Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

That's true Black L. Do you think the black card will lead to more cynicism then? Some of the black card offences could be classified as red card offences by many refs. Will they take the easy option and have the offender replaced? Dont want to harp on about Bren but he could be seeing a lot of substitutions!

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 26/03/2013 12:18:40    1356539

Link

One thing I have noticed from all the games I have been at is the subs used in the last 3-5 mins what chance is that giving anybody or expecting these guys to change a game in so little time.. These players surely won't stick around when not getting a chance or getting a token gesture at the end of lost games.. This management needs to rethink the extra defender especially when we are using our two best ball carriers as the sacrificial lamb.

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 26/03/2013 15:01:47    1356699

Link

Spot on Bennekerry. New rule is going to be a joke. Unless someone strikes off the ball or punches someone in the face we'll seldom see red cards. If new rule was in place last Sunday Brendan would have got a black card. The only benefit of this new rule will be to those teams who wish to do even more cynical fouling, especially late on if holding onto a lead. The GAA even obliged them by increasing the number of subs from 5 to 6.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 26/03/2013 15:04:34    1356701

Link

You have got to remember that only three "black card" players can be replaced. If a team receives three black cards they still have 3 subs for tactical substitutions. It will take time to get use to but will change the culture in the GAA. There is no going back. People will have to get used to it.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 26/03/2013 16:10:51    1356775

Link

Spot on.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 26/03/2013 18:21:18    1356901

Link

With only one game left in the League, focus must now be towards Westmeath in the Leinster. It's been disappointing to finish in the bottom half again but the table doesnt lie.
An all out effort now is required. When morale is at it's lowest and players frustrated now is the time to rally.
We had bad campaigns before yet after a good 6 weeks concentrated work the team has improved beyond recognition. Remember Louth? The drawn game v Meath? These were after poor Leagues too.
Westmeath are flying and will be looking beyond Carlow. A time to catch them. A fit best fifteen and it's a 50/50 game.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 27/03/2013 08:18:12    1357036

Link

The championship will be Rainbow's first big test. Dempsey had bags of experience with Longford and Westmeath. He knew how to play the championship and masterminded the performance against Meath and Louth.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 27/03/2013 09:52:48    1357065

Link

Westmeath are heading for div.1, the only team in the country that remains unbeaten, we are at the bottom of div.4 and you think we have a chance of beating them, well I'll have a spoonful of what ever your taking.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 27/03/2013 10:24:29    1357085

Link

Me too supersub! But it will be a two horse race and anything can happen. A few injuries in either camp would have big impact on team performances.... we live in hope.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 27/03/2013 10:51:31    1357104

Link

You might as well dream here as in the bed.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 27/03/2013 11:35:56    1357130

Link

Whatever about dreaming or any other suggestions, they are our County team and the players and management have to be supported. We all have opinions but they are doing the job so to speak. Listening to the panel on the soccer last night and the post match interviews, I thought we have become very fickle and very conditional in our support. Let them get on with the job Too much negativity affects players, esp subs who by nature arent happy unless playing but are needed as much as the 15.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 27/03/2013 11:55:49    1357142

Link

I spotted on the HS home page a post which asked the question is Kilkenny football dead, ? and I just felt I had to reply, which I did, and in the reply that's exactly the way I see it, we have had a succession of senior football managers down through the years and between them all they left Carlow football as they found it, through no fault of their own may I add, simply because the appetite for football success in Carlow is not there.
Anthony Rainbow is a decent man, who in his football career was hugely successful at club and county level, He played in an National football league final, an All Ireland senior football final, he has two All star awards, two leinster senior football medals, he doesn't know how to loose, but not even he will change the state of Carlow football unless the clubs and player's in the county "volunteer" them selves and their efforts to Carlow football and to Rainbow.
In the past 25years at least, how many times has Carlow senior footballers won back to back leinster senior football games, or when was the last time they won three consecutive national football league games, the state we're in at the moment is, not so much about getting out of div. 4, but to finish in the upper half of the div. Should Waterford beat Carlow next week end which is more than a possibility, and I hope they don't because if they do, then the way I see it (and I'm only guessing) Anthony Rainbow will draft his resignation to the CCB and tender it after we exit the LSF championship, and who would blame him.
My guess would be, for him to stay with Carlow footballer's he would have to see them defeat Waterford decisively, and put up a stubborn resistance against Westmeath and get a reasonable or better result from that game.
Our CB, incidentally, have to share the responsibility in seeing this through.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 29/03/2013 12:58:23    1358398

