Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The fact is that every county has bandwagon supporters, Clare and Limerick are no different!!

Great to see that david reidys ban was overturned, it was never in doubt anyway!
Interestingly there was no mention of donal moloneys appeal..

Hopefully seadna morey will be fit to play next sunday, his pace is a huge asset. Although i would start both him and fitzgerald.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 25/06/2018 09:50:31    2114522

Link

I'd like to see Clare do something different in this match. There's a template to putting Cork under pressure and Clare haven't availed of it in a long long time. I would be disappointed if Clare just show up and play the same game as they always do against Cork.
There is a wierd Clare attitude when playing Cork. It's a really confident 'glad it's Cork and not Tipperary' . Then invariably Cork play an efficient game and win by 3 or 4...then it's onto the next Clare v Cork and nothing changes.
Cork are a very very good team and if you were to put their squad up against anyone in Ireland for speed and skill then they'd win every time. They are tough aswell without being particularly physical. I think Clare can win but only if they work very hard in closing down the Cork halfbacks.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 25/06/2018 11:21:42    2114577

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "The fact is that every county has bandwagon supporters, Clare and Limerick are no different!!

Great to see that david reidys ban was overturned, it was never in doubt anyway!
Interestingly there was no mention of donal moloneys appeal..

Hopefully seadna morey will be fit to play next sunday, his pace is a huge asset. Although i would start both him and fitzgerald."
I agree with that.

I would prefer one of them on the bench, especially if the weather is like this. Let Malone do the unsung work and then fitz/morey coming on with 15 mins left. A strong bench in this weather is vital.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 178 - 25/06/2018 11:37:58    2114590

Link

Apparently Aron Shanagher has been back in full contact training for the past few weeks now and is expected to make the 26 this sunday. This would be a massive boost as he would be a serious option off the bench for us. Delighted for him, ive heard he has worked very very hard to put himself in this position.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 25/06/2018 15:15:27    2114729

Link

Thats incredible news hurlingexpert Shanagher has the potential to be phenonenal with his pace and aerial ability, would be a serious addition to Clare for the latter stages considering the lack of depth they have in their forwards with Cathal McInerney, Tots O'Connell, Aaron Cunningham, Bobby Duggan all being unavailable for whatever reasons

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 25/06/2018 17:07:31    2114805

Link

Replying To stekhli:  "Thats incredible news hurlingexpert Shanagher has the potential to be phenonenal with his pace and aerial ability, would be a serious addition to Clare for the latter stages considering the lack of depth they have in their forwards with Cathal McInerney, Tots O'Connell, Aaron Cunningham, Bobby Duggan all being unavailable for whatever reasons"
Those 4 aren't available because they aren't good enough. Cunningham would make the 26..a very good impact player.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 25/06/2018 18:28:33    2114862

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Apparently Aron Shanagher has been back in full contact training for the past few weeks now and is expected to make the 26 this sunday. This would be a massive boost as he would be a serious option off the bench for us. Delighted for him, ive heard he has worked very very hard to put himself in this position."
Lads the less expectation on his shoulders the better. You cant expect him to come back in and resume where he left off. We made a mistake last year bringing OOB back in for Munster final too early and it was a shambles.

It will be great to see him back so soon but i have no performance expectations from him until next season.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 26/06/2018 01:08:57    2115136

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Lads the less expectation on his shoulders the better. You cant expect him to come back in and resume where he left off. We made a mistake last year bringing OOB back in for Munster final too early and it was a shambles.

It will be great to see him back so soon but i have no performance expectations from him until next season."
Literally no one here has said they are expecting him to be back to the level where he left off. I just simply stated that its great to see him back. Plus there is no expectation being put on him.
Chill the beans bud

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 26/06/2018 11:50:44    2115277

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Literally no one here has said they are expecting him to be back to the level where he left off. I just simply stated that its great to see him back. Plus there is no expectation being put on him.
Chill the beans bud"
I never said you ever said.

I am only trying to give the point of view that we should have zero expectations that's all.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 26/06/2018 11:58:47    2115284

Link

Haha fair enough, you can have zero expectations. Although I would expect that if management see fit to have him on the bench then I expect he will be able to do a job.

But that is the managements call, not mine & not yours.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 26/06/2018 14:15:45    2115397

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Haha fair enough, you can have zero expectations. Although I would expect that if management see fit to have him on the bench then I expect he will be able to do a job.

