Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Supersub- dont know anything about JJ. Sean Gannon is out for the present anyway but perhaps after a few weeks away from football he might be encouraged to return to the panel - I think it was 'onion breath' on here who thought he would be back before the league was over? Neither Simon or Eric were asked to join the panel - not sure if Simon would have gone in as he has had a fair few injuries over the last year but i know Eric was hoping he would get a call up.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 31/01/2013 18:19:45    1326377

Link

Team for Sunday v Tipperary
Trevor O'Reilly, Barry John Molloy, Shane Mernagh, Benny Kavanagh, Kieran Nolan, Derek Hayden, Tony Bolger, Darragh Foley, Shane Redmond, Eoghan Ruth, Paul Reid, Ray Walker, Brian Murphy, Willie Minchin, Daniel St. Ledger.

I presume Ray will revert back to be a 7th defender?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 01/02/2013 10:24:38    1326548

Link

Not overly convinced that this is the strongest team we could send down to Thurles on Sunday.. Shane Redmond at Midfield and Tony Bolger at Wing-Back are questionable calls along with Mernagh ahead of Lawlor at Full-Back.. Ray Walker is needed at Midfield in Brendan Murphys absence instead of being deployed at an extra defender which in my opinion is a waste..

Whyalwaysme (USA) - Posts: 37 - 01/02/2013 14:00:26    1326726

Link

The best of luck to Carlow on Sunday. The forward division looks strong but I agree with the poster above that playing Walker as an extra back is a waste. Also Redmond probably should be wing-back.
However, I'd be surprised if that exact team will take the field. If Murphy is even 80pc surely he'll start? Does anybody know why Conor Lawler is not starting? I would have presumed that he had full back sown up.
Also, from what I hear, Sean Gannon will be back in a few weeks. The chap is burned out and needs a short break. Between club football and hurling and county and colleges football, he probably needs a rest.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 01/02/2013 15:12:34    1326783

Link

Lads in all fairness that team is going nowhere. No lawler, gannon, j. murphy or brendan. They were hard pressed to beat a poor second string Wicklow team and they were hammered by DCU and Dublin. How anyone who knows the first thing bout Carlow football could pick at least 3 of these players on first 15 is really beyond me.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 01/02/2013 16:55:06    1326862

Link

Really hope the team thats named will not start. You cannot possible leave Conor Lawler, Brendan Murphy off that team. And if John Murphy is fit he should be starting too.

Team should be:
O Reilly, Molloy, Lawler, Kavanagh, Nolan, Hayden, Redmond, Bren Murphy, John Murphy/Foley, Ruth, Reid, Walker, Brian Murphy, John Murphy/Foley, Ledger.

Worrying signs if Rainbow is going to keep starting players who are not up to intercounty level.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1113 - 01/02/2013 18:18:34    1326910

Link

Brendan Murphy is injured so surely he cannot be picked. Obviously they must have felt that Shane Mernagh deserved his place as fullback and John Murphy is only coming back from a cruciate injury. I would like to think that if these lads were fit they would be automatic starters. You would have to think that Tipperary would be too strong for this Carlow team but they have slid down 2 divisions in the last 2 years. But a new manager and a great run in the McGrath Cup would make you think they are determined not to stay in the basement division for more than a year!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 01/02/2013 19:00:46    1326945

Link

Pressure will be on Rainbow if he does not start with a victory.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 02/02/2013 16:14:24    1327225

Link

I hear Conor Lawer is only back from college football so thatswhyhe i s not starting. How they can start Tony Bolger half back i dont know.Where is Alan Callinan from Eire og,is he injured? Also Redmond is far from a midfielder. Whats the story with Ware/Jackson are they stilll part of the panel ? Natural midfielders

bobbybouche1 (Carlow) - Posts: 71 - 02/02/2013 22:04:06    1327397

Link

Have to first of all say I was totally wrong in my assessment of this team. But im delighted that they have proven me wrong. Lets hope we can keep focused now and drive on for the rest of the year. Believe R. Walker was brilliant but we know his enormous potential anyway.I wasnt at game so dont know the details except that we were 5 points down at one stage of first half so great comeback and well done to all.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 03/02/2013 16:13:30    1327562

Link

Well done Carlow. Wasn't at the game but 1-14 is great score to register. Equally 16 scores is a fair amount to concede. Was an extra defender deployed? Wouldn't it be great to push on from here!

Bosco (Carlow) - Posts: 664 - 03/02/2013 17:01:12    1327609

Link

Just back from Thurles aftera fantastic team perforamance today. Went 6 down midway through first half and despite the blow of missing an easy goal chance the player hung in and a goal just before half tie left just two in with a strong wind to come in second half. Down side was a bad looking injury for Dan St. L. possible broken leg (we missed him later for some long range frees and a 45 but thankfuly it didn't matter today). Brendan Murphy came on for him and although not looking anywhere near 100% fit he had a major influence as did John Murphy who came in late on but won some very important balls.

