Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To brianboru:  "Some of he gaa reporters on the Clare -Limerick match surmised that Limerick did so poorly was because they were tired from their exertions aftr two tough games prior to their encounter with Clare. I have a more obvious reason.Limerick were just not good enough,and were beaten by a fitter and faster Clare team"
I see Clare have handed the initiative to Cork again. Off to Thurles ye go...right into the Cork hordes.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 18/06/2018 20:34:01    2112828

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "Some of he gaa reporters on the Clare -Limerick match surmised that Limerick did so poorly was because they were tired from their exertions aftr two tough games prior to their encounter with Clare. I have a more obvious reason.Limerick were just not good enough,and were beaten by a fitter and faster Clare team"
Yes indeed, limerick were not as good as clare, would not argue with that. Beaten by a better team on the day. I emphasise on the day. Time will tell that

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 224 - 18/06/2018 22:44:41    2112931

Link

Thurles for the final... dr con is laughing in cork. Why limerick was not selected with 50k capacity is beyond me. Thurles is like a home game for cork, may as well be the pairc. Now im not saying clare wont win but limerick would have been better for them. Cork dont go well in the gaelic grounds

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 224 - 18/06/2018 22:50:02    2112933

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I see Clare have handed the initiative to Cork again. Off to Thurles ye go...right into the Cork hordes."
Peggy, welcome to the Clare forum but please only come back when you know what you are talking about. Granted, that might mean we may not see you again. Take your beating and enjoy if you can the Munster Final, regardless of where it is on. Your horse lost (this time) but I am sure its time will come.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 19/06/2018 06:23:25    2112950

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I see Clare have handed the initiative to Cork again. Off to Thurles ye go...right into the Cork hordes."
Most Clare people would prefer Gaelic Grounds but i doubt that we can in any way influence the decision its the Munster Council that decides that Cork is say have more influence that we would.

We will have to get on with it if you look at the like of Kilkenny they never moan go out to win every game I believe we have ever chance of beating Cork way more settled now defence have bedded in well have cover also in Cian Dillon Rory Hayes & Jason McCarthy still over reliant on Colm Galvin in the middle of field I would put David Fitzgerald here far more hurling than Cathal Malone forwards getting big scores Peter on frees is as good as anyone at moment and is also big threat and Conlon in line for Hurler of year why would be fear them its a 50/50 game if we perform we will win.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 445 - 19/06/2018 09:12:19    2112963

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "Peggy, welcome to the Clare forum but please only come back when you know what you are talking about. Granted, that might mean we may not see you again. Take your beating and enjoy if you can the Munster Final, regardless of where it is on. Your horse lost (this time) but I am sure its time will come."
What are you on about.? I hope Clare win. Better team won on Sunday and I hope Clare perform even better against Cork. Clare would be much better off not going to Thurles for the final. It was there last year and you lost so moving around the opposition would have been a wise move.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 19/06/2018 10:40:21    2112982

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "What are you on about.? I hope Clare win. Better team won on Sunday and I hope Clare perform even better against Cork. Clare would be much better off not going to Thurles for the final. It was there last year and you lost so moving around the opposition would have been a wise move."
The thing you dont seem to understand is that this was always a decision between thurles and pairc i chaoimh. So thurles is obviously infinity the better option for us!

Of course we would prefer to play cork in limerick, but limierck wasnt in the running for whatever reason.

Plus these current group of clare players love playing in thurles so we as county & the team will have no fear going to thurles!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 19/06/2018 13:26:21    2113054

Link

Replying To clooney:  "I agree we need to drop it now it wasen't D Byrnes fault that referee & umpires got it wrong
Both would have played in LIT together and probably good friends perhaps people think that because Diarmuid is such a big man that he made a meal out off it but D Reidy is a sturdy player so as Anthony Daly said they diden't even see each other collided and Byrnes came out worst off it.
Everyone makes mistakes but definately a bad year for referees"
Look you have no proof that Byrnes was play acting- it is only your opinion. However I am certain David did not intentionally knock him over and definitely will have his red card rescinded. I have another theory as to why David was wrongly put off. Down in Cork, Owens and his team were reffing the LImerick /Cork game. Now O'Donoghue blatantly fouled Lynch as he was running through and Owens clearly went for a yellow card. However on realising Donoghue was already on a yellow he pulled out of sending him off- bad decision. Then there a vicious dirty tackle on English, which Kiely was livid about after the game, saying he was strongly tempted to bring the media into the Limerick dressing room to publicise the extent of the damage to Engish's rib cage and the referee and his officials failed to see this.
I think therefore that Owens and his umpires may have been anxious not to be seen to be treating Limerick too harshly in two games in a row. It is just a theory, so I will leave it there

