Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Fantastic post Bennekerry. Really disappointed with this weeks Nationalist and the coverage afforded. Could the club PRO's do more to give an (unbiased!) report of matches to the journalists. With a full round of div1 and 2 games surely more than 4-5 lines on each wouldnt be too hard to compile. Jump ahead a couple of pages to the soccer and even mickey mouse games are getting half page reports.....
Maybe TAFKAN would come home from Russia and sort this out for us!!!!

Danoli (Carlow) - Posts: 62 - 09/04/2013 11:46:08    1363877

Link

On the other hand, if the people of Carlow and some of the clubs don't show an interest, then there's only so much the local papers can print, anything more than that would be only papering over the cracks.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1995 - 09/04/2013 12:36:05    1363936

Link

I know of plenty of clubs who send in detailed reports but it doesnt get into print. Thats not the issue. Its the paper trying to maximise it sales buy selling into a bigger area, West Wicklow. And Graigue people prob buy Carlow edition. Thats fine too but they should not be getting greater coverage. We're too quiet in Carla

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 09/04/2013 12:47:03    1363953

Link

Hello JACKL, you must have been very upset at how things turned out last Sunday lol.

kerry74 (Kerry) - Posts: 1354 - 09/04/2013 14:59:39    1364086

Link

The reason the local newspaper coverage is so bad is two fold. (A) one local paper won't be around much longer and has a weekly budget about the size of a decent restaurant bill and (B) the sad loss of Paul Donaghy and the fact that the county board changed their PRO.

Somebody mentioned that The Nationalist might be looking for extra circulation in the Graigue part of County Carlow or the Baltinglass part of county Wicklow and there is an element of truth of that but, in the main, it's because the corrs in those areas are able to deliver copy. The reason for the football getting less coverage than the soccer is because the foreign sports' enthusiasts have a fantastic system which forces the clubs to deliver reports or be fined - the GAA does not.

As for TAFKA, leaving Russia fairly soon but have rather different priorities than sorting out Carlow press coverage - long gone from that game...

Regarding Carlow GAA, it's clear that things have taken a backward step since Pat Deering decided to concentrate on politics rather than games and, as ever in Carlow, there is a shortage of talent in the county board. I have sympathy for Pat, however, because defending the property tax and the water rates would be easier than defending Carlow's performances this year.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the hurlers might just salvage their season against Antrim - but, the footballers? I can only despair. I'm kind of glad I missed all the games. It's probably much worse watching them than listening to the radio. It's the lowest ebb ever...

But let's ask ourselves one thing. Our footballers are 31 of 31 in Ireland when it comes to senior teams. Yet we claim to be a football county... Yet our hurlers are matching counties who put hurling first.. I did say matching not beating. So maybe we are a confused county and we need to get real?

I do respect the fact that there seems to be a greater interest in the football in Carlow... But? Time for a change of tack?

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 10/04/2013 15:40:14    1364921

Link

There is a lot of truth in what TAFKA is saying regarding the Nationalist coverage of gaelic games. Newspapers have changed a lot in recent times with the requirements to make money rather than serving the community now the main priority. In Paul Donaghys day the paper did not come out until Wednesday or Thursday allowing ample time to include more extensive reporting of games. Now the People and Nationalist are racing each other to be out on Tuesday with their tabloids which would not hold a candle to the Old style broadsheet papers.I notice that a number of Carlow clubs now use their own web sites or facebooks to report on matches almost immediately. That is now the way modern technology is going with the human race now demanding information almost immediately. Carlow still has top class Gaa reporters like Leo McGough ( What is he doing now) Kieran Murphy and Charlie Keegan but it seems they are at the mercy of the papers owners and editors who have no real relationship with Carlow or care little.

Chips (Carlow) - Posts: 141 - 10/04/2013 17:05:27    1365003

Link

Somebody mentioned that The Nationalist might be looking for extra circulation in the Graigue part of County Carlow or the Baltinglass part of county Wicklow and there is an element of truth of that but, in the main, it's because the corrs in those areas are able to deliver copy. The reason for the football getting less coverage than the soccer is because the foreign sports' enthusiasts have a fantastic system which forces the clubs to deliver reports or be fined - the GAA does not. Some Clubs do submit reports but they seem to be heavily edited.

As for TAFKA, leaving Russia fairly soon but have rather different priorities than sorting out Carlow press coverage - long gone from that game... Welcome home if you are coming home! It's a long way away and a much different place. Corruption and The Mafia and all that stuff..... here!

