Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Same starting 15 selected as what was generally expected!

Some interesting changes on the bench though, mccarthy returning is great to see after being dropped the last day for missing a training session due to having to work!!

Great to see Aron Shanagher back in the 26 as well, he must have been very close to making the 26 for the wexford game! he has been back in training for about 2 months now so he has been managed well to this point. I have no doubt he will be capable of making an impact if management see fit to put him on the bench.

We have as strong a bench now as i have seen for some time, i would go so far as to say it is stronger than it was in 2013! With mccarthy, fitzgerald, mcgrath, galvin and shanagher we really have 5 great options there!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 27/07/2018 10:51:20    2126663

Link

Whatever happens for the rest of the season, this Clare team have brought a love for hurling back into the County. What character to come back from an opening 15 minute whitewash and truthfully, i feel we had them on the ropes and should have won. The entertainment this team has given us this year is amazing.

I fancy us in the replay. Galway have more injury concerns and we are unlikely to give them a 9 point headstart again. We got the rub of the green at times but 7 wides in the first half of injury time nearly killed us.

Conlon was super in the second half and cemented his HOTY credentials with another 4 points from play. Kelly was there when we needed him and was a catalyst for our comeback. ODonnell continued his good form with another 3 points and Duggan was sublime again. His point was the greatest point i have ever seen. He had no right to put that ball ober the bar.

In defense, Jack Brown was superb but our other defenders need to up their game. Some of our defending in the early stages was junior b stuff. McInerney is a super athlete and player but he does not have the hurling defensive instinct for the top top level. He can often get away with it as he is such a good hurler but i thought he was poor yesterday.

For the next day, its not even open for debate that Malone is dropped for Fitzgerald. I would also start Galvin for Reidy. Reidy has been good this season but all Galvins cameos have been great and he deserves a start.

Cant wait for next Sunday.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 29/07/2018 07:00:31    2127159

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Whatever happens for the rest of the season, this Clare team have brought a love for hurling back into the County. What character to come back from an opening 15 minute whitewash and truthfully, i feel we had them on the ropes and should have won. The entertainment this team has given us this year is amazing.

I fancy us in the replay. Galway have more injury concerns and we are unlikely to give them a 9 point headstart again. We got the rub of the green at times but 7 wides in the first half of injury time nearly killed us.

Conlon was super in the second half and cemented his HOTY credentials with another 4 points from play. Kelly was there when we needed him and was a catalyst for our comeback. ODonnell continued his good form with another 3 points and Duggan was sublime again. His point was the greatest point i have ever seen. He had no right to put that ball ober the bar.

In defense, Jack Brown was superb but our other defenders need to up their game. Some of our defending in the early stages was junior b stuff. McInerney is a super athlete and player but he does not have the hurling defensive instinct for the top top level. He can often get away with it as he is such a good hurler but i thought he was poor yesterday.

For the next day, its not even open for debate that Malone is dropped for Fitzgerald. I would also start Galvin for Reidy. Reidy has been good this season but all Galvins cameos have been great and he deserves a start.

Cant wait for next Sunday."
Good morning Lrh. Your right it is getting tiresome but i couldn't help myself, i just dont like the fella. Hes very dismissive of Clare and it irks me, even his comments about the Clare panel, shanagher galvin and fitz had a massive impact when they were brought on. I mean is he even watching the game. Anyway thats me done with it. As for the Galway forum, that was just a bit of banter. Hes well able to dish it out.

Agree with your post but i wouldn't be as fast to drop Reidy, he could easily have a stormer the next day out. Galvin does deserve a start tho, hes very composed on the ball. Im glad its not me who has to decide.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 178 - 29/07/2018 12:30:29    2127224

Link

Wow what a weekend of hurling! Its great to get another crack at galway and to have an extra game in the championship.

It was a terrible opening 16 minutes, but I think the management have to be commended. Bringing galvin back as a sweeper and putting cleary man to man on canning changed the game. canning had dominated the opening exchanges of the game but he was much quieter after this change.

The big guns stepped up when we needed them, kelly, conlon, o'donnell, duggan at different stages. Galvin was excellent, he had 44 possessions which is ridiculous!!

We have a really good bench now, the five subs that came on are all quality hurlers, even though mcgrath wasnt his old self when he was introduced.

