Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

New Year, New Topic.

Happy New Year to ye all folks.

I was at the game Sunday, Limerick should have won by more but their shooting as brutal as ours. Unless big improve in both teams then then will win little. Same problems last few years for both. Limerick looked sharp and first touch was good but they still suffer that old disease of crazy shooting and wild long ballS. They will need to develop a goal threat as well, which at moment they have none.

Clare need to have kelly and galvin midfield, if you have 3 ball wineers in deasy, duggan and malone in half forwards, the lads can run onto a lot of stuff. Galway won AI with 2 hurlers and athletes in midfield, that is the way to go.

Im not convinced with Cleary at 3, leave him at 6 but he fought well. Diarmuid ryan is one for the future, Conlon needs to be full, legs gone but still strong and can score, and good foil for SOD and McGrath.

shape of the 6 backs still a massive concern.

Tipp in the park will tell a lot.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 16/01/2018 10:39:59    2068651

Link

I think Clare still gave the basis of a very good side. Duggan needs to be built around in my opinion. He needs to be Clare's central figure. Tony Kelly remains as mecurial as ever. He's gifted but his wides, my god his shooting is so hit and miss. He regularly hits over 4 wides a game. That would kill any team and I'm surprised that management have allowed this to persist .
Fullback line is dodgy but I think the raw material is there but needs leadership from someone in that line to call the shots lime Logan used to. There's no problem with Clare that can't be fixed but I firmly believe that if Clare fail again this year then a long period of decline lies ahead.
Remember ye lost to Limerick without any N.a. Piarsaigh player . Tipperary game will tell alot .

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 19/01/2018 09:35:21    2069210

Link

Shippen Clare also didnt start Morey, McGrath, Conlon,Duggan, Shanahan plus Dillon is away. I wouldn't read too much into that game and also, never state a team is in for a 'long period of decline' after a poxy game in January, that is madness! Remember 95,Clare written off as chokers after 93, 94 and 95 league final. They were meant to be cannon fodder for limerick in the final...that team turned out ok didnt they?

Limerick have some excellent talent, but maybe they have too many similar types of players, they could fall into the same trap as clear, cant pick a settled 15. The NAP lads rarely do it for Limerick. Dowling has never scored from play against Clare and downes, dempsey etc are hot and cold.

Limerick posters on here have been digging away at Clare for years now, concentrate on yer own team.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 19/01/2018 13:42:42    2069277

Link

Agree with you there Clareman,,, Clare are a serious ootfit,,, should have beaten both Cork and Tipp in 2017,,,, wouldnt worry too much about Limerick yet ,,only won one All-Ireland since 1940,,,, for me Clare are the team to beat in 2018,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 19/01/2018 15:26:04    2069299

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Shippen Clare also didnt start Morey, McGrath, Conlon,Duggan, Shanahan plus Dillon is away. I wouldn't read too much into that game and also, never state a team is in for a 'long period of decline' after a poxy game in January, that is madness! Remember 95,Clare written off as chokers after 93, 94 and 95 league final. They were meant to be cannon fodder for limerick in the final...that team turned out ok didnt they?

Limerick have some excellent talent, but maybe they have too many similar types of players, they could fall into the same trap as clear, cant pick a settled 15. The NAP lads rarely do it for Limerick. Dowling has never scored from play against Clare and downes, dempsey etc are hot and cold.

Limerick posters on here have been digging away at Clare for years now, concentrate on yer own team."
There's no one 'digging' at Clare. Clare are our nearest and dearest neighbours for Limerick City people at least. We can surely have a discussion on each other's teams like we have done for 100 plus years.
If you read back my original point I said the Clare could be in serious decline if they fail this year. You took me up wrong as you said I judged you on one match in January. I haven't.
You aren't totally wrong about the Na Piarsaigh guys. But Dowling picked up an All Star in 2014 and his limitations are known as are his qualities. Put it this way. For the last 4 to 5 years Clare have had more talent at their disposal than Limerick. That coin has flipped and I believe Limerick have a significantly better squad than Clare do right now. At least 42 Limerick players playing Fitzgibbon cup this year.
I would love the know Clare supporters take on Kelly and the wides.?

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 20/01/2018 16:06:09    2069475

Link

Kellys shooting is crazy at times, he needs to look at David Burke and Jamie Barron, increase his work rate and more less selfish play and he can be a super player for the next 7 or 8 years for Clare. He has more natural talent than both of those lads. He also needs to be left to one position (midfield for me) as he is getting messed around too much.

