Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

congrats on ye,re win saturday.it came a lot easier than i expected.the likes of kelly,o donnell and podge finding form at right time.backs were very good allowing no room to wexford.i did think it was a different davy on the line,not as animated and no roaring and shouting,i take it that was because it was against his native county.i wonder could we get a clare-limerick final,wouldnt it be great.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 16/07/2018 13:38:24    2122700

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "congrats on ye,re win saturday.it came a lot easier than i expected.the likes of kelly,o donnell and podge finding form at right time.backs were very good allowing no room to wexford.i did think it was a different davy on the line,not as animated and no roaring and shouting,i take it that was because it was against his native county.i wonder could we get a clare-limerick final,wouldnt it be great."
I can see Limerick being able for Cork if they play to potential but Galway are awesome i am bit worried how we will deal with their forwards and their backs are as tight as a drum

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 16/07/2018 14:28:04    2122739

Link

Progress for Clare and Limerick this year which is great. Both will go into the semi final as underdogs which will help.

The word in Galway is the supporters are already trying to identify avenue's for All-Ireland final tickets. Cork are well aware of the challenge Limerick will bring after the match a few weeks back.

Its been a mighty summer. I can't believe there's just 2 weekend of hurling left!

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1036 - 17/07/2018 08:34:38    2122995

Link

Replying To clooney:  "I can see Limerick being able for Cork if they play to potential but Galway are awesome i am bit worried how we will deal with their forwards and their backs are as tight as a drum"
Are their backs that tight? They conceded three goals to KK and last Sunday Quaid had only one ball to deal with, as in, struck in anger. And when you think of it further did Eoin Murphy have anything like as many shots to deal with against Galway. If we do get over Cork, and that is a huge IF it will be very difficult to beat either Clare or Galway and if anything I would prefer to get Galway.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 17/07/2018 12:47:24    2123094

Link

I think we played well on Saturday, slowly our performances are improving.

There is a lot of hype about this Galway team in the media, everyone is saying they are massive favourites to win the all ireland - never mind beating us!! I think it will be interesting to see how they handle this expectation.

It's happened so many times in different sports that raging hot favourites take their eye off the ball and the underdog out fights them. This could be a huge opportunity for us to sneak up on galway.

We need a lot to go right for us though. We'll need to have kelly and o'donnell involved as much as they were in the first half in particular against wexford.

I would have a slight woory about some of our backs against their forwards! there will almost definitely be no changes on the clare team. so i would envisage galway maybe putting johnny glynn on seadna morey, which is a huge mis match height wise. we'll need cathal malone covering here on puckouts if this was to be a scenario that does happen!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 18/07/2018 10:44:04    2123414

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I think we played well on Saturday, slowly our performances are improving.

There is a lot of hype about this Galway team in the media, everyone is saying they are massive favourites to win the all ireland - never mind beating us!! I think it will be interesting to see how they handle this expectation.

It's happened so many times in different sports that raging hot favourites take their eye off the ball and the underdog out fights them. This could be a huge opportunity for us to sneak up on galway.

We need a lot to go right for us though. We'll need to have kelly and o'donnell involved as much as they were in the first half in particular against wexford.

I would have a slight woory about some of our backs against their forwards! there will almost definitely be no changes on the clare team. so i would envisage galway maybe putting johnny glynn on seadna morey, which is a huge mis match height wise. we'll need cathal malone covering here on puckouts if this was to be a scenario that does happen!"
This management are conservative so no changes would be expected

We have a good record V Galway
We have subs like Conor McGrath Aron Shanagher Cian Dillon Ian Galvin Jason Mccarthy ( hope hes back ) David Fitzgerald so we do have good cover on bench

If Kelly & O Donnell are at races then great chance John Conlon best full forward in game at minute Galway have had easier ride so we should be more battle hardened cant afford any misses from frees a lot needs to go well for us if we are to win.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 18/07/2018 12:10:31    2123451

Link

Oh and I forgot to mention John Conlon v Daithi Burke - one on one. This is going to be something else watching these 2 go at it!!

