Carlow Forum

U21 County football team 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tafkano1fan: A more relevant question which you might be able to answer for us: where was Graham Delaney, Lee Walker and Benny Keating last night? They are probably your strongest players in the grade and none of them were on the panel.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 20/02/2013 14:11:44    1336673

Link

I can't answer that because I am not involved - I threw out a general question with no malice intended.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 20/02/2013 14:17:20    1336674

Link

I know it was a tough ask, Dublin away was always going to be a hard night on the field, with no back door as mentioned earlier but for a County team to play anyone & return 2 points on the scoreboard is shocking! Is it a case we still turn up at these fixtures, throw out 15 jerseys and say "out you go boys & do your best"? Where are the structures in Carlow underage preparation? Where is our 10 year plan of development, with joined up thinking to establish a County ethos and create a tradition if not of success at least of competitiveness? We seem to just wait and hope that a particular talented group may come along at the one time and success will follow, and when or more precisely if that ever happens wait til you see officialdom jump on the band wagon & slap each other on the back! We are a County with a full time development officer so what has changed, what is changing??? In a County with some awful results down the years this has to be up there with the worst, but as they (County Board) say... time is a great healer, today's embarrassment is tomorrows distant memory, until the next time the "Gael's" of this County send out our kids like lambs to the slaughter!

Fenaghman (Carlow) - Posts: 28 - 20/02/2013 14:35:19    1336690

Link

hard to believe that on st patricks day in 2010 our u21 footballers lost to dublin by a single point after extra time in the leinster semi final in dr cullen park. that was a game we left behind & as usual some terrible referee decisions went against us. dublin went on to win that all-ireland. how in gods name do we go from that to last nights hammering?????? very sad to see & all the good work that was done with underage teams in the oo,s is no longer happening. our minor hurlers & footballers reached back to back leinster finals for the first time in 2006 & 2007 but that feels like a lifetime ago now. very depressed.

carlo (Carlow) - Posts: 100 - 20/02/2013 14:43:36    1336702

Link

How can we have contested a Leinster semifinal (which we should have won) only 2 years ago and take a beating such as last night in a short space of time. I'll be interested in what excuses the County Board come up with for this one. Perhaps Dublin have an exceptionally strong team but to only score 2 points over the course of an hour is shocking. Why was our U21 manager only appointed 2 months ago and why did we have to go outside the county to appoint someone - was there no one qualified or interested within the county who would have taken the job? On who's recommendation did we appoint the manager and was anyone else considered?
Lets hope this wont be brushed under the carpet as just a bit of bad luck running into Dublin in the first round!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 20/02/2013 15:07:14    1336720

Link

Very good points Fenaghman. In defence of the County; very few other counties have a genuine development strategy. (look at Kerry, who are struggling now to replace esablished seniors). The only county I know that has any recognisable underage programme is Dublin and they are reaping the rewards now. One of our problems is that the people in charge do not know how to go about it. Another is many clubs are a shambles and are struggling to exist. Or they only care about their own patch. Minro football has been poor for years with one team dominating. No coaching being done. we reap what we sow. We need stronger clubs.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 20/02/2013 15:14:47    1336728

Link

Lee Walker is injured, Graham is playin soccer with wexford youths and Benny was involved but ended up leaving the panel.

youngsblues (Carlow) - Posts: 23 - 20/02/2013 15:17:39    1336730

Link

Thats a pity young Blues. Good footballers all 3. Blues supported the team well with 5 or 6 on the panel and a selector too

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 20/02/2013 15:25:03    1336734

Link

What are our full time development officers at? Our co. board should hang their heads today.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/02/2013 17:01:32    1336811

Link

Same old story in some ways. Blame the county board! I read on facebook this morn one player who thanked the lafs who did man up and play this yr and he didnt spare those who decided against it. We continue to gloss over the fact that we re a v poor attitude towards the county teams at times. I know ever team is down an odd lad they d like in but we seem to have loads. And the usual excuses. I d say some made the decision to opt out after looking at the draw. The players who turn up are let down by those who dont time and again. But make sire and blame management anyhow. You d get fed up with it. We all heard the stories of what goes on. I personally know 5/6 of last nights panel and no better lads will you get. They are gutted but they know the reasons why they ended up being so well beaten. How can you have a 10 yr plan without committed players? Also the huge overlap of potential u21s on the senior panels isnt helpful to the grade. I think the senior hurlers have 12 u21s in their ranks. Not all fballers i know, but that has to account for some lack of prep.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2621 - 20/02/2013 17:39:09    1336834

