But this year he looks so assured and solid its fantastic to see. The way he is playing now, he is up there with the best around..

I would think either deasy or cathal malone will be starting no.10. Right now its hard to choose between the 2 but i would just give deasy the nod marginally. The reason for this is i think he has a little bit more hurling than malone and he is more adept at catching contestable high balls. He also looks a lot leaner at the moment than he did duing ballyeas run last year - so he's obviously working very hard.

Its also great to see players like deasy coming through. He was on the panel for the 21s for 2 years but never played. Usually that would mean he would never have gotten the chance to play senior. But its fantastic to see a player coming through after impressing so much as club level. It gives a lot of club players in Clare an awful lot of hope that they could emulate him.

I think we need to see a lot more from peter duggan as well, we all know how talented he is. But he has been missing a few scorable frees and goes missing in games as well. A lot of ball was directed his way against cork and not much came of it. I like the idea of him at full forward but as has already been said here i think we might be better off with conlon in there!

It hasnt been spoken of a lot to be honest, but shanagher is a huge loss for us this year. His aerial ability, strength and goal scoring instinct are massive benefits at full forward when he plays. It would also have allowed us to use both duggan and conlon in the half forward line.

Anyway it gives deasy a huge opportunity in the team (inadvertently) in his place. So hopefully he can be a hugely important player for us this year! If he gets the nod ove malone that it

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 23/02/2018 11:14:10    2079415

Link

Hex, Shanagher a loss but he is very one sided and also got bottled up a lot last year. I hope he recovers fast and works on his right side and his first touch but I think with deasy n duggan his loss wont be that severe. He is very young so hopefully he can bounce back fast. Crucibles are a terrible injury.

For me, SOD, Conlon n Mcgrath should be the full forward line, with Duggan, Deasy/Malone and Reidy in half forwards.

Touhy is going well and long may it continue. I think we still have issues at corner back n make up of half back line but at moment things overall are going well and we now have minimum of 3 games to try out new players or players in different positions/combinations. The work of the first 3 games has allowed us to experiment which is great. I would make 3 or 4 change max though, not wholesale as we need to keep some stability in selection.

Another thing I have noticed is that Kelly is now letting the ball go a lot more into the forwards and not shooting crazy as he did a lot last summer. He still hit 2 bad wides v Cork, but he scored 2 beauties and set up a lot of scores. Also, both him n galvin are letting it go a lot faster now. If you have big men up front you can do that sometimes, whilst also going short to likes of reidy, morey n fitz bombing forward. I think its called heads up hurling by the pundits, but it makes since, play what is in front of you.

I'm still sore over the Munster final loss last year, I feel we blew a great chance with rubbish negative tactics, so I hope this year the lads play their natural game and if that's not good enough, then fair enough, but at least give it a lash.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 23/02/2018 11:50:17    2079433

Link

Good afternoon all. First post of the year so hope 2018 is going well for you all so far.

I am happy so far with Clare's league performance and obviously there are some highs and lows but Galvin, Mc I, poc, Reidy and seadna morey have started well and the goalie situation seems sorted thankfully.

Kelly needs to sharpen up his shooting even more and get more involved come championship as I think he is the best player in the country on his Day. Shane o Donnell gets punished each game so I think I echo what's been said above and put Conlon inside. I'm also delighted jack brown is getting a good go.

What does everyone think of the team today?

I think it will be close to our starting 15 come championship but I would switch kelly in obviously and make room for Fitzgerald.

doyler5 (Limerick) - Posts: 44 - 25/02/2018 13:53:58    2079979

Link

Deserved win for Wexford. Took over in midfield and we had no reply. Missed Kelly and Fitzs pace and energy and when galvin went off we were fairly snookered. Podge form is very worrying. Also, we didnt have same workrate today that we had last 3 games.

Still though, battled hard til the end and cleary and mac were solid in the key positions of 3 and 6.

I would experiment a bit next Sunday and then pick a strong 15 for 1/4 finals.

from the 4 games ive seen, there are 4 spots up for grabs, 1 corner back, 1 wing back and 2 in half forwards if conlan plays at 14. if he plays at 10 or 11 then there is a spot in FF line.

Jamie Shanahan, Ian Galvin hopefully will get some game time soon and Conor McGrath hopefully gets his form back. On his day he is top class corner forward.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 25/02/2018 21:16:35    2080237

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Deserved win for Wexford. Took over in midfield and we had no reply. Missed Kelly and Fitzs pace and energy and when galvin went off we were fairly snookered. Podge form is very worrying. Also, we didnt have same workrate today that we had last 3 games.

