Carlow Forum

Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Very important game for Carlow football this evening in Longford.

Its a make or break game in that the future of the game in the county is dependent on a decent performance for the team and their management and for all who are behind wanting the county team to do well.

Best wishes to all involved.
Players have a responsibility tonight to really put in a good performance - for the future of the game.

I think its that important.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 20/06/2015 12:49:09    1739774

Link

will agree with you on that carlowman

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1279 - 20/06/2015 13:52:47    1739804

Link

A make or break game is correct, unfortunately it was a break game and that sum's it up.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1997 - 20/06/2015 20:40:21    1739998

Link

Well Taf and supersub do ye still think laois are the second best team in Leinster? if ever we needed proof of the dire state of football here we got it in spades tonite.

hammered by a team that had just shipped their biggest ever beating. Hope ye all took my advice and backed Longford with the handicap.Hope the so called dream management team do the decent thing now.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 20/06/2015 20:55:13    1740009

Link

Carlowman I admire your optimism if nothing else. Having seen the team how could you possibly think they were ever going to get anything other than a hiding tonight.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/06/2015 20:58:44    1740015

Link

Few lads quick to dog management team but who would ye get instead??

hangup (Carlow) - Posts: 46 - 20/06/2015 21:04:49    1740023

Link

Well I don't know but someone who is able to prepare a team a little better than this one has been prepared.And who would spend less time making videos of training sessions perhaps.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/06/2015 21:12:20    1740037

Link

Team set up well in first half. Was is On Mahoney's role with the setup. This management team must be given time. Had a decent start to the season

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 20/06/2015 21:45:40    1740065

Link

There is no choice but to stick with the management no one would touch the job ... Well done to all who committed and stuck with it through the season, however there is no point in 10 new lads coming in next season, back to square one again and there ain't 10 of that standard out there. next year o'mahoney has the general election don't think he will be on the scene foe obvious reasons

Anyways the current system is not working and we are being left behind, the GAA need to throw money into counties like ourselves, proper coaching not crèches, work through schools as the minor club scene is not producing players. Also clubs must look at themselves some of the county board discussion is surreal - lamenting the standard of player in co squads yet who are coaching players in the first instance ??? A lot of the problems are fixable if we can compete with the likes of Laois in hurling as an example surely we can do so in football?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 468 - 21/06/2015 10:51:19    1740122

Link

Bad day for Carlow football, seemed to have no interest in attacking, trying to a play a system that doesn't work with these players, how much more can players and supporters take.

Also anyone know why the stand wasn't open?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 21/06/2015 13:08:18    1740183

Link

There is no way that Turlough is going anywhere! I would say he is there for the next couple of years. And Bannisteoir i'm guessing that will bring in 10 plus new players next - certainly he will bring up a lot of the u21's. He needs them to make up the numbers at training that will enable them to play 15 v 15 practise games? Its irrelevant that they may not be intercounty standard.

Last night Longford could have been beaten if the team had been set up properly. With a very strong wind in the first half, i counted 14 Carlow men behind the ball at one stage! He replaced one of the corner backs and his replacement was cleaned out of it, no change made! They made no positional changes whatsoever either with or against the wind. To watch lads hand passing the ball over and back, getting closed down and eventually losing the ball when a better option would have been to kick it up the field, but because of the way the team is set up there is no one in the forwards to kick it to or you have one forward surrounded with 3/4 backs! It must be very frustrating to play in a team like this because its certainly frustrating to watch - crowd the defense, turnover the ball and hope that players can break up the field and score. We don't have the type of players in Carlow to play this sort of football.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 21/06/2015 13:51:55    1740203

Link

@deadasdodos Leix, Westmeath, Kildare and Meath are all vying for the poisoned chalice of 2nd best team in Leinster. Any of them can beat another on any given day. Leix are the best on league form. But, let's be clear, they are all rubbish when compared to the top teams. As for your comments about the management? Do you really think it's that simple? Andy Shorthall, Paul Bealin, Anthony Rainbow, John Kearns etc. all stood down in last 10 years and what changed? You had Luke Dempsey here and you all couldn't wait to get rid of him..

@pennypincher Who would you get and what difference would it make? Would we win the Leinster? Get out of Division 4?

@jackl Go away and troll another county. You are insufferable.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 21/06/2015 14:37:24    1740212

Link

As i said earlier Taf I simply don't know. However this management team were touted up as being the solution to all our problems. I well remember the Co. chairman eulogizing about the appointment. Well given all that and the horrendous cost of the senior footballers it has manifestly been a complete failure. I know if I was TOB and my team had performed like Carlow did vLaois and longford I would resign immediately. It ain't gonna get any better, is it?

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 22/06/2015 10:35:02    1740704

Link

I didn't agree with the appointment of this management, I know for a fact that they didn't do enough to get the right players in. But it Gave them a chance to prove me wrong and tbh the first few games of the year they were doing just that, we played well enough in the o'byrne cup and the Antrim game was a good showing, we didn't play well again after that although they put a huge effort into the Offaly game. Had a good win in Dungarvan but that must be seen in context as Waterford had a very poor year too after a good start. I didn't go Saturday night as i have seen enough of that for one year, it's unwatchable ATM. Can someone do better I believe so and I also believe the right manager can get better players in. From what I can see right now one club seems to have nearly all the jobs in carlow football that can't be good that must change too

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1279 - 22/06/2015 10:59:15    1740724

Link

TAFKANO1FAN, - Correction required on a couple of your comments, 1. "Tommy Carr seems to think Croke Park should send us a wheelbarrow of money etc."- Tommy Carr never suggested that as far as I am aware.