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 19/06/2018 14:17:01    2113065

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Look you have no proof that Byrnes was play acting- it is only your opinion. However I am certain David did not intentionally knock him over and definitely will have his red card rescinded. I have another theory as to why David was wrongly put off. Down in Cork, Owens and his team were reffing the LImerick /Cork game. Now O'Donoghue blatantly fouled Lynch as he was running through and Owens clearly went for a yellow card. However on realising Donoghue was already on a yellow he pulled out of sending him off- bad decision. Then there a vicious dirty tackle on English, which Kiely was livid about after the game, saying he was strongly tempted to bring the media into the Limerick dressing room to publicise the extent of the damage to Engish's rib cage and the referee and his officials failed to see this.
I think therefore that Owens and his umpires may have been anxious not to be seen to be treating Limerick too harshly in two games in a row. It is just a theory, so I will leave it there"
Just to correct the record Oldtourman I did not say Diarmuid was play acting quiet the contrary read it again.

Poor decisions by the officials that's all no fault to Byrnes Or Reidy and i am sure sanity will prevail and David Reidy will be cleared for Munster Final.
I think its time 4th official had more power and could communicate from his monitor to the referee decisions like this.
The mystery goal in Thurles and incorrect sending off in Ennis both could have been avoided its hard now to referee a hurling game as the ball travels so fast and long Goalie will be next to join in the shooting fir points.
Some aspects of hurling have disimproved such as ground hurling and overhead pulling but the catching & striking unreal nowadays.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 445 - 19/06/2018 15:21:33    2113091

Link

Ah, lads, would ye give it a rest! Reidy seemed to suffer an injustice but it didn't affect the result. It would be a lot worse if he'd suffered a bad injury. Some of the posters here have absolutely no class even in victory, and I am sure if I bothered to look back up the thread I'd find that this pettiness originated with Lohan's knob. Looking forward to the Munster Final, and beyond. And I am sure so is Davy Reidy.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 19/06/2018 17:39:49    2113151

Link

Thanks Veronica, very gracious comment and best of luck in the final

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 19/06/2018 22:18:08    2113215

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "Ah, lads, would ye give it a rest! Reidy seemed to suffer an injustice but it didn't affect the result. It would be a lot worse if he'd suffered a bad injury. Some of the posters here have absolutely no class even in victory, and I am sure if I bothered to look back up the thread I'd find that this pettiness originated with Lohan's knob. Looking forward to the Munster Final, and beyond. And I am sure so is Davy Reidy."
Veronica 1 agree with you,and Ithink Clare will beat Cork in the final.They have improved much in so many areas since Clare lost narrrwly to them the last time they met

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 19/06/2018 23:14:11    2113230

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "Ah, lads, would ye give it a rest! Reidy seemed to suffer an injustice but it didn't affect the result. It would be a lot worse if he'd suffered a bad injury. Some of the posters here have absolutely no class even in victory, and I am sure if I bothered to look back up the thread I'd find that this pettiness originated with Lohan's knob. Looking forward to the Munster Final, and beyond. And I am sure so is Davy Reidy."
Are you having a laugh? Class has nothing to do with it. I am commenting on what I believe is 1 individuals attempt to deceive to get an opposition player sent off. I am not having a go at Limerick as a team, as a county or as a people. I have watched it 100 times now and unless a sniper picked him off from the top of Rice College there was no way the brush against Reidy would cause you to collapse in a heap.

DJ Carey wrote a column yesterday which heavily criticized Byrnes. In general though he has got away with it big time in the media. Daly was very soft on him on the Sunday game.

Just because something doesnt effect the result doesnt mean you cant comment or have an opinion on it.

This has nothing to do with being a good winner or loser, in fact the first post I did on this matter on this forum was at half time as I was livid. If he was a Clare player I would have equally the same opinion on the situation. I really dont want to address this anymore...this is my opinion on the matter and unless someone can find the sniper in the grassy knoll I am standing by it. If some other information comes to light suggesting anything otherwise and is valid I would be delighted to recant.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 20/06/2018 08:42:25    2113263

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Are you having a laugh? Class has nothing to do with it. I am commenting on what I believe is 1 individuals attempt to deceive to get an opposition player sent off. I am not having a go at Limerick as a team, as a county or as a people. I have watched it 100 times now and unless a sniper picked him off from the top of Rice College there was no way the brush against Reidy would cause you to collapse in a heap.

DJ Carey wrote a column yesterday which heavily criticized Byrnes. In general though he has got away with it big time in the media. Daly was very soft on him on the Sunday game.

Just because something doesnt effect the result doesnt mean you cant comment or have an opinion on it.