Still though, battled hard til the end and cleary and mac were solid in the key positions of 3 and 6.

I would experiment a bit next Sunday and then pick a strong 15 for 1/4 finals.

from the 4 games ive seen, there are 4 spots up for grabs, 1 corner back, 1 wing back and 2 in half forwards if conlan plays at 14. if he plays at 10 or 11 then there is a spot in FF line.

Jamie Shanahan, Ian Galvin hopefully will get some game time soon and Conor McGrath hopefully gets his form back. On his day he is top class corner forward."
Perhaps should not read too much into yesterdays result were already safe & qualified but we were bullied by the lack of space the smaller players suffered most.
Only John Conlon carried the fight in the forwards our free taking is still a bit erratic wont do come championship if its not rectified but he can get them from outrageous distances then miss a simple one.

With Kelly Fitz McGrath O'Connor to come back as well as Shanahan Hayes Dillon Flanagan ect to rejoin panel we will have a lot more cover.

Wexford has made a lot of progress but he wont go away from sweeper so will have limited success Waterford new challenge should give more game time to a few others on panel

The real good news came from the footballers having beaten Down if we beat Logh will have a great chance of staying up.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 26/02/2018 15:16:25    2080565

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Perhaps should not read too much into yesterdays result were already safe & qualified but we were bullied by the lack of space the smaller players suffered most.
Only John Conlon carried the fight in the forwards our free taking is still a bit erratic wont do come championship if its not rectified but he can get them from outrageous distances then miss a simple one.

With Kelly Fitz McGrath O'Connor to come back as well as Shanahan Hayes Dillon Flanagan ect to rejoin panel we will have a lot more cover.

Wexford has made a lot of progress but he wont go away from sweeper so will have limited success Waterford new challenge should give more game time to a few others on panel

The real good news came from the footballers having beaten Down if we beat Logh will have a great chance of staying up."
I think the size of the pitch had a negative influence for Clare on the final result for Clare.AND consistently pucking out the ball to a six foot tall Weford back was ridiculous>.Why did the management not give instructions to alter that.And the ref. did Clare no favors. But watching many of the games yesterday,one would have to say the officiating at the present time is a disaster.whethe it is running extra yards, throwing the ball instead of passing it with hand,picking he ball off the ground, there seems to be no consensus among refs. as to that the rule really is. It is high time to call a meeting of all refs. together to discuss matters with them.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 26/02/2018 16:20:27    2080612

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "I think the size of the pitch had a negative influence for Clare on the final result for Clare.AND consistently pucking out the ball to a six foot tall Weford back was ridiculous>.Why did the management not give instructions to alter that.And the ref. did Clare no favors. But watching many of the games yesterday,one would have to say the officiating at the present time is a disaster.whethe it is running extra yards, throwing the ball instead of passing it with hand,picking he ball off the ground, there seems to be no consensus among refs. as to that the rule really is. It is high time to call a meeting of all refs. together to discuss matters with them."
Officiating had nothing to do with the result.

Clare were off the pace and rightfully beaten. Wexford are a team on the up and difficult to play in their patch. We should all know that Davy has his teams chomping at this time of year and more often then not they fade as the year goes on. The result is no surprise.

The only surprise as I can see it is that management did not make more changes for the game. The game meant nothing to us so why in gods name did Conor Cleary start having played the day before in the Fitzgibbon. Absolutely ridiculous.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 27/02/2018 04:47:38    2080820

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Officiating had nothing to do with the result.

Clare were off the pace and rightfully beaten. Wexford are a team on the up and difficult to play in their patch. We should all know that Davy has his teams chomping at this time of year and more often then not they fade as the year goes on. The result is no surprise.

The only surprise as I can see it is that management did not make more changes for the game. The game meant nothing to us so why in gods name did Conor Cleary start having played the day before in the Fitzgibbon. Absolutely ridiculous."
It was Conor Cleary own request to start not the management I honostly think that you can never make more than 1 or 2 changes to a team I cant recall Kilkenny ever making a host of changes to a team for the sake off it.

We are going well but still a bit off a work in progress we need more from N Deasy P Duggan Dara Corry in the forwards

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 27/02/2018 08:52:59    2080836

Link

Cleary asked to play so you cant blame management. You cant also blame the ref, we were beaten fair and square.