Regarding Carlow GAA, it's clear that things have taken a backward step since Pat Deering decided to concentrate on politics rather than games and, as ever in Carlow, there is a shortage of talent in the county board. I have sympathy for Pat, however, because defending the property tax and the water rates would be easier than defending Carlow's performances this year. You have a funny take on the World of Carlow GAA; you give too much credit to Pat and Luke!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the hurlers might just salvage their season against Antrim - but, the footballers? I can only despair. I'm kind of glad I missed all the games. It's probably much worse watching them than listening to the radio. It's the lowest ebb ever... You are probably right! It has been bad - which is such a contradiction of the effort and money put in..

But let's ask ourselves one thing. Our footballers are 31 of 31 in Ireland when it comes to senior teams. Yet we claim to be a football county... Yet our hurlers are matching counties who put hurling first.. I did say matching not beating. So maybe we are a confused county and we need to get real?
The hurlers have definitely stepped up to the plate but I think it has a lot to do with management and club support and structures.
The hurlers have had pretty good management and Meyler seems to be up there with good 'uns. The hurling clubs had a history of animosity back the years; it's the opposite now and they are all pulling together very well.
The footballers havent had a manager of note since Bobby Miller and most clubs are interested in themselves only. Rathvilly and Eire Og are providing the majority of players while other clubs have none or very few. Old leighlin 1. Blues 1. Kildavin 1. Tinryland 2/3. That doesnt help.
And most clubs have outside managers costing big money that puts clubs under pressure.
Your own club had only 14 players for their League game against Old Leighlin on Sunday. What does that say about the state of football? How have the Blues slipped back so far? They had a young senior team that nearly all should all be still playing. Bad move by them with their recent appointment of an outside selector. I hope they won't slide any further because we need every Club competing strong especially in the Towns.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 10/04/2013 17:33:30    1365038

Link

The view counts on the topics on this website should show you whether the interest lies in football or the lesser codes

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 123 - 11/04/2013 13:02:12    1365605

Link

MOH I think the reason there is some much talk about football on this is because the hurling folk are too busy outside doing something about it while you sit on your computer talking about it of course I could be wrong and am only slightly biased ;)

Eager_to_hurl (Carlow) - Posts: 81 - 11/04/2013 17:50:51    1366077

Link

Funny lads! Football is still the most popular of the two. Hurlers are outshining the footballers and deserve greater support

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 11/04/2013 18:14:00    1366104

Link

The main thing is that we have a bigger number of football clubs which means that our interests are always going to lie with football. the thing we need to do is look at what the difference is between hurling and football at underage and wonder why the hurlers continue to develop when we seems to be going know where throughout the development squads.

I remember a few years ago there was an u15/U16 football county tournament on held in carlow hurling club. carlow ended up in the final playing against dublin and only for a few bad decisions carlow would of won that. Like i know thats about 5 years ago and that it was just a tournament but that was a fit carlow team and I remember that Johnny Harmon from Palentine was severly upset after loosing that tournament. like we need to put passion into our teams at a young age in order for them to develop

carlow4ever (Carlow) - Posts: 81 - 11/04/2013 20:03:48    1366199

Link

You're onto something there. Johnny was so passionate about the teams he was involved with over the years. That's missing in all our teams at the moment. More so in our Management. Pride. In the name of Carlow.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 11/04/2013 21:20:52    1366274

Link

I see Westmeath are playing 1st round of their SFC this weekend. Good to see that a huge number of club players will get to play championship games now and not be told the SFC will start when Westmeath are out of Leinster/Qualifiers. Take note Carlow Co Board.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 252 - 15/04/2013 19:37:57    1368310

Link

Sounds sensible Novalis. Clubs have to be given more attention - Clubs are struggling badly

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 15/04/2013 19:49:53    1368319

Link

I just dropped in on our near neighbours Wicklow and I see they have a proper thread posted on their forth coming leinster senior football championship match which takes place a week or so after ours, so I would hope by this week end one of you good Carlow posters will do the honour and post a similar thread, we can then start a meaning full debate on the "Carlow v Westmeath" leinster senior football championship match 2013.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1995 - 30/04/2013 20:05:41    1376741

Link

supersub15
County: Carlow

1376741 I just dropped in on our near neighbours Wicklow and I see they have a proper thread posted on their forth coming leinster senior football championship match which takes place a week or so after ours, so I would hope by this week end one of you good Carlow posters will do the honour and post a similar thread, we can then start a meaning full debate on the "Carlow v Westmeath" leinster senior football championship match 2013.

There is one. It is called "Championship match Vs Westmeath"

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 30/04/2013 20:58:18    1376773

Link