Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Real 1944 ----- Thanks for the info on St.Ledger.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 06/02/2013 13:17:28    1329496

Link

thanks dual, carlowforsam, it's very easy to pick a cpl of posts out of hundreds to try embarrass me, but i stand over what i say, the comment i made after the dcu match i happily withdraw, and i think i may have said somewhere else that it may have been down to the training and 3 matches in a week, but we did look well of the pace that day, going on last sunday we look much fitter than this time last year but that does not apply to all, we are still carrying some players and il stand by that. are you not happy enough just to get a win and move on, dwelling on these things is not good for you ;) you should be focused on your next game

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1280 - 06/02/2013 14:10:12    1329537

Link

Great to see the London match pushed out by a week. Will help preparations greatly

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 06/02/2013 14:39:43    1329566

Link

Carlowforsam you're a gas man, as a passionate Carlow supporter living outside the county I dream of victories like that one last Sunday, I didn't see it coming and if you were honest neither did you or most others see it coming either, but there is no doubt that that was a massive victory for Carlow football, why,? well Tipperary as we all know had a pretty good run in the McGrath cup accounting for Cork on the way, they have an All Ireland winning minor team coming through and a pretty reasonable U-21 team along with that they are only after leaving div.3.
The turning point in Carlow football hasn't happened yet, how is that?-well, we beat Louth in the LSF championship a couple of years ago and we were hammered by Wexford next time out, we drew with Meath last year but the inevitable happened in the replay. We finished third from the bottom in the league last year and gave a disastrous performance in the O'Byrne cup competition just finished so how could any real Carlow supporter be optimistic with that track record, admit ably we beat a fancied Tipp team last Sunday, but that's only one game with six more to follow, right now I'm looking forward to the London game, - - - - with caution, and then I'll take it from there.

dual supporter, thanks for maintaining the balance.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 06/02/2013 14:52:15    1329578

Link

Hear Hear, Dual. BOOOOOOOOOO carlowforsam.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 06/02/2013 19:01:02    1329707

Link

I think our obc camp gain was over analysed.now our win over tipp is being over analysed but not over rated.its far too early to talk of turning a corner but it's as good a league result as I can remember.i agree with barrowsider that some of the team selection have yet to prove themselves over a period of time.also our tactics need to be more flexible so as not to become predictable,Manet rotate which forward acts as sweeper.if its always the same player the opposition will simply use their best attacking defender to counter act.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 06/02/2013 20:21:13    1329762

Link

I agree with you Bimp about our defence. I would be worriedabout it tbh with you. Tipp. outscored us 9 points to 2 at one stage in first half on Sunday and scored 16 points which is huge at this time of year. We did rectify the situation in the second half in fairness so thats good. Id like to see Lambe ,lawler, P.Murphy, cashin back challenging for places there and hopefully that will happen soon.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 07/02/2013 09:35:23    1329836

Link

Limerick and Clare won to day as expected by most but the surprise result I thought was Waterford winning against Tipperary with some ease, so what does that say about our win last week, to me it was a hard earned one point win, so with Waterford and Limerick now the new pace setters and with Clare and Offaly still in the mix, where do you think at this stage do Carlow fit in.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 10/02/2013 17:30:57    1331512

Link

Interesting results this weekend. Tipp beaten again which means if they don't win every game they are almost certainly out of it. Offaly beaten by Limerick, good for us I think that it didn't finish in a draw which it nearly did. Leitrim beaten again and surely out of it as, unlike Tipp, they couldn't really be expected to have it in them to win all their remaining games. Leitrim's next game is against us in DCP so them being out of it already should help us. Waterford clearly flying it under Niall Curew, doing five sessions a week apparently and they seem to have all their big hitters available this year, Aherne, O'Lionan, Briggs etc. I'm happy that we don't play them until last and that it is at home - it could be winner take all. Beat London next Saturday and we'll be joint top with Limerick and Waterford who as it happens play one another in the next round when we play Leitrim at home which if we win would leave us and one of them as joint outright leaders with 100% records. I think the fixtures have turned out well for us and can help to build momentun as others drop out of contention as each round progresses.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 10/02/2013 17:32:54    1331516