The only thing about sunday that annoyed me wa s how mgmt didnt move o malley off o connor until 6 balls were loss, right in front of them, that was bonkers.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 27/02/2018 10:02:37    2080841

Link

I wouldnt be overly disappointed with the result on sunday, firstly with kelly and fitzgerald missing - was going to make it a tougher game. plus wexford were never going to be easily beaten in wexford park.

galvin was a big loss too, he has been really good for us so far this year.

the way i see it mcgrath will come back into the team in place of podge. maybe theres something going on that we dont know about but its strange that he didnt make any appearance at all the other day. i think if theres no issue - he should come in for podge.

i think either deasy or cathal malone need to step up and clain the no.10 jersey as it is there for the taking. Darragh corry is an option too but he has a little bit more ground to make up. there player i would like to see there is jamie shanahan - he was one of the best hurlers in the county last year playing wing forward for sixmilebridge.

id like to see jason mccarthy get another go as well against waterford and also gudgy o'connell deserves a start.

id like to see bobby duggan and tots o'connell but they seem to be out of the picture!!!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 27/02/2018 21:20:52    2081094

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Cleary asked to play so you cant blame management. You cant also blame the ref, we were beaten fair and square.

The only thing about sunday that annoyed me wa s how mgmt didnt move o malley off o connor until 6 balls were loss, right in front of them, that was bonkers."
Of course you can blame management - it was there decision regardless of what the player said. Sometimes players dont know whats best for themselves from a welfare perspective, but in this day and age management teams should know better than allowing a player to play 2 games in 26 hours at such a high level especially when the county game was for all purposes a dead rubber fixture.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 28/02/2018 05:54:42    2081148

Link

I think Bobby, Tots and Cathal Mac can offer a lot off the bench in the summer, they are are accurate hurlers and it really is a 20 man game on any given day.

I think Cathal Malone has really stood up in the last 12 months. His hurling has improved but its his graft and workrate that are his best attributes. Deasy and Duggan have more hurling but they are not as mobile. I think we could see Deasy as an impact sub as well come summer.

I would like to see Cian Dillon also get a run at wing back, he is better in the half backs, good hurler and also big and strong. Diarmuid Ryan is a big prospect but I think he is a year away from making it, but worth a run in a league game if his exams allow it. Only a young lad doing his leaving cert, which has to come first.

Getting the balance and blend right will be key for Clare this summer. Anything other than an AI Semi final for me is a failure. We need to get back to the top table, no excuses.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 28/02/2018 17:00:11    2081285

Link

You guys have a great prospect in Diarmuid Ryan. He's picked up another Harty cup medal in the best Hurling school in Munster over the past decade. Fantastic kid.
Just a mention on Clare's wing foward conundrum. Its a toss up between Deasy and Malone but I don't think either one is a top of the ground player and will struggle come championship. Shanagher is a much much better player than either one, he's a big loss.
Wexford bullied Clare. Some big men in that Wexford team and Clare's Achilles heel of not being able to dominate aerially in the half backs will haunt them time abd time again.
Overall Clare are motoring fairly well but I can't see where the extra gear that is needed in summer will come from. They are just at a certain level and not top class. I hope I'm wrong and Clare storm through Munster come May

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 02/03/2018 15:14:56    2081596

Link

David Fitzgerald and Jamie Shanahan didnt play against Wexford, both are good aerially and both had excellent games last year v tipp. Throw in David Mac and that is not a not a bad trio. Shanahan isnt the fastest but he is tough nut.

People are reading too much into the Wexford game. The same as that Clare aren't miles better than KK or Cork based on the 2 games we just won, we are hardly miles off Wexford. I was at the game and Clare just seemed to lack hunger, but Cathal Malone, Jack Browne, Conor Cleary, John Conlon and Davd Mac were our best performers and certainly were not bullied. Clare were already through and took the foot off the gas, which is not a good thing, but hardly criminal.

Im tired of lazy opinion and anaylsis based on people watching 5 min highlights or reading online reports. Go watch the games and provide accurate analysis, which is welcome, as opposed to usual auld cliches.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 04/03/2018 18:00:59    2081826

Link

Jusging by Donal Moloneys comments in the clare champion last week about cathal malone, it would appear that malone is almost a shoe-in for a starting position - he seems to be massively impressed with how far malone has come in the last year and the leadership he showed against wexford.

I think deasy has not quiet done enough to leap frog malone.

Shanahan as i said before really has to get a game against waterford. Question is where? Wing back/midfield/wing forward?! Id like to see him at wing forward anyway!

