Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Says in the review of the game that Brendan Murphy saw red. Two yellows, I hope?

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 263 - 17/02/2013 21:08:08    1335355

Link

2 yellows it was !

He'll be ok for Leitrim game

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1034 - 17/02/2013 21:25:35    1335369

Link

I think that if we can get Gannon, Lawler, ST.Ledger, John Murphy(not jst for 10mins) back then we are in with a shout at promotion. However I dont think we are going to make it with sats starting 15. Too many passengers and Murphyand Hayden cant carry them all.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 18/02/2013 11:43:58    1335486

Link

I must be missing something - all i saw on Saturday was Carlow reverting back to mistakes of the past, poor decision making, lads playing in incorrect positions, not making changes quick enough - i guess 'old habits die hard' and it will take many a match to see off our bad habits that have hounded Carlow football for years. This was London we were playing who are below us on the league table and that with the exception of the year Mickser Condon was in charge we have beaten reasonably comfortably every year. There have always been 2 games which at the start of each year we assume we will win and that was Kilkenny and London. I thought London were the better team on the day and if it wasnt for 2 or 3 of the Carlow lads stepping up we would have lost. There was alot of relieved sighs around me at the final whistle! As Barrowsider said if that was to be our 'off' day then im glad it was against London.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 18/02/2013 13:38:06    1335549

Link

dual you are right, and if it had been anyone else we would have been roasted on sat. it was a performance that mirrored th dcu game, now that is worrying. but pulling through it must be seen as a good sign. supersub he made the very sam mistake in the laois game last year. not downing the fella but them kind of mistakes cost you games

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1278 - 18/02/2013 14:32:52    1335578

Link

There seems to be over representation from one club IMO. They didnt even make county final.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 18/02/2013 14:38:51    1335587

Link

Pennypincher - well thats funny you should mention that as i have thought this for a while! But its the sort of comment that could get you slaughtered on here!! To be honest if a lad is good enough i dont care what club he comes from and if the starting 15 are all from the one club as long as they are the best we have in that position i say fair play. But this one lad i personally think struggles game after game and yet continues to be picked and left on regardless. Perhaps he is flying in training because other than that i cant understand it? I personally would bring back Conor Lawlor to full back move Shane Mernagh to the corner and push Benny Kavanagh up to half back line. Bring Ray Walker up to the forwards or at least to midfield (he would have caused havoc against London if they had played him in the forwards). But Anthony Rainbow seems intent on this being his plan and i guess we had better give him a chance to see if it works out in the tougher games ahead.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 18/02/2013 15:19:07    1335614

Link

When the team was selected for Tipperary game a lot of people were skeptical. Then they were told that they had being proved wrong. The reality is that some of the players are not up to county standard. The scary thing is they are on the team for years now.It looks inevitable that we will be found out at some stage.Would like to see Martin Doyle getting a chance to prove himself.The county board missed an opportunity this year in not appointing someone with a prove record of selecting teams and a proven tactician. Rainbow could have been team coach.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 18/02/2013 15:26:40    1335619

Link

Lads I think your being a bit harsh with your comments about the selection of players and the ratio of players from one club on the panel. We have a panel of 30 players from what I could see on Saturday and I believe they are there or thereabouts the best 30 available at this present time.. Jj smith and Sean gannon have made themselves unavailable, and the only other player I can think who would improve that panel is p. broderick from tinyrland. Don't know if he was asked in. Barry lambe is injured at the moment. It's obvious that the player you are referring to is struggling at the moment and maybe rainbow should try someone else there maybe b. kavanagh at wing back and try someone in the corner but I don't know if we have anyone to fill that spot. But 2 wins from 2. And a panel full of committed players training 3/4/ nights a week it is better than it has looked for a long time.

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 18/02/2013 18:15:58    1335724

Link

Lads I think your being a bit harsh with your comments about the selection of players and the ratio of players from one club on the panel. We have a panel of 30 players from what I could see on Saturday and I believe they are there or thereabouts the best 30 available at this present time.. Jj smith and Sean gannon have made themselves unavailable, and the only other player I can think who would improve that panel is p. broderick from tinyrland. Don't know if he was asked in. Barry lambe is injured at the moment. It's obvious that the player you are referring to is struggling at the moment and maybe rainbow should try someone else there maybe b. kavanagh at wing back and try someone in the corner but I don't know if we have anyone to fill that spot. But 2 wins from 2. And a panel full of committed players training 3/4/ nights a week it is better than it has looked for a long time.

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 18/02/2013 18:17:51    1335727

Link

Great to have 4 pts after 2 games, doubt many of us would have expected that return. Sets us up lovely for the Leitrim game, a massive game for us.

Hopefully the manager and selectors will by then realise where the obvious weak spot is. Cost us the goal Saturday, did same in some league games last year and most importantly against Laois in qualifiers.
We need to play Lawlor at fb for that game, can use Redmond/Mernagh at 7.

Murtagh Ware needs to be involved too, either at midfield allowing Foley to play in half forwards or Ware in the half forward line himself.

Serious lack of pace in our forwards, we definitly need Ray Walker there to add point scoring from play ability and a bit of pace.
Agree about John Murphy, not so sure how close to full fitness he is, but need to be using him earlier in games.