Limerick have some excellent talent but just because you have 42 lads playing fitzgibbon doesn't you get 42 IC standard hurlers. If ye got 20 ye will be doing very well. We know that from experience. The honeymoon period is over for Kiely now. Pressure on to deliver.

I played Fitz and i can tell you that its not as intense as even a top club game in any of the leading hurling counties. Its full of loose hurling and lovely striking. It is nothing compared to proper adult level full blooded hurling.

Clare have underperformed as a group but this bunch have an AI and a League. How many other teams bar the big boys can that? Less is more and I think they will click and kick on soon under this mgmt team. Clare have one thing most counties lack, killer forwards. If we can find balance in our middle 8 and a solid keeper we will not be far off.

Remember we didnt have David Mac v Tipp and in the end our finishing killed us. I have watched both the Cork and Tipp games time and time again and if clare had a 20% better conversion rate they would have won both. They lost well if you know what I mean. In 2015 and 2016 we barely created goal chances, yet coughed up goals even though we had a sweeper. We were clueless n the games that mattered (Waterford in Munster and galway in 1/4s) were over as a contest after 50 mins.

They are not perfect, but i have big faith in this bunch and unlike everyone else, I wont be knocking them first chance I get.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 21/01/2018 14:33:44    2069667

Link

I think that we need to settle on our best 15 asap and in my opinion anyway this is my thoughts

Donal Touhy

Jason McCarthy/Paul Flanagan
Conor Cleary
Sheana Morey

David Fitzgerald
David McInerney
Patrick O Connor

Tony Kelly
Colum Galvin

Cathal Malone
Jamie Shanahan
Peter Duggan

Shane O Donnell
John Conlon
Conor McGrath

Put Peter Duggan on frees penalties ect

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 22/01/2018 12:44:25    2069841

Link

I like your team Clooney with couple of changes, but nothing major, i think kelly and galvin in middle with a powerful half forward line is paramount.

Donal Touhy

Jason McCarthy
POC
Sheana Morey

David Fitzgerald
Conor Cleary
David McInerney

Tony Kelly
Colm Galvin

Niall Deasy
Jamie Shanahan
Peter Duggan

Shane O Donnell
John Conlon
Conor McGrath

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 22/01/2018 14:58:54    2069884

Link

Good to get the win as well as a pretty decent performance.
Touhy looked steady without ever being troubled despite 1 or 2 poor puckouts - i hope we stick with him now in every gme as there has been too many changes here over the past 4 seasons!!
Kelly and mcgrath seemed a long way from sharpness, hopefully they're building slowly for champo.
David fitz was excellent, becoming one of our most consistent players.
Thought Peter Duggan was harshly treated having the frees taken off him so early he did miss 3 but they were tough ones.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 28/01/2018 23:27:15    2071703

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "There's no one 'digging' at Clare. Clare are our nearest and dearest neighbours for Limerick City people at least. We can surely have a discussion on each other's teams like we have done for 100 plus years.
If you read back my original point I said the Clare could be in serious decline if they fail this year. You took me up wrong as you said I judged you on one match in January. I haven't.
You aren't totally wrong about the Na Piarsaigh guys. But Dowling picked up an All Star in 2014 and his limitations are known as are his qualities. Put it this way. For the last 4 to 5 years Clare have had more talent at their disposal than Limerick. That coin has flipped and I believe Limerick have a significantly better squad than Clare do right now. At least 42 Limerick players playing Fitzgibbon cup this year.
I would love the know Clare supporters take on Kelly and the wides.?"
Here we go again. Limerick lads building up their team without having played a meaningful game. I laughed last year when some of ye claimed they could see no way Clare could beat them in the championship. The delusion is strong in limerick. Ye are your own worst enemies. Concentrate on getting out of 1b and we will talk then

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 29/01/2018 00:32:45    2071724

Link

Kelly and McGrath are not in form but this will come. Class will shine through. Cleary was not really tested to be honest. I am not confident with that full back line but there were not really tested so tougher matches for them to follow. Any time you beat Tipp it's a good day.

Malone was superb yesterday and my man of the match. He gets a bit of stick but I would always have him start we need his physicality and if he can tag on a couple of points all the batter. Shane o Donnell is priceless to Clare. Selfless player who scares corner backs to death.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 29/01/2018 00:38:32    2071725

Link

It wasnt pretty and tipp were here to win as they brought on 4 big guns but he dug it out. kelly and Galvin were well below par but both worked very hard. Keep at the basics are their class will tell.

I have to save Malone was totally proven me wrong the last 12 months, he is godo ball winner, great worker n now chipping in with scores.