Link

I spotted on the HS home page a post which asked the question is Kilkenny football dead, ? and I just felt I had to reply, which I did, and in the reply that's exactly the way I see it, we have had a succession of senior football managers down through the years and between them all they left Carlow football as they found it, through no fault of their own may I add, simply because the appetite for football success in Carlow is not there.
Anthony Rainbow is a decent man, who in his football career was hugely successful at club and county level, He played in an National football league final, an All Ireland senior football final, he has two All star awards, two leinster senior football medals, he doesn't know how to loose, but not even he will change the state of Carlow football unless the clubs and player's in the county "volunteer" them selves and their efforts to Carlow football and to Rainbow.
In the past 25years at least, how many times has Carlow senior footballers won back to back leinster senior football games, or when was the last time they won three consecutive national football league games, the state we're in at the moment is, not so much about getting out of div. 4, but to finish in the upper half of the div. Should Waterford beat Carlow next week end which is more than a possibility, and I hope they don't because if they do, then the way I see it (and I'm only guessing) Anthony Rainbow will draft his resignation to the CCB and tender it after we exit the LSF championship, and who would blame him.
My guess would be, for him to stay with Carlow footballer's he would have to see them defeat Waterford decisively, and put up a stubborn resistance against Westmeath and get a reasonable or better result from that game.
Our CB, incidentally, have to share the responsibility in seeing this through.

We all say we care about Carlow football but do we really? I think you have hit the nail on the head. We all know managers are appointed and told to get on with it. Outside managers dont know the local scene and need more support to get it right.
We are going round in circles. New Manager, new hope, same mistakes, same results, same frustration. Zero progress.
Hand on hear I am asking everyone to pick the best 30 footballers they have seen in Carlow club football in the last 3 years. Not asking you to pick fellow club men, or players on reputations, or whether they are playing for the county. Pick it on what you have seen with your own 2 eyes. See if there is a general agreement.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 29/03/2013 13:44:29    1358422

Link

Heres my belt at the best 30 in no particular order:

Goalkeepers: James Clarke, Craig Kearney, Trevor O'Reilly

Backs: Benny Kavanagh, John Hayden, Conor Lawlor, Alan Callinan, Derek Hayden, Paraig Murphy, Paul Kelly, Alan Corcoran, Shane Redmond, Paul Cashin, Barry-John Molloy

Midfielders: Ray Walker, Brendan Murphy, Keith Jackson, Murtough Ware, Mark Brennan

Forwards: Sean Gannon, Eoghan Ruth, Mark Carpenter, Eric Mcormack, Paul Broderick, Seamus Kinsella, Hugh Gahan, Brian Murphy, Eddie Byrne, JJ Smith, Daniel St.Ledger

Competition for places there would be serious! You would be doing well to pick the best 15 out of that!

Dirtyowlgearbag (Carlow) - Posts: 86 - 29/03/2013 14:08:03    1358442

Link

Thats some 30 Here is my choice
Trevor Reilly, James Clarke
Derek Hayden, John Hayden, Benny Kavanagh, Shane Mernagh, Alan Callinan, Barry John Molly, Conor Lawler, Shane Redmond, Barry Lambe
Murtough Ware, Mark Brennan, Brendan Murphy, Ray Walker, Darragh Foley
Sean Gannon, John Reid, Hugh Gahan, Bryan Carbery, Mark Carpenter, Eoin Ruth, Paul Broderick, Eric McCormack, Brian Murphy, Alan Kelly, , Cathal Coughlan, Bernard Hennessy, JJ Smith

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 29/03/2013 14:56:37    1358471

Link

Good panel there but stick with players that can contribute to the future (John Hayden was a great servant but will hardly feature for carlow again)

Craig Kearney/Trevor O'Reilly

Benny Kavanagh, Conor Lawlor, Paraig Murphy,

Alan Callinan Shane Redmond, Paul Cashin,

Ray Walker, Brendan Murphy,

Derek Hayden Mark Brennan, Eoghan Ruth,

Eric Mcormack, Mark Carpenter JJ Smyth

SUBS

Defence: Barry-John Molloy, Kieran Nolan, Shane Mernagh

Midfield: Keith Jackson, Murtough Ware, Sean Gannon,

Forwards Daragh Foley, Hugh Gahan, Brian Murphy, Daniel St.Ledger, Paul Broderick, Seamus Kinsella, Alan Kelly. Graham Delaney

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 29/03/2013 15:01:42    1358476

Link

Some great players 'oldmcdonald'. Imagine if we had all of those committed to the County. Interestingly, 15 of those you named arent even part of the panel this year -- for whatever reason.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 243 - 29/03/2013 15:09:26    1358478

Link

If those 30 made themselves available and trained together from November, with no on or off field indiscipline or walk-offs, we'd match any team in Leinster except Dublin. With such fierce competition for places we'd be as good as any of the rest and could be Leinster finalists. That's a very big "if" where our county is concerned admittedly.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 29/03/2013 15:20:49    1358482

Link

Novalis. Wouldnt fully agree with your team but i must say there is a lot of experience in your side who wouldnt be fazed by big teams or big-match days. Also would know how to hold on to a lead. players like Carpenter, Brennan, Smyth, Cashin, Redmond. Carpenter still seemed on top of his gane in the SFC .... not an old man yet.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 243 - 29/03/2013 15:34:34    1358491

Link

Lads no point including players who have continuously refused to play for county. i.e. Broderick, Gahan, kinsella, Kelly. Mark carp. is retired and mark brennan is committed to hurlers. So keep it to players who are available and willing to play.Think alan callinan was asked in too but no dice......

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 29/03/2013 16:07:34    1358514

Link