The ref did us no favours, very harshly send Kieran Nolan off for two soft yellows early in second half whilst he left on Barry Grogan for what seemed a straight red offence. To add insult Brogan then kicked an equaliser with his next touch. Ray Walker was indeed outstanding as sweeper and broke forward very effectively to give an overlap especially when down to 14 in second half. Ideally though with Brendan now back Shane Redmond should be the no 10 i.e the sweeper freeing up Ray to play in the forwards.

There seems to be good spirit in the squad and I suspect the players themselves know they are better than results have shown in recent years e.g having thrown away the qualifier v Leix last year and that they are determined to put the record straight. Vital now that we win the next two games at home to London and Leitrim. If we can we will go into the final four games with a great chance. I said when the fixtures came out that getting Tipp in game one might be the best time to play them. They will be disappointed to lose today and I doubt they will lose too many. Ourselves, Tipp, Offaly and Limerick to fight it out for two spots I reckon, pity we play the all away but no reason to fear anyone after today.

Well down to the management but especially to what seem to me to a very committed group of players, proud to be Carlowmen. Finally not often we outnumber the opposition but of the 474 official attendance I reckon we had the majority today, it certainly sounded like it near the end anyway!

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1193 - 03/02/2013 18:05:19    1327665

Link

Just goes to show how tight and competitive div. 4 is this year, few if any got this result right, the two most likely teams to get promoted got beaten to day and we beat one of them that being Tipperary, that was the result of the day because Tipp was only after coming down from div.3, I know it's only one game and there's a long way to go never the less it was a great win away from home with a goal thrown in for good measure, Clare, Tipp and Leitrim will be back but in the mean time job well done.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 03/02/2013 18:20:16    1327684

Link

Hopefully St Ledger hasnt broken his leg as suggested. That would be truly awful.

What's the story with KCR? Does Brendan Hennessy not do the commentary anymore?

Well done all concerned today. Lets make sure and follow it up against London.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 465 - 03/02/2013 18:28:57    1327694

Link

FYI - I'm told next Sunday's game v. London has been put back six days to Sat. the 16th. Two London club hurling teams playing in Croker next Sunday in all Ireland intermediate and juinor finals.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1193 - 03/02/2013 19:34:12    1327764

Link

Hi lads any word on the Carlow Ladies in the National League yesterday did not hear a word about them on the radio or the papers. Who were they playing and how did they get on

stock (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 04/02/2013 09:33:13    1327987

Link

that was a nice win yesterday, we moved the ball very well at times, got some nice scores and probably should have won by more, i would say our fitness looks a lot better than this time last year but also there are signs that this team is starting to mature, we don't often win tight games like that which made it all the sweeter, ray walker is a great addition to the team and hayden is playong great at cb.minchin is have a great start to the year he kicked some nice scores and won vital frees. we still have a problem at midfield but maybe john murphy can solve that problem for us

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1280 - 04/02/2013 10:02:31    1328004

Link

So the pre-match diagnosis by all the negative bloggers was wrong, not many of yee were apart of the 474 people that attended the tipp game but now that they have a hard fought win under their belts,yee will attend the London game and thats great, but who knows more about the players and I go as far to say football, the Carlow fans, bloggers or Rainbow? He's a leinster and all star winner dont know many neighbours of mine that can say that. He's trying a new system with a county that have won nothing in years, so why the negativity, he cant do a worse job that has been done only being ranked above London and KK. Support the county team and encourage!! Dont look for players outside that group to be brought in, its insulting for the team who put in tough work year in year out, while the same lads 'who should be in' do nothing over the winter andare happy with small personnal successess. They roast a poor corner back and everyone thinks they're county standard, county football is a mental commitment that only a few people handle. So accept the system and support our team through thick and thin, praise when needed and keep it positive and I hope humble pie is served tonight in some houses.

Goofy (Carlow) - Posts: 25 - 04/02/2013 11:06:46    1328065

Link

Well done. After years of toiling promotion could be on the cards this year. Remember Wicklow. Not much league success under Micko. Promotion to D3 at the first crack under Murphy. Carlow did not enjoy league success under Dempsey, although progress was made. Rainbow could be the man to get them over the line.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 04/02/2013 11:13:15    1328071

Link

While very disappointed with Tipperary's performance, I would take nothing at all from Carlow. Leading by 11 points to 5 coming near half time was a strong position to be in to face the breeze in the 2nd half, but the Carlow goal before half time had a huge impact on the game. Carlow certainly were the happier looking team going in at half time. It took Carlow a long time to get level and then go ahead, but although Tipp equalised it always looked that Carlow were the more likely winners in the crucial last 10 minutes. This result is a huge setback to Tipp's promotion chances even at this early stage with only 2 home games to come and 4 away matches. A lot of the teams in this Div. are capable of beating each other, but Tipp will have to beat Waterford in Dungarvan next Saturday night to have any chance of featuring in the promotion race. I am tired of saying it, but the standard of refereeing is probably the biggest problem facing Gaelic Football. The sending off of the Carlow wing back was an awful decision and not one Tipperary person thought that he should have got that second yellow card. Hope the Carlow forward is not as badly injured as it looked. Looked like a knee problem to me, but people were talking about a broken leg. Best of luck to him.

Star Gazer (Tipperary) - Posts: 436 - 04/02/2013 11:24:03    1328081

Link