And as i previously said i hope mcgrath comes back in and makes an impression.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 06/03/2018 14:17:24    2082209

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Jusging by Donal Moloneys comments in the clare champion last week about cathal malone, it would appear that malone is almost a shoe-in for a starting position - he seems to be massively impressed with how far malone has come in the last year and the leadership he showed against wexford.

Shanahan as i said before really has to get a game against waterford. Question is where? Wing back/midfield/wing forward?! Id like to see him at wing forward anyway!

And as i previously said i hope mcgrath comes back in and makes an impression."
Well I think we can be satisfied with the team selected.Since it will make no difference if we lose, some more experimentation would have been o.k. At least Waterford picked Dungarvan for a venue,and not Fraher field. I will never forget having to play there . It has to be absolutely the worst venue for a game in the entire country and it still gives me the shivers!!!!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 06/03/2018 17:15:16    2082260

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Jusging by Donal Moloneys comments in the clare champion last week about cathal malone, it would appear that malone is almost a shoe-in for a starting position - he seems to be massively impressed with how far malone has come in the last year and the leadership he showed against wexford.

And as i previously said i hope mcgrath comes back in and makes an impression."
Malone is a definite starter come championship time and given Deasy's performances in the league he would need a big improvement to see any championship time

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/03/2018 01:12:13    2082366

Link

Interestingly we have selected what is mow becoming our settled team.
With the exception of colm galvin coming in for his brother ian - that would look to be what management consider to be our best team this year!

I thought a bit of experimentation might have been good, but obviously the management really acknowledge the importance of building cohesion within the team.
I suppose due to the fact that the management have worked with the majority or these players at underage they know what all of them can do at this stage and obviously feel this selection had righted the wrongs of last year.

Im happy with this approach they are taking, my only concern would be that this group or 15 will be overworked - considering the new format this year.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 08/03/2018 22:09:46    2082824

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Interestingly we have selected what is mow becoming our settled team.
With the exception of colm galvin coming in for his brother ian - that would look to be what management consider to be our best team this year!

I thought a bit of experimentation might have been good, but obviously the management really acknowledge the importance of building cohesion within the team.
I suppose due to the fact that the management have worked with the majority or these players at underage they know what all of them can do at this stage and obviously feel this selection had righted the wrongs of last year.

Im happy with this approach they are taking, my only concern would be that this group or 15 will be overworked - considering the new format this year."
I think its the right way keep consistency build for championship all big teams do that Kilkenny always did

This team have got 5 big games to make their mark so cant have any excuses if they dont nail their place we need more work rate from some players and almost 100% consistency on frees from Peter Duggan wont do missing 50 -70 metres frees.

If you count in the following players we have at least some cover

Cian Dillon
Rory Hayes
Paul Flanagan
Jason McCarthy
Mike O Malley
Jamie Shanahan
Niall Deasy
Ryan Taylor
Aaron Shanagher ( should be back for August)

Aaron Cunningham is a loss too as he was a real goal poacher

Not to sound boring but I really believe that John Conlon will have to go to full forward I know that he is the go to man nearly always on half forward line but he has always caused major trouble @ No 14 with McGrath & O Donnell in and around him could be as god as Tipp FF Line

The Management are a lot more consistent this year another year older, another year wiser

The Footballers in Ennis is a most attractive game to go to a win here and we are getting nearer to shore after that game Jamie Malone will be back

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 09/03/2018 09:26:03    2082870

Link

After yesterday, I feel our 2 biggest problems now are now finishing clinically and coughing up soft frees.

We caught some great ball at time yesterday and competed very well. Waterford wanted it more as they hadn't won at Walsh park in nearly 3 years and need some confidence before the relegation game.

I would still think that Jamie Shanahan is in our best XV. Jack Browne is the nearest thing we have to a tight tough typical corner back. He has been solid this year so far, im just worried about his pace in the summer. POC is struggling a bit for me.

I know its a wild call, but I would like to see Cian Dillon given a go at wing back and david fitz moved to half forwards, i feel he is such a powerful hurler than he would add a lot to our attack. Pity it wasnt done yesterday.

I think we did lose a chance to experiment more yesterday and v Wexford but overall i think we have done well.

The spine of 1,3,6, 8 and 9 are now set. Hopefully they can keep it going for the summer.

I agree Clooney, I would have Conlan in full forward.

Limerick next, they are on a roll so it will be good to get a good hard game. Win or lose, this is what the team will need before the summer.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 12/03/2018 10:15:07    2083828

Link