2." Except Tullow, which seems to have no great interest in any sport." IMO that's a bit insensitive and an OTT comment. For the record Parkville Utd. soccer club is very much alive, active and very much competitive, they cater for a number of teams including womens, and are reasonably successful.

3. In case your not aware, Tullow rugby club is also up and running quiet a few years now and doing reasonably well, for a town like Tullow who by your analysis don't seem to have an interest in any sport, Tullow RFC managed to produce not one but two of Irelands rugby legends in the names of Bernard Jackman and Sean O'Brien, who played not only national but international rugby at the highest level.

As I said in a previous post when Tullow CS was winning not only county titles but national titles the gaa in it's entirety failed to tap into their success.

Other players from Tullow to represent their club and county in recent times were, James Clarke, Padraig Murphy, Larry Canavan, and Jack Kennedy.
A few short years ago when the Dub's pipped Carlow at the post in the leinster u/21 final by 0-01, Larry Canavan gave a five star performance and was responsible for most of Carlow's scores.

Jack Kennedy another good Tullow man, he may not set the football world on fire but give Jack the ball and he'll do the rest. He was no where to be seen at the Longford game, we were being beaten out the gate, a few scores was needed but no sign of Jack, I wonder why.?

So Tullow in the sporting world is very much alive and well and because they don't operate out of "Bro Leo Park" or "NCP" dosen't mean to say they are not involved in sport, they very much are.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1997 - 22/06/2015 11:48:32    1740777

Link

@pennypincher Turlough was talking about "next year" on the Sunday Game so that probably answers that!

@Barrowsider Yeah... agreed about the weird situation where one club (hint - rhymes with fair) seem to have all the jobs. Although that said, I don't suspect there is a massive queue for the positions..

@supersub15 Tommy Carr said that Carlow should get the same money as Dublin on Saturday Sport on RTE Radio 1. Oisin McConville and our own Willie Quinlan later joined him in a debate you should listen to.
As for Tullow. Parkville is a junior soccer club, for God's sake and Tullow RFC is a junior rugby club. You are seriously clutching at straws! Not to mention that most Tullow RFC players are not actually from Tullow, like Sean O'Brien for instance who is from the Fighting Cocks. Furthermore, Tullow did not produce Bernard Jackman. Newbridge College produced Jackman and he played his club rugby with Clontarf. And you think Larry Canavan played a pivotal role against Dublin "a few short year's ago?" - how old are you? 270? You must if you think over 30 years ago was a "few short years!"

ps. could you let me in on the secret of your longevity?
pps. You are right btw, if Jack Kennedy had played against Longford we probably would have won by 20 points or more. Especially if we had Lee Harvey Oswald in the other corner, with Robert McNamara and Bobby Kennedy in midfield.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 22/06/2015 12:40:26    1740836

Link

TAFKANO1FAN. - It's said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, so wit that said, I never suggested or implied that Parkville Utd, or Tullow RFC were NOT junior clubs, I did say they were active, competitive and reasonably successful,
I would suggest to you however in relation to Bernard Jackman and Sean O Brien two great Tullow men, you should throw out the shovel and leave it at that.

I never suggested that should Jack Kennedy have played we would have won, what I did say was, "He was no where to be seen at the Longford game, we were being beaten out the gate, a few scores was needed but no sign of Jack, I wonder why".?

As for my age TAFKANO1FAN. No I'm not 270, I'll tell you this much, I walked away from football in 2001/02 and had no regrets either then or since, so no I'm not 270. As for Larry Cannavan I never met the man but his name comes up from time to time in the football circles.

Having now established that you are much older than I am, could you let me in on the secret of your longevity? Seeing as that you know so much about gaa players that I never heard tell of, when you say, "Especially if we had Lee Harvey Oswald in the other corner, with Robert McNamara and Bobby Kennedy in midfield", that's going back a long, long way.

PS. Your own club is senior in theory only but they have a long, long way before they are senior in practice, and don't tell me I'm clutching at straws, that's a fact.

PPS. Words of wisdom from our Laois friend WonderBoy, - "Carlow would win countless All Irelands at excuse making. Its about time your people, players, county board etc all stood up and start solving the problems that lie in your county instead of complaining about it".

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1997 - 22/06/2015 17:16:18    1741099

Link

@supersub LOL! I'm amazed you don't remember Oswald and McNamara... great players. As for my club.. er, they are not senior. They are intermediate.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 22/06/2015 17:34:27    1741111

Link

Listening to Quinlivan on Saturday evening, he said that he would have been delighted going up to Longford, if Carlow could keep the scoreline under 10 points. While they achieved that, I expected a lot more against a Longford side still reeling from the Croke Park trouncing.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 22/06/2015 18:30:11    1741150

Link

Well he is the under 21 manager anything under 10 is worthy of song almost

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1279 - 22/06/2015 21:06:04    1741249

Link