I dont know if there has been any one on one dual in hurling that has been more anticipated over the past few years than these 2 going head to head in on saturday week!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 18/07/2018 12:31:12    2123457

Link

Overall I am happy with the year so far. The aim for the year was to get back to Croke Park and that has been achieved. The Munster final collapse was hard to take but they bounced back and beat a team they should be beating comfortably enough in the end. We have played 7 and won 5 championship games against top teams. Our style of hurling is a lot more positive and progressive compared the awful stuff we had to ensure in 2015 and 2016. We are now scoring mid 20s every game and abandoning the sweeper has not led to an avalanche of goals conceded. Players are trusted more.

Beating Galway would be a massive result, its possible but Galway are a fantastic team and I think will be hard stopped for 2 in a row.

Those supporters calling for the mgmts head and for people like kelly to be dropped are crazy.

Tony has scored 1-23 to date in the championship, 1-21 from play, yet he probably wont even get nominated for an All Star. He is judged on 2013 and 2014 form, and he is expected to be Christy Ring in every game, but as a Tipp man said to me in thurles after we beat them, he is some weapon to have as he scores even when he is quiet, he wins frees, he creates and also, he ties up at least one of the opposition players.

I thought the analysis done on him by Tyrell on the Sunday game was lazy and fits a narrative he wants to pedal about Clare lacking workrate. Clare push up on puck outs zonally and their overall workrate is really good. You dont get to an AI Semi Final without good workrate.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 19/07/2018 09:37:54    2123688

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Progress for Clare and Limerick this year which is great. Both will go into the semi final as underdogs which will help.

The word in Galway is the supporters are already trying to identify avenue's for All-Ireland final tickets. Cork are well aware of the challenge Limerick will bring after the match a few weeks back.

Its been a mighty summer. I can't believe there's just 2 weekend of hurling left!"
Thats isn't the word in Galway whatsoever. One AI win in 29 years means we know it could be another 29 again... nothing is a right or given. The ONLY focus is on getting good tickets for a week today... which I've succeeded with lower hogan 334!

Miami305 (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 21/07/2018 09:00:37    2124207

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Are their backs that tight? They conceded three goals to KK and last Sunday Quaid had only one ball to deal with, as in, struck in anger. And when you think of it further did Eoin Murphy have anything like as many shots to deal with against Galway. If we do get over Cork, and that is a huge IF it will be very difficult to beat either Clare or Galway and if anything I would prefer to get Galway."
Our backs are fairly tight alright. KK 3's goals were all very avoidable. Ger Aylward took 18 steps (no exaggeration that was the actual count) to score his. The fennelly goal was a score for a point that hit the post and dropped into his lap. and the hogan goal our backs didn't cover themselves in glory or Skehill for that matter.

In two games against them for the leinster final they managed 18 scores each game (0-18 and 3-15)
throw in salt hill and KK only mustered 2-11 all game and only one score from play in the entire second half which was an injury time goal

Why would you prefer Galway? Is that based on your meeting with Clare in Ennis?

Miami305 (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 21/07/2018 09:07:13    2124209

Link

Replying To Miami305:  "Our backs are fairly tight alright. KK 3's goals were all very avoidable. Ger Aylward took 18 steps (no exaggeration that was the actual count) to score his. The fennelly goal was a score for a point that hit the post and dropped into his lap. and the hogan goal our backs didn't cover themselves in glory or Skehill for that matter.

In two games against them for the leinster final they managed 18 scores each game (0-18 and 3-15)
throw in salt hill and KK only mustered 2-11 all game and only one score from play in the entire second half which was an injury time goal

Why would you prefer Galway? Is that based on your meeting with Clare in Ennis?"
To a point, but Clare have proved very difficult for Limerick in several games otherwise. However if we were playing Galway, as rank outsiders, and we have never beaten Galway in a final , it would mean there would be very little pressure on our lads.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 22/07/2018 22:43:05    2124922

Link

Replying To Miami305:  "Our backs are fairly tight alright. KK 3's goals were all very avoidable. Ger Aylward took 18 steps (no exaggeration that was the actual count) to score his. The fennelly goal was a score for a point that hit the post and dropped into his lap. and the hogan goal our backs didn't cover themselves in glory or Skehill for that matter.