This has nothing to do with being a good winner or loser, in fact the first post I did on this matter on this forum was at half time as I was livid. If he was a Clare player I would have equally the same opinion on the situation. I really dont want to address this anymore...this is my opinion on the matter and unless someone can find the sniper in the grassy knoll I am standing by it. If some other information comes to light suggesting anything otherwise and is valid I would be delighted to recant."
Will u ever give it up, jez diarmuid must have done something to you in a personal way. Ive never seen anyone get more mileage out of this. Your correct it is your opinion just as it is mine they clashed, diarmuid got winded and came off worse. You say DJ criticised him, Brendan cummins said limerick are still next to galway in pecking order. So we will look forward to see if limerick or clare is playing come August 19th, thats sport. Now once again, chill and relax re diarmuid byrnes.

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 224 - 20/06/2018 11:55:43    2113315

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Will u ever give it up, jez diarmuid must have done something to you in a personal way. Ive never seen anyone get more mileage out of this. Your correct it is your opinion just as it is mine they clashed, diarmuid got winded and came off worse. You say DJ criticised him, Brendan cummins said limerick are still next to galway in pecking order. So we will look forward to see if limerick or clare is playing come August 19th, thats sport. Now once again, chill and relax re diarmuid byrnes."
Theres no more to be said on this to be honest. It was a disgraceful dive by Byrnes, thats plain to see so we should just leave it at that

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1808 - 20/06/2018 12:23:00    2113322

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Theres no more to be said on this to be honest. It was a disgraceful dive by Byrnes, thats plain to see so we should just leave it at that"
Expert???!!!!. You can be sure there is more to be said if " disgraceful dive" is ur take on it. All ye so called " experts" on here quickly to claim foul play, while the only camera is from behind. Oh ye are good alright. The world cup doing this VAR ye should be. Ye know nothing of diarmuid no more than I do of mr reidy. Yet alone very quick to judge . The only disgrace is the terminology used here on diarmuid byrnes. As I said, it was a coming together, neither even saw eachother and byrnes came off worst, winded.

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 224 - 20/06/2018 14:47:26    2113365

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "Well it wont be limerick. Most overrated team i have seen in awhile. No stand out players at all, where's your tj reed, joe canning, tony kelly, colm galvin, john conlon?. Sick of the limerick hype, outhurled, outmuscled and out taught today. Just make sure that bamdwagon doesn't break down on the way to carlow.."
Dec
Your county played Limerick in Cusack Park a few weeks ago. There was 2,700 fans there, about two thirds from Limerick. So essentially around 1,000 Banner people thought it worthwhile to travel a few miles to support their young team, yet about 10,000 tickets are sold are sold in Clare in a few hours for the Cork/Clare. And you would suggest there are only 'bandwagons' in Limerick. The fact is I am going to matches with well over fifty years and I mingle freely with supporters from my own and other counties. I am a keen student of the game and its history and I am always surprised at the depth of knowledge of the game that most of these people I have spoken to have. The fact is people do not attend lesser games for various reasons, but the vast majority of those who attend the big games are genuine GAA people

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 24/06/2018 10:08:52    2114128

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Dec
Your county played Limerick in Cusack Park a few weeks ago. There was 2,700 fans there, about two thirds from Limerick. So essentially around 1,000 Banner people thought it worthwhile to travel a few miles to support their young team, yet about 10,000 tickets are sold are sold in Clare in a few hours for the Cork/Clare. And you would suggest there are only 'bandwagons' in Limerick. The fact is I am going to matches with well over fifty years and I mingle freely with supporters from my own and other counties. I am a keen student of the game and its history and I am always surprised at the depth of knowledge of the game that most of these people I have spoken to have. The fact is people do not attend lesser games for various reasons, but the vast majority of those who attend the big games are genuine GAA people"
So whats your point? Clare have awful support, i know that but its the way some limerick supporters behave after a few wins that annoys me and thats what made me write the comment. I go to 90% of clare games but i wouldn't throw my nose up at a man who watches them all at home.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 178 - 24/06/2018 21:12:35    2114352

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "So whats your point? Clare have awful support, i know that but its the way some limerick supporters behave after a few wins that annoys me and thats what made me write the comment. I go to 90% of clare games but i wouldn't throw my nose up at a man who watches them all at home."
Why use the term bandwagon then. My point was that the term is really a nonsense in my experience.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2269 - 24/06/2018 22:26:37    2114394

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Why use the term bandwagon then. My point was that the term is really a nonsense in my experience."
It was just to wind ye up, didnt realise i was gonna get interrogated about it. Relax bud.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 178 - 24/06/2018 23:27:52    2114438

Link