Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Real 44, with nothing to play for, it will be hard for supporters to pay €10/13 to see two teams slogging it out with nothing to play for.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 06/04/2013 17:12:08    1361973

Link

Carlow team to play Waterford:
Andy O'Brien, Barry john Molloy, Shane Mernagh, Benny Kavanagh, Jeffrey O'Donoghue, Derek Hayden, Tony Bolger, Brendan Murphy, John Murphy, Alan Kelly, Ray Walker, Ciaran Moran, Brian Murphy, Jack Kennedy, Keith Jackson.

This is the team posted on the Carlow GAA website - 6 players from Rathvilly!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 06/04/2013 17:57:32    1361988

Link

Giving the panel a run out. Not a bright idea. This is the NFL and we should start our best team and try get 2 points that would take the brutal look off the table...

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 06/04/2013 19:43:52    1362028

Link

I think its a good thing he is playing the lads who have not much game time so far. It keeps lads interested and gives the "competitive" football, it allows the likes of jackson and moran to impress and also john murphy back at midfield

carlow4ever (Carlow) - Posts: 81 - 06/04/2013 21:11:44    1362100

Link

He will have to play the panel so that he can decide on his championship 15

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 06/04/2013 21:43:25    1362115

Link

A win is a must for Carlow, if London win their game and we loose ours then we finish at the bottom of the table.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 07/04/2013 11:38:19    1362181

Link

Shocking. Extra man and we were destroyed in second half. Waterford cut through our centre like a knife through butter. Serious indiscipline - ball brought on twice to make handy scores for mouthing when the ref's decisions were spot on. Too many individuals. Demoralising but the only consultation is the hammering Westmeath got from Derry. Maybe they're not all they're cracked up to be.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 07/04/2013 16:57:32    1362311

Link

That was the Westmeath b team playing today.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1054 - 07/04/2013 17:11:49    1362328

Link

So are we the 31st best or 2 worst football team in Ireland??? Stick to the hurling lads. Top 12 at least!

CARLOWTOTHECORE (Carlow) - Posts: 69 - 07/04/2013 17:28:11    1362359

Link

As London is not a county, we are therefore the worst county in the country, sad.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 07/04/2013 19:36:27    1362544

Link

We are a hurling county
We have a small population
Be as well off concentrate on just the one.

bouncingball (Carlow) - Posts: 124 - 07/04/2013 20:52:15    1362647

Link

oldmcdonald
County: Carlow

1361317 Know how you feel but we can't give up! Carlow will be there after us and the likelyhood is we may never win silverware.

Spot on Old Mc

The demise of Carlow football was clearly evident long before the appointment of Luke Dempsey, he managed to stabilise the sinking ship for a while, but now we are back to square one.
I have rarely seen a Carlow team perform as badly as they did not alone today but through out the league. We played more than 40mins with an extra man, we scored 0-05 in each half, Waterford scored 0-11 in the second half when playing with 14men. We should have been beaten by more as Waterford missed two gifted goal chances, that said Waterford never got out of second gear, third at best.
Six players from Rathvilly on the panel today what does that say, if anything.
Someone made the excuse for our dismal performance in saying that we are a small county with a small population, well I don't buy that, because so are Leitrim for example along with a few others, well Leitrim have a much, much smaller population than we have, they lost a lot of players through forced emigration, something like fourteen up to last Christmas, yet they finished mid. Table, that's because they kick with their feet, play from the heart and think with their heads, simple.
I am not blaming the players, or for that matter Anthony Rainbow, we have had numerous players and lots of different managers down through the years, but the end result was and is always the same, ie, failure to make progress. So, who does that leave to take the blame.
Div. 4. Are there any advantages from playing in of div.4, well for a start it's less stressfull, less expensive to run, no one appears to take responsibility for being there and you don't have to worry about being relegated, any worrying that's done is usually done by the supporters, although I could be wrong.
I am awaiting patiently for a statement from our CB to tell us what the reasons are for our on going failures of the Carlow football team, excluding our u-21's and what the positives are (if any) and finally should we be eagerly looking forward to our leinster senior football championship match with Westmeath.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 08/04/2013 09:36:37    1362796

Link

Agree with a lot of that supersub15.
No forwards. Maybe we need JJ Smith, Danny Molly, Horse Doyle to give a bit of scoring power to the panel.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 08/04/2013 11:48:23    1362972

Link

Waterford overcame the set-back of having Shane Aherne dismissed in the 30th minute to end their FL4 campaign on a high against Carlow in Dr Cullen Park.

