Carlow Forum

Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

TAFKANO1FAN. - And I'm amazed you don't remember one of the very rare occasions that a Carlow football team got to a leinster final and to be pipped at the post by 0-01, you don't even remember one of our own as in Larry Canavan, funny enough I only vaguely remember that game but then I was 11yrs old at the time.
As for your own club, like I say in theory they are a senior club but in practice they are not. (status is a variable, so for now you are not senior.)
And you expect me to remember, what's their names again.??

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1997 - 22/06/2015 21:43:36    1741274

Link

People forget that we went 4 games unbeaten in the league this year. If we assume that championship is twice as important as league it means we went two championship games unbeaten. Our best year since 2001. Well done to all involved.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 23/06/2015 10:16:19    1741354

Link

Did Carlow not qualify for the Leinster semi final a few years ago.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 23/06/2015 11:22:03    1741418

Link

Yes but only went one game unbeaten

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 23/06/2015 12:21:20    1741467

Link

In regard to Tullow GAA, it says it all really when clubs the size of the Fighting Cocks and Grange who have to fight tooth and nail to keep numbers up in their respective clubs year in year out that they are more successful than the likes of Tullow.

WonderBoy (Laois) - Posts: 217 - 25/06/2015 15:14:28    1742622

Link

The Carlow manager described in the nationalist that what carlow had achieved since the Laois game as Phenomenal. Is this some kind of joke? I sincerely hope so because if a ten point beating by Longford is regarded as progress then we are royally up the creek without a paddle.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 25/06/2015 18:46:08    1742756

Link

read that too pennypincher, i think they call it siege mentality, sticking 13 men behind the ball with the wind in your backs is tactics apparently. it becomes a bigger joke in there as each match passes.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1279 - 25/06/2015 21:34:53    1742847

Link

Hurling team winning league football final should not be happening and I know it's only the league and championship is a different ball game but this should not be happening

TopFan (Carlow) - Posts: 166 - 25/06/2015 21:54:48    1742857

Link

This is a beautiful day
It is a new day
We are together, we are unified
And all for the cause
Because together we got power
Apart we got power

primal scream, come together lyrics. sums up fro me what mlr have in spades! well done to them.
ps and this 1 day after the county 21s played - 3/4 must have played both?

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2609 - 26/06/2015 10:10:04    1742922

Link

Rangers winning the football is great news for them. What an achievement!

The rest of the clubs need to have a look at themselves if a hurling club can win!

It's a bit if a insult for some to bemoan the demise of Tullow. There are quite a few in Tullow who have and are working hard to keep the game going, and who are trying to improve their club.

People should be careful who they criticise!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 26/06/2015 20:50:06    1743286

Link

@Carlowman, a few people who are trying to keep the GAA going in a town of a couple of thousand is pathetic.

No-one is questioning those peoples loyalty but there is no way anyone can defend Tullow or its people (those who aren't involed) who have stood by and watched both their hurling and gaelic teams fail year in year out.

WonderBoy (Laois) - Posts: 217 - 30/06/2015 12:10:39    1745303

Link

What amazes me is that there seems to be some notion that everyone must be forever loyal to the GAA, and by not making sure the GAA is strong in there town they are in some way letting other down. Grow up lads, I am and have been heavily involved myself but people have the right to choose what they do, the GAA do not have a monopoly on the hearts and minds of people

Dropkickmurphy (Carlow) - Posts: 85 - 02/07/2015 12:32:27    1746424

Link

Well I see things differently, in that nothing amazes me anymore, but some things need a second look, for example the history books will show that Tullow was more than reasonable successful senior gaa club up to and including the mid 1960's so if you read through the club's history you will notice a steady decline in the club's fortunes since then.
I reckon that there is 160 sq Km that takes in Tullow and the surrounding area, coupled with that it has a huge population, yet St. Pat's last senior football championship success was in 1964, the history books will also show that they have been on a steady decline since and are now playing out of div.3.
Tullow CS was hugely successful during the 1990's at county, provincial and national level, yet St. Pat's did not reap the benefits from Tullow CS success.

Perhaps that's one reason as to why the county footballers are not successful, because small matters like that go unnoticed.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1997 - 02/07/2015 14:21:18    1746485

Link

There is no argument that they declined over the years, but they arent unique in that regard. The day of unquestioning loyalty to the GAA is gone and so be it. The clubs have to work harder on how they treat the players etc. We now have a situation where most clubs see the players as their porperty and feel they have a right to dictate how the player lives his or her life. No wonder some lads just drift off. As an aside the Tullow CS sucesses over the years was never going to assist St Patricks to any great degree, with a splattering of players from Rathvilly, Clonmore, Ballon and the Cocks making up a large percentage of the succesful teams that they have had.

