Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Not one for visiting other counties pages dint like it when it happens on Limerick page but wanted to come on to say congrats to Clare on a fantastic year. When you consider that you have such a small panel to get to within a score of an All Ireland final is a fantastic achievement. Well done to Moloney and O Connor fantastic tactics and a well trained team. Clare died with their boots on. You can't asked for any more. As fans you can be proud.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 689 - 05/08/2018 20:54:27    2129651

Link

Great performance out of Clare today, ye deserved to and probably should have won today-glad we're playing Galway now rather the yourselves in the finalas Clare's energy and freshness would be the same as ourselves. Anyway it's good to see the the large Clare following again-some call it hype but it's colourful and adds to the atmosphere and the enjoyment-and I know it doesn't mean much right now but Clare has improved so much in 12 months their right back in the mix again for All Ireland
PS.thanks for softening up Galway, hopefully we'll finish them off

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 350 - 05/08/2018 21:41:48    2129694

Link

Congrats to Clare for their massive contribution to the hurling year '18. The year of years for hurling and Clare's contribution to it has been very important.
Clare hurling going in the right direction. Small margins meant that Clare didn't finish Gaillimh off.

Shane O'Donnell is a weird and wonderful talent.
Don't think anyone foresaw in '13 that by '18 he would be a more influential Clare player than Tony Kelly.
Hopefully Kelly will be back to his best in '19.

I think a key thing for Clare over the next couple of years is to find good lads to push through from 17s and 20s to top up the current excellent crop.

Anyway fair play again - An Clár Abú!

beirbua (Limerick) - Posts: 167 - 05/08/2018 22:46:29    2129741

Link

Before i head off for my annual hibernation, i want to wish Limerick the best in the final. I hope and think they will win it. We had Galway on the ropes in both games and couldnt finish them but i think they will.

The only thing left to say is that i am extremely proud to be a Clare man today. We had a great championship - this team has given us a great season and brought a love for hurling back to the county. Thank you Donal, Gerry and lads.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 05/08/2018 23:27:14    2129759

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Before i head off for my annual hibernation, i want to wish Limerick the best in the final. I hope and think they will win it. We had Galway on the ropes in both games and couldnt finish them but i think they will.

The only thing left to say is that i am extremely proud to be a Clare man today. We had a great championship - this team has given us a great season and brought a love for hurling back to the county. Thank you Donal, Gerry and lads."
Don't be such a bad loser and congratulate the AI champions. Galway would have comfortably last week (and more so this week) if the referees were not so biased towards Clare. I said on the Galway page that Clare had very bad minded and bitter supporters and you epitomise them!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2259 - 06/08/2018 03:52:15    2129826

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Don't be such a bad loser and congratulate the AI champions. Galway would have comfortably last week (and more so this week) if the referees were not so biased towards Clare. I said on the Galway page that Clare had very bad minded and bitter supporters and you epitomise them!"
I don't see how he was being a bad loser by wishing Limerick well and saying he thought Clare had a bad championship? Just because he didn't say congratulations to Galway doesn't make him a bad loser

Gavin94 (Limerick) - Posts: 77 - 06/08/2018 10:06:36    2129882

Link

Hard luck yesterday. The result could have gone either way. I thought Brown would be under a lot of pressure but he showed he was more than capable both days.

Clare have a good team and have shown why ye were 2013 winners. Good luck to ye next year.

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 06/08/2018 10:24:49    2129887

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Don't be such a bad loser and congratulate the AI champions. Galway would have comfortably last week (and more so this week) if the referees were not so biased towards Clare. I said on the Galway page that Clare had very bad minded and bitter supporters and you epitomise them!"
I dont feel like your ridiculous comment to me even warrants a response or my energy but at the same time I posted here yesterday I wrote the following on the Clare V Galway thread in the national forum (check it out if you dont believe me):

Congratulations to Galway.

I am bitterly disappointed as I thought we had ye in the closing stages but lady luck turned against us with the Shanagher rebound hitting the post and Duggan failing to clear the defender from the free.

Well done and congratulations from your neighbours. We will be back next year you can be sure about that.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1916 - 06/08/2018 05:57:30

Is that enough for you?

Its one thing being a bad loser but after winning you come over here trying to stir us up and have a go? That says an awful lot about your character. You are certainly not representative of general Galway huring fans who are in general very gracious in defeat and victory just like I am.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 07/08/2018 04:18:37    2130286

Link

Over the 2 games we never led in the 70 mins so you have to say Galway deserved it. That said, Clare had chances both days to win it and failed to take them.

Now isnt the time for analyzing stuff in detail, lets let it calm down give the players time to relax. Overall a good summer, we went toe to toe with all the big teams, had some good wins and ran the champs to a point over 2 games.