Despite registering just one point from play in the opening 35 minutes, Anthony Rainbow's side led by 0-5 to 0-4 at the break.

With 55 minutes played, the sides were level on 0-8 apiece but Niall Carew's men took control of proceedings and earned a morale-boosting win.

It wasn't long after that we committed two fouls and had the ball brought forward for mouthing into scoring range and conceded two silly points.....
Rainbow highlighted this indiscipline after games but nothing has improved

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 08/04/2013 13:40:50    1363093

Link

Sure old McDonald while you are at it why dont you suggest we line out Rathvilly V Westmeath.

BigJim777 (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 08/04/2013 13:57:38    1363109

Link

Agree with alot of what you say Supersub. I dont know what the answer is to Carlows' problems but i dont think its Anthony Rainbow and his management team. The body language yesterday of the lads on the pitch was awful - i know there was nothing to play for but maybe a bit of pride in themselves not to finish 2nd from bottom of the worst division in Ireland (bottom if you count just the Island of Ireland!) It seemed to me that the lads had more than one eye on their club games later on that evening. But saying that the gameplan they are being asked to play is not working for Carlow - which everyone but the management team can see and which they are intent on persevering with. As for the county Board they like to point the finger at Croke Park, players, clubs etc. I think your right Supersub they are content to stay in Div 4 - less expense etc.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 08/04/2013 14:11:25    1363138

Link

Big Jim
Only saying we need some good forwards

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 08/04/2013 15:42:22    1363244

Link

I can definitely think of better forwards than those you mentioned, we need scoring forwards and none of them are prolific.

BigJim777 (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 08/04/2013 16:29:37    1363295

Link

I understand what your saying Oldmac, but those two examples of indiscipline did not loose us the match, if anything Waterford were more guilty of indiscipline than we were, with a few yellows and a red card but it didn't effect the final score, like I say they missed two open goal chances and a possible penalty.
- - dualsupporter, I think I do know what the problem is or should I say problems, like, it's so long ago that Carlow played "competitive"football that we don't know how to be competitive anymore,- there's that partisan bias between club and county,- those responsible for promoting football within the county are not doing their job full stop, - underage football is all but neglected,- there are inter county players on the team and panel but as soon as they take to the field they can't seem to play inter county football, - like, Brendan Murphy for example, a power full, strong, physical young man, a great ball winner, but as soon as he gets a hard earned ball what does he do, but gives it right back, he is no longer a team player because he plays his own game, too much ball goes through Brendan and its not always effective, as a result others can sit back and take it easy, simply because Brendan plays his own game. - dual supporter, the game plan that they are supposed play to is not working simply because as soon as they go out on to the pitch, three or four of them decide to play their own game.
- - - as oldmacdonald says, - Carlow will be there after us, and the likelihood is we may never win silver ware.

PS, oldmacdonald, I will admit Shane Mernagh was very lucky not to have got a straight red for his efford.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 08/04/2013 16:43:08    1363313

Link

Ive mentioned before the poor coverage in the local papers. It continues! The People has some ludicrous statement today along the lines 'everybody knows this team is on the verge of something great'.........where does that come from? What does it mean? Is there something cryptic in our performances that us ordinary fans can't understand? Is it wishful thinking? Can anyone shed light on what is meant?. Maybe I am missing something.

Speaking of the papers the coverage of Carlow Club League games has been declining for the past few years. At best a paragraph on each game is provided - the same as U12 games! The people might only give a paragraph to all the games!
In the Nationalist, we are regularly treated to full match reports on Graiguecullen in the Laois SFL and on some Wicklow Senior league games. There is a Laois edition to cover Laois affairs. Carlow Sport should do a better job of reporting CARLOW sport. I've no gripe with the teams covered but it should not be at the expense of Carlow coverage. Less opinion, less coverage of national sport and more local reporting would go down well.
I don't like being critical of the journalists because they are all clearly passionate about sport but it might be no harm to look at the coverage from the readers point of view.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 09/04/2013 10:42:01    1363801

Link