As lohan said, there can be no doubt that fitzgerald must start midfield next week for malone. i dont think there is even an argument about it. that's the only change i would make though, id still keep galvin in reserve.

also wasnt it absolutely fantastic to see aron shanagher back and scoring a goal in croke park. again it was clearly a ploy by management to put both himself and conlon inside and to hit long direct ball into them - and it clearly worked for the goal.

also delighted for jason mccarthy getting the equalizer after being dropped out of the 26 for the qf.

Cant wait for the replay now, the galway injuries could have a huge say in the outcome. so we'll just have to wait on news of those.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 30/07/2018 09:42:32    2127447

Link

Great weekend of hurling hard to tell which was better game we paid Galway far too much respect in first 20 Minutes Galvin bailed us out thought Peter Duggan immense never shied from the hard battle subs bench very important hopefully Conor McGrath only had an off day still not himself.
Need to start Fitzgerald next day.

Galway may have injuries but we should not focus on that they have strong panen but i am more confident now of taking them on

Limerick i think favourites now for AI

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 30/07/2018 11:18:19    2127479

Link

No ticket allocations for the clubs? There will be war

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 30/07/2018 14:28:38    2127551

Link

Canning should be fine. Gearoid Mac looks a big doubt. Galway wont be as wasterful again but he showed massive heart and duggan, conlon, galvin, kelly, SOD, Browne and Cleary were all fantastic for me.

Bench was a major for us, like limerick we now have good depth. Fitz gerald should start tho cos he can cover midfield, wing back or even half forward.

its 50/50 for next week. Galway will aim to blitz us again but if we can survive initial onslaught we have a great chance.

Fair play to Limerick in other semi final, look bad for them on 62 mins but they never panicked and bench was excellent.

Like a said after ennis game, they are a fine side who had an off day. For me they are favorites now

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 30/07/2018 16:18:21    2127580

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Canning should be fine. Gearoid Mac looks a big doubt. Galway wont be as wasterful again but he showed massive heart and duggan, conlon, galvin, kelly, SOD, Browne and Cleary were all fantastic for me.

Bench was a major for us, like limerick we now have good depth. Fitz gerald should start tho cos he can cover midfield, wing back or even half forward.

its 50/50 for next week. Galway will aim to blitz us again but if we can survive initial onslaught we have a great chance.

Fair play to Limerick in other semi final, look bad for them on 62 mins but they never panicked and bench was excellent.

Like a said after ennis game, they are a fine side who had an off day. For me they are favorites now"
looks like you're right clareman - canning looks like he'll be good to go.

McInerney remains the big doubt! If he is ruled out i think mannion would go to no.6. he is a class hurler, one of the favourites for hurler of the year this year - but im unsure if he can replicate what mcinerney does. mcinerney sits very deep, shielding the full backline and he is very good at communicating with his midfielders in covering the no.11 - kelly in this case.

mannion may be unsure when to drop deep / how deep to go and when to move up on kelly. im sure he would do fine but just positionally he wouldnt be used to it so we need to take advantage of any uncertainty here.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 31/07/2018 09:31:13    2127748

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Canning should be fine. Gearoid Mac looks a big doubt. Galway wont be as wasterful again but he showed massive heart and duggan, conlon, galvin, kelly, SOD, Browne and Cleary were all fantastic for me.

Like a said after ennis game, they are a fine side who had an off day. For me they are favorites now"
Well if Fitzgerald don't start it will be absolutely shocking was at the heart of everything good when he came on

That will be only change, though Shanagher and Ian Galvin pressing for places

Galway will be wise to sweeper this time so hopefully we will not have to go this route but boy how it worked last Saturday we would have been beaten a cricket score.

I somehow figured Duggan would have a stormer last day I know that Fenwick Match meant little in the Spring but he showed then that he could match their physicality more off the same on Sunday.

This team have given us brilliant entertainment this year and if we go out on Sunday i wont be too disappointed

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 31/07/2018 10:10:10    2127760

Link

I agree Clooney, its being a major improvement this summer. The Munster final was tough to take as i feel we didnt use our bench when lads were playing poorly but overall we have had a good year and gone to to toe with a lot of serious teams.

We are building a strong squad, probably still short a back and another strong half forward but we have options to bring in over the coming years.

Lets give it a right crack but whatever happens, we are in a good place compared to 12 or most definitely 24 months ago.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 31/07/2018 12:26:53    2127823

Link

Do ye think last saturday's performance was our best of the year?