But that is the managements call, not mine & not yours."
It was great news that David Reidy was restored for Sudays game.His speed and hurling ability should make a difference.I watched the tape of Reidy,s game and could find no eathly reason for his sending off.Going back over the officiating at games this year,and it causes one to wonder what the hell is going on.Surely the standard of officiating games could not have deceended that low.And there has been no reaction from the top officialsWell Ihope Clare does the job well in the Munster final and that Shnagher gets a chance to make a contribution. He deserves it!!!!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 26/06/2018 18:11:28    2115545

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "It was great news that David Reidy was restored for Sudays game.His speed and hurling ability should make a difference.I watched the tape of Reidy,s game and could find no eathly reason for his sending off.Going back over the officiating at games this year,and it causes one to wonder what the hell is going on.Surely the standard of officiating games could not have deceended that low.And there has been no reaction from the top officialsWell Ihope Clare does the job well in the Munster final and that Shnagher gets a chance to make a contribution. He deserves it!!!!!!!!!"
There should have been an explanation released as to the reasons why Reidy was sent off. Accountability is non-existent in the GAA officiating.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 27/06/2018 09:36:27    2115730

Link

Well the lack of explanation is in itself an explanation!

In my opinion none of the officials saw the "incident" - First they saw of it was byrnes on the ground and reidy standing beside him. After seeing condon strike reidy they just presumed that in all likelihood that reidy must have strook byrnes. they clearly panicked under the pressure of the situation. I think its completely the umpire(s) fault and not the referee. The ref had no option but to go with what was said.

Theres never going to be a public explanation given in those embarrassing circumstances!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 27/06/2018 10:54:19    2115794

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "There should have been an explanation released as to the reasons why Reidy was sent off. Accountability is non-existent in the GAA officiating."
You are exactly right Lohans Red HELMET,AND FOR THE gentleman who claimed the refree has no final authority=ty, well I just wonder what rule book he is reading.

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 27/06/2018 17:07:42    2116066

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "There should have been an explanation released as to the reasons why Reidy was sent off. Accountability is non-existent in the GAA officiating."
As you surely know by now, referees never explain why they take the decisions they do. I can see the logic to your question, but I think overall it is better they do not explain.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 27/06/2018 20:16:27    2116132

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "As you surely know by now, referees never explain why they take the decisions they do. I can see the logic to your question, but I think overall it is better they do not explain."
0ld toursman when a referee makes a stupid decision.no explananation is possible.How can you explain amistake that nof ven a little child would make. LET THE GAA OFFICIAL GET BACK TP BASICS.SET UP BASIC TRAINING COURSES FOR REFEREES. It cant get any worse.How many more despicabledisplays of officiating causing shatterd dreams to hard working players do we have to watch??

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 27/06/2018 23:42:13    2116232

Link

Good luck to the Banner this Sunday. I hope the lads go out and give a very good account of themselves and come out on top.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 29/06/2018 08:36:07    2116586

Link

VAR should be available but the tweak I would make would be each team has 2 VAR appeals a half. They can ask the 4th official for an immediate review but they lose their 2nd VAR appeal if they are wrong. It works in American football. The problem in rugby and association football is the guy in the video room can cause stoppages way too often. Let the teams management have control over what to appeal.
The standard of referees is poor..their fitness is poor aswell. They don't 'look' the part when carry a paunch.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 29/06/2018 12:04:31    2116650

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "Well it wont be limerick. Most overrated team i have seen in awhile. No stand out players at all, where's your tj reed, joe canning, tony kelly, colm galvin, john conlon?. Sick of the limerick hype, outhurled, outmuscled and out taught today. Just make sure that bamdwagon doesn't break down on the way to carlow.."
We'll Dec82 how overrated have Clare been built up to for the last 2 weeks- blown out of the water in the 2nd half with no leaders. Kelly touching the ball 5/6 times in a game is no Canning or Reid. Anyway ye'll have no problems getting tickets for the next date when your 20,000 bandwagoners disappear until ye build the hype again

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 350 - 01/07/2018 17:53:04    2117287

Link

Hard Luck Clare. It's a hard defeat but your season isn't over. The second half was very poor from Clare. At half time Cork adjusted and then Clare couldn't adjust themselves in the second half. Corks cuteness to find 1-1 before half-time was a turning point. I hate to say it but Clare are so naive sometimes ..letting a shot off while going to ground would garner a free . Look at His hand soft frees for dipping his head into a tackle. It's a terrible rule that a guy can dip his head into a tackle and get a free .

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 01/07/2018 19:00:18    2117327

Link