Why would you prefer Galway? Is that based on your meeting with Clare in Ennis?"
I think this Galway team has very few weaklinks, but I think James Skehill is a huge downgrade on Colm Callanan.

For ourselves, it would be expected that we will go with the same 15, but I think we should bring in david fitzgerald for seadna morey. Fitzgerald has probably been very close to the first 15 recently and i think we need to start him as seadna would be giving away a lot - height wise if he's up against johnny glynn or joseph cooney.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 23/07/2018 10:18:00    2125018

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I think this Galway team has very few weaklinks, but I think James Skehill is a huge downgrade on Colm Callanan.

For ourselves, it would be expected that we will go with the same 15, but I think we should bring in david fitzgerald for seadna morey. Fitzgerald has probably been very close to the first 15 recently and i think we need to start him as seadna would be giving away a lot - height wise if he's up against johnny glynn or joseph cooney."
Seanha has hardly ever a poor match too good to leave off Jamie Shanahan lovely hurler slow thought might suffer but David Fitz too good to be on line good sub why not play him midfield

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 23/07/2018 12:18:01    2125123

Link

clooney, it is the height disadvantage that I would be concerned about. Seadna is a quality hurler but he is not big enough to compete with the likes of joseph cooney, niall burke or johnny glynn that is why I think it should be a horses for courses situation and bring in fitzgerald.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 23/07/2018 14:35:25    2125231

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "clooney, it is the height disadvantage that I would be concerned about. Seadna is a quality hurler but he is not big enough to compete with the likes of joseph cooney, niall burke or johnny glynn that is why I think it should be a horses for courses situation and bring in fitzgerald."
Fair enough but Peter Duggan is a good man on a high ball and Seanha got the better off him in replayed County Final the last 10 or so minutes V Tipp was very good so we need to bring this for 70 minutes this weekend the prize is huge

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 23/07/2018 15:36:08    2125275

Link

jack browne v conor whelan should be another interesting battle! jack has been very very good for us this year, probably one of our best players since the season began but it will a huge battle for him on whelan!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 23/07/2018 15:59:47    2125288

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "clooney, it is the height disadvantage that I would be concerned about. Seadna is a quality hurler but he is not big enough to compete with the likes of joseph cooney, niall burke or johnny glynn that is why I think it should be a horses for courses situation and bring in fitzgerald."
Didnt we say the same thing about our match ups against Limerick. We were told they would dominate us physically but what happened? we dominated them physically.

We got to get away from thinking that the bigger man is more physical. We are more than capable of physically matching Galway any day of the week.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 24/07/2018 01:54:23    2125535

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Didnt we say the same thing about our match ups against Limerick. We were told they would dominate us physically but what happened? we dominated them physically.

We got to get away from thinking that the bigger man is more physical. We are more than capable of physically matching Galway any day of the week."
i never mentioned anything about being physical! The fact is that gylnn, j cooney, n burke are all far taller than seadna. all all very good in the air, it is not a slight on seadna to say he will be dominated in the air. i didnt say anything about galway being more physical - just that is they have loads nearly a foot taller than some of our lads then the taller man is likely to win the majority of the aerial battles.

the sheer size of this galway team is one of their biggest strengths, therefore i think bringing in fitzgerald for this game is the right idea........

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 24/07/2018 13:40:19    2125676

Link

I think we will target jack Brown. Conor Whelan should shine. Brown is an Ok hurler but I think he will struggle. I hope galway win but best of luck to clare if ye reach the final.

Sheedy (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 25/07/2018 12:14:49    2126049

Link

Think this will be closer than some expect and if clare can perform for the full 75 min it wouldnt surprise me if they sneaked it. Very interesting match ups throughout the field.

iomaintluimni (Limerick) - Posts: 20 - 25/07/2018 12:45:23    2126062

Link