I think our best result was beating tipp in thurles, but we didn't even play well in that game!

we had decent performances against waterford, limerick and wexford but there are question marks over the opposition for different reasons in all those games.

I think with the exception of the opening 16 minutes against galway it was our best performance.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 31/07/2018 15:55:18    2127914

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Do ye think last saturday's performance was our best of the year?

I think our best result was beating tipp in thurles, but we didn't even play well in that game!

we had decent performances against waterford, limerick and wexford but there are question marks over the opposition for different reasons in all those games.

I think with the exception of the opening 16 minutes against galway it was our best performance."
if you are going to select periods of matches, the first half against Cork in the Munster final was my pick. I thought we were excellent.

The best thing about Clare at the moment is our trajectory. We are improving all the time but we face a wounded animal this weekend. Galway are very dangerous but wouldnt a Clare v Limerick final be unbelievable.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 01/08/2018 06:34:36    2128107

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "if you are going to select periods of matches, the first half against Cork in the Munster final was my pick. I thought we were excellent.

The best thing about Clare at the moment is our trajectory. We are improving all the time but we face a wounded animal this weekend. Galway are very dangerous but wouldnt a Clare v Limerick final be unbelievable."
watched most off match last night great pace but littered with mistakes the impact of Ian D Fitz & Shanagher was immense so with David Fitzgerald @ MF who simply has to start I would be lot more confident.

David McInerney had a poor match unlikely to happen again Pat O Connor beautiful hurler may lack pace but on the ball amazing, Aron Shanagher will be sprung much earlier this time round he loves inside line but could also work in half forwards.

We have been been to the well now and recovered from an 9 point drubbing at start

ADVANTAGE CLARE NOW/////////////////////////

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 01/08/2018 09:16:02    2128128

Link

A point I forgot to make was in relation to the referee. Galway were very incensed on the day but having watched it back I thought there were only 2 incorrect decisions.

There was a "foul" on Niall Burke at the second half that wasnt given
And addmittedly our equalizing point in normal time from peter's free was for a "foul" on kelly was not actually a free to be honest!

Other than those 2 moments i think the referee did very well. a lot of frees which may have appeared to have been soft on first viewing were frees when watched back as a lot were for high tackles!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 01/08/2018 15:50:43    2128289

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "Well it wont be limerick. Most overrated team i have seen in awhile. No stand out players at all, where's your tj reed, joe canning, tony kelly, colm galvin, john conlon?. Sick of the limerick hype, outhurled, outmuscled and out taught today. Just make sure that bamdwagon doesn't break down on the way to carlow.."
Oops!!

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 229 - 05/08/2018 16:32:39    2129427

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Oops!!"
Well i brought that on myself. Ill be back again next year digging more holes for myself.

Best of luck in the final.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 178 - 05/08/2018 18:01:51    2129504

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "A point I forgot to make was in relation to the referee. Galway were very incensed on the day but having watched it back I thought there were only 2 incorrect decisions.

There was a "foul" on Niall Burke at the second half that wasnt given
And addmittedly our equalizing point in normal time from peter's free was for a "foul" on kelly was not actually a free to be honest!

Other than those 2 moments i think the referee did very well. a lot of frees which may have appeared to have been soft on first viewing were frees when watched back as a lot were for high tackles!"
Did you not see the clear push on the back by O'Connor on Conor Cooney in the first half and Padraig Mannion being fouled at least 2 or 3 times by a couple of Clare players at a critical part of the first half ?

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2259 - 05/08/2018 18:11:27    2129515

Link

From a neutral point... Ref was not bad at all I thought. In fact while some will disagree, I thought he was more harsh on Galway. Some Clare tackles were frees for Galway but nothing given. Clare beat themselves today. 19 wides is not good enough and expect to win

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 229 - 05/08/2018 18:22:37    2129528

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Did you not see the clear push on the back by O'Connor on Conor Cooney in the first half and Padraig Mannion being fouled at least 2 or 3 times by a couple of Clare players at a critical part of the first half ?"
You should probably of read the date before you posted that but your probably too busy enjoying your win.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 178 - 05/08/2018 18:25:30    2129532

Link

Malone should never have been dropped... never put a foot wrong all year... for Galway its great to be in the final again ,, along with the minors,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/08/2018 19:41:59    2129598

Link