Overall its a great start, but would be terrible to see an unexpected chance of promotion be thrown away by strange team choices and even stranger changes from the line.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1113 - 18/02/2013 18:48:23    1335747

Link

Firstly on the Tipp game as I previous predicted there was only one game Rainbow was interested in since they started back training and that was a win against Tipp. Thats part 1 out of the way. I would have thought part 2 and 3 would be to improve from that game and show consistency. This has been our downfall the past few years and going by Saturdays performance I am worried now again we are reverting back to {old form} Im finding it difficult to see how Ray Walker is going to work as an extra back. When we did get the ball, forwards were either too slow or there was no forward in position to pass it to. We have reverted back to the handpass at all costs instead of delivering the ball in quick. Midfield is in trouble and needs to be sorted quick. Ive said before Darragh is not in right position, Sat was the same holds onto the ball too long giving the opposition time to organise. Over all there was no urgency in the team, only for Derek Hayden I wonder would we have got ahead? Whats the story with Gannon? He claimed he opted off panel to get a rest as he has niggly injuries he wanted to clear up. If that is the case fair enough but why is he still playing for the college? the Leitrim game will tell us a lot. Make no mistake this game is vital. We need to improve 30% or we could be looking at another year in div 4.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 18/02/2013 19:32:09    1335766

Link

Played 2. Won 2. Drew 0. Lost 0. Points 4.
Well done Carlow. Keep it up. Tough games to come and dont expect promotion hopefuls to go through undefeated . One game at a time.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 18/02/2013 19:50:31    1335775

Link

We played two and won two but not decisively, in fact both by the minimum, it's great to have four point at this stage, however should Carlow be fortunate enough to get promoted with anything less than clear cut victories from here on it's no good. We don't at this stage have an established or settled starting fifteen, Leitrim are looking at Carlow and London for four points, and make no mistake about it they have us earmarked for the first two, they had a very successful FBD campaign, ok so they got off to a bad start in the league for reasons better known to themselves and thats what makes me approach this game with extreme caution as they are much better than their opening league results.
I would prefer to set in place this year a committed, and established team that selects it self with a bench of the same standard, work towards achieving third place in the league table this year and pull out all the stops for promotion next year, there's not much point in getting promoted this year if we can't stay up, and get relegated the following year, anyway we are a bit away yet from being a promotion prospect at this stage, but just a bit.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1996 - 18/02/2013 20:30:45    1335808

Link

Lads I know Im repeating myself but we wont get promoted with the team that started last Sat. Lets face it a very poor London team led us a merry dance for 50 mins. until they tired. Our forwards were poor, our backs were poor, only 3 players came out of game with credit viz. hayden, B. Murphy, and Walker (mainly for effort even tho beig played completely out of position).

Id agree with bringing Lawler in to full and put Mernagh in the corner, play redmond in half back line along with kavanagh. Murphy and Walker in the middle ,Foley at centre half and J. Murphy at full forward. Id also really try harded to get Gannon back as I dont think it would take a lot to persuade him back in. Hopefully Ledger wil be back soon, anyone know when?

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 19/02/2013 12:25:28    1335975

Link

We played two and won two but not decisively, in fact both by the minimum, it's great to have four point at this stage, however should Carlow be fortunate enough to get promoted with anything less than clear cut victories from here on it's no good. We don't at this stage have an established or settled starting fifteen, Leitrim are looking at Carlow and London for four points, and make no mistake about it they have us earmarked for the first two, they had a very successful FBD campaign, ok so they got off to a bad start in the league for reasons better known to themselves and thats what makes me approach this game with extreme caution as they are much better than their opening league results.
I would prefer to set in place this year a committed, and established team that selects it self with a bench of the same standard, work towards achieving third place in the league table this year and pull out all the stops for promotion next year, there's not much point in getting promoted this year if we can't stay up, and get relegated the following year, anyway we are a bit away yet from being a promotion prospect at this stage, but just a bit.

Well this really takes the biscuit...
Carlow cannot win in the eyes of some contributors on here. You are prepared o make allowances for Leitrim who lost their two games but criticise Carlow for winning there two games!
Can I suggest you don't ever put your name forward for team management!
Having opinions is all well and good but really who benefits from these posts?
What does a post like this add to Carlow football?
The only thing posts like this do is undermine players confidence in themselves and in the management team. I mean what are you going to write if we do lose a game or two?

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 19/02/2013 13:37:39    1336052

Link

have to agree with bennekerry.

this apparently is the first time we've won back to back league games since 98/99 and
instead of optimism we get negativity.

we werent great against london but i think london are better than the last few years
so well see if everyone can beat them.

London were beating offaly at ht and i think theyll win a few games this year.

The leitrim game is huge, i think well win it and its time for people to back the lads
who are training week in, week out.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1034 - 19/02/2013 14:00:32    1336075

Link

Carlovia i do back Carlow every time they play, I was hoarse after sat. Of course we are delighted to be winning but that doesnt mean that we automatically lose our objectivity. Anyone who was happy with Sat.s display is not living in the real world. I hope youre right about London cos we need teams taking points off each other but I wouldnt be banking on it.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 19/02/2013 14:19:40    1336094

Link

There is the argument that 'tis good to win when playing badly. One thing is that it has to be good for the mental self belief of the team to eke out hard won victories in tough close encounters, esp down to 14 men in the past two games.

I also agree London are an improving side and will be unlucky not to get a scalp or two before the end of the league.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 468 - 19/02/2013 14:42:25    1336116

Link

Heard that JJ Smith is back in the country so perhaps he will join the Carlow panel he would be a good addition. According to Nationalist today Daniel St. Ledger will be available for Leitrim game. Dont know about Sean Gannon - see he is playing soccer - perhaps he wants a rest from Gaelic?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 19/02/2013 15:07:44    1336134

Link