Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Kelly and Galvin were a lot better yesterday, worked harder and supplied forwards with good ball. If we had taken taken half our wides we would have won well. Bit of breathing space now to blood a few young lads. Malone, Reidy, Browne, very good again yesterday. I agree, lets leave Touhy in goals.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 05/02/2018 10:39:51    2074186

Link

Clare are the best team in the country at the moment and are the team to beat in 2018,,,, both goal geeper and the centre foward problems are now solved,,,, Clare are a good 10 pts better then any other team out there at the present time,,,, for me its Clare for the League, Munster title and All-Ireland,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/02/2018 14:19:02    2074285

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Clare are the best team in the country at the moment and are the team to beat in 2018,,,, both goal geeper and the centre foward problems are now solved,,,, Clare are a good 10 pts better then any other team out there at the present time,,,, for me its Clare for the League, Munster title and All-Ireland,,,,,"
you left out the Champions League Hopping!

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 05/02/2018 14:50:02    2074297

Link

Replying To Ban:  "you left out the Champions League Hopping!"
Congratulations to the Clare team.THEY went down to Nowlan park and took that game against Kilkenny by the scruff of the neck and were deservibg winners. Without exception every player played well,and I would give the man of the match award to McINERNEY. A special mention also to our goalie.That displayshould wrap his position as Clares best goalie. But then he has not much opposition.One player who finally came back to his own was Tony Kelly.It was good to see him last the pace for the full game. Clare deserved to win by moreThey have to learn not to give away so many frees.The other reason they did not win by more was the officiating. He seemed determined not to let Clare close out the game.Now let us give some of the regulars a rest against Wexford and Waterford and go full blast against Cork when they come to ENNIS. Well done Clare team.Your supporters are proud of you!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 05/02/2018 16:22:03    2074353

Link

Some of our old failings coming back to haunt us, hitting far too many wides and not using the full forward line enough! O'donnell looked to be on fire early on but we didnt use him enough at all.

Our half backline is starting to look pretty strong i think which is hugely important.

John conlon - particularly in the first half was having his best game in quiet a while. And the workrate from himself and reidy was incredible. I have to say i doubted reidys position in the team but he is playing really well and is a hige player for us now.

Similarly with o'donnell - we need to use peter a lot more, he mustve been so frustrated watching 18 wides fly over his head!!

Touhy as has been said must be kept in goal now. He's looking far more solid than ive ever seen him, made a couple of saves and really strong under the high ball. Perhaps a little too eager to come off his line at times though.

Cleary was partially at fault for the goal - he is excellent at catching high balls but sometimes as a full back he just needs to use the hurley to bat it or break it away from danger there were 2/3 other occasions where he almost got caught as well for the very same reason.

Lastly the ref - particularly in the first half was very harsh on us, giving a few frees that were 100% not frees. Cleary was very inlucky for a few of these..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 05/02/2018 21:19:46    2074449

Link

Replying To Ban:  "you left out the Champions League Hopping!"
Westmeath seem to be going all out for that one. and they probably have it in the bag ;)

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 06/02/2018 10:09:04    2074502

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "Westmeath seem to be going all out for that one. and they probably have it in the bag ;)"
So far so good MiAmigaVERONICA. 2 out of 2 is a great start. Some big games coming up so hopefully the form can continue.

Find it interesting Clare have been going with a Championship starting 15 for the first 2 games. The team seems better balanced with strength and skill. If a good squad of 20 can be developed then it will be a good year.
You have been very unfortunate with injuries over the last number of years with lads only coming back in the latter stages of the league. With a bit of luck that will change this year and Clare can have a right cut at it

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1007 - 06/02/2018 13:21:13    2074569

Link

Replying To Ban:  "So far so good MiAmigaVERONICA. 2 out of 2 is a great start. Some big games coming up so hopefully the form can continue.

Find it interesting Clare have been going with a Championship starting 15 for the first 2 games. The team seems better balanced with strength and skill. If a good squad of 20 can be developed then it will be a good year.
You have been very unfortunate with injuries over the last number of years with lads only coming back in the latter stages of the league. With a bit of luck that will change this year and Clare can have a right cut at it"
Three tough games still to go, and you are right about blooding players in the league; Lots of good players that have never been given a decent chance in recent years have fallen by the wayside. In my opinion. not enough steel in this team yet.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 06/02/2018 21:21:17    2074665

Link

Replying To Ban:  "So far so good MiAmigaVERONICA. 2 out of 2 is a great start. Some big games coming up so hopefully the form can continue.