David Fitz is flying it, real powerhosue. It is early days and when the grounds get faster i think morey has to go back in to the fb line but good to get the win and nice to see us fight and scrap. I wouldnt make many changes for next day, we need consistency of selection.

On a side note, very sad to hear of Conor Ryans retirement. A good hurler and a lovely lad and its such a pity but there is more to life than sport and he packed a lot into his short career.

All the Best Conor and thanks for the memories.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 29/01/2018 08:55:58    2071758

Link

I can see what the management are doing with cleary at full back, they realise that a pure hurler is not necessairly what is required. He is excellent in the air, strong and will do what is required. With at o'connor at 3, he may have been a little too small and possibly not dogged enough, i think davy mac is wasted at fullback when he plays there - hopefully he will continue to grow into the number 6 jersey for the next 7 or 8 years!! I dont think cian dillon ever really looked comfortable at fullback at this level.
We need to persist with him now i feel, because he looks like a good fit for the requirements of the position. Also he will have bad days - as every player that has ever played has had. Someday he will be taken for 1-4, but these things happen every player and we need to persist now - similarly with touhy. Id love to see that defensive spine of touhy/cleary/ mcinerney settle in there for a a least 4 or 5 years. We need that stability. If galvin and kelly can keep an effective balance at midfield and become much more dominant there then that gives us a great basis of a sid spine.

I think yesterdays team is possibly only 1 player off our best (aswell as shanagher to return next year), the one current change i see is either oisin o'brien or jamie shanahan to come in. One of those 2 for jack browne. Oisin would be a direct sway, whereas if shanahan comes in morey would go to the corner. I think people have been very unfair in their criticism of oisin, he's an excellent man marker - while not being the most natural hurler i think he can be very effective. People also seem to have forgotten that shanahan was our best player last year when tipp beat us - when he played wing back.

Lastly ive had my doubts for the last few years but cathal malone is proving a lot of us wrong, he seems to be playing with real confidence and has become a proper scoring threat. All credit due to him, he's a nailed on starter now

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1810 - 29/01/2018 11:19:31    2071836

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I can see what the management are doing with cleary at full back, they realise that a pure hurler is not necessairly what is required. He is excellent in the air, strong and will do what is required. With at o'connor at 3, he may have been a little too small and possibly not dogged enough, i think davy mac is wasted at fullback when he plays there - hopefully he will continue to grow into the number 6 jersey for the next 7 or 8 years!! I dont think cian dillon ever really looked comfortable at fullback at this level.
We need to persist with him now i feel, because he looks like a good fit for the requirements of the position. Also he will have bad days - as every player that has ever played has had. Someday he will be taken for 1-4, but these things happen every player and we need to persist now - similarly with touhy. Id love to see that defensive spine of touhy/cleary/ mcinerney settle in there for a a least 4 or 5 years. We need that stability. If galvin and kelly can keep an effective balance at midfield and become much more dominant there then that gives us a great basis of a sid spine.

I think yesterdays team is possibly only 1 player off our best (aswell as shanagher to return next year), the one current change i see is either oisin o'brien or jamie shanahan to come in. One of those 2 for jack browne. Oisin would be a direct sway, whereas if shanahan comes in morey would go to the corner. I think people have been very unfair in their criticism of oisin, he's an excellent man marker - while not being the most natural hurler i think he can be very effective. People also seem to have forgotten that shanahan was our best player last year when tipp beat us - when he played wing back.

Lastly ive had my doubts for the last few years but cathal malone is proving a lot of us wrong, he seems to be playing with real confidence and has become a proper scoring threat. All credit due to him, he's a nailed on starter now"
Yes I think that team yesterday very close to starting 15 (Deasy/Shanahan and maybe Corry will be pushing for starter places also} but like all the top teams do we have to settle on 15 we are not dealing with an u-12 team anymore where you want to give everyone a run

Stupid call taking Peter off the frees there was a breeze blowing from the Burren crossfield he has struck 2 good ones missed 2/3 from 90 + metres gave David R next one on the D baffling as no less a freetakes than Colin Ryan said so too

Reidy a must on this team too good to leave off great engine and John Conlon offers so much at full forward always did he must spend some time there at least Tony Kelly needs to deliver on a constant basis as well not enough work rate

Sad to hear Conor Ryan retired is it true so young big loss if so hope he fully recovers

A win in Nolan Park will get us buzzing again things looking up i think.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 29/01/2018 12:42:14    2071896

Link

Hex Shanahan's man took him for 4 points last year against Tipp. He hurls a lot of ball but he is lose. He is better in half forwards. Podge is no longer a first teamer for me, he is better coming on as an impact sub.