Link

very tight again this weekend, as i suspected waterford are looking good, two great wins for them and they will fancy beating limerick too, at this stage it looks like tipp and leitrim are not going to be promoted, neither team can afford to lose again, i would still be hopeful though that they would take points from limerick and offaly. i usually call the divsion before the start, no predictions this time though, way to tight

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1280 - 11/02/2013 10:17:01    1331849

Link

Limerick the team to beat I think. Very difficult to predict anything at this stage. Agree that the top teams will probably drop points at some stage. It's hard to read in to results really...If you look back at the scorelines from the all the games it's hard to see an outright winner yet. Leitrim lose narrowly in Limerick and then get well beaten at home to Clare. They scored a late goal in that game. Limerick score 11 points against Leitrim and 12 against Offaly. Waterford have scored 3 goals in 2 games, interestingly 2 of their first 3 games are under lights in Dungarvan...Offaly only pulled away from London in the second half.
Carlow need a big scoreline this weekend!

carlowforsam (Carlow) - Posts: 50 - 11/02/2013 11:04:12    1331880

Link

Good news - Daniel St. Ledger had his MRI yesterday and got the all clear I understand. Should be back in a few weeks.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 12/02/2013 21:34:32    1333115

Link

We have London and Leitrim coming up in the next few games at home. Make no mistake we are definitely targeted by them as a possible win. On the other hand we certainly we should be looking to these as must-wins especially as they are at home, but there should be absolutely no complacency - glad to see Derek Hayden's comments.

In this division every team is capable of beating any of the others on a given day and the winners usually have a surprise loss along the way - indeed we have often beaten the eventual winners but to lose to weaker opposition. Consistency is the key. Our following two matches are away to both Limerick and Offaly, both of whom at the beginning would have been seen as Div 4 winners. We will see where they are at that stage. Already with two losses it seems Tipp's race is run, with Waterford doing nicely, as they say …

If we could target three out of three by that point we would know how the Division would be shaping up ...

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 470 - 13/02/2013 11:08:10    1333240

Link

Great to see St.Ledgers injury is not as bad as first thought and hope he's back sooner rather than later, how is Brendan Murphy's fitness coming along, will he make the starting fifteen soon. The game with London is a must win for Carlow any thing less and it's curtains, Leitrim will see their game with Carlow as the most likely one where they will collect their first league points as they beat us in DCP last year and that game will add to their confidance, so a near miss or a draw or worse against London is not an option for Carlow.
Leitrim and Tipperary wont finish the league pointless, they will collect some, it's just a matter of when and where.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 13/02/2013 22:00:44    1333746

Link

This could certainly be the group of death. Any two from five. There will be a lot of twists and turns before the league is over. This is getting to be a tougher league to get out off every year. Look at Fermanagh they went from D4 to top of D3 after two matches the next season.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 14/02/2013 13:44:31    1333922

Link

I read in the Irish Post today ( UK Irish Paper) that London see the Carlow game as one of their easier challenges, however they expect a dog fight - overall sound very confident - by the way is the Ed Finnegan playing for London an ex Carlow player?

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 464 - 14/02/2013 19:12:26    1334155

Link

Rathvilly man Alan Kelly in at corner forward, was that always the likely replacement for St. Ledger, a good move IMO, although some what unexpected,and Brendan Murphy still on the bench.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 15/02/2013 10:36:01    1334339

Link

Good start to the year lads, a lot better than our start last year and we still got promoted. Offaly and Limerick games will decide things in my opinion, 1 win from them should see you swap places with ourselves.

MickODire (Wicklow) - Posts: 109 - 15/02/2013 14:01:18    1334466

Link

who is the s murphy on the subs bench? bit slow this morning, the only one i can think of is the young lad that plays with fenagh

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1280 - 16/02/2013 10:50:04    1334774

Link

Shane Murphy of Clonmore I think. Sean M of Fenagh is on the U/21 team but not senior panel as far as I know.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 16/02/2013 11:12:08    1334776

Link