You have been very unfortunate with injuries over the last number of years with lads only coming back in the latter stages of the league. With a bit of luck that will change this year and Clare can have a right cut at it"
Crafty steel, not the persistant ill-discipline that dogs the team. One thing I am very happy about anyway is seeing Morey in a more advanced role.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 06/02/2018 22:05:52    2074681

Link

Very good performance except for the usual high wide count. To not give more ball into O Donnell is absolutely senseless.It's preventing Clare from really taking off. I was impressed with Reidy and Galvin was very good. The backs were solid again. To let that Kilkenny team get back within 2 with time up is very concerning though. It 'll cost Clare in the Championship.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 07/02/2018 08:54:51    2074731

Link

I think next week we'll be going all out to win again, with our strongest available 15. Its important to win in ennis and we'll really want to beat cork.

If we do win that game i think we'll take the foot off the pedal in the last 2 games and make a few more changes. Firstly though it's important to get the win against cork!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 10/02/2018 08:27:25    2075356

Link

i agree Hex but its gonna be tough. We havent beaten cork in league or championship since the All Ireland final in 2013. Need to fix that stat.

I would worry about our full back lin, i think come the summer we will need pace back there, esp at 2 and 4. Morey is a fine hurler but maybe for clare he is needed at corner back. Also, i would try jason maccarthy there, he is fast strong n tough. When he plays out the field i think his hurling can be very rakish, maybe corner suits him, bursting out with the ball, something we have missed since DOD retired.

I would go with this team v Cork

Touhy

Morey
Cleary
McCarthy
Poc
Mac
Fitz

Kelly
Galvin

Malone
Reidy
Duggan

SOD
Conlon
McGrath

Harsh on Browne but he has never played well v Cork and got skinned a few times by Cadogan over the years.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 12/02/2018 09:12:07    2076088

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "Very good performance except for the usual high wide count. To not give more ball into O Donnell is absolutely senseless.It's preventing Clare from really taking off. I was impressed with Reidy and Galvin was very good. The backs were solid again. To let that Kilkenny team get back within 2 with time up is very concerning though. It 'll cost Clare in the Championship."
We were playing Kilkenny in Nowlan Park and we won. Regardless of what you thought of the Kilkenny team, any county team in Ireland would be delighted with this.

Irrespective of it being February, if Limerick had beaten KK in Nowlan Park, ye would have penned your All Ireland song all ready.

Clare have accuracy issues .... thats a given and one they need to sort out for the championship.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 13/02/2018 04:53:38    2076427

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "We were playing Kilkenny in Nowlan Park and we won. Regardless of what you thought of the Kilkenny team, any county team in Ireland would be delighted with this.

Irrespective of it being February, if Limerick had beaten KK in Nowlan Park, ye would have penned your All Ireland song all ready.

Clare have accuracy issues .... thats a given and one they need to sort out for the championship."
How are you going to know when someone is really out to get you if you think everybody is out to knock you and Clare all of the time?. I was giving my opinion and it was as valid as anyone else's yet you personalise it. 'So Sad' as the great man himself might say. This isn't a Clare only site , you don't want to be in an echo chamber surely.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 14/02/2018 20:55:56    2076912

Link

How are you going to know when someone is really out to get you if you think everybody is out to knock you and Clare all of the time?. I was giving my opinion and it was as valid as anyone else's yet you personalise it. 'So Sad' as the great man himself might say. This isn't a Clare only site , you don't want to be in an echo chamber surely.
PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 45 - 14/02/2018 20:55:

all opinions welcome in my opinion lets hope Clare reach 1/4 Final on Sunday then they can try to give a few lads a bit of game time

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 15/02/2018 08:53:35    2076976

Link

i,m not on here to cause any fuss.watched that game today and truly i dont know how cork were so close and tuohy made two good saves.ye hurled cork off the field completely in first half and then seem to sit on ye,re laurels for a long part of second haf.the concession of frees is killing ye,even though i thouht some were very soft.some of the changes made didn,t make much since to me.was disappointed with podge and o donnell.ye have a very good half back line,malley and morey outstanding.think id like to see conlan at full forward,he has a great hand for the ball and might bring the 2 corners more into a game.ye are definitely going in right direction and wouldnt it be great if both teams on shannonside could upset the munster championship,its not beyond possibility.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 18/02/2018 19:26:03    2078044