Link

Yellar try and improve your grammar so we can read your posts. from what I can gather we should blame the players who dont commit, am I right in that? Who else is responsible for last nights debacle? Surely you cannot absolve a Co. board who only appoint a trainer six weeks before playing the All ireland champions. Everyone knows that Carlow were never going to win last night but to send out young lads so unprepared was disgraceful and stands as a clear indictment of our Co. Board whether you like it or not.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/02/2013 18:30:26    1336882

Link

Pennypincher is right. Old Yellar is right. too many players are influenced by others who don't encourage them, who tell them they are wasting their time and who then ridicule them on message boards. Everyone is part of the problem in the county and part of the solution.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 20/02/2013 18:57:32    1336905

Link

Thanks penny i ll do my best on grammar front.. my point is as always we look elsewhere rather than the players attitude. I doubt we ll have many lafs breaking down our door looking to manage our teams, especially the football ones, given the attitude problems with some lads. Our county is limited numberwise and at certain times we let players dictate too much as we re afraid of losing them. In the quote i read from a starting player, there was no bitterness towards the county board. Players are no ejits and they realise after a while whos really letting them down.. what you think of the point i made with regards to senior overlap?

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2621 - 20/02/2013 19:02:22    1336908

Link

I agree totally on overlap, I think its ridiculous to have that sort of level. A lot of these lads will give up far too early because of pressure, burn out etc. Leave them alone until they are out of u21 at least. Occasionally you get an exception but generally young lads are not up to it at that age.How are hurlers shaping, will they be able for step up.Wex seem to be going fairly well.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/02/2013 20:03:15    1336942

Link

Penny i looked at last 2 posts and saw at least 5/6 wrong spellings! See what you mean now.. worst about a small screen.. yeah i agree. Youth is grand but you ve to look at the longterm lifespan of a county player too. Hard to see any other senior panel with as many but open to correction. Our minor and u21 teams tend to have a lot of year young players and this tends to be the difference v better counties. Someone else made the point about the v good team of 2010 and how we ve gone backwards. But at this grade theres no link over that space of time.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2621 - 20/02/2013 20:21:57    1336947

Link

Just a few thoughts on the panel this year. The B;ues supported the panel very well. The question has to be asked as to where were most of the current under 21 champions eire og. Surely Chris Blake , Niall Quinlan, Young Swan and Conor Murphy should have opted in. Super footballers all and did the county minors proud last year. Fair play to the lads that turned up.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 209 - 20/02/2013 20:32:39    1336952

Link

What is wrong with Carlow football? poor underage structures? Most teams have decided before the year starts that they wont bother preparing for minor because of Eire Og. only been 5 different winners in the past 20 years of the minor? Bad Eire Og teams win it with a little work. How long is it it since the Blues won a minor - there was a time when they dominated it , with the size of their pick? Its better in U21 grade but i can only think of Eire Og Myshall Rathvilly Tinryland in last 10 years. No wins by Blues, Tullow or Bagenalstown teams since......auld Gods time. Rathvilly gone backwards too and only 1 or 2 minor wins in last 20 years. The Blues won senior 3 in a row but disappeared very quick. They were nearly all U21 when they won the first. Biggest problem in Carlow is the Clubs and too many of them are not doing the spadework. We harvest what we sow.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 20/02/2013 20:55:42    1336963

Link

Lads, just wondering who did the scoring for you the other night? Will they/he get a call up ton seniors?

MickODire (Wicklow) - Posts: 109 - 21/02/2013 10:14:05    1337028

Link

I see our County Board chairman is blaming everyone else for our performance on Tuesday night in one of todays national newspapers. Why is it always someone elses fault. Surely its time for the county to take responsibility for whats happening with football in this county. I didnt hear anyone from Carlow calling for seedings 2 years ago when we should have beaten Dublin in this age category - i think we were giving out about referees after that one! The fact is there is no proper underage structure for football in this county worth talking about. Why are the players not coming in to play with county at all age levels and the skill level of alot of lads is below standard. Compare this to our hurlers who have a much smaller pick than the footballers but the work being done at underage level in schools, clubs etc along with having some very good underage managers are all contributing to success at senior level over that last number of years. What is the job of our Leinster coaches and who is the person in charge of promoting games in this county - i think it was Michael Dempsey but i'm sure he is no longer in charge?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 21/02/2013 10:20:02    1337031

Link

MickoDoire, We in glass houses should not trow stones.

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 427 - 21/02/2013 11:22:27    1337071

Link