It will be some final, but Limerick have a right chance. They will be underdogs but they have 22 oe 23 good players whilst galway probably onyl have 18 or so, but Galway have 4 or 5 of the best hurlers in the land so any interesting contest.

Tommy K, I dont understand your post? Where is the bitterness you see? This isnt a forum for peddling tiresome old cliches, either contribute or stay away.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 07/08/2018 09:16:49    2130301

Link

I thought that i would not be disappointed but actually gutted no disrespect to Galway but we butchered so many chances 19 wides 1 gimme goal chance missed frees brutal start misused sweeper diden't push up on puckout's only a point in the end.
If we had drawn level i feel we would have won in extra time we looked much fresher Galway as usual booing referee maybe missed disgraceful tackle on Aron Shanagaher before end RED CARD.
Too many off our players were off their game on the day lack off consistency and not enough scoring forwards either once John Conlon who {looked injured} was tied down only SOD carried the fight and to a lesser extend Duggan & Podge
Ian Galvin made big impact again and so did Shanagher he really will have to improve high right side striiking if he struck when he got ball off his right into turf it was a certain goal.

Rory Hayes did really well when introduced had a crazy wide Jamie Shanaghan good hands distributes well but lacks pace should be placed in club position at Centre forward. Why was Jason McCarthy not brought in instead of Mikie O Malley ?
For next year will have to try release David McInerney to centre back.

One or two positions to be filled and we are real deal have to say we have some off the most beautiful hurlers in game

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 07/08/2018 09:24:14    2130306

Link

Sunday was so disappointing, it was such a hard one to take. But we did have a good year and have definitely made strides forward!

The poor start, wides tally, shanaghers goal chance - there were such small margins in it! Although in saying that we were very poor throughout the first half and to be honest i think we were blessed to be only 6 down at half time!

I think our management deserve a of credit, although I think playing galvin as a sweeper was an incorrect decision. It was simply not going to work a second day in a row against galway.

There has been a lot of criticism of tony kelly since the game. The thing people have to realize is even when tony is at his best he is not someone who wins his own ball. he revels in open space, coming onto breaks or receiving a pass to score . He wasnt given the space on sunday so that is credit to galway. our supporters have to realize the type of player kelly is before criticizing him.

overall i am optimistic about next year, having shanagher back 100% will be a massive boost and i was impressed with rory hayes when he came on - apart from his silly wide. if he bulks up a little bit over the winter i think he would have to start corner back next year. aidan mccarthy is a fantastci young player who could make a serious impression next year.

To be honest i hope galway win the final. Limerick are our neighbours and biggest rivals so id hate to see them win it!!

its hard to know if moloney & o'connor will stay on. they have been involved with clare teams for 12 years now so that is a huge commitment. they had said they would try senior level for 2 years and see how that goes. so that 2 years is up now. but the fact that they know we are very close to the top might just drive them to give it one more year!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 07/08/2018 09:48:34    2130321

Link

Dropping Malone was a big mistake ,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 07/08/2018 11:06:15    2130350

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Sunday was so disappointing, it was such a hard one to take. But we did have a good year and have definitely made strides forward!

The poor start, wides tally, shanaghers goal chance - there were such small margins in it! Although in saying that we were very poor throughout the first half and to be honest i think we were blessed to be only 6 down at half time!

I think our management deserve a of credit, although I think playing galvin as a sweeper was an incorrect decision. It was simply not going to work a second day in a row against galway.

There has been a lot of criticism of tony kelly since the game. The thing people have to realize is even when tony is at his best he is not someone who wins his own ball. he revels in open space, coming onto breaks or receiving a pass to score . He wasnt given the space on sunday so that is credit to galway. our supporters have to realize the type of player kelly is before criticizing him.

overall i am optimistic about next year, having shanagher back 100% will be a massive boost and i was impressed with rory hayes when he came on - apart from his silly wide. if he bulks up a little bit over the winter i think he would have to start corner back next year. aidan mccarthy is a fantastci young player who could make a serious impression next year.