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "i,m not on here to cause any fuss.watched that game today and truly i dont know how cork were so close and tuohy made two good saves.ye hurled cork off the field completely in first half and then seem to sit on ye,re laurels for a long part of second haf.the concession of frees is killing ye,even though i thouht some were very soft.some of the changes made didn,t make much since to me.was disappointed with podge and o donnell.ye have a very good half back line,malley and morey outstanding.think id like to see conlan at full forward,he has a great hand for the ball and might bring the 2 corners more into a game.ye are definitely going in right direction and wouldnt it be great if both teams on shannonside could upset the munster championship,its not beyond possibility."
CT GAA LIMERICK.yOU GOT IT EXACTLY RIGHT.Almost A repitition 0f thr game Clare played the previous week.They start off excellent, and blow the opposition away in the first half with great moves and excellent coordiNation, movement and play.Then half time comes, AND a different team emerges in the second half,a completly different team,a bunhch of individeals almst geting caught . Whoever is responsible for that approach must be removed.If they continued their first half with current tacctics.they would have won by a country mile. Cork were a bad team and had no business being that close to Clare.Anyway a win is win!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 18/02/2018 22:10:50    2078150

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "CT GAA LIMERICK.yOU GOT IT EXACTLY RIGHT.Almost A repitition 0f thr game Clare played the previous week.They start off excellent, and blow the opposition away in the first half with great moves and excellent coordiNation, movement and play.Then half time comes, AND a different team emerges in the second half,a completly different team,a bunhch of individeals almst geting caught . Whoever is responsible for that approach must be removed.If they continued their first half with current tacctics.they would have won by a country mile. Cork were a bad team and had no business being that close to Clare.Anyway a win is win!!!!!!"
If you were in Ennis yesterday you would know that there was a strong breeze blowing into Aldi that had a major impact on the game, Cork are certainly not useless they won Munster last year & got to AI semis so it was a good win for us we are in 1/4 final of league so much better that previous years.

Clare now are far more settled with balance, and with a good few injuries & travel still to come into reckoning we are in a good place I believe

They have finally settled on Touhy in goal the whole County knew he was best stopshotter for a long time he is tidy on the line & very brave definately No 1

Full back line yesterday did ok Jack Brown had another good game POC very intelligent but might struggle with pace in Summer Conor did ok but was AWL when Harnody raided he will have plug those gaps " last man standing ".

Mike O' Malley had great outing but needs to do a lot less of playing to the stand, you can see why they want Sheana at Wing back so much dash, Davy M still settling in at 6 bit loose at times Galvin was very busy at midfield T Kelly still a bit of an enigma so gifted but not enough workrate or competing in dirty ball his second point a thing of beauty but not enough off it.

Good to see Deasy get a run did ok, Reidy our most important man now { how did they drop him for last years munster final } John Conlon tried hard still think himself & P Duggan should be swopped he offers so much at full forward

Peter Duggan got some great frees but missed 3 easier ones would be crucial on another day, still hasen't set world on fire in the league, but did break a lot of dirty ball,is a threat.
Shane as usual beavered and was battered but so dangerous, Podge is a huge favourite with crowd but they have got used to his tricks and he suffers when isolated with lack of power

Subs made an impact especially Dara Corry

I don't expect too many changes for Wexford game but hopefully wont make changes for the sake off it dont change goalie ect but it would be nice to see O Malley Deasy Ryan Taylor & Tots & Dara Corry get good game time.

Conor Mcgrath still not as sharp but what a man to be waiting on to make his comeback

The management have settled a lot this year too so that must be said and are way more relaxed
Finally the inconsistency of referees is frustrating some decisions yesterday baffleing

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 19/02/2018 09:38:06    2078231

Link

Another good win but once again we went to sleep. Cork with Cadogan n Lehane n Coleman are a different animal but still we were not at full strength either. Fitzgerald only came on at the end plus Shanahan, O Brien and Dillon to come back plus Conor McGrath is only getting up to speed. We also have Gudgie, Tots, Iain Galvin, Cathal Mac, good spread of different types of players now.

I still think our FB line will struggle in the summer for pace and morey may have to go back there yet. Malley seems like a good player. We seem to be building a good panel for summer. Its vital we win our homes games so its good we making the park a bit of a fortress.

The Munster Championship will be some dogfight. 5 good teams, I like the new format but wonder is it very lopsided as Leinster looks a lot easier with dublin n offaly way off the pace.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 19/02/2018 09:54:12    2078241

Link

Plenty of positives so far. I think Podge is getting a hard time unfairly. he did a loit right especially in the first half.

I think we are light defensively and Dillon coming back to the panel will be welcome. Apparently O Brien is taking a year out which is a big miss. We are playing well defensively however with only 1 goal conceded in 3 games against thew traditional 3. I do feel something is missing in the attack however. It just doesnt seem to be clicking like it should.

I get the sense that Cork didnt want to show their hand early given we play them in the Championship in round 1 this year.

I really hope we see 6 plus changes the next day. One position I do not want to change is goaly. Leave Touhy there now for the rest of the year.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 20/02/2018 03:29:18    2078610

Link