Dropkickmurphy (Carlow) - Posts: 85 - 02/07/2015 14:56:54    1746510

Link

A lot of lads going on about how sucessful the tcs teams were in the past but if you look back over those teams there are very few lads actually from tullow on them

hangup (Carlow) - Posts: 46 - 02/07/2015 17:40:10    1746600

Link

Yeah drop kick no argument there. But have youseen their Rugby team? They are really really bad so it's not as if they excel at this sport and have decided this is for us.Asaics the rugbyis just anexcuse for winter drinking sessions.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 04/07/2015 10:54:11    1747284

Link

@Supersub The mid 60's was 50 years ago. Straws. Clutching. At. As for Tullow CS 'success,' (which hardly made them the Blackrock College of Football by any means) of course Tullow didn't reap the rewards. Rathvilly did. i.e. where most of the best players came from. Until 1983, Rathvilly had never won a SFC.. now they have 8.. and in the 90's were the only Carlow club capable of putting it up to the dominant Eire Og.

@pennypincher Correct. Some here are under the illusion that Tullow have some kind of amazing Rugby team. Fact is they play in the 2nd tier of Leinster club rugby, which is itself the 7th tier nationally! alongside such luminaries as Malahide, Clondalkin and Longford (County Carlow are, btw, now in the 3rd tier provincially or 8th nationally!!). There is some kind of myth out there that Carlow is noted Rugby stronghold. We have 2 (very poor) Rugby clubs who are both struggling for numbers at all age levels. For context, Wexford has 4 rugby clubs and Kildare has 7!! Carlow has NO senior rugby club. Louth, Tipperary & Kildare have 2 each and Meath, Westmeath, Wicklow and Offaly all boast one. So please cut this nonsense about Carlow rugby!!
Furthermore, there is a notion that Bernard Jackman and Sean O'Brien were both developed by Tullow. Jackman attended Newbridge College, which at that time was a top 3/4 rugby school and also developed other internationals like Jamie Heaslip. After school, he joined Coolmine and then Clontarf. Bernard hasn't actually played for Tullow since he was around 11!! Sean O'Brien, to be fair, was more closely connected with the club. But he is a unique talent.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 04/07/2015 12:03:23    1747307

Link

Cheers for the facts taf.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 04/07/2015 12:08:41    1747308

Link

@TAFKANO1FAN
County: Carlow

Posts: 574 I was kind of aware that the mid 60's was 50 years ago, but thanks for the maths lesson never the less.I was making the point that 1964 was the last time St. Pats won a SFC title, and from that point in time the decline in standards kicked in. Clutching at straws with reference to Tullow CS success, I am to say the least saddened by that belitteling remark, if for no other reason than the success of the school during those years will in my opinion, NEVER be equalled. I never suggested or implied that TullowCS was comparable in any way to Blackrock College or any other such College, enough said.

Keep in mind I might know a bit more about Rathvilly, it's history and it's SFC success's, failures and other related issues than you do, trust me.

The hair splitting, micro scopic fact finding mission that you set out on to dismiss,,devalue, Tullow CS, Parkville Utd, Tullow RC is to say the least be littleing. I never suggested or implied that Tullow have some kind of an "Amazing" rugby team, but, yes they may be playing in the 2nd tier of LCR and County Carlow may be in the 3rd tier so be it.
" Carlow is a Rugby strong hold", that myth does not belong to me, neither does may I add, the number of clubs in Kildare,Wexford, Louth, Tipperary,Meath,Westmeath,Wicklow and Offaly interest me in the least, so, so much for that nonsence.
Tullow rugby andCounty Carlow rugby may be playing out of the 2nd and 3rd tier respectively, but the fact of the matter is the Carlow senior football team is playing out of div.4 now for years, and to put that into context that's a lower base than tier 2 or tier 3 in rugby, enough said.

As far as I am concerned Bernard Jackman and Sean O'Brien kicked their first rugby ball in Tullow, IMO they are a product of Tullow RC and excelled after that, where they went to school/colledge after that is irrevelant, like all good Tullow sports men they are a unique talent, it's a pity to see it "Untapped"

To the disappointment of another poster, Pun not intended.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1997 - 06/07/2015 15:22:25    1748572

Link

Supersub,

How would the 7th tier of Rugby (Junior) be better than the 4th tier of GAA (senior). Rugby has 5 senior divisions, by the way, and no Carlow clubs are in any of them. As for the 'success' of Tullow CS in the 90's.. could you please remind me what they actually won? and what grade it was? And wasn't it restricted to 'techs' and Community Schools only? Meaning that the likes of Carlow CBS and Knockbeg couldn't enter?
Lastly, you keep banging on about Ber Jackman and Sean O'Brien and how 'Tullow' they are. Jackman is actually from Coolkenno. He played Juvenile GAA for Shillelagh - isn't that in county Wicklow? And Sean is from the Fighting Cocks, not Tullow.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 06/07/2015 16:13:18    1748656

Link