To be honest i hope galway win the final. Limerick are our neighbours and biggest rivals so id hate to see them win it!!

its hard to know if moloney & o'connor will stay on. they have been involved with clare teams for 12 years now so that is a huge commitment. they had said they would try senior level for 2 years and see how that goes. so that 2 years is up now. but the fact that they know we are very close to the top might just drive them to give it one more year!!"
what have limerick ever done to you to say yo'd hate to see them winning....not a nice thing to say about any team.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 805 - 07/08/2018 12:15:12    2130384

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "what have limerick ever done to you to say yo'd hate to see them winning....not a nice thing to say about any team."
we're rivals like!! If you understand how rivalry works you would know what i mean!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 07/08/2018 13:40:57    2130431

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "we're rivals like!! If you understand how rivalry works you would know what i mean!"
of course we are rivals like all teams in munster....when clare were in the 13 final again cork i just wanted to see a good game and didnt mind who won......so lay off with the sly remarks about hating limerick to win.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 805 - 07/08/2018 14:55:42    2130453

Link

If Limerick win the All Ireland then good luck to them. I don't hate anyone. Rivalry is one thing, hating is another. Think of all the Clare people who work in Limerick and the Limerick people who work in Shannon and Ennis and holiday back west? Sure isnt it only banter and a game at the end of the day. There are Clare people involved in the Limerick set up and in 2013 we had Kinnerk and Joe O Connor.

Hurling needs more than KK, Tipp and Cork so to have this final is great for the game.

The vast majority of Limerick supporters are genuine hurling people and I wouldn't begrudge them an All Ireland victory. Same with Galway, Waterford, Wexford etc.

I hope to go to the final (once all my mates from Galway and Limerick get sorted for tickets). May the best team win. 50/50 game IMO.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 07/08/2018 15:24:13    2130467

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "If Limerick win the All Ireland then good luck to them. I don't hate anyone. Rivalry is one thing, hating is another. Think of all the Clare people who work in Limerick and the Limerick people who work in Shannon and Ennis and holiday back west? Sure isnt it only banter and a game at the end of the day. There are Clare people involved in the Limerick set up and in 2013 we had Kinnerk and Joe O Connor.

Hurling needs more than KK, Tipp and Cork so to have this final is great for the game.

The vast majority of Limerick supporters are genuine hurling people and I wouldn't begrudge them an All Ireland victory. Same with Galway, Waterford, Wexford etc.

I hope to go to the final (once all my mates from Galway and Limerick get sorted for tickets). May the best team win. 50/50 game IMO."
i always hold you in high regard clareman by you're posts here .........easy to see you are a genuine supporter....limerick havnt won an ireland in 45 yrs ye have won 3 since ...but for a clare supporter to come on here and say he'd HATE if we won is a bit over the top. fair enough there's a bit of rivalry between clare and limerick but thats uncalled for.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 805 - 07/08/2018 15:51:40    2130479

Link

I never actually said i hate limerick!!! I just said I would hate to see limerick win this all ireland..

i love limerick the county! but I WOULD hate to see them win the all ireland hurling final.

i must take the rivalry more serious than you, strong rivalry makes sport what it is!! so begrudge them an all ireland?? Yes i definitely would

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 07/08/2018 16:02:41    2130490

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "I dont feel like your ridiculous comment to me even warrants a response or my energy but at the same time I posted here yesterday I wrote the following on the Clare V Galway thread in the national forum (check it out if you dont believe me):

Congratulations to Galway.

I am bitterly disappointed as I thought we had ye in the closing stages but lady luck turned against us with the Shanagher rebound hitting the post and Duggan failing to clear the defender from the free.

Well done and congratulations from your neighbours. We will be back next year you can be sure about that.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1916 - 06/08/2018 05:57:30

Is that enough for you?

Its one thing being a bad loser but after winning you come over here trying to stir us up and have a go? That says an awful lot about your character. You are certainly not representative of general Galway huring fans who are in general very gracious in defeat and victory just like I am."
Galway got a rub of the green with the goalie's shoulder, having said that some poor decisions late in he game cost Clare.
The players need some time to recover.
Moloney is in denial, his comment about 19 wides and poor starts to both games, he needs a rewind and the whole group, players and staff alike need to take a serious look at their approach to games at the appropriate time.
Kelly?
I have no idea why he so inconsistent.

LoughDerg (Clare) - Posts: 7 - 07/08/2018 19:46:26    2130576

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I never actually said i hate limerick!!! I just said I would hate to see limerick win this all ireland..

i love limerick the county! but I WOULD hate to see them win the all ireland hurling final.

i must take the rivalry more serious than you, strong rivalry makes sport what it is!! so begrudge them an all ireland?? Yes i definitely would"
Bit of a poor comment really. How could you begrudge Limerick an all Ireland? The only issue I have with Limerick lads is that I dont think they eve gave Clare the respect they deserve but how could you begrudge them an All Ireland when they have only won 1 since the end of WW2?

There are only 3 teams - that I could live the rest of my life happily knowing they did not win another All Ireland and that is Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny. They have enough of them.

If Clare are not going to win, I would like to see anyone out of these 3 win but this year I would like Limerick to win as the pain and anguish they have suffered is enough.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 08/08/2018 07:21:09    2130684

Link