I agree with rest of your post though, lets try n keep a settled spine and stick with them for a good run of games. I saw Gearoid McInerney in league against us at wingback in 2015 and he looked very very average and now he is an All Star centre back.

Jason McCarthy, Niall Deasy and Ian Galvin need to get some starts in this league campaign as well.

Lets have a right cut off KK because we need to win at least one of the road plus Cork at home to be safe n get a 1/4 spot.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 29/01/2018 13:16:10    2071923

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Hex Shanahan's man took him for 4 points last year against Tipp. He hurls a lot of ball but he is lose. He is better in half forwards. Podge is no longer a first teamer for me, he is better coming on as an impact sub.

I agree with rest of your post though, lets try n keep a settled spine and stick with them for a good run of games. I saw Gearoid McInerney in league against us at wingback in 2015 and he looked very very average and now he is an All Star centre back.

Jason McCarthy, Niall Deasy and Ian Galvin need to get some starts in this league campaign as well.

Lets have a right cut off KK because we need to win at least one of the road plus Cork at home to be safe n get a 1/4 spot."
Let us look at the positive. Awin is a win. And the Clare players showed great courage,holding an when Tipp brought in five of their big guns in an effort to snatch back victory. S0 well done Clare, and now let us take down Killkenny.What a start that would be to the year!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 29/01/2018 18:45:08    2072119

Link

totally agree Boru, great to get the win.

Also, I might point out that under this mgmt, we seem to cough up less goals than we did when used a sweeper.

Maybe the backs are not as lazy as before and take ownership of certain situations.

As Hexpert said, there will be bad days with cleary at full back but it is worth persisting with for the league.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 978 - 31/01/2018 08:57:14    2072680

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "totally agree Boru, great to get the win.

Also, I might point out that under this mgmt, we seem to cough up less goals than we did when used a sweeper.

Maybe the backs are not as lazy as before and take ownership of certain situations.

As Hexpert said, there will be bad days with cleary at full back but it is worth persisting with for the league."
WELL DONE,clare hurlers.YOU Went down to Nowlan Park, and took that game against Kilkenny by the scruff of the neck.You were all magnificent 1 would rate Mcinerney man of the match and was pleased for the full sixty minutes that Kelly gave it all.Atip of the hat too to our goalie.he had a great game.They should have won by more, and Icould not give any compliments to the ref,But Clare must avoid foulingso frequently,a big minus in their outings so far.Now Itrust they will give a break to as many as possible in their matches against Wexford and Waterford and keep all theiir big guns for Cork in Cusack ParkBut another win was great,and as former British leader said when the British Army won a battle against an insigificant country in the pacific c, " we can pause to bask in the gloryof the moment."Except beating Kilkenny in Nolan Park was a big deal!!!!!!!

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 04/02/2018 21:33:51    2074084

Link

Another victory albeit not being hugely impressive (excluding the first half of the first half). KK were missing a few so I am reluctant to over praise. That being said, any day you beat KK in Nowlan Park is a good day.

We can relax now somewhat and rotate. If we can beat a somewhat out-of-sorts Cork at home the next day we can make wholesale changes for Wexford and Limerick.

The year has started well and long may it continue. The most pleasing aspect, is that our least talked about hurlers are making the difference like Malone and Reidy. Kelly, Podge and McGrath have been off the boil this campaign so far and if they find their form then we will be very difficult opponents this year.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 05/02/2018 05:18:05    2074140

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Another victory albeit not being hugely impressive (excluding the first half of the first half). KK were missing a few so I am reluctant to over praise. That being said, any day you beat KK in Nowlan Park is a good day.

We can relax now somewhat and rotate. If we can beat a somewhat out-of-sorts Cork at home the next day we can make wholesale changes for Wexford and Limerick.

The year has started well and long may it continue. The most pleasing aspect, is that our least talked about hurlers are making the difference like Malone and Reidy. Kelly, Podge and McGrath have been off the boil this campaign so far and if they find their form then we will be very difficult opponents this year."
Good win atrocious wides though and still a lot of fouling thought ref harsh on a few times on us we are doing the basics well sliother being handled well we are looking like a more settled outfit now few players need to be tried Jason McCarthy Dara Corry especially

Good few players still to return to full fitness Conor McGrath Cian Dillon Aron Shanagher Rory Hayes Oisin O Brien Jamie Shanahan Paul Flanagan all could make a big difference come Summer time

Cathal Malone is getting a good few scores still missing a lot but that hopefully will be corrected

Roll on Cork

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 05/02/2018